Speakeasies?

I'm about ready to buy a Flobee! Any places around where I must knock thrice, cough once, answer an obscure question then perform a secret handshake to gain entry into someone that will cut hair?

Asking for a friend... LOL

Sorry but Dollar Store scissors and a mirror. What else do you need??? ;-)

I bought a really nice hair clipper with a dozen different-sized cutting blades from Walmart for less than $25. I wasn't sure how difficult it would be to cut my own hair, but it was very easy. I needed a hand-held mirror and the full-size mirror in the bathroom to do the back properly. Took a little practice though. Made a mess the first time, but now I just go over it once a week so not too bad on the clean-up. You want a vacuum with a hose attachment! :-)

Rob Durana Rob Durana
May '20

I'm starting to look like John Lennon circa 1964... if John were a middle-aged, slightly overweight tosser, that is. I'm looking on seedy websites for a back-alley butcher to perform the deed.

ianimal ianimal
May '20

1964 — that would be mop top John. You got time. Or just get a large bowl to trim it a bit.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
May '20

You guys, lol! Rob Durana has the right idea;-)

GC, aye, what a scamp!
"Dollar Store scissors and a mirror. What else do you need???"
Geez, a comb, literally a fine toothed comb, to get the hair in line for cutting of course!

Make sure you buy and use the blunted scissors, just so you don't poke your eye out, LOL!

I used my electric clippers with the attachment on its closest setting. Wasn't satisfied with the length, so took the attachment off. That left me still not pleased, so I razored it all off again as I'd been doing for a number of years when a bad reaction to some molding compounds caused alopecia areata. Worked well, but then apparently my head shape goes well with it, think a bit Captain Pickard-ish.

You want fun, try shaving your head with a straight razor! Been there, done that, because my clippers weren't working and every stroke of those stupid multi-blade razors would completely clog within about 1/4 inch stroke. It worked quite well and I came out of it, nose and ears intact and very few nicks!

BTW Greg, I'm sure that any wink, wink, nod, nod club members that would do that would likely PM you if they read your post. Good luck. I went over to my parents house almost a month ago bringing my clippers because I figured my Dad's hair would be at USMC's "Hippy Length", aka about an inch long. I was right and got him feeling squared away again.

It was nice to be able to repay him in a way for all the haircuts he gave me as a kid, even though it took many before he'd give me one that wouldn't instantly leave me branded at school, since I usually went to school off base and you know how the late sixties and early seventies were...yep, "Narc coming"! Made up for it in college when I wasn't living at home. Then my Grandpa threatened to tie me down and do it. He actually was a Barber School barber. I'll probably keep shaving it until Amanda's able to open the Barber Parlour back up and the crowds die down!

Phil D. Phil D.
May '20

There is a program on CBS tonight Friday 5/29 (Channel 2) at 8 PM that is called Haircut Night in America featuring hair stylists giving do it yourself color cut and style guidance

Quiet one Quiet one
May '20

I better hit the Dollar store for my scissors and naturally Bottle King in order to achieve the best possible results in my do it yourself event tonight! LOL!

I too look forward to Amanda and Faith back in saddle at world headquarters on Mountain ave as well.

Why not call your hairdresser and she if she'll come to your house. Weather is nice you can do it outside. As long as she's masked and hold a cloth over your mouth I don't see a problem with it. I am sure there is a lot of this going on. We just don't know about it because their not on social advertising it.

auntiel auntiel
May '20

Pretty sure hairdressers could lose their license if someone ratted on them.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
May '20

Snitches get stitches.

Parentof2 Parentof2
May '20

If the internet is any indication, I must be the only person in to country who doesn't care how long his hair gets. :)

Monty Monty
May '20

3wbdwnj -- You are correct.

You need a license to cut hair? Uggh. State thieves being state thieves again.

hmmm Monty - my hubster and I are enjoying our longer locks - the hub has one of those clippers with lots of attachments when the time comes - but I'm ever so slightly concerned about doing his trim---

4catmom 4catmom
May '20

#1 on the sides #3 on the top. Just in time for the warmer weather. Haircut done.

Sacks cousin
May '20

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.