August 4th Power Outages

At 3pm JCP&L has more than 50% of customers without power!
http://outages.firstenergycorp.com/nj.html

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Aug '20

Out here in Oxford. Went down around 2:15.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '20

Oddly Great Meadows has power

Bug3
Aug '20

Beach got clobbered. We got a couple hours of wind to go.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Aug '20

Ours just came back on at 3:00 after being out for an hour or so.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Aug '20

Just came back on in independence

Consigliere
Aug '20

We were out in htown..... 12:15ish until 3:30ish.....

Annie moss
Aug '20

Still out in Panther Valley as of 4pm.

Seeshark Seeshark
Aug '20

So it's hopeful for allamuchy panther valley soon...hopeful!...3wbdwmj whereabouts are you?

Itiswhatitis
Aug '20

Franklin twp.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Aug '20

I find it amazing, our mail was delivered at usual time and also Fed Ex packages
were delivered! They deserve a raise!

Spring fever Spring fever
Aug '20

Still zillch in Panther Valley.

For reals For reals
Aug '20

Holy whatever ---- we have hundreds of outages and no ETRs. Maybe 100 in H-town alone. 1/3rd of the county is out. The biggest ones have dispatched but the others....

Gonna be awhile, best luck to all.

http://outages.firstenergycorp.com/nj.html

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Aug '20

Mt rascal is out by 19 power lines down. Even one snapped

Toni Chadwick Toni Chadwick
Aug '20

Still out in Hackettstown as of 5:30

Jacob
Aug '20

Where are you in Hackettstown Jacob? Im on Main St, we have power

Hasting Square has been out since 1pm- no est. restore tiMe

Erica Erica
Aug '20

Out on Alphano Road in Great Meadows

Big Al Big Al
Aug '20

power is still out on warren Street since 12:30. Being on the road to the highschool ive not lost power here for more than 20 minutes in the past 15 years

I got a notice much earlier that the power going to the 5 Points light was out. I live only a few blocks from there and never had a problem, even though 2 days ago and 3 days ago I had power glitches with short outages. In my old hood in Hopatcong, a tree was down across my old road about 10 houses up (2 houses up from my coworker). Power out there.

Phil D. Phil D.
Aug '20

Htown has close to 100 outages. Onesies, twosies, so slow going. Warren recovered a couple thousand, lots with the fix near Oxford but they’re going to swarm entire areas for these little ones. .

Use the outage map folks, no etr’s listed but wull be there someday. With 26% of the cty out and we be lucky, could take a bit. Htown usually comes up faster. Its the coffee and donut access ;-). If 26% of the cty out, when that number starts to move, the swarm had arrived! It’s on the website.

Aug '20

Out on mountain ave and still no power or an estimated restoration time.

Jacob
Aug '20

Still out too in Allamuchy. Anyone knows if any place to get food is/are open?

SoccerMomof2 SoccerMomof2
Aug '20

Mine came back on about an hour ago.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '20

Power back on at Heath Village.

KMC77
Aug '20

We got pizza from Domino's no power out on Main st.

Jessica Wilmer Jessica Wilmer
Aug '20

Warren still out - PV still out .. signs of the times all good .. teach your children well...lol .. nice to have them offline...

W. Nykin
Aug '20

Pizza from Domino's is more of a problem than no power. LOL

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '20

1st time ever. Great meadows is in better shape then most of the sounding area after a storm.

Indie Indie
Aug '20

Great meadows out of service ...

W. Nykin
Aug '20

If it is any consolation there are power line repair crews pouring into the area from all over.Saw trucks and crews from Ohio etc...

Zipp
Aug '20

Great Meadows with power still on after this storm. Maybe the thousands of complaints to JC&PL about power outages have caught the attention of someone who could order repairs and keep the powerlines operating and delivering service to the customers?

