Donations for local restaurants to feed healthcare workers

What a great idea. We donate to this cause for local restaurants to send meals to our healthcare workers. Helps two groups in need of our support as we all/most sit home wondering what we can do. Please consider.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2864838060249415/

JB400 JB400
Mar '20

I’m in. Will donate at hackettstownrotary.org. Thank you for sharing.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Mar '20

Thank you for posting this, what a great idea! And since this is being organized by the rotary club, no doubts that the funds will be used wisely and for this purpose only. <3

hktownie hktownie
Mar '20

I’m in also. Thanks for the info.

Indie Indie
Mar '20

We're in - great to be able to do something for those who do so much

4catmom 4catmom
Mar '20

Hope the community gets on board for this. It's a good answer to the question "What can I do to help?". If you would rather send a check with a note or card to the HMC medical staff, check to: Hackettstown Rotary Foundation
P.O. Box 561
Hackettstown, NJ 07840
100% of donations go to meals for HMC medical staff, all supplied safely by our local restsurants.

Norman Worth, WRNJ Norman Worth, WRNJ
Mar '20

I will donate too. Great idea!!

Great idea!! Just donated

Nice idea, donation complete

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Mar '20

Join in this effort to help our Front Liners .....
What a great community to be a part of!!!!

Alyson Reynolds
Mar '20

This morning, at Shoprite in Mansfield, a cashier named Sara checked me out. I tried to slip her a $20.00 bill ,to help her out ( quietly) . She said “give it to the Warren County Foodbank “ That was very sweet of her. If Sara or anyone you know is reading this, consider it done (we will choose a local one, as googling it resulted in several locations) and thank you for being at work today, enabling us to get groceries.

Guilty-Remnant Guilty-Remnant
Mar '20

Guilty-Remnant

NORWESCAP is an excellent organization that serves our local area,

https://norwescap.org/

If you check their "About" page, you'll find this listed as one of their programs:

"Health & Nutrition
Norwescap runs the Women, Infants and Children program (WIC) to provide a nutrition plan and financial support for healthy groceries for new and expecting moms. We also provide free cancer screenings, community health outreach and referrals and other programs to improve health. We are also the Food Bank serving over 120 nonprofit pantries, kitchens and other hunger-relief partners in Hunterdon, Warren and Sussex counties."

Phil D. Phil D.
Mar '20

Thank you, Phil! Norwescap is an excellent organization.

Apr '20

It does look like an excellent organization.

Does anyone have anything that resembles a review? a look at % of money that actually makes it to charity? etc.

Since norwescap is not a 501(c)(3) but instead a 501(c)(2), your donation here is NOT tax deductible. There is a IRS form 990 that states about $1M in assets (building), $45K in expenses (depreciation), and $160K in CEO salary/benefits. Not much else.

It's not like I must have a tax deduction, but here's a list of all the pantries in our area: http://www.co.warren.nj.us/Humanservices/food_pantries.html

I think most of these are 501c3's: I am pretty sure Trinity and Vienna are.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Apr '20

A worthy cause! Right now these folks are working long hours and being repeatedly exposed to the virus, a recipe to get sick and even die no matter how healthy.

Donated to the rotary cause. I have family on the front lines and thought I’d be nice to feed them.

Sport
Apr '20

I know what you mean, SD. I’m weary of charities. I prefer to hand people cash, directly. How do I decide, one might wonder? I take an educated guess. No questions. Then, I’m assured no CEO or other administrative costs are taken out. Then, there’s my budget. I don’t make enough money to need the tax deduction, nor, do I have enough wealth to contribute more than $20.00 bills here and there. Sara’s donation is going to a local food bank in Hackettstown. Thanks for the link and stay safe!

Apr '20

Don’t mistake my comments as not giving to charity. I give, I tithe, to numerous state and national causes, but all 501 c3’s.

Right now though I am focusing local so FLAG is fantastic; Centenary needs us, as do the food pantries. Also, I have been dolling out the 5’s, 10’s, and 20’s to any service worker helping out. I think it’s great you are doing that too GR. Everything and anything helps even if it’s just a symbol of thanks.

