Snowmageddon this coming Sunday 12-1

Let's hope it's true!!! But obviously these current predictions can be totally wrong as well.

Forcefed4door Forcefed4door
Nov '19

I need milk and eggs!!!

Downtown Pete Downtown Pete
Nov '19

Hoping it’s true is a little sadistic. Snow sucks

Jahfo
Nov '19

We need to move, lol.

milk.milk.Ineeed more melk

Shineme Shineme
Nov '19

Any maps posted yet? I see snow / Sleet / freezing rain for Sunday and back to snow on Monday ... totals up tp 2 - 6 inches when all done ... Bryan any insight ?

LibertyThinker LibertyThinker
Nov '19

It's drastically changed already... Now the predictions for snow totals have been cut in half, too warm

Nov '19

Bomb cyclone. Storm of the century

Philliesman Philliesman
Nov '19

Great, and I'm supposed to go on vacation on the 1st...

honestyseasy honestyseasy
Nov '19

From hackettstown police

HACKETTSTOWNPD: WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY MORNING (12/1/19) THROUGH MONDAY EVENING (12/2/19). TOTAL SNOW: 4-8 INCHES. nixle.us/BG9M9

Bug3
Nov '19

No panic for the snow?

Bug3
Nov '19

Re: Snowmageddon this coming Sunday 12-1

Here's the snow/sleet map for Sunday from EPAWA.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '19

Sunday freezing rain map from EPAWA.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '19

Monday snow map from EPAWA.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '19

This going to be a serious wait and see. Hopefully it will be benign. The last thing we need is. 25 of ice on the trees before the trees harden up for winter. Personally I hoping for the lesser.

chef peder chef peder
Nov '19

No reason to panic

Michael Michael
Nov '19

It’s the end of the world as we know it, & I feel fine

Weedwacker Weedwacker
Nov '19

Snow I can deal with......but freezing rain.yuk! I hope its been warm enough, and they pretreat the roads enough that the ice doesnt stick to the roads.....Ice stinks!

littlelu littlelu
Nov '19

What do you all think the parking will be like sunday through Monday? Off the roads the whole time? Or just Sunday night????

littlelu littlelu
Nov '19

Get ready

4catmom 4catmom
Nov '19

Just got back from Hackettstown Shop Rite - was not too crazy in there............yet..

This is not how I wanted to start my December, lol.

Bessie Bessie
Nov '19

Looks like the forecast may be getting worse

4catmom 4catmom
Nov '19

EPAWA is going to post a final call map for Sunday and a first call map for Monday at 5 pm today. The snow map I posted above was just a possibility map, not a call map. I will post the new maps here when they come out.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '19

Final call for Sunday snow/sleet.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '19

Final call for Sunday freezing rain.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '19

First call for Monday snow. The final call will be out tomorrow at 5 pm.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '19

4catmom, love the painting. Millie

Millie Millie
Nov '19

Flurries to rain to nothing.

Thanks for posting those maps Calico696. They are helpful.

Hopeful Hopeful
Dec '19

so far (11 am sunday) a bust

bug3
Dec '19

Bust? There is freezing rain out there. It's an icy mess. Accidents are everywhere. Be careful driving and walking.

http://www.wcpublicsafety.com/firstresponder/wc911/actframe.html

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '19

Just got back from an errand this am. Started to rain on my way home. 29 degrees and some jackwagon is tailgating me. Hope he makes it to his destination safely.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Dec '19

https://wrnjradio.com/tractor-trailer-overturns-multiple-vehicles-involved-in-i-80-crash-in-warren-county/

Mainly rain...not alot of ice

Bug3
Dec '19

There has been a ton of ice bug3, literally every wooden surface is iced. Plus, actual snow now - seems to be mixed with sleet still

kepa
Dec '19

look at the incidents reports - no day to be out in car or on foot: http://www.wcpublicsafety.com/firstresponder/wc911/actlist.html

4catmom 4catmom
Dec '19

The 1pm forecast bumped us back to 5-8 inches snow, most Monday, probably closer to 5 than 8. And .1 ice which is notably higher than previous .04 and perhaps walk/drive affecting but should not cause widespread power outages given the less than gusty winds. Plus we rise above 32 degrees by 4 or 5 PM and remain there overnight.

