School records

Does anyone know if it’s common practice for a parent to be able to get copies of their child’s school records?

Rachel Rachel
Jan '20

I wouldn’t think it would be a problem. I asked my elementary school for my own records when I was in my thirties but they told me the records were destroyed by a fire. Not sure I believed that story but I couldn’t prove it one way or the other.

I tried to get my college transcript's ..was told they were likely never transferred to computer records ….had to get state ombudsman's office involved....took months, ultimately was told they were lost.

steven steven
Jan '20

Getting college records has never been a problem for me, and I'm a golden oldie baby boomer. In most cases, getting records should not be an issue.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '20

For a child under 18 no problem, once they are over 18 you cannot get records without the child's written permission. That includes grade transcripts even if you are the one paying tuition.

hktownie hktownie
Jan '20

If your child is under 18, you just need to submit a written request to the school administrator for a copy of your child's records. They may charge you a per page fee. Look up FERPA for additional information.

Lighthouse Lighthouse
Jan '20

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.