Zipp
Aug '20

How could a tropical storm do this much damage? We knew about this for a few days. I’m still out of power, lost it over 12 hours ago

Cody T. Cody T.
Aug '20

By the look of the outage maps and a drive around last night, this one is going to be days without power for many. I would not be surprised to see Fri/Sat/Sun restore times begin to post on JCPL site. PSEG site began posting Aug 8 and 9th restore times about an hour ago.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Aug '20

If anyone needs a hot shower and/or a break from these troubled times PM me.
We are in it together.. helping one another

It’s bad. Think under 50k came up during the night. Warren moved from 27% out to 23% out or 12405 at 6am.

No ETRs, not even the famed “most will be up by xxx” punt. They are at a few sites, I can see some requests for more cutters.

They say they brought 1,800 more resources to bear.

It’s a really nice day; hopefully a good day.

Aug '20

12449 out for Warren Cty by 7am ---- so still going the wrong way......

Aug '20

They said maybe Saturday or Sunday...

W. Nykin
Aug '20

Any news on when power will be restored for Panther Valley?

Mike
Aug '20

Been almost a full day without power now. The storm didn’t even seem that bad here so I don’t know what’s taking them so long

Urav
Aug '20

Any news on when power will be restored on Old Allamuchy Road. Power went out yesterday around 12:30 then came back on again around 3 pm but unfortunately went back out again around 5 pm. Tried to again report the outage but the automated JCP&L message said that the outage was previously reported. Not sure what to do, just want to make sure that JCP&L realizes that the area lost power for a second time.

Snapdragon
Aug '20

Just spoke to a JCPL rep on the phone who provided me no information whatsoever. Couldn't tell me why power was out, if the repair process had even begun, or when they had estimated return of service. Ridiculous. I know this isn't a simple process but the sheer lack of any pertinent information to assuage customers fears is ludicrous.

In the dark
Aug '20

Has anyone seen the tree guys on site yet? Pretty sure they have to clear the area before JCPL comes in.

Treetops Treetops
Aug '20

JCP&L has been useless online or on the phone…They do not give any helpful information and do not seem to know what exactly is going on. How does a company like this stay in business? At the very least provide clear communication to your customers.

Jules Jules
Aug '20

Swarm of power Trucks on petersburgh rd. mount rascal, and other roads in the area

Bug3
Aug '20

My location is almost never power down,but I can tell you from driving around that this storm did major damage.
Quick hit and BAM.

Stymie Stymie
Aug '20

Once again customers and the hard working service folks are being massively let down by the poor communication skills of First Energy management. No ETRs, no general estimate when some or most will be up.

I am guessing they will use "swarm" tactics so we will see nothing, and then things move at a pretty good pace. Unfortunately, we seem to be in the nothing period still. Keep an eye out for trucks ---- like Canadian geese, it you see one, there's probably a flock nearby! Think Bug just posted: THEY HAVE ARRIVED.

Good news is down from 12,000+ to 9395 for Warren county since 7am (now 1pm), about a 25% decrease from 24% out to 18% out total for the county. Bad news is I am gathering the fix is in for a few large outages, maybe even just one, and most of the rest, the smaller ones, don't have etr's, on-sites, whatevers. I see no global "most will be up by xxxxx" at all yet, think someone above said Sat or Sun, that's a pretty poor outlook. Plus, when they put the big outages back on line, it's only a little while until all the little outages under that umbrella get noticed. So the bottom line outages and bouncing up and down.

They owe us a best guess when 50% will be up, 75%, something. Deplorable management. FYI, Passaic still has 99% out.

Tale of the tape, outages by township:
Allamuchy - 97% out
Belvidere - 5 houses
Blairstown township - 6%
Franklin - 23%
FRELINGHUYSEN - 20%
GREENWICH - 48%
HACKETTSTOWN - 42%
HARDWICK - 40%
HARMONY - 12%
HOPE - 9%
INDEPENDENCE 49%
KNOWLTON - 7%
LIBERTY - 16%
LIBERTY - 3%
MANSFIELD - 9%
OXFORD - 3 guys
PHILLIPSBURG - 4%
POHATCONG - 1%
WASHINGTON - 4%
Washington township - 6%
White - 1%

Aug '20

One of the outage spots in Panther Valley on the JCPL website has been updated and lists a 9pm restoration time tonight. Praying that's true and stretches out to our place on Alphano Road

In the dark
Aug '20

Fake news. Liberty has 16% and 3%.

