Shout out to local restaurants

My family and I have been supporting one local restaurant per week through curbside pickup. We were able to try two restaurants that have been on our list during the old normal, which we plan on returning to when things sort of normalize!

Anyway, just wanted to say that I am happy to support local businesses and grateful that I am able to do so.

For reals For reals
May '20

Yes, please get takeout from your go-to restaurants so they will stay in business.

Absolutely agree!! These restaurant and eatery workers are also heroes in my book!

Rob Durana Rob Durana
May '20

We are doing the same thing when I don't feel like cooking.
Just called Mama's and have a gift card going to our local police department.

Way to go Sher!

For reals For reals
May '20

We have been doing the same thing every Sunday.

Calico696 Calico696
May '20

Sonny's has done an amazing job with our take outs every week. Good food and service, now and always.

DogDayAfternoon
May '20

Been trying to do so at least once a week also

Weebiekins Weebiekins
May '20

Thanks to everyone at Toscana! We picked up and enjoyed a delicious dinner last night.

List your favorites so we all know! :-)

I want my mail
May '20

Picking up dinner from Mattar's tonight!

Mattars - the daily specials for Four are reasonable and bountiful. And of course Davillas pizza .

Hi! Does anyone know if Fuji Yama is open for take out?

Shell Shell
May '20

Is there a list of all the local restaurants that deliver?
Not through other companies - I want the money and tips to go to the employees and not a franchise. Been using a few, but always good for a change up. Thank you. Sorry if I missed a link if it's already here.

DogDayAfternoon
May '20

James on Main furnished a "five-star meal" as per my daughter's critique last evening and I would have to agree! Toscata, too, rose to the occasion as did TerraNova, which we frequented before the quarantine. Can't wait to support and try other places.

For reals For reals
May '20

Fujiyama claims to be open but did not answer the phone monday night for an hour straight. So we had domo 7 in chester.

Scott Scott
May '20

We've also been supporting local restaurants with carry out every week.

I wish we could support some of the H'town restaurants, but it would be cold by the time we got it home.

So far we have done take out or delivery from Juanito's, Sports Scene, Memo's, Desiderio's Stone Tavern, Little Italy and Ciao.

Calico696 Calico696
May '20

@Calico... I've been craving Washington Diner, but same problem

Weebiekins Weebiekins
May '20

@dogday: I’m sorry but I haven’t come across an online list but it looks like people are posting their favorites here. A list would be resourceful though. Good idea.

@Cakico: Supporting the eateries in your town is just as good. If it’s an independent business that’s all that matters.

For reals For reals
May '20

Weebie, sadly, that diner has been closed

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
May '20

Easter Sunday our daughter in Florida had our dinner delivered to our door from Applebees...Everything from soup to nuts and it was so good. I am pretty sure I can expect the same for Mother's Day but this time from Taste of Italy. We have had takeout from Paneras and also Franks Trattoria as well..

joyful joyful
May '20

Pandaam rom is vert good!

coasterfan98 coasterfan98
May '20

For reals - No doubt. However, would love dinner from Toscana! We also frequently patronize restaurants in Easton, but that presents the same problem.

Calico696 Calico696
May '20

Eat in your car when you pick it up. ;)

Yeah because paying full price for a meal to scoff down like an animal in my car is soooo with it. Can’t wait until we have to dine in restaurants and try and eat with a mask on.

Steve Steve
May '20

Steve - Exactly. I don't want to eat a $30+ dollar entree on my lap with plastic forks.

Calico696 Calico696
May '20

"Exactly. I don't want to eat a $30+ dollar entree on my lap with plastic forks."

Boo-Hoo. Guess you can't always get what you want.
There are people out there that thanks to the lock down cannot even work to provide food to their families. But you don't want to eat with a plastic fork.
Don't worry, things will open up soon and you can get back to metal again.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
May '20

dodgebaal - Please do not twist my words. My post was a statement of my personal opinion, not a complaint. I feel very bad for anyone who is suffering right now, whether it's physically, mentally or financially. The entire country needs to open soon so people can get on with their lives.