Still a bit squirrely with the forecast modifications every few hours. Ice-wise, should mellow by this evening unless snow/ground keeps it in place. If you're pretty clear Tuesday morning, the sun should clean the rest up by afternoon.

Brief cold snap next weekend and then a potentially messy week of 12/9, so far mostly rain, but you know the drill :>(

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Dec '19

Dud?

Consigliere
Dec '19

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 AM ESTTUESDAY

* WHAT...Heavy mixed precipitation expected. Total snow
accumulations of 5 to 9 inches and ice accumulations of up to
two tenths of an inch.

* WHERE...In New Jersey, Morris, Sussex and Warren counties. In
Pennsylvania, Carbon and Monroe counties.

* WHEN...From 4 AM Sunday to 1 AM EST Tuesday.

* IMPACTS...Travel could be very difficult. The hazardous
conditions could impact the morning or evening commutes on
Monday.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...This will be a long duration storm with
two main periods of winter weather. Conditions on Sunday are
expected to consist of a mix of snow, sleet, and ice, with
snow/sleet accumulations generally 2 inches or less. The
greatest potential for ice accumulations will be Sunday
afternoon. A lull in precipitation is possible Sunday evening.
Most of the snow that is forecast is then expected to occur on
Monday.

Dec '19

They just extended the storm warning to 4am tuesday, upped totals to 8-12"

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Dec '19

I drove to Morristown around noon and the freezing rain was already sticking to my car and the roads. Traffic was a little snow but doable. Definitely some slick spots though. On the way back, roads were mainly wet but my driveway is an ice rink. This is what I expected today. My understanding is the snow event starts tomorrow.

Smilingbecs Smilingbecs
Dec '19

...WINTER STORM WARNING NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 AM EST TUESDAY
* WHAT...Heavy mixed precipitation. Additional snow accumulations
of 8 to 12 inches and ice accumulations of up to two tenths of
an inch.

* WHERE...In New Jersey, Morris, Sussex and Warren counties. In
Pennsylvania, Carbon and Monroe counties.

* WHEN...Until 4 AM EST Tuesday.

* IMPACTS...Travel will be very difficult. The hazardous
conditions will impact the morning or evening commute.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...This will be a long duration storm with two
main periods of winter weather. Conditions through the rest of
the evening Sunday are expected to consist of a mix of snow,
sleet, and ice, with snow/sleet accumulations generally 2 inches
or less. Additional ice accumulations of 0.10 to 0.20 inches
are possible through the evening. Lingering precipitation
overnight will change over to all snow before daybreak Monday
morning. Snow will last for several hours on Monday before
dissipating into the evening hours. Additional snow
accumulations of 8 to 12 inches are expected with localized
higher amounts possible under heavier bands that develop.

Dec '19

I think the bulk of sundays snow went north

Bug3
Dec '19

Anyone have idea how roads are? Im down in somerville right now (just rain) but have to head home to hackettstown

We are in the 5 to 9 area. It actually pushed south more. Sure calico will post epawas new forecast map

Yesimpc Yesimpc
Dec '19

You got thermometer in car? Should be rain event and above 32 this evening. Means roads should be ok unless you hit higher elevations and 32 degrees. Take er slow. Might want to 206 to 124 it but probably all well.

LT - you showing nw nj forecast including Sussex. We are 4-8 and no ice in same forecast. All ice coming at this point should be above 80 or across the river. Although why that makes sense is beyond me. Might be we be rain tonight and Sussex not so lucky.

That’s the 5pm or so. Forecasts are still squirrelly so this too can change. Temp forecasts have been pretty steady though.

Where’s Brian; hope all is well.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Dec '19

Final call map for tomorrow. Anyone lose power? Mine is out.

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '19

Just curious...why is hackettstown pd forcast so far off from the others?

Bug3
Dec '19

Wow, is your power back?

Dec '19

Nope, still no power. Got the generator humming. It went on and off about 5 times before it went out for good around 4:45.

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '19

Bug because it’s all just guessing games.

