LabCorp or Quest?

My insurance allows me to do my blood draws at either location.
I have to go every 6 weeks and I am very, very anxious when it comes to blood draws and needles.

So, I am looking for your opinion. Who do you prefer? If the staff is kind, timely, and good at sticking me - it will make the experience much easier for me.

LeggyDan LeggyDan
Jan '20

I've gone to both and have had better luck at LabCorp. I've had several billing problems with Quest in the past and some tests ordered by my doctor were never done. One time, Quest would not do the draw because they couldn't read one part of the doctors order. LabCorp has been very efficient and I have found the staff at many of their offices to be very friendly and never had a problem with them sticking me.

thomasnj thomasnj
Jan '20

Quest has a better appointment system but opens at 7:30 am..... Lab Corp is always crowded but opens at 7:00 am

Bug3
Jan '20

Of the two Quest. I make the appointment on line, walk in at my time and never more than 10 min wait as long as I have my appointment. Wouldn't want to go there without one.

But I haven't gone to either in about a year because Med Labs is on site at my doctor's office. Zero wait, I just walk in.

Ditto what GC said

4catmom 4catmom
Jan '20

Used both but now I go to Quest. The online appointment scheduling is super convenient. If there are people waiting but you have an appointment, they call you. An appointment is a priority with them. I'm in and out in less than 10 minutes. I've never had a problem with them, and you can get great data from their website on your blood tests. I refer often to my past blood tests on their website.

Mr. Resident Mr. Resident
Jan '20

I wouldn't say I'm "very" anxious, but I am a little bit needle-phobic, and have been pretty comfortable with Quest. And as others have said, their online scheduling makes for a really quick, convenient trip.

I've never been to LabCorp, so I can't compare the two.

Monty Monty
Jan '20

I think Quest is more accurate. one test at LabCorp kept coming up very low; then going to other labs, it was almost mid-normal.

I trust Quest moreso than LabCorp.

Hackresident Hackresident
Jan '20

Can you use Med Labs? There’s a very friendly, homey one on 206 below route 80. No crowds, low key, and small friendly staff.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Jan '20

I used to have to go for bloodwork every 3 months, sometimes more. To say I was phobic was probably an understatement. I had terrible experiences and even passed out once when I was younger.

My insurance covered Quest so I went to the one on Mountain Ave. and the women working there were absolutely amazing. I warned them I was extremely nervous and was a fainter lol. They were very kind, patient, funny and never had to do the dreaded "restick." I believe they were both from Barbados and eventually they either moved to another office or just changed jobs, but the people that replaced them were equally pleasant and good at what they do.

Luckily my health has improved so I haven't needed blood work or been to Quest in about 2 years so I don't have a very current account, but my vote is with Quest on Mountain Ave.

strangerdanger: What town is Med Labs, "below Rt. 80 on 206"? Flanders?

Hackresident Hackresident
Jan '20

Been to Quest in the past, had to change to LabCorp due to changing insurance. I found the staff to be nice at both, but I'm not nervous about needles. No problems with billing or test results from either. Both have online test results that I found useful. If you do go to Quest, you definitely should make an online reservation first. I go to LabCorp when they first open at 7:00, so I usually don't have to wait too long.

JoeO
Jan '20

As someone that needs blood work usually at least 2 times a year, I have found that the first consideration is to have confidence that the staff who works at a facility are not going to injure you when drawing blood.

My experience has been the best at the Lab Corp, north of Easton, right up the 25th street exit(Rt.248) a couple of miles. The lady who does the blood draws there, or who at least always does mine, has a great gentle touch, I never get bruised or hurt there by an errant attempt.

Now that I don't work over in PA anymore, I now have gone back to the LabCorp in Flemington. I went there a few years back, before recently, and was not impressed by the skill of the phlebotomist's on staff. I actually got some bad bruising, and the "you have hard veins to find" comments- comments I never got before anywhere, and looking at my arms, nothing hard to find at all.

The staff has turned over since that time there in Flemington, and it was not all that bad last time, though not as good as my experience in PA.

I have been to the Hackettstown Lab Corp, about the same type of experience.

I strongly recommend an appointment, but if you have an appointment, it doesnt mean you won't wait a bit if they are full. If possible, go to a local Lab Corp between 1-3pm, seems they are less busy then. Of course, work schedule may preclude that.

Absolutely do not go on a Saturday, unless you have a very long book to read and don't mind being squashed into a room with many people of various levels of illness!

Again, the main factor, confidence in the staff, for me at least.