Calico696 Calico696
May '20

We've gotten take out from Taste of Italy, Uncle Sal's in Budd Lake, and thinking about getting Sizzle BBQ this weekend. My husband also picked me up Das' Creamery ice cream from RH Farms.

Tracy Tracy
May '20

Already picked up Sizzle, they did a nice job; and they are great people. I wish them many decades of success in Hackettstown.

I try to order out 3x a week, in the hope of contributing a little in the restaurants' chances of surviving this craziness.

Delivery
Sizzle - great skirt steak
Sonny's

Pickup
Main Street Cafe
Mama"s
Homemade - great white borscht soup and pierogies

Enjoy your Saturday!

It's Mattar's for me! He's got Family Style Meals for Four, to go. The usual Incredible Mattar's food (and it's way cheaper than if you ate there!) I'm on his email list so I get a set menu every week. here - see if this link works...?

https://files.constantcontact.com/ff48c68b001/1c16eecf-4a26-444f-b57b-7b272e33dbf2.pdf

Tonight is Roast Beef with Burgundy Demi-Glace Roasted Red Skin Potatoes & Green Beans!
No matter where ya go - SUPPORT OUR LOCAL FOLKS!!!

CommonSense CommonSense
May '20

Has anyone had dairy items delivered? I would love to find a place to regularly deliver milk, cream, eggs, cheese, and so on.

I'm taking notes on all these places. LOL. I forgot about a few for take out. It'll be nice to post a list of takeout vs delivery to have on hand. Love it.

DogDayAfternoon
May '20

Tracy -- thanks for that tip about RH farm having Das Creamery ice cream. Good to know you don't have to go all the way to Budd Lake for it. Got mine today ...... Pomegranate!!

happiest girl
May '20

We’ve also been making a point to get take out at least once a week. We’ve had The Sizzle, Davila’s, Topo, Pandan Room, and James on Main. Maybe some others I’m not remembering off the top of my head. Also beer from Czig Meister and Man Skirt. I hope so much that all our local spots can survive these times.

Monty Monty
May '20

Oh, good to know about the breweries. This weather screams for an IPA!

For reals For reals
May '20

DogDayAfternoon, I don't know of any placed that deliver the items you mentioned other then Shoprite in Byram......and I've heard its very hard to get a time slot.

That said, if you can't get out yourself, I'd be more then happy to go for you.

Just message me at hobokanmary1@gmail.com The email that's associated with my hack.life account I can't get into since we got a new computer and I've forgotten my password. I've tried to change it on here but it won't let me.

sandblaster sandblaster
May '20

@DogDay I was wondering the same thing and found this...

https://www.longvalleydairy.com/grocery-home-delivery-service.php#delivery-area

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
May '20

We, too, have been making a point of supporting our local favorite restaurants: Pasta Grill by Enzo's Mansfield location, Mattar's, Mama's, Frank's Pizza, and Tony's Luncheonette. Each place has done a great job of adapting their business to take-out curbside or delivery.

Golf Gal Golf Gal
May '20

Gotta put the pierogi place on my list as well as Pandan Room and Sizzle. Thanks for the suggestions.

For reals For reals
May '20

Sandblaster and JrzyGirl - thanks for the info. Very kind, Sandblaster. I 'can get out, I just really prefer not do, because I'm more at risk. I'm so glad that people are posting places they've been and such. I try to get deliveries as much as possible from restaurants and produce places. I was just wondering on dairy items - then again, I also miss some of the things from the supermarkets, but for now, I order online and from local places - all with great results. Thank you so much.

DogDayAfternoon
May '20

Is anyone concerned about getting takeout?

Willie Willie
May '20

@dogdayafternoon, please contact me via my email sherrydtr@yahoo.com
I am a shopper and would be more than happy to shop for you with contact less delivery.

We got takeout today from Island Dragway's food concession. It was packed in carryout boxes with handles. It supports the track and helps them stay open until they are allowed to having racing again.