Philliesman Philliesman
Dec '19

Wait bug do you really think the H’town PD do their own weather forecast? Lol.

They are just passing along information from the national weather service.

Jim L Jim L
Dec '19

You call it in? I see one in Summer-field, 20 out, 7:30/8 fix, no dispatch and a bigger one north of washington, same repair time, but crew onsite.

Dec '19

just saw this - effective some time after 5

4catmom 4catmom
Dec '19

Yes, I called it in. It's the Mine Hill issue rather than the Summerfield one. The robot gave me an 8:00 restoration estimate.

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '19

Jim l

Obviously not...but if you read some of the other NWS forecasts in this thread they are wildly different

Bug3
Dec '19

at least you had the chance to witness the miracle of nature that is an Eagle laying an egg before the power went out (-;

ianimal ianimal
Dec '19

Yeah, real fun.

My power is back on. Thanks power fixer people! xoxo

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '19

Good to hear your power is back Calico. Thankfully no power issues here on the east side of Rt 31 off Pequest Rd.

Looks like this is what caused your power issue:
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3176253049056445&id=123291421019305

Lenny Rock Lenny Rock
Dec '19

I saw the whole sky light up blue at 6:45, that was wild! I figured it was a transformer that blew up.

Thanks for the link, Lenny.

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '19

CBS is reporting weather condition in Hackettstown live!

Any snow amounts yet?

Bug3
Dec '19

About 2 inches in liberty - and we lost power - eta is 5pm

Dec '19

Where in Liberty? I'm at the lake on the west side and still have power.

How are the roads in Hackettstown, main and side roads?

Hackresident Hackresident
Dec '19

Main roads are fine ATM. I cannot comment on the side roads but I can’t imagine the 1” or so that’s fallen would be any big deal. That said, be safe out there and DO NOT tailgate!

Consigliere
Dec '19

Wow. It’s a rough one out there. Can we call it a dud yet??? Lol

Philliesman Philliesman
Dec '19

Did anyone notice a very bright lightening event last night about 5:45? I waited for the thunder, but nope, no thunder. It was bright enuf to turn off all of the street lights in the neighborhood.

JohnL JohnL
Dec '19

JohnL - That's probably a transformer blowing, not lightning.

This is a bust so far!

Sport
Dec '19

Not a bust for all of those who are without power and who were involved in traffic accidents. Seems the Hope/Blairstown/Hardwick area has been hit much harder.

http://outages.firstenergycorp.com/nj.html

http://www.wcpublicsafety.com/firstresponder/wc911/actframe.html

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '19

Power is bad, some getting 3pm tomorrow restores. We need a little wind to knock the weight off the trees.

4,200 out in Warren, over 10,000 in Sussex.

Dec '19

or those looking at downed or bent tree branches

4catmom 4catmom
Dec '19

Apparently it's supposed to be tonight's second stage storm that results in the main snowfall total.

Hopatcong has an area out with a downed tree taking out power lines. I hope it doesn't affect the people that bought my house. That's kind of a rude way to be welcomed into the neighborhood.

Phil D. Phil D.
Dec '19

Yeah they say the second wave will bring the bulk of the snow but I’m thinking it’s a dud so far

Consigliere
Dec '19

Does anyone know how the roads are? In Morristown till 6 coming to Hackettstown. Looking to get an update on road conditions

Verab Verab
Dec '19

Verab - roads from rockaway to Hackettstown are in great shape. 80, 46, and willow grove just wet. I gotta believe motown to rockaway is good also

The R The R
Dec '19

5,600 out in warren so not a dud. New 0/20 outages getting 11;30pm tomorrow restore meaning they don’t have a clue except its not a dud. Big outages still getting times tonight. Sussex holding around 10,000 so maybe they’ve peaked.

I got 2-5 more inches but depends whether the stall continues or it moves off shore.

Gonna freeze up tonight so may want to wait for the sun to soften tomorrow for removal. Or move some tonight.

Dec '19

We were in the 7-9 inch range last night. This is what we got.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Dec '19

So are we supposed to get 5"-9" tonight???? (the warning IS until 4am...)

hahahahahahhaha

Dec '19

Worried over snow on wires and trees. Look around as you drive. Ice and heavy snow covering them. So many people stranded or having problems. I feel for those that must drive home. Even if they left early, it's a long drive in bad weather. Stay safe as you can.

