Injured Orange Tabby Cat

Driving along Willow Grove yesterday @ 5:30 pm when an orange tabby cat limped across the road on three legs. Poor thing was holding up his left front paw. He must have been in terrible pain as he had to stop a few times. He went into the Rustic Knolls area but I am concerned he's alone and suffering. Tried to get him but it was pitch dark. I hope he was able to limp home if he even has a home. If anyone knows someone in the area of Bilby Road/Commerce Rd /Rustic Knolls with a small orange tabby I'd love to know if he's OK.

Mary Ellen Meli Mary Ellen Meli
Nov '19

I work at the House of Good Shepherd. I saw the same cat last week limping around, behind our building along the waterfront. Ran off when I approached it, had no collar from what I could tell.

englishe30
Nov '19

Anyone want to help me catch this cat? I’m available Saturday and Sunday and I have a trap. Can you guys let me know where I can setup?

Hi Nj. I would definitely help trap him but I'm working. Since he seems to be living around the church maybe Good Shepherd will let you set up a trap behind the building.
Englishe30, can you find out if they will approve? It's getting really cold and the cat will not make it much longer if he can't hunt. If he's been injured without care it's apparent he's homeless and must be starving.

Nov '19

Can you contact animal control to help?

Summer Summer
Nov '19

I'm not available to help but I can lend an additional trap -

4catmom 4catmom
Nov '19

You can give them try if you want. I haven't had any luck with them.

Nov '19

Church? I didn't see that mentioned anywhere, and all the way up the hill to the nearest church is a lot different than Willow Grove/Bilby.

I may be able to help tomorrow, I'm not that far away. I can provide some food if nothing else. PM me if you want to arrange something NJ.

Contextually, I think she assumed The House of Good Shepherd is a church...

ianimal ianimal
Nov '19

My bad. Didn't realize House of Good Shepherd is assisted living. Now I know. Thanks.

Nov '19

can animal control help?

Waldo Waldo
Nov '19

Animal control would be a big help if they called back in a timely manner. The few times I've called in the past they never called back. If anyone wants to try them maybe you'll have better luck.
This is rather urgent. There is no way this cat can hunt. He literally hobbles along on three legs, stops, hobbles a few steps more, stops. It's heartbreaking.

Nov '19

He literally hobbles along on three legs, stops, hobbles a few steps more, stops.

and you or anybody who can run a few steps can't catch it?

I wish. If I could've grabbed him I would have. I was driving when I saw him hobbling across Willow Grove into Rustic Knolls woods. Catching a cat who wants to get away is near impossible.

Nov '19

So is somebody trying to trap him tomorrow? I can get him into a vet at a discount but I can't afford the bill on my own. I am happy to take him to the vet I bring bring strays & ferals to. Whoever is trapping, please PM me. It's very common for cats, especially males, too get infected front paws from fighting usually an easy fix... Antibiotics, clean wound.

Worried Worried
Nov '19

I am willing to contribute if he is caught and taken to a vet

4catmom 4catmom
Nov '19

I’m gonna go there Sunday. Animal control is too busy I’m sure for this type of case and if they catch it I’m sure it’ll be put down

I too will help with the vet bill.

Nov '19

Worried, what vet do you use?

Jesse132 Jesse132
Nov '19

NJ. So glad you're going to trap.

Nov '19

Nj what a beautiful soul you are for offering your help to save that poor baby ❤
I wish I could help, but I do have 2 traps I can lend to you. I would try setting up the traps in the woods between Rustic Knolls and House of Good Shepherds during the day time( for at night you may wind up with raccoons and oppossums). I am 90 percent sure House of Good Shepherd wouldn't mind you setting a trap there as well.( If they refuse they need to change their name to Bad). Lol!
If you need any help please feel free to pm me.

Jacqui Jacqui
Nov '19

I can help with that bills

Summer Summer
Nov '19

I am formally trained in cat herding. I will try today to see if I can round her up.

Animal_Lover_Always
Nov '19

If there's anything I can help with, PM me Animal_Lover_Always.

I am happy to help with some food/supplies during rehab... PM me any time

Weebiekins Weebiekins
Nov '19

Jesse, pm me for details. Rather not publish on here. A friend and I TNR a lot and get a discount for ferals only. Not super cheap but discounted and we're grateful for that.
Animal Lover, what do you mean by herding? Ferals need to be trapped.

Worried Worried
Nov '19

I’m here at HOGS.... oh boy there’s a lot of land here.... let me see where I can set up

I took a quick look around yesterday, and I didn't see you a few minutes ago. Unfortunately I won't be able to help until afternoon now.

I saw no sign of the cat, but would suggest the upper parking lot at the far end opposite where you come in. That seems one of the areas not too steep to be able to get from over by the corporate park down to HOGS where maybe some one might feed it. That place seems like it has some partiers once in a while and some path between the brush.

Met a man in a truck in Rustic Knolls who said he saw the cat on Willow Grove the other day. I cruised all over the area looking. I put some food out but no trap. I’m at a list where to put the trap. Suggestions anyone?

Not a fan of traps. Back in the Southwest, herding is almost exclusive over the trapping. I have used traps but most times, their legs are injured in the trap when it snaps shut. Effective for catching them but I dont like the damage they do.