Philliesman Philliesman
Aug '20

They changed it to 11pm recently :(

Mike
Aug '20

Just saw a JCP&L truck & a tree guy parked at Chainsaw Charlie's over on 46 by Casa Bonita.

ChrisK ChrisK
Aug '20

For warren cyt 7am 12,000, 9395 - 1pm, and 8700 at 5pm so 700 for the day; hopefully many more before dark. It seems they are starting, we do have some 9pm ETRs, just a few and scattered, not sure what that means. And the push started in Hardwick, which seems a strange place to begin, and maybe Washington.

No overall statement from JCPL, except for this: FirstEnergy Corp.'s utilities have restored service to more than 288,000 customers of Jersey Central Power & Light (JCP&L) and Metropolitan Edison (Met-Ed) who lost power after Tropical Storm Isaias swept through the region Tuesday. Crews are working around the clock to assess damage and restore service to approximately 588,000 customers who remain without power in New Jersey and Pennsylvania. As estimated restoration times are available, they will be posted on our outage maps.

When you look at our results; you can only conclude it aint' us that is getting restored. FYI --- LastEnergy has free water and ice at our Shoprites.

outages by town as of 700am/5pm %%%

Alamuchy - 97%/no change
Belvidere - 5 houses/5
Blairstown township - 6%/4%
Franklin - 23%/nc
FRELINGHUYSEN - 20%/nc
GREENWICH - 48%/nc
HACKETTSTOWN - 42%/nc
HARDWICK - 40%/2%
HARMONY - 12%/nc
HOPE - 9%/nc
INDEPENDENCE 49%/52%
KNOWLTON - 7%/7 houses
LIBERTY - 16%/nc
Lopatcong - 3%/nc (since when is a typo fake news......:>)
MANSFIELD - 9%/nc
OXFORD - 3 guys/nc
PHILLIPSBURG - 4%/,1%
POHATCONG - 1%/nc
WASHINGTON - 4%/1%
Washington township - 6%/5%
White - 1%/nc

Aug '20

Long valley first

Wendy Cirinelli Wendy Cirinelli
Aug '20

Spoke to a JCPL rep a few minutes ago. She confirmed power will return tonight for us on Alphano Road, just couldn't confirm an exact time. Hoping a few hours before midnight instead of a few hours after...

In the dark
Aug '20

down to 6400 out in warren county by 7pm, that's 2300 tween 5 and 7 so there is action.

I guess action is better than communication at this point......

Aug '20

I really don't understand why people dont understand...we without power live in a rural community/county. There are old trees that do fall down and other electrical issues from our suppliers. If you all didn't learn from Sandy Cane...that's on you. Get real people & protect yourselves...Ahhh you know... like it's a covid thing!

Alamuche Alamuche
Aug '20

Amen Allamuce. Even the more populated counties have return to service dates of Saturday and Sunday. And it’s not just JCPL it Is PSEG as well. Not sure people are really grasping the magnitude of 1.4 million homes without power. It’s going to take some time.

Aug '20

Here ya go......

Tropical Storm Isaias - JCP&L Storm Update - Global ETR Established

JCP&L crews are continuing to work around the clock to safely make repairs for customers affected by Tropical Storm Isaias. JCP&L has established a Global ETR (Estimated Time of Restoration) of 11PM Aug. 11. As more crews arrive times may be adjusted downward.