DogDayAfternoon
Dec '19

15 minutes later and 250 more families not yucking it up in Warren County. We’re at 5,850 out, some awful restore times late Tuesday night and West Penn Power is calling me to offer alternative service. Ironic ain’t it. Hopefully we will level out soon.

Not funny to a lot though. Maybe not deadly, but certainly a giant pain.

Dec '19

Anyone know when the second wave will start? Or is it over? I’m waiting to snowblow but if it’s done, I’ll do it now.

Consigliere
Dec '19

What a storm!!!! Thankfully I did the milk and bread run early yestarday!!

Dec '19

Just another inch or so will fall.

Looks like about 6 inches here.

PREDATOR PREDATOR
Dec '19

Warren at 6,200 so still rising; Sussex at 23,000 so it’s a disaster.

Dec '19

The second stage of the 5 to 9 inches is petering out I think at 9:00 PM. In Hackettstown "Kenwood" anyway.

Now I gotta figure out what to do with all the extra bread and milk.
Maybe a bread pudding, and or rice pudding, would surely be a great thing to have.

Embryodad Embryodad
Dec '19

Fire & Ems Alerts of Warren County New Jersey
1 hr ·

***Northern Warren Co***

Multiple reports of trees, limbs, wires and poles down or hanging low throughout Blairstown, Hope, Hardwick, Knowlton and Frelinghuysen Twps. Many roads are closed, please DO NOT DRIVE THROUGH BARRICADES! They are there for a reason.

Stay Safe
-The Admin

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '19

Warren County Department of Public Safety
2 hrs ·

AVAILABLE WATER AND ICE
Those who are without power can pick up free water and ice at the following locations

ACME
152 Rt 94, Blairstown, NJ

ShopRite
Rt 31N, Washington, NJ

ShopRite of Greenwich
1207 Route 22, Phillipsburg, NJ

Shop Rite - Ronetco
1965 Rt 57, Hackettstown NJ

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '19

We dodged a bullet so far in the Pequest valley of Oxford. No power issues and temps were borderline during the day and nothing stuck to roadways and sidewalks. Snow is finally sticking now to pavement as of around 10PM with these backend snow bands that have been pivoting through. A degree or two made all the difference today as can be seen JUST north of here in Hope, Hardwick, Knowlton and Frelinghuysen Twps getting hit especially hard.

Was down in Flemington today and while they had snow all day nothing stuck!

Lenny Rock Lenny Rock
Dec '19

Any word if 517 by Panther Valley is clear? Thanks!

Molly
Dec '19

As of 6:45 this morning it was still closed.

thomasnj thomasnj
Dec '19

4,800 out in Warren as of 8am. ETRs of 11:30, 3:30, and 6:30 handed out but I don’t think it means much.

Dec '19

4,900 out in Warren as of 8:30. 5,100 at 9am. Shouldn’t it be getting better?

Dec '19

The wires are heavy with the snow and ice. I'm sure they're doing their best. Tough job out there in this.

DogDayAfternoon
Dec '19

Snowmageddon was a bit of an overstatement for our area. Further north got slammed. My son said his car is buried at his campus in NY. And here in Allentown by my job they got nothing.

Metsman Metsman
Dec '19

5,900 out in Warren as of 10am and we removed all restoration times. I am not sure they are doing their best. At least in communicating WTF they are doing.

Dec '19

Parts of Sussex Co. got over a foot of snow.

https://www.nj.com/weather/2019/12/nj-snowfall-totals-update-heres-how-much-snow-fell-around-the-state-from-winter-storm.html

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '19

For jcpl, it’s a matter of manpower; we are a disaster, Sussex and Warren. The rest of NJ, MD, PA; not so bad. They just issued restores in GM of 11:30pm —- tomorrow night.

This is their best?

Dec '19

6,100 as of 11am; perhaps the pace of increase slowing? Still increasing; they are losing.