Plus, all my cash has been quarantined for over two weeks —- I like to let folks know it’s safe to handle too!

Hang in there folks, NY may be seeing smaller increases, too soon to tell, but we are surging still, gonna get rougher.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Apr '20

GR you are a very kind person.

I plan on doing the same thing in my area. Many people in Pburg live paycheck to paycheck

positive positive
Apr '20

My wife and I are going to give to the Hackettstown Rotary

Jimt1058
Apr '20

There are many great causes and organizations but for this one, staying local, benefits the local restaurants and the front line at the hospital. We try to give to as many as we can, but this one is for www.hackettstownrotary.org and FLAG

I’m sure we all know that many families are suffering right now by being out of work. So many have no income coming in, in turn relying on our food pantries to feed their families.

Many of these food pantries can’t keep up with the overwhelming needs of our suffering neighbors.

Today, I spoke with a representative of a food pantry near me. I asked if I can also donate hygiene products. Well, she excitedly said “definitely”. She explained, just recently, an unemployed hairdresser with 4 young children came in and asked for shampoo. The pantry didn’t have it. I can’t imagine not having enough money for shampoo.

When you think you have it bad, someone else has it much worse.

Here’s a link SD posted up above (Thanks SD).

If you’d like to donate or maybe you or someone you know needs some help, this is a great resource.

http://www.co.warren.nj.us/Humanservices/food_pantries.html

positive positive
Apr '20

Thanks for the bump. The OP facebook link leads you to https://hackettstownrotary.org/ where you can donate to "front-line staff of nurses, doctors, technicians and support staff at Hackettstown Medical Center who are caring for our communities during the Coronavirus (COVID-19) crisis." That's very close to home.

My father, upon returning from Europe, returned all his disability pay saying "the boys need it more." He lost his war bridge before he got home, my mother and he lived in a third floor attic after he recovered, came home and remarried. He did use the GI Bill, go to college, and the rest is my history. But "the boys need it more."

I just got my stimulus check; only got 50% since I am luckier than many I guess. I will donate all of it to charity. Other folks need it more. Thanks Dad for setting the marker.

Please support these folks and the food pantries. It's not over yet, we have months to go and our support can ease some pain, provide a cheering section, lighten a load.

Thanks.

Apr '20

Besides Hackettstown Rotary, what other local organizations are there that people can donate funds or goods to?

D-ManPV D-ManPV
Apr '20

I was speaking with someone who works in the ER on the night shift. They were saying they do not see the food. Sometimes they get what is left from days. We need to remember the 7pm to 7 am shift!

Sport
Apr '20

Dear Sport, That's a valid point. We were actually thinking the same thing a few days ago, and you will be happy to know that the nightshift is on our radar and we have them scheduled to be fed tonight. Realizing the need of these individuals, we have personally set this up. We also recognize their hard work and want to be sure they are not left out. Thank you to all that have been patronizing Mama's and local restaurants, it's greatly appreciated. Stay safe! - Sheri

Sheri - Mamas CB
Apr '20

Re: Donations for local restaurants to feed healthcare workers

Great job Mama's and to those that have donated. Posted a picture of all of the social distancing going on in America this morning.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Apr '20

It would be nice Sheri if somehow Rotary could be tell us ----
- you need money so we can find some
- you have enough for x days so we can divert to pantries

probably can't be done, but hope springs eternal.

thanks always for all the good stuff Mama's does for the town. Duets RULE!!!

Apr '20

Thank you so much for posting this. We have been ordering a lot of takeout to help local restaurants, but wanted to do something for those hard working hospital employees. This lets us do something for both!

TiffanyTwisted TiffanyTwisted
Apr '20

The FLAG page has daily updates.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/flagofhackettstown/

What's been donated when, and what items are needed.

hktownie hktownie
Apr '20

D-ManpvThere is also a Community Food pantry in Washington township.
www.washingtoncommunityfoodpantry.com

luvlife
Apr '20

Uber Eats donated to three hospitals, one being Hackettstown Medical Center.

https://www.nj.com/togethernj/2020/04/uber-eats-donates-900-free-meals-to-workers-at-3-nj-hospitals-during-coronavirus-outbreak.html

luvlife
Apr '20

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.