Flag Flying/Scrub A Dub

We were in town the other day and saw this flag hanging wrong. As we were getting gas the attendant heard our conversation and chimed in. He stated the owner of the Scrub a dub car wash is fully aware about the situation. He did it on purpose. Does anyone know why and what does it mean? I've seen flags upside down and backwards. But my knowledge does not understand what it means! The man makes a nice pretty penny and I know a few years ago he had a run of robberies. It would be nice to know. If you want to make a statement like this explain why!

Christine Christine
Mar '20

"Displaying a U.S. flag upside down is "a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property"; It can also be viewed as an act of desecration. It has been used by extension to make a statement about distress in civic, political, or other areas"

simple google search would find you the answer.

Jim L Jim L
Mar '20

If she did a google search for the answer then how would she be able to try to start trouble for the owner of a local business?

I don't see the post as starting trouble for the business at all. If anything the post brings attention to whatever the owner is attempting to state with the flag in that (disrespectful) in my opinion) position.Clearly the only way to discover what the "message" is would be to pay the place a visit and inquire. And away I go.

There is no flag on the pole today nor is there any attendant onsite at the moment.

The answer will have to wait.

I am taking it as the business is in distress and on the verge of closing.

I would take it as the country and world for that matter is in a crisis right now due to the virus that is effecting the entire world.

NY 56 NY 56
Mar '20

"My knowledge does not know what it means?" Your knowledge? To be honest, I don't understand the whole reasoning for the post. It's common knowledge what the flag means when flying that way. Why wouldn't you ask them personally 'why' instead of asking a forum where no one would know what the owner meant?

DogDayAfternoon
Mar '20

How is the flag hanging? Upside down? Backward? Both? I don’t care what google says, I find it disrespectful and I’ll be taking action by not frequenting that particular establishment. The owner wants to make a statement? That’s fine and he’s well within his rights but sheesh, what a dummy. He just cost himself business.

Michael Jordan was once asked why he didn’t use his platform to discuss politics. His answer was: “because republicans buy sneakers too.” The owner of the car wash could learn a thing or two from his Airness.

Consigliere
Mar '20

Seriously?

With everything that's going on right now in this country and the world, you're worried about which way a flag is hanging?

Restaurant Ralph Restaurant Ralph
Mar '20

I believe that day was windy as hell and one of the eyeholes broke off and the flag was blowing in the wind like crazy so in an attempt to fix it someone just tied one corner to the pole... realizing that wasn’t good he Just took the flag down... it wasn’t up there very long like that.. relax people. I bet the people complaining disrespect the flag and don’t even know it

Booster90 Booster90
Mar '20

Ralph, I wouldn’t say I’m “worried” at all. I’m just not going to spend money there.

Consigliere
Mar '20

As the owner of the car wash, I would like to set the record straight. First of all, I completely understand all of you who are outraged to think that our flag would be disrespected. However, I am a proud American and this is far from the case. "He" who happens to be a good friend of mine does not own the car wash anymore as I purchased it from him in November. This incident which Christine posted yesterday, March 11, 2020 occurred on March 1, 2020--10 days prior to her post. Furthermore, the flag was immediately taken down on this very same day hours after it was found to be hanging upside down. The flag was upside down through no fault or intention by me for a few hours. As Booster90 pointed out, it was extremely windy that day and 2 of the 3 eyeholes broke which caused the flag to flip upside down and get stuck at the top of the pole. It was unsafe to climb to the flag when it immediately happened because of the fact that it was so windy. However, a few hours later when the wind subsided, my husband climbed up to fix the flag but couldn't so he had no choice but to cut the rope to get the flag down. A new flag will be raised as soon as it is received. Should anyone wish to discuss this further directly with me, please do not hesitate to contact me at my office (908) 852-4500.

With everything happening in the world today, my very best wishes to everyone to stay safe and healthy.

Jane Paftinos Jane Paftinos
Mar '20

Thanks for clearing this up, Jane.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '20

Thanks, Jane. I would like to apologize for jumping to conclusions. I’ll stop by in the next few days for a car wash.

Consigliere
Mar '20

Please...no worries, Consigliere. With the way it was presented, I completely understand why you reacted the way you did. I typically work at the car wash on Saturday. Next time you see me, please introduce yourself as I would love to meet you.

Jane Paftinos Jane Paftinos
Mar '20

You want to know what's going on in this country and world?

Difference of OPION.

Some opions have a bigger platform then others.

Thank you, Jane for clarifying for Christine.

Best of health to you, too.

DogDayAfternoon
Mar '20

I always thought it would be fun to own a car wash.

When I was a kid- before I went into the Army, I worked at the Sparta Car wash.

Of course it was different than these DIY bays.

Still seems like a pretty good relatively passive income. That- or a laundromat.

Jane Paftinos

Thanks for clearing things up for those that were wondering. I was withholding my comment because I realized that you have a large flag there and that something may have happened to the flag or the line. Perhaps few remember what happened at the Billy Yank statue by Valley Bank at the Five Points intersection less than a year ago where the line wore and broke. The car wash flag may have even been a "Post Flag" one of the larger flags that fly over a Navy and Marine Corps base (10'x19'), though I'm not sure exactly what the size is, only that it seemed a bit oversized for the flagpole. You may wish to check this site or several others to get an idea of what the right size is for the flagpole, as it tends to lessen stress on everything, though you pretty much can display any size you wish, as long as it doesn't touch the ground (or get close enough to it that vandals may disturb it):

https://edit.doi.gov/sites/doi.gov/files/migrated/ofas/asd/upload/Flagsandseals9-25-12-2.pdf

We have had an awful lot of wind this season with a number of high gusting storms that puts a large amount of stress on the line, the flag, the pole, etc. In fact today when I was just getting ready to leave work I saw our HR rep walking by an inside window with the flag in her arms, when she came around the corner she told me that she'd looked out the window and saw the flag draped over the lights and didn't want to let it get blown away or fall on the ground so she brought it in to me, since I'm the "flag guy".

My boss and I folded it properly in order to store it properly and safely in her office and I checked outside, since the flag's grommets were intact, only to find that the line had broken due to rubbing on the pulley, so I took that down as well and she's placed an order for a new flag and parts. We feel your pain and I'm almost surprised that nobody has posted yet about a "flag down" on Newburgh Rd, especially with all the traffic due to the construction on Schooley's Mt\. Road.

I appreciate that you and your husband took this seriously and did all you could as soon as you could to address it. As I drive around town, I've seen a number of flags flying on poles, at least one of which is quite ragged at the ends. I haven't had a chance to stop and talk with them yet to ask if they could replace it, but I would be glad to offer the flag I had in my window before I moved as a replacement to theirs.

Phil D. Phil D.
Mar '20

This is the first year I have taken my flag in on a number of occasions due to high winds from different directions. It’s the Easterlies that nail me.

One good thing; I realize in our current state of affairs —— the car was is a relatively safe outing. 24 hours too. Could be date night with the wife!

Be seeing you soon, was awfully muddy at the dump today.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Mar '20

So for whatever reason the Moderator on this site wants me to ask my question regarding Scrub A Dub Car Wash having the wash bays roped off on 7/3 on this 'thread'. Just wondering if they are opened back up...thanks and hopefully I won't have to repost this question again..

itiswhatitis
Jul '20

I'd call them and ask. You will most likely need to leave a message.

908 850 8555.

There is a new flag up
Done right before the holiday

H-Town Mama H-Town Mama
Jul '20

Drove by this morning and it looks like they are replacing equipment in the self service bays.

Tracy Tracy
Jul '20

Gotcha...hopefully the 'Full Service' ones work

itiswhatitis
Jul '20

The renovations are being conducted in the self serve bays.. The automatic drive-thru units are open.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.