Dec '19

yeh my brother had 9.1, friend in Sussex boro had 10 and there were reports of easily a foot in Highland Lakes area. Tough to predict where those heavy bands set up. Some areas felt like a bust but overall the storm produced.

Bryan_NC Bryan_NC
Dec '19

5,100 at noon; must be getting the biggees. Good.

Dec '19

CBS 2 had a crew in Andover Twp. earlier. 36,000 people in NJ out of power and with 28,000 out in Sussex County as of the 6PM news! They're comparing it to Sandy in terms of outages. My coworker who lives 7 houses up from my old one has no power, so unfortunately a bummer of a welcome to the hood for the owners of my old house. Another coworker in the Cranberry Lake area, same thing as well as for another right on Waterloo, who was given no expected time of repair.

Just now they showed almost 27,000 out, with around 19,000 out in Sussex County & around 4-5,000 out just in the Sparta area alone. The latest estimate on the Spartans is now Saturday they're saying. Man I don't miss that. Sandy was 13 days without power for me.

Phil D. Phil D.
Dec '19

No where near sandy.. .

Bug3
Dec '19

Yeah, Sandy was warmish out...….but apparently not a teachable moment.

Still 3,100 out in Warren, 20,000 in Sussex and where is the governor and the national guard? Cuomo called them out in a heartbeat in NY. Maybe not Sandy level, but weather is far worse to be without power. Even with a generator. Remember, some gene's need to cool, most will need oil change for 20-40 hour solid run times.

Our folks still showing 11:30pm today which I gather is doable. Most in Blairstown at 1,100, Frelinghuysen (790), then Hope (500). Around us Indy has 24, Liberty (12), and ten or less elsewhere. What a difference a few feet in altitude meant.

The terrible part is after yesterday, after last night ---- they still don't have etr's on most of them except "majority by 11:30pm tonight." What a professional response showing a firm grasp of the challenge and a caring commitment to their customers. I mean it takes a brave man to say --- here's the date I am striving for a 51% complete. Imagine if you told your boss that. "when can you finish." "well, I will be 51% complete by 11:30....." Sure, no more questions there.... I am so glad they have such a firm grasp of what they are doing, when, and where. I am certain they forgot the why long ago. Some of their customers on this round have been given 4 different etrs ---- so far. And, for some (remember they said most up by 11:30), there's at least one more punt of the etr date.. A-wipes is more like it.

So I vote A+ for the folks on the street doing the work, F once again for our weather-challenged governor, and FY once again for JCPL, a First Energy Company. While cutting trees, putting in backhauls, all good ------ we should demand that these folks learn how to forecast fix times and, most important, communicate the truth to the people that pay their bills. Not a company that can't even put a human response in their call center and feels etr times are as changeable as the weather.

Dec '19

I'm out in Sussex working today, and it's bad. The amount of trees and limbs hanging on wires and wires down all over. Lucky it wasn't Warren county that got hit this hard.

Dec '19

Why do they even use telephone poles in this day and age.... Isn't it easier to run lines underground?

Metsman Metsman
Dec '19

We have been told it cost $1million a mile to put power lines underground.

Jim L Jim L
Dec '19

Of course it's NOT easier to run underground as far as JCP&L is concerned. Especially in rural areas like ours... can you imagine the expense of trenching ten miles of lines to reach a few hundred customers?

JCP&L is an "overhead" company. They have hundreds, if not thousands, of bucket trucks in NJ... I doubt they have any excavation equipment of their own.

ianimal ianimal
Dec '19

Ok isn't it more expensive to fix the same crap constantly? If you have little chance of having to deal with lines that fall because of storms then that investment seems sound. Sounds like it's just a union issue to keep lineman employed.

Metsman Metsman
Dec '19

Jim L, $1,000,000 per ONE mile? That seems like 10 times the cost it should be. How on earth could it cost that much??!!

Consigliere
Dec '19

"Ok isn't it more expensive to fix the same crap constantly?"

Maybe, maybe not.

1 or 2 workers could string up 100's of feet of new line quite simply if a wire breaks. They can also see exactly where it is broken, and either repair it or quickly route around it. Harder to do that underground.