The Rhyme Animal The Rhyme Animal
Jan '20

Yeah, Flanders. It’s in one of those small offices/houses on the right heading south. The access is awful so I only turn right, in or out, to avoid crossing 206. It’s below 80 but high on the long hill well before Mcds Never used an apt.

MedLabs site has address. But remember those rights! Crossing 206 can be awful.

It’s small, comfortable, low traffic, usually same staff, very low key and comfortable. When doing a lot of tests, I found it better as my veins started to hide over time. Now, with infrequent testing, I use LabCorp, but it can be a zoo. Use apts. there. Can get crowded with 1 hr waits for walk-ins.

Jan '20

I prefer Quest, but one doctor makes me go to LabCorp for a once yearly test. It's complicated, but there's some component of this test that LabCorp offers, but Quest doesn't.

LabCorp also has the online appointments, but it's always so crowded anyway.

Courtney1 Courtney1
Jan '20

They are MUCH more friendly at Quest and it looks cleaner too.

Stephanie Stephanie
Jan '20

I like Quest.
There is now a LabCorp I believe in the Stryker Mall in Pburg (Lopatcong).

I've had to go to both in recent years - employer switched insurance so had Lab then Quest now back to Lab. The LabCorp in Succasunna begins appointments at 6 am - it's right in the mall w/ Kohl's - on 4th floor? IF you have an appointment that you make online - either H-town or Succasunna they take you over walk-ins. Both offices are bam-bam and out and I have to do urine test as well which can be hard to "produce". Best advice is make ONLINE appointment!

SS2cats SS2cats
Jan '20

There is a blood lab in Doctor's Park. I forget the name of it, but there is never anyone there and the technician is wonderful. She litereally draws your blood pain free. Truthfully I don't know how they stay there. I've been going for years and have never encountered another person. But if your insurance will cover you there, that would be my choice.

Parental Unit Parental Unit
Jan '20

Doctor's Park is "MedLabs". It's a closer full service center than the one in Mt Olive.

If my Mt. Olive, you mean Flanders ---- yes, again....

And both sound smaller, less crowded, and more comfortable than the other cattle-barns.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Jan '20

I went to LabCorp 2 weeks ago around 11:00 am. I had to wait almost any hour. They said I couldn't make an appointment for a time, yet 2 people came in and skipped me with appointments, and they took people out of sign in order also and I saw people who came in and signed in after me go in before me. I complained and they denied it, like I couldn't see what happened with my own eyes. Ive been there before and that didn't happen in the past. The phlebotomist's are very nice, and do a good job.

Denis Denis
Jan '20

That’s amazing. Last week when I went, 45 minutes to an hour. A couple apts jumped in but everyone else in order. Not sure how you would get a walk-in bump unless test/staff availability related. Really can’t even beg anyone to bump in line unless the entire waiting room listens in. Still a zoo when that happens, in my case they let too many in past the eating room and there was a crowd outside the bathroom. Wouldn’t have wanted to be in sample mode on that day.

Jan '20

Yeah I didn't think it was possible. I came in the same time as someone else, and did the check in which I'm familiar with. The person who came in the same time went to the front desk to get someone to check her in, while I was done and sitting down. She went in before me. Then someone came in 20 minutes later and said she checked in from the parking lot because she heard that put you in faster???, and she went ahead of me. It does seem nonsensical but it happened.

Denis Denis
Jan '20

Ah, but now it does make perfect sense, unfair that it is, and sounds like we need to blame those genius's that control the virtual world: flippin IT staff.... break, break, interrupt, interrupt.....

my lesson learned: make an appointment, do not roll your own :>()

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Jan '20

I like both of them now, but my insurance only covers Labcorp. Does anyone know how to chart results over time in Labcorp? Quest is easy as they offer this feature for over 5 years.

I've gone to LabCorp once a year for many years. I have only ever had one problem with them and that was a couple years ago. I'm not sure what the phlebotomist did, but I ended up with a bruise the size of a Cadillac Escalde on my arm.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '20

Lori...as for your comment about guessing about the test. I had no problem reading what was on the order. It was written very plain and easy to read which I know might be hard to believe for a doctor. I ended up going to LabCorp with the same exact script and they had no trouble reading it either. I had only gone to Quest that day because it was on a Saturday and they were open and I figured it would be quick and easy to get it done that day.

thomasnj thomasnj
Jan '20

Denis - I believe at LabCorp if you have an appointment you can check in using your cell phone, but the connection is poor in the waiting room, so it's best to check in from outside. I made an appointment once and tried checking in thru my appointment verification on my phone when I got to the waiting room and couldn't do it. They told me to use the kiosk. So that may be why that person bumped you.

Lynnada Lynnada
Feb '20

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.