Aug '20

Eh, what's a week out of your life in the big scheme of things?

ianimal ianimal
Aug '20

Re: August 4th Power Outages

Counted 70 big repair trucks and about 20 small truck and pickups in PV Mall parking lot last night from Mid Ohio Electric..they were dispatched for Florida but resent to NJ/NY for repairs. Florida did not get a hard hit...so today they were all over Htown working...relax people help is here gonna take a few days to get it all up and running...and like Allamuche said...GET A GENERATOR if you are going to carry on please....trust me has happened before and it will happen again so be prepared...and stop calling JCPL....they KNOW there is a problem....The estimated fix is from now till Sunday....it will restore in sections...The End

Mongie Mongie
Aug '20

I don’t believe it’s people that don’t understand why they don’t have power due to the storm. I think it’s understood that yes we are in a rural area and it’s bound to happen. It’s that there is absolutely a terrible lack of communication from the power company and that is what is driving people batty. If JCP&L tells us August 11 then at least we know how to properly prepare for the next 6 days. Some of us are taking care of elderly parents or have little children or animals that can’t tolerate heat or might need power for oxygen machines. I think most of us are just looking for an ETA so we can properly prepare whether it be one, six or however many days.

Jules Jules
Aug '20

What part of there is no guarantee of time is it that people don't get?

It's like those parents who want guarantees that their child won't get Covid at the school.

Buy a generator if it's a problem for you.

callitlikeIseeit callitlikeIseeit
Aug '20

If you like on country road and have overhead electric get a backup energy source.

Hahahahaha...for all the logical people on here, I know you get it. But for the rest..ahhh..I got nothin!

Alamuche Alamuche
Aug '20

+1 Jules. I can take the truth; I just have an issue with the incompetence and lies of first energy management.

I have noted how over the years how they have degraded communications for who knows what nefarious marketing goal. If they’re pitching 8/11; that’s a better twist than pitching tomorrow and then resetting seven times like they’ve done in the past.

Hey, I have a gene, and it’s warm, not gonna die from the cold. But after 150 hours or more, gonna need a propane run, oil change, etc. so yeah —- it’s good to know in advance rather than fly blind. And if it’s freezing, that communication can be life affecting as these schmucks have left us out in the cold with incompetent communications in life threatening weather too.

400 more up from 5pm to 7pm, pretty good day.

Aug '20

Allamuchy down to 69% without power now. Finally getting somewhere

Urav
Aug '20

Heck, when I was in Parsippany checking on my Parents' house earlier this afternoon I found that they were still without power too. That's a relatively population dense area with major and minor highways running through or intersecting closely... 80, 280, 287, 46, 202 & 10. There were a number of areas still closed off and trees being cut up. Fingers crossed there's no more rain before the power comes up or their basement and everything in it may get wrecked.

Phil D. Phil D.
Aug '20

Power is back at my house in PV

Urav
Aug '20

We start the day around 4,000 for the county; about 8,000 restored yesterday.

“That’s a pretty good day, Sergeant Savage....”. (We were soldiers)

Aug '20

What kind of communication do you want from JCP&L? In order to give reliable estimates they first have to survey the situation to get a sense of the scale and scope of the problems. Otherwise those estimates would be useless. Also they have to deenergize and make safe the downed lines at the same time.

The only true solution would involve electric bills that are like car payments (luxury car in the summer) so that they can bury more lines and/or have hundreds of more crews at all times. And don't forget it's not like they want you to be in the dark. There's a financial incentive for them for your meter to be spinning!

Route 46
Aug '20

Come on guys. The week long power outage last year should’ve taught everyone that you can’t complain about the power company or lack of electricity on Hackettstown life without getting ripped apart...

I would think that experts could provide information that helps customers make the best decisions for family safety. And that’s critical when weather conditions are extreme.

Let’s take the current case. After a day or so these experts announced 11:30 on the 11th that most will be up. First, most = 51% to 99% but historically for these experts, lucky to be 90%. Sounds good unless u b in the 10% that in all that time they can’t give you a clue until the 11th at 11:30.

Second, we got 66% of our outages recovered yesterday, apparently a blue bird the experts couldn’t give us a hint about?

If this was your employee updating status to you in this way, they would be fired. Why condone this bad behavior by first energy management?

This has nothing to do with rural or suburban; nothing to do with the competent field workers, it has everything to do with bad management incompetently communicating with its customers.

First energy: Just tell us what you tell each other because you can be darned sure you know what’s happening and it’s not that on 8/11 at 11:30, someone will flip a switch.