Sher -- thank you. I appreciate that. Are you a local biz?

dcf - that is great to know!

DogDayAfternoon
May '20

Re: Shout out to local restaurants

DCF, did the same thing. Drove my bracket bomber Firebird up. Left a donation as well. Good to see from a distance some of my bud's I race with. Found my own parking spot as well. Left the drag radials at home.

thehazguy thehazguy
May '20

We ordered from Little Italy in Washington tonight. They said 45 minutes to an hour and it took two hours for delivery. Crazy. Proves that so many are ordering. It was delicious and plentiful. A lot left over.

Calico696 Calico696
May '20

Willie- Yes we are. However, we have someone at home with a compromised immune system.
We have been told by many of his doctors, that until there is evidence to prove other wise we are to not order take out, any food that’s made for us and cold cuts.
As they do further testing, hopefully these restrictions will be lifted or modified. However, until then, we have to wave on the side of caution until someone can prove it and not just guess it or assume.
It doesn’t mean everyone has to live like this though, to each their own. We just have to, as we would never want to risk anything for a family members life.

LivingLifeLovingLife LivingLifeLovingLife
May '20

Willie -- yes I am. I have not gotten any take out. I also am not buying things like bakery breads, etc. I don't think the risk is worth it. That can all wait until things are back to normal.

happiest girl
May '20

I agree. We have not been doing takeout, as we are still concerned regarding cross-contamination. I suppose I look at it the same way they said how face masks were not needed, and now they are.

Willie Willie
May '20

Willie we've been getting take out since this all started and are really not concerned.

I had read somewhere that the cardboard, paper or other packaging materials may contain the virus if the person handling it has it, so you should move all the food to your own plates and discard the packaging, then wash your hands well then (hopefully) there would be little risk of catching the virus. The article went on to say that swallowing the virus has a very small risk of getting sick as the stomach acids destroy it...….Mind you Im just going by what the article said.

Also NO ONE is at high risk in our house. I may feel differently if we did.

We also pay for the food plus tip over the phone when we order and the person just leaves it on an outside table so there is no contact with the delivery person.

We've ordered from River Star Diner, Taranovas, Mama's, we've also done Wendy's, a sushi joint up on High St., Mcdonalds, and Burger king. Im sure I've left out a few...…..and so far so good.

sandblaster sandblaster
May '20

Absolutely blessed to have such amazing restaurants in our backyard...love Hackettstown eateries!

A-A-Ron A-A-Ron
May '20

Tonight my wife and I want to order a sampling of different things we haven’t tried from Taqueria Brenda Lee. (In the past we’ve only ever had their enchilada platters.) Does anyone know how many tacos they serve in a single order? Their menu doesn’t say.

Monty Monty
Jun '20

Three tacos is pretty much standard.

Can confirm it is 3 tacos.

Smilingbecs Smilingbecs
Jun '20

Thanks. I figured 3, but some photos I saw on Facebook looked like 4. Just trying to be sure we don’t go too far overboard.

Monty Monty
Jun '20

We've done Black Forest Inn some Saturdays for take out! Delicious!!

mintyfresh mintyfresh
Jun '20

So sad to find out that Vanilla Market in the Panther Valley Mall is closing............

Monty it’s 4 tacos per order, I go there all the time. I’ve had most of the tacos on the menu, they are all great.

Concernedcitizens9 Concernedcitizens9
Jun '20

Concernedcitizens9, what’s your favorite taco there?

Bessie Bessie
Jun '20

For me the Campechano without a doubt. It has steak, chorizo and cheese.
Al pastor is my second pick.

Concernedcitizens9 Concernedcitizens9
Jun '20

Thanks, Concernedcitizens9.
When it came time to actually call in we found ourselves unable to stray away from our usual order (enchiladas, verdes for my wife and rojas for me). We do want to try other things, but it had been so long since we ordered from them we both decided we couldn't foresake our favorites.