Also, think about upgrades (more than just power lines run above ground)... better lines for faster internet etc. If the "telephone" poles weren't there already supporting the power lines, the cable/phone companies wouldn't run any utilities to your house if there's only 4 people on your street.

I do think underground lines are better looking in a town/city where they may have better underground access (if planned and constructed properly), but in rural areas it may not make sense.

If there are open fields, etc then directional boring to run some power lines underground may make sense (I see that a lot down by me) but you need the right geography/geology to do that (glacial rocks and tree roots probably aren't ideal).

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Dec '19

That's what I thought Consigliere. So you're telling me replacing downed wire, transformers, and broken poles is cheaper than digging a trench and laying down wire?! They'd save on years of overhead not having to replace lines every time there's a crippling storm.

Metsman Metsman
Dec '19

"$1,000,000 per ONE mile? That seems like 10 times the cost it should be. "

That's actually on the low side.

https://www.pgecurrents.com/2017/10/31/facts-about-undergrounding-electric-lines/

This site estimates ~$800,000 for (new) above ground lines and $3M per mile to convert to underground.

https://www.wlrn.org/post/are-underground-power-lines-really-solution-power-outages-south-florida

This one ranges from $500K to $4M per mile.

Do you really think it would be cheap in NJ?

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Dec '19

Conduits leak...thus shorting out electrical wires....just sayin...especially by a river that floods

Bug3
Dec '19

Think I got this wrong, not sure they can backhaul electric.

First, the 1M can be .5M to 3M or higher, terrain dependent. The way to do this is new development regulations where it is cheapest since the choice is in the air or under the ground and jcpl would be investing for 50 years or so in the choice.

What we need is resiliency, redundancy and the like. One of the prime components of resiliency is failure audits, learning from your mistakes. Not sure jcpl can spell that one. Communication is another component of resiliency and jcpl fails miserably on this one to the point of being liars. Other techniques include distributed networks, micro networks and similar techniques.

Lastly, our Governor should have called a disaster for Sussex, got the Nat. Guard in there to help, even if it was just hot chocolate and cookies. Literally smells of politics even though Sussex leaned towards the gov in this last go round. Bogus Dude, opportunity missed.

https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/enhance-utility-grid-resilience-icf-international

Dec '19

yes, unfortunately Consigliere that is the cost the town has been and therefore why it is not done.

Jim L Jim L
Dec '19

Strangerdanger

Thanks to the highlands act...there is no new development and probably can't bury wires either

Bug3
Dec '19

The Highlands Act primarily restricts the addition of new impervious surfaces and sources of wastewater discharge to groundwater; it would not take a position on linear development of underground utility installation.

However, the Highlands themselves, with shallow depths to bedrock and large boulders seemingly everywhere you dig... that may have some impact on it.

ianimal ianimal
Dec '19

I think if they dig up the ground they need an enviromental permit of some sort

Bug3
Dec '19

Here is a link

https://www.nj.gov/dep/landuse/activity/uline.html

Bug3
Dec '19

What they probably really need to do is to have some sort of redundancy built into the system. For example, power is going directly from point A to point B. Somewhere in there, a break in the line happens and power goes out. However, if there was some redundancy built in so that power could get to point B by going through point C, bypassing the problem, this could help avoid situations like this.

Maybe I'm oversimplifying this and maybe there is something like this is in place, I don't know. But just adding another idea. But I have worked in buildings that were on two power grids so that if there was an outage in one grid, the other grid could take over.

thomasnj thomasnj
Dec '19

New developments should be required to put utilities underground. When eastern end of Hamilton drive and other nearby homes were built the utilities were put underground.
It make for a clean look!

Jim King
Dec '19

Redundancy is a good solution ultimately. If you live by the hospital you know you’re fed from at least two points.

Sue Heck Sue Heck
Dec '19

See above, I believe redundancy and resiliency both are needed. One thing seems certain. The storms seem worse than usual, they seem to be trending up, and our power company appears to react the same way each time. Redundancy alone will not fix that.

But something should change. If this storm was less than Sandy, then why does the restoration process feel just like Sandy? Shouldn’t we have improved more? Shouldn’t we feel better?

