Baby deer left alone

I see a baby deer under a tree on Willow Grove for the past 24 hours. I call ACO & he said it’s common it could take the mother deer Up to 18 hours to come back. So far it’s still there. Any suggestions on what to do?

I suggest leave it be.

If it starts continually crying - call Antler Ridge Wildlife Sanctuary for further advice
973 800 2420 - otherwise leave it alone -

4catmom 4catmom
May '20

Ok thank you both!! I keep an close eye on it.

I saw one yesterday at a church in Stillwater. It was bed down near a shrub. Too cute.

Call the Division of Fawns and Protective Services... deadbeat mother is probably playing the slots at Wind Creek again.

ianimal ianimal
May '20

this is from Virginia Wildlife but it pretty much applies - except that here fawns generally are born around Mother's Day and on ....and you'd call a local rehabber -- https://www.wildlifecenter.org/news_events/news/dont-be-fawn-kidnapper-0

also www.ahn.org for all kinds of rehabbers all over the country - excellent resource

4catmom 4catmom
May '20

Its fine let it be. Deer aren't helicopter parents. We have this every spring and the mother deer leave the fawns in the neighborhoods intentionally. Predators avoid humans during the day, we are the baby sitter. Momma comes and collects fawn at night. Natural. Enjoy but don't touch. Or you'll see momma deer coming charging when that fawn bleats

Justpassinthru
May '20

We had one in our yard recently. Mother came back a couple hours later and got it. Just leave it alone.

Mikey
May '20

My parents had one in the yard over the weekend. Momma came back overnight and took the baby away.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
May '20

Please just leave it alone. This comes up every spring, rarely is there a problems. Mom’s nearby.

Indie Indie
May '20

I saw a wildlife documentary where the Mother cleans the fawn to remove any scent and leaves it in a safe spot. Then she goes to forage for food (and often deliver the after birth). Like others have said, don’t touch or approach it unless it’s in immediate danger or clearly abandonded.

A couple years ago a Mom left her fawn under the hammock in our yard. She knocked over the frame and covered it with the blanket. We eventually had to help it get out since it couldn’t jump the fence and Mom was panicking.

YeahRight YeahRight
May '20

correct- you should absolutely stay away from fawns and should not touch them ---except if they are in a dangerous spot - near a road -driveway etc--moving it will not stop the mom from returning and moving on with her fawn...

4catmom 4catmom
May '20

Thank you all. It is now gone. It was so close to Willow Grove so I was worried. Hoping baby & momma are both together & safe.

Ok I’m the guy who would say leave it alone I currently have on in back of mg rocking chair on my my pourch. If it’s there by 5 tonight who should I call?

Just leave it alone. Give it till the morning it will be gone.

Indie Indie
Jun '20

If it's left alone - and you're sure of it - over 24 hours - if it's continuously crying as well - you can call Antler Ridge Wildlife Sanctuary for advice and - if truly in distress - information about bringing it there... 973 8002420. Also for other locations for help throughout the country, www.ahnow.org

4catmom 4catmom
Jun '20

Re: Baby deer left alone

Thank you will follow up tonight or tomorrow morning and keep all posted

How did your little visitor make out, Drew?

Friend Friend
Jun '20

Fawns have only one defense. When they are first born they have almost no smell. So their defense is to sit still and not move. The doe normally do not stay near them when first born, they wander away purposefully and only come back to nurse. This is actually a great strategy again the predators like bears, coyote and wolves. It does however appear to be useless again ignorant folks picking up fawns and bringing them to rescue groups.

So in short. Leave unattended fawns alone. They are fine.

Agust Agust
Jun '20

He left luckily around 7 last night !

Well said Agust.

Drew -- are you in the Countryside area of Hackettstown? There is a deer & fawn in my yard today - wondering if it could be the same one.

happiest girl
Jun '20

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.