Last - just cause 8k came back, don’t think the 4k today is a no brainer. Low hanging fruit theory....

Aug '20

SD, this is a mini-disaster situation. The numbers game in these situations will always be that way. What if we got 100% winds with 90%+ out? Would you still expect an accurate estimate? It's a numbers game, return X amount of service per day/week...

I expect they can tell us what they know. Do you really think this is the best intelligence they have about managing this situation? This is the forecast they are managing resources to? They know exactly what the situation is, what the resources are, and what progress will happen each day based on the situation and resources deployed. Sure, there will be set backs, perhaps more than overachievements. And they will update and re-engineer the schedule at least once a day, if not more often.

What’s missing for some marketing reason is effective communications to customers. It’s like dealing with Oz. Worse yet, their data systems and reporting used to be better so we know they can improve. It’s a choice, not an inevitable effect of power outages.

I mean given your description; how do they know how many people to bring to bear, and more important to them, when to send them home? Wanna bet those out of state resources are out of here nano seconds after their last recovery? They know what’s happening, ijay, they know. They just choose not to disclose.

Aug '20

Power back on Mt. Bethel Rd Mansfield 29 minutes ago. Just received email from jcp&l say estimated power restoration 11pm tonight. On the ball as always

It's dollars. To get better maintenance and emergency response will cost money. Competition would help too, but maintaining infrastructure is difficult when multiple parties are involved.

Think they are still cherry picking low hanging fruit 20 customers and up with many having the 11pm today marker but fixing all day.

Should make some good progress today and still continue good progress as they hopefully target the smaller 1-20’s soon.

It’s a numbers game unfortunately, combined ease of fix and size of outage. Just don’t want to be in that last 10%. That’s where the 11th comes in.

Aug '20

Does anyone know if power has been restored in Countryside apartments?

Pamela Pamela
Aug '20

908-852-7340

Call the office there. I'd gather they would know!

https://geltmanandcompany.com/countryside-apartments-2/

Of course they are hitting the low hanging fruit first, makes sense! Do you expect them to hit the country roads and fix a lot of line for a few houses before the same fix and restore hundreds (for example). Country road comes last...

No I don’t. Do you? Sometimes an observation is just that in case people wonder: “why me?” Or if you want to guess how close to the 11th you might be. Cuz guessing is all we got. No communication update.

1847 at 5;45, so picked up about 2200 on the day with more expected by 11. Good weather and the field reps are putting in the hours tyvm.

Hot spots include htown, alamuchy, indy with hundreds out still.

Aug '20

So we start the day at 7700, and increase of 6000 but down from last nights peak of 8800.

New hot spots of mansfield, washington boro and wash township account for the new spike. H-town still bad.

No new communications or updates since 8/5.

Aug '20

SD, what's left now? Mostly damaged overhead service to individual homes or the country road...

Why are you asking me? Didn’t First Energy update you :-)

As of friday afternoon, they quote 72% done. Most of this is not rural, but East of us.

That means 731 to go in Warren, 56 different locations in Hackettstown alone. That’s not rural wither. About 10% of the original outage left in Warren.

So we did better than other counties, our fixes came faster, unless you are unlucky, they will beat their 11:30pm on the 11th date, there’s still free ice and water at Shoprite, and First Energy’s management’s communication to customers about repair efforts still sucks.

That’s what’s left ijay. Great effort by the ground forces and a lousy customer communication of said efforts.

At least it’s not freezing.

Aug '20

If you live in a wealthy area your power will come on first. LOL just how it goes.

It was a good night; we start the day at 279 with about half of that in Mansfield and Washington which hopefully will allow focus. Many are getting 11 am ETRs which is also heartening.

Good luck to all, should be a good day to wrap it up.

Aug '20

SD, of course good work by the linemen. I don't see much changing as improvements would cost money that people in general don't have the ability tor desire to pay.

There is very little cost to good communications......it's almost impossible to get a sound readout from this company during a disaster. Disasters are commonplace, why can't they figure it out? It appears to be a choice.