Dec '19

Bug3, that's the NJDEP Land Use page that states that you can't put underground lines in wetlands, transition area buffers or riparian zones without a permit. That holds true everywhere in the State, not just in the Highlands region.

Jim King, for the most part, new developments ARE required to put their service lines underground. However, the distribution lines that service the new developments get there aerially.

ianimal ianimal
Dec '19

Think that’s pretty much the norm for new development.

And that’s why you want to mow down old houses for new developments. Heck with the Historic District, we need new condos! All QuickCheks wires are underground ;-)

Wanna bet Iman’s wires are underground?

Dec '19

2,300 out in Warren, 12,300 in Sussex. Painful progress at best. 48 hours in and around 30% still out. That does not seem good.

Dec '19

He meant new developments. Knock down old houses in a borough and new houses go up one by one with electric from a pole.

Thus.......condos!!!!

;-)

Dec '19

The electric comes from a pole, but the service goes down the pole and to the new house underground, rather than overhead to the house to a gooseneck... at least in little burgs that I have experience in like Lambertville, Flemington and Frenchtown.

They each have provisions in their ordinance requiring underground connections even though they are all essentially "built-out" with pole lines running down every street...

Even in the case of a cul-de-sac with 10 or 12 houses on it with the entire electrical utility underground, usually behind the sidewalk... if you go to the street to which it connects, you'll see the riser pole where the feed comes down a 4" conduit and underground from there. If a tree or car takes out that pole, it doesnt matter a lick that your neighborhood has underground service... you're still at the mercy of the weakest link in the chain.

ianimal ianimal
Dec '19

1,500 in warren, 9,500 in sussex so pace continues.

The good news is they are still working and expect to get some more by 11.

The bad news is they have completely failed to bring the majority up by 11 tonight and have reset the etr on the rest of the majority to 8pm tomorrow.

I just can’t imagine the frustration of having yet another etr being set for basically another 24 hours. Another night without power. How many resets for thousands of outage customers can they post. Bogus.

Dec '19

As we finish yet another debacle of an restoration project with 1,300 and 8,500 out in Warren and Sussex as we start the day with an 8pm etr this time; fourth etr reset I think. So tyvm, they did keep working post 6pm; the weather will be better today; they should start wrapping up.

We say AMF to our lying snake dog jcpl friends who appear to be unable to improve their broken restoration process. Enough; We need to make this a teachable moment. Otherwise I guarantee that we are in for more of the same. And the storms keep getting worse so you can see the outcome.

Who do you think we should contact on this to effect change?

Dec '19

SD, I can't remember having these many trees drooping and down. Canada had a monster ice storm a while ago, 1 inch of ice! It took down the big boys, the high tension lines. Some folks were out for 2-3 months. Luckily, up there most have backup wood stoves for heat. Sussex got hit bad. But I agree that the news should cover it more but since it is just a small fraction of the NJ population Sussex and Warren often get ignored. If it was Morris County it would be another story...

Interesting that the 1st storm of last year ("snowmageddon") they got wrong (under forecast), and this 1st storm of this season they got wrong (we got much less snow than forecast, Sussex got much more ice than forecast)... no one was pre-talking about enough ice for long-term power outages. Both 1st storms caught everyone by surprise...

4 days??? That's a Halloween Ice Storm/Hurricane Sandy length outage.

Dec '19

Sandy was 9+...halloween was about the same

Bug3
Dec '19

Depends... for me, Halloween was 5 days I think. Sandy was only 3.

Dec '19

Halloween was 7 for us and Sandy only 3. We didn't have a generator for the Halloween storm. Bought one right after it. Best investment ever. We were out for 5 days with a snowstorm and trees and wires down on our road in March 2018 as well.

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '19

“lying snake dog jcpl friends”

Better to complain to Mother Nature than to pick on guys trying to do their job.

Has anyone driven thru Sussex county? Stuff was down everywhere!

justintime justintime
Dec '19

Sandy was 9+, I was up for Halloween. This one, 8 hours, no 16 hours, wait....one more punt: 22 hours. And I was lucky compared to my neighbors. You can’t compare storms, at a pretty high level, they are not apples-to-apples. An outage at 32 degrees is different than 60 degrees for example.