Monty Monty
Jun '20

Saw the post about Vanilla Market closing. Any idea what’s replacing it?

Local Gal Local Gal
Jun '20

Local Gal, now is not the time to open a new brick and mortar business for the most part; it is going to sit empty for some time...

Good point. This is definitely not the time to open a new business.

Local Gal Local Gal
Jun '20

Saw that Zinburger in Morris Plains is gone....very sad...

Luca - One of more to come for sure. Just as predicted, the lock down was too long for many business to make it through. I'm waiting to see what beauty salons, nail salons and barber shops are gone forever. It's quite a shame.

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '20

Tis true, so many shames to go all around, up and down. Certainly a chance to become extraordinary, that’s for sure. Greatest Generation, New Deal, with every challenge comes opportunity for excellence!

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Jun '20

Yet, there were so many small businesses that managed to get creative and innovative and continue doing business during the closures. Restaurants are doing car hops, curbside, delivery. Some bakeries and farms began offering grocery items. Even hair salons figured out how to mix hair colors and sell them to customers. You'd think a corporate backed chain like Zinburger would have been able to figure something out...but alas.

Tracy Tracy
Jun '20

Zin-Morris Plains? Closed or gone? All NJ Zins except Clifton are closed for C19, but I don’t think they ate gone. I did note Parsippany is gone, but others just for C19. Guess it’s easier than curbside.

Jun '20

It's gone - signs are removed...

You’re right. Parsippany = Rt 10 = Morris Plains. The inside is gutted..probably means closure has little to do with C19 and was already slated.

Given federal small business forgivable loans are hooked to full employment; I would expect a lot of comebacks shortly, at least for awhile, hopefully forever. Pretty clever hook.

Still have to get people to buy and I don’t think full service only restaurants will do that. Innovation and creativity called for but free loan, full employment is sure some impetus for creativity.

Jun '20

Rt 10 & 202 location should be a cash cow. But that place has been through a few different chains. A bunch of turnover in the adjacent lots that have one owner. The landlords must be squeezing the crap out of them to make those places fail.

Monchy's is great.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Jun '20

Zinburgers Rte 10 will be replaced with Tommy’s Tavern + Tap. Read it in “Parsippany Focus” and TAPInfo web sites

Local Gal Local Gal
Jun '20

Blackstones has had outside dinning for a couple of weeks. Why hasn't anyone else?

Vicinity Vicinity
Jun '20

Anybody know what is being built at Mattars? Possibly an outdoor patio?

D-ManPV D-ManPV
Jun '20

Vicinity: I don't think Blackstone's is "coloring within the lines." Pretty sure outdoor dining is not yet (officially) allowed at restaurants.

Route 46
Jun '20

If Blackstones was allowing outdoor dining already, they were absolutely not supposed to. Multiple places in the area were fined for allowing people to eat outside.

June 15th is opening for od. Many places looking to close street traffic to expand dining areas. Morristown denied closure of South Street I think. Wish we could close some parking lot for dining expansion.

Jun '20

Fujiama is open, we have had dinner from them a few times - and Sonny's is great as always

rleaf rleaf
Jun '20

Hi! Just heard Vanilla Market is closing or already closed. I was given a gift card from that place as a gift so I guess I can’t use it now right?

momof2PV momof2PV
Jul '20

Vanilla Market shut down in March due to COVID-19 & then communicated a few months later that they were closing for good. They are no longer in business unfortunately.

My husband stopped into Piggy's to pick up potato salad. 6 employee's in there - not one wearing a mask correctly- they were all off their noses. Some guy who looked like a manager was talking to an employee very close & over food - gross! C'mon Piggy's - get with it!

On another note - had breakfast at River Star - very good & everyone was following protocol.

@Luca: Report Piggy's. For real. We want to support local businesses but not if they are putting us at risk by acting irresponsibly. Nobody takes accountability anymore.

For reals For reals
Jul '20

So did your husband purchase the potato salad or did he express his concerns and walk out of the store without the purchase?

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Jul '20

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.