For some reason, undoubtedly perceived to be tied to the bottom line, it's a choice First Energy management has made.

Using their own data streams, even an idiot like me, can relay more information than they choose do.

Because they are a regulated utility, basically a monopoly in the case if plant and infrastructure, our only choice is to complain to our representatives.

I agree, plant improvements cost money, as to people having to pay --- you and I really don't know the math there. Obviously, there is a level of spending already, is it too high, too low.... would more = more or less profit. We don't know. Sure, they have had some bad years, but most are good years, they are not bleeding. Here's there profit margin over time: https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/FE/firstenergy/profit-margins

But really, none of that matters. All I suggest is that they could communicate to us the same status they communicate to each other OR a reasonable facsimile of that so that we can better safeguard our loved ones. I am not looking for plant improvements, although I would not turn them down, I am for an improved communication system over the one that pitched an 8/11 at 11:30 pm "majority" of the people will be fixed (that's a minimum of 50% and, historically 80% for these schmoozers) with Warren at 18,000 out on the 5th, and today, the 8th, at 10am, we have 353 out. Why couldn't they update us? Didn't they know how good they were doing? HEY dunderheads, you had the "majority" freaking 2 days ago or more, toot your horn... Can you hear us now?

Hopefully that helps clarify Ijay ---- it's just about clear, concise, comprehensive status communications instead of the crap they spew.

FYI --- on this disaster they did have a new twist. Instead of pitching the "majority" for a short term fix time goal and them moving the goal posts 5 times or more, instead they set the goal posts ten football fields away ---- wow, what a communication improvement. Does it matter? After all, it was warm out. Well, imagine all the emergency generator sales based on that estimate uptime for the "majority" that got fix in two days instead of 7, as forecasted. How many people scurried to get one only to install as the power came up? And that's a good outage. I can remember a number of blizzards packing up the family for an emergency run to relatives with power only to return myself to a home fully powered.

Sure, we should all have backup, but not because they can't communicate.
Communication has outcomes; good communication has better outcomes.

Aug '20

I do plan to talk to JCP&L, but does anyone know if they would put wires underground that runs up a long driveway?

Smilingbecs Smilingbecs
Aug '20

On your own dime.

Under ground wires are worthless. we have them in our development. they eventually lead to above ground where there are trees falling over them

Hadenough Hadenough
Aug '20

I wouldn't say underground wires are worthless. Yes, they eventually lead to above ground lines that can be taken down. But you virtually eliminate the chances of you being the only one out on a block by a tree taking the wires off of your house and the chances of those week long outages.

And as we know about outages...there's strength in numbers. If there's an outage, you generally want to be part of as large a group as possible to hasten the repairs.

Route 46
Aug '20

Underground wires absolutely prevent single home outages.

Aug '20

Underground conduits can leak and short out underground electric utilities...and then they need to dig them up to repair..

Bug3
Aug '20

Bug in rare cases yes. Mine are 40 years old and no issues

Aug '20

80 during the day, 149 end of day, around 70 now. Most townships 5 or less except wash at 20. If you’re out, they should be able to give you an etr. If you’re up, don’t be surprised to go down, it’s been bouncing.

We fared better than most on this one. Just got worse the more East you went.

Aug '20

Thanks for the feedback. I think this is worth exploring even if it's our dime. Every time a wire goes down in our driveway we get trapped. This time we had a tree and wires down and the tree guys couldn't do anything until the power company pulled the fuses for our wires.

Smilingbecs Smilingbecs
Aug '20

Down here in Toms River our development has underground wires and we never lost power. Other areas of town are still out.

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
Aug '20

Two choices: cut the threes above or bury. If bury, you can prejudge the difficulty; its a small trench that’s one cost. Any obstructions like cement, creeks, etc or straight trench? Obstructions increase your difficulty/cost. Then it’s just cable with similar connections at each end. And you get to remove the wires from top of house! Probably Wires electric in town can do it.