This one was all about altitude. JR is low altitude with little effect but he only needed a few feet of elevation to see disaster. Drop down to Hunterdon and little damage. Tree wise, we were lucky. But I was standing in the woods when 3 tree sized limbs from three different trees snapped like flexing a pencil. No wind. The ground moved when they hit. Pretty big.

We got the basic forecast, 7 inches and an ice glaze. But the temps didn’t rise as forecasted, the wind didn’t blow, the ice held, and the snow stuck to the ice. The dead weight was the issue this time. A little 10 mph breeze and much of the dead weight would have fallen and we would have fared much better. A little warmer, like JRs house, and we would have fared much better. But we didn’t and higher up was worse.

And literally a quarter mile uphill from me, it was much worse. And Sussex is higher than that. Unusual for them to get more ice from these, but that was forecast too. It was clearly forecast for them to be in the disaster zone before the storm struck.

So no, I would say the forecast was met, the forecast changes were warned in advance, and that was as good as it gets given the storms unpredictability. Altitude did matter though big time on this one.

Point is the storms are getting worse and the repair process does not improve. PA, MD, was not crippled by this, resources could move around, jcpl resources should not have been an issue. The repair process sucks.

Dec '19

Yeh that Canada ice storm is legendary. Look it up if you are interested.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/January_1998_North_American_ice_storm

For the Oct '11 storm I didn't lose power (in the Peaks). But our lines are underground and we were on a huge hill. My elevation was like 1300' and that snow was actually powdery compared to everywhere else (good thing too because we got every bit of 20" from that one).

Sandy was the only time I really lost power there and that was 5 days.

Bryan_NC Bryan_NC
Dec '19

Can I pick on guys just trying to do their job if the are really bad at it? Matter of fact no matter how good they are, they don't stand a chance of success.

It's not the front line repair/installers; it's not their managers, it's the higher ups that set the restoration process that is, and has always been, a worse disaster than the disasters they tackle.

If you can tell me there's been progress, I will step back. I don't think there has been. And, in regards to communicating to their off-line customers, they fail to the point of being liars, straight up - in your face - I know it but I will do it anyway --- liars.

Beyond that, I think they are swell.

1pm, 1250 out in Warren, 5,900 in Sussex, moving ahead and I have great expectations for "majority up by 8pm." I hope they win on their fourth time at the etr forecast bat. Unfortunately, our area suffering less than Sussex is now suffering less attention IMO, probably due to a combination of pulling resources and having the remaining outages be more difficult to repair. I am very sorry for these folks. Somehow I don' think they are thinking, "they are doing their best, I'll blame Mother Nature." Actually I am not sure I blame Mother Nature for Mother Nature anymore.

Dec '19

As we end the day, it’s a mixed ending.

Jcpl will not meet their objective for the majority of Warren outages up by 8pm. I think they shifted resources to Sussex. The majority of our morning start if 1,300 out will still be out.

Most of our local Htown area is up; less than 5 left in Liberty.

Jcpl exceeded their lofty 52% restored expectations in Sussex; only a couple thousand left to restore from the 8,500 out morning start

Next punt is mixed: new etrs extend into tomorrow, that sucks. Etrs look specific and targeted to each location. They run deep into the night. They start at 6:30 am and sounds like jcpl going 24/7. Not a punt for the entire regional but instead a specific targeted etr ad if they really have a handle on it. Hopefully the fifth forecast will work.

My heart goes out to the affected. Five different restoration times must be beyond frustrating. Hopefully, tomorrow you can sleep well. It should be virtually done.

Dec '19

I am in Sussex County and just got power back themis afternoon.....yippee! I have been driving in to Hackettstown for work each day and have had to take some interesting routes and surprised some of the roads were open after driving on them. Finally can take my usual route again as of this afternoon's commute, but I still see a lot of side roads closed.
This storm was really a matter of miles. I drove through areas that had patches of grass on Tuesday and within a few miles, trees were weighed down with snow. We had a lot of ice on Sunday followed by a decent amount of snow on Monday. The combo was rough!
For some the storm was a bust and for me, I say, lucky you!!! Lol! Not a bust here!

Mel81 Mel81
Dec '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.