Herding is more effective anyway and no damage to the cat. Feral cats in New Mexico travel in huge packs. Trapping would never work. Herding works for any number of felines.

Animal_Lover_Always
Nov '19

I’ve trapped many cats and racoons by accident. Not one was ever injured, because it was done the right way. You put the food all the way in the back of the trap so they step on the pad that sets it off.

Herding sounds interesting, how is it done?

Positive Positive
Nov '19

NJ can you post on Next Door Neighbor to try to find out who is feeding him? Maybe you can coordinate a day to set the trap where he eats?

Positive Positive
Nov '19

NJ you're probably gone by now but I saw him go into the little patch of woods next to the sign for entry to Rustic Knolls.

Nov '19

Herding cats? Here you go - I have used a havahart successfully several times also - never injured a cat - usually close the trap overnight to avoid catching wildlife

https://vimeo.com/26828021

4catmom 4catmom
Nov '19

Mary Ellen you saw him?!?!

Sometimes catching wildlife is not avoidable. When I caught the racoons, I was hiding, sitting and waiting. Trapping 101, never leave an activated trap unattended.

The best thing to do is to find out his food source or sources or else you will be running around unnecessarily.

I too, will help with the vet costs, just pm me.

Positive Positive
Nov '19

Spotted in the woods by the entrance to Stephan state park.

Englishe30 Englishe30
Nov '19

Englishe30 - Between the sign & the HOGS upper lot or between the sign & the camp site?

The first entrance to Stephens state, also the delivery entrance for Hotgs. When going down the hill it was on the left before the split in the road.

Englishe30 Englishe30
Nov '19

Thanks

Mary Ellen, IF you live in the area, please leave food out during the day only so he starts coming on a regular basis and then trapping is easier. Kind of a shot in the dark if he doesn't have a place to go daily for food.
Animal Lover, you sound like you're talking about a leg trap or something. We are only talking about humane traps. Not injured by them. Please do not try and herd this cat. You'll only make him run away farther.
Mary Ellen & NJ, please message me on here and I'll email you my #. That is if you want to use my vet or need help.

worried worried
Nov '19

Cat was seen today???? If you saw that cat at the Stephens state Park and HOGS delivery entrance than he's going to the food I put out yesterday!! If this is the case then I will set the trap and wait!! Please let me know if he was in fact seen today Thanks everyone!!!! Fingers crossed!!!

Confirmed sighting by myself today. See comment above

Englishe30 Englishe30
Nov '19

That is great NJ. Anxiously waiting for some good news.

Nov '19

Operating catch a cat in effect, fingers crossed!!

Gonna be so cold tomorrow night. It would be fantastic if you get him tonight.

Nov '19

Nothing NJ? Did you see him at all?

Nov '19

Anyone have any updates or sightings today?

Nov '19

No sighting for me, sorry guys

Is anyone planning on trying again to trap him? Is there somewhere I can leave food for him early tomorrow before I go to work? Any suggestions?

Nov '19

I saw some food left between HOGS and Stevens. Doesn't look like anything was touched. The only thing I noticed was the definite smell of skunk!! ;-)

I see it right now on Stephen park road laying in sun

It’s in the thin strip of wooded area between back of hogs and park road. I can’t get to it...any ideas?

Lc - do you mean from the bottom of the hill where HOGS delivery entrance is up to Willow Grove? If that's the case you would go to the upper parking lot and walk towards the park road. There was food in that area by the lot.

If you mean the area that's in the park up the hill, you would probably need to go to the camp site area and walk towards HOGS.

It’s laying under a tree right behind delivery area but when I try to move closer it walks away from me and I don’t want it to run away.

Someone put stinky food way in the trap and trail dry food leading to it..........
Hope it gets rescued

4catmom 4catmom
Nov '19

I have a small insulated shelter that I would love to put out there for this poor cat until it's caught. If anybody could bring it there (I'm working until 11pm) email me and maybe somebody could pick it up from me (I'm 5 mins from HOGS)

worried worried
Nov '19

Re: Injured Orange Tabby Cat

Here’s a pic of him from today when he (or she) was napping in a sunny spot in that wooded area. As I said I wasn’t able to get too near without it running a safe distance from me. Can anyone confirm if traps have been set up?

If a trap isn't set, I'll try to do that tomorrow morning. (thanks 4catmom)

I can check if any food was actually taken. Particularly if not, I'm going to try to put the trap as close to the entrance to Park Road as possible. With that smell of skunk in the morning, it won't surprise me if the cat didn't exactly take the bait.

might be a good idea to put a towel over and in the trap- I hope hope hope this works

4catmom 4catmom
Nov '19

A trap absolutely should NOT be left set without anybody there. If a feral goes in a trap in this weather it could freeze to death. And it will hurt itself trying to get out. The same goes for wildlife. If a trap is set you literally have to sit in your car and watch it.

Worried Worried
Nov '19

Agreed worried!

Too cold to leave a trap unattended

Summer Summer
Nov '19

NJ & GC, I emailed you.

Worried Worried
Nov '19

Just saw him sitting on deck of 707 Willow