All my out buildings are wired underground, did it myself, and some are big boxes too. House has too many obstructions, just too costly or it would already been done. Have had to cut my way out three times in 30 years and now new trees have replaced the offenders ;-)

We start the day at 97 picking up a few overnight in Lopatcong. Many have etrs. But not all. Htown still has a number out.

Aug '20

My neighborhood has underground electrical also, BUT the connection to the electrical grid has to go above-ground somewhere and if there is a problem there, then we are out too. Many times our outage originated in Hackettstown or along Route 46 or even on Russling Road. So it's not the fool-proof solution until all electrical wires are buried.

Lonesome Dove Lonesome Dove
Aug '20

Most of you on here will be underground before the wires are.

That I am sure of.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Aug '20

At a prior home which had above ground service I cringed when ice storms lowered the service line to my house. It never failed when I was there (pre-Sandy) but it was not a comforting feeling. If you have the option and it's within your budget, go underground.

Dball; +1 and ;-)

Facts say more reliable and probably should be mandatory for any new construction.

I dream of a day Main Street loses the eyesore, but will join you in watching from below ;-)

34 out and some townships like Liberty off the list. Go figure, Liberty not on this list. A first!

Aug '20

It is amazing Liberty is back on! I drove 46 from Roxbury to Knowlton on Wednesday and you could see there was less tree, limb, and leaf debris that way. Regardless, still incredible.

Route 46
Aug '20

We didn’t get hit all that bad with wind during the storm in Liberty. I only lost power twice the day of the storm- and that was for less than 2 hours.

They have cut a bunch of trees away from the lines out in Liberty the past few years- that has totally helped.

In the past 5 years I have owned my generator- I have only had to use it once for a few hours- so something must be getting better.

The Rhyme Animal The Rhyme Animal
Aug '20

Florida uses steel poles. JCPL should begin the process of when a pole comes down it gets replaced with something like steel.

Aug '20

Or concrete poles.

I miss the Chester pole farm.

Aug '20

Stranger,
I believe it is still there.

Jnnjr Jnnjr
Aug '20

JCPL doesn't own all the poles. Every other pole is owned by the phone company..some kind of deal the worked out

Bug3
Aug '20

Bug even if every other one where steel it would be better then where we are today.

Aug '20

Bug3, that's not how it works. The poles are owned by whomever originally installed them. in some locations, they are "BT" (Bell Telephone)-designated; other poles have "NJ" designations, referring to the defunct NJ Power and Light. Usually, the majority of poles in a given area will have the same designations as they were all installed at the same time.

A lot of times, what you will have are predominantly telephone poles, with an occasional electrical pole where the power company needed to install an inline pole to provide service to a specific property. In the vast majority of regions, telegraph/telephony came well before the Era of alternating current distribution lines.

but in the modern day, whose name is on the pole matters next to nothing. everyone is responsible for their own utility lines. I had a project in Raritan Township where we needed to get BT poles moved, even though there were no longer any telephone lines on that pole run. JCP&L did the relocation.

ianimal ianimal
Aug '20

I think you guys are way too pole focused.

End of day, 16 out across 6 locations, 5 out in htown. Not many etrs beyond the mythical 8/11 at 11:30pm, a goal they met in our case 3 days ago or more. A$$hat status updates.

If you are out and don’t have an etr or a reason, I would look for a human tomorrow to get one. You are literally the last man.

This one is closed. First Energy customer communications yet another total failure.

Aug '20

Just wait until we get a CAT 1 or 2 storm hit us. Not a matter of if but when. If you are lucky, it won't happen in your lifetime. With the warming waters due to Global Climate Change there is an increasing chance. We have too many trees in NJ, a CAT 1 or 2 in NJ will be devastating. We are taking not days but weeks, and if it is a CAT 2 maybe even months.

SD, do you have power? Are you running a generator now? If you are an advocate then you need to preach beyond this forum as nothing will change just preaching to this forum...

We already had one, First Energy did a terrible communication job in that storm too. Forced to make communication improvements after Sandy. But, in actuality, it got worse. That’s when they shifted to “most will be up by....” strategy and the constantly moving goal posts. The web makes it easy as the page just refreshes and is never dated so hard to track. Sandy may have had a dozen different end targets. My gene melted down at the end.

