So, like, where’s all the snow?

It figures after spending close to $2000 on a beefy AF snow blower we only get one storm worth starting the blower this year. I’m actually shocked we’re half way through February with almost zero snow.

I’m not complaining but sheesh, I don’t ever remember a winter like this. I hope it’s not all going to come at once in early April late May.

Any guesses on total snowfall from today until the start of spring? I’m thinking MAYBE another 5”?

Consigliere
Feb '20

There seems to be a few near misses in the near future and 1 kinda chance in early March. Then that's it...

Yesimpc Yesimpc
Feb '20

You totally jinxed it, Consigliere. Murphy's Law!

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '20

Prediction: there will be a HUGE sale on beefy snowblowers next month!

maja2 maja2
Feb '20

I got three tons of pellets to go so we must only be 50% through.

Figure maybe a good snow left but Nor Easter pattern has not been there, been getting Lake Effect from the West more.

Winters back is broken, don’t think any more 10 day runs of below freezing is until next year. The groundhog had spoken. The sun is warming again and my snowdrops are blooming, daffs are breaking through.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Feb '20

YOU WANT SNOW? THEN MOVE!!

James James
Feb '20

THANK YOU, Consigliere!!!! That stops the snow every time!!!! Happened the year I bought my snowblower as well!! LOL

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Feb '20

Consigliere I always considered a snow blower like an insurance policy, You really don't wan't to use it but you have it just in case

Jimt1058
Feb '20

No need to shout James, I like my north Jersey as snowy as "normal" which is definitely not this year, so maybe you should move!

kepa
Feb '20

Actually I hate snow and the cold. Found it funny on the snow threads that the snow lovers were telling the people who dislike the snow to pack up and move. Just had my snowblower serviced in the fall, glad I didn’t have to use it so far.

James James
Feb '20

The insects will be happy in spring. Soon the new ticks, mosquitoes and lanternflies will be here.

This warm winter really helped these new invasive pests gain a foothold.

callitlikeIseeit callitlikeIseeit
Feb '20

Yea I love a good snow but without the cold those bugs are going to be brutal.

Yesimpc Yesimpc
Feb '20

The chipmunks are running all over the place out here. Not sure if they’re out for good or re-gathering for more freezing temps.

Blackcat Blackcat
Feb '20

About 20 years ago there was an early December big snow. We bought a beefy snow blower at that time. That was the last big snowfall we had for several years. My husband always said if that was insurance against snow, it was worth it. he wasn't a fan.

Parental Unit Parental Unit
Feb '20

Funny, some of these posts. We bought “no snow insurance”, a couple of years ago, in the form of a snowblower. That’s exactly what we call it, still! The older crowd knows that the weather is much different than when we were kids. Heck, even the sky looks different than it used to, years back...sunsets and such. When was the last time Budd Lake froze? Oxford? It’s so cold, right now, so it CAN’T be global warming...AKA climate change. (Kidding)

Guilty-Remnant Guilty-Remnant
Feb '20

Open the fridge and feel the cold blast, then close it. The thermal energy stored in the oceans at some point will not be turned around.

Yes, the world is warming from the last ice age, but the accelerated warming since the industrial revolution is a scientific fact.

Anyway, we probably get a nice storm or two in March. And then next year or thew following we will probably get blasted, anyone remember 1994...

GR: the current cold is a prime example of weather versus climate. The doubter says it's cold, so there. A person looking at the facts will say that the weather might be cold but the climate is still getting warmer, NJ this year in top ten for least amount of snow in Jan, 8th mildest Jan since 1895, Antarctica was close to 70 degrees this year, we humans are adding fuel to the climate with our pollution, and it's only going to get worse. We have already hit the tipping point so to expect a return to familiar weather patterns is a fool's dream no matter what we do from here on in.

https://www.livescience.com/antarctica-record-high-temperature.html

My simplistic view is a large tub of water, we call it Earth's oceans. You drop a 10lb chunk of ice in it and watch the water and air patterns formed by the cold of the ice. That's this: https://www.livescience.com/pine-island-glacier-calving-retreat.html

Then, you take same block of ice, crush it into cubes, and replace in the water. Same water and air patterns? Of course not, volume increases and everything accelerates with far greater intensity. That's the period we are in now. Intense patterns, flows, and storms.

Next, without human intervention: no cold. Our ice is vanishing and we do absolutely nothing except increase our rate of pollution: https://www.livescience.com/25120-melt-images-vanishing-polar-ice/2.html

Not to worry, our kids can deal with it. It's just money, perhaps...… "In the coming decade, economic losses from extreme weather combined with the health costs of air pollution spiral upward to at least $360 billion annually, potentially crippling U.S. economic growth, according to this new report, The Economic Case for Climate Action in the United States, published online Thursday by the Universal Ecological Fund." https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/2017/09/climate-change-costs-us-economy-billions-report/#close

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Feb '20

good grief.... why does EVERYTHING have to go political? This was a fun thread about a light winter, for chrissakes....

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Feb '20

Since when is science political?

Whose sake was that? Man, you have to drag religion into it :>)

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Feb '20

Oh boy, now regretting I started this thread *eyeroll*

Consigliere
Feb '20

strangerdanger .... great ice and water in tub demo.

I thought I was watching "Mr. Wizard"... years ago, on TV WNBF Channel 12,
Binghamton, NY ...........

Embryodad Embryodad
Feb '20

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.