And Sandy was nothing compared to the microburst that almost killed me the previous Spring. Because of that, my trees were pruned and hardened just before Sandy and I suffered no damage. Over 20 trees had been dropped before Sandy had even hit.

To answer your strange questions, yes, no, already done, and could use your help.

My question is why do you accept and condone? Do you really believe they cannot communicate status better?

At some point, silence becomes support.

2,600 still out, 17 in Warren, all Warren townships affected under 5 each.

Aug '20

Strangerdanger

As far as catching the "updates", a person could always take screenshots and keep them on file to catch them in their backtracking, etc.

Phil D. Phil D.
Aug '20

This all pushes me to get solar with a battery backup system on a future home, and a home with no tall trees near the house.

Thanks Phil; if you noticed my rants, especially in the past, I gots it covered. Nothing more tragic than tracking 7 or more goalpost moves and HL allows me to document all the wY back to Sandy and beyond.

However, as noted above, First Energy has stopped the continually moving goalposts and, this time, opted for setting it long.....very long. Remember, the goal was “most” up by 8/11 at 11:30pm. I believe they hit that goal 24 hours in and I guess held victory parties for the next five days :-).

Meanwhile, Warren repairs moved at the speed of light, Passaic at a crawl. But neither had better status updates except those original goal posts.

It took 24 hours to issue an overarching press briefing which didn’t hit the website for 48 hours. You have to be a website maven to find county outages, townships outages, and even etrs.

So thanks, but at this point I can pretty much read the outage map and tell what’s really happening. Just wish they didn’t have to leave others in the dark, communications wise.

I think FE setting the goal posts long is better, lets you know worst case, and seems accurate. It’s just that the 80% who come back earlier might feel less stressed if they had a clue. Of course, in warmer weather, this is all more trivial than when you can freeze.

What vexes me is that FE knows the truth; they just can’t figure out how to share the truth they know with us.

Although, am I smoking something or did we just loose 3,000 in Allamuchy and Belvidere? Go figure: should be up by 11.

Aug '20

WTH !! Power out again in PV

Local Gal Local Gal
Aug '20

Really it’s sunny how is the power out again

Belvidere back, 500 in Allamuchy by 10:30. Something pretty good sized, probably storm fix, heat related or both. They are on scene already.

Aug '20

Looks like PV power is back on. Go figure. 6 hours ahead of “schedule”

Local Gal Local Gal
Aug '20

When an outage is reported, often times a standard etr interval is reported. Especially if crew is dispatched. They update upon on site assessment; in this case the update was: fixed.

Aug '20

SD

CBS 2NY just showed about 50.000 still out in NJ and 70,000+ out in CT. Morris County seems to have gotten a huge beat down all over by the looks of things this past Saturday.

Phil D. Phil D.
Aug '20

Phil, As pf 7pm, FE/JCPL has 2,000 out. The other 48k must be that other power company!

Didn’t they tell you :-)

Aug '20

SD

Around 5,000 was what JCP&L reported to the news. I typoed both an extra "0" and did a European comma "." Oops. Total out for NJ/NY Metro area seemed to be a total of about 47,500 at 6PM with almost 71,000 ut in CT. (Just reviewed the recording.

Of course FEn/JCP&L won't tell me;-) Yep, just generalized blanket reports from them all the time.

I feel badly for the worker that was electrocuted and resuscitated. Glad they were OK! I know how it feels to be hit with 220 and they must have been hit with worse. Someone must have forgotten to de-energize the section they were working or or had re-energized it early or some other safety failure.

Phil D. Phil D.
Aug '20

Wow, that’s just impossible. Definite process review will be done. When I had my microburst, the cutters came in the dark, truck spots on, and did their set up. Then they turned on their helmet lamps, cut the spots and started cutting in the dark while one did an Irish jig on the downed wires to show me they were safe. He said impossible for cutters to enter a live area. Crazy fun guys.

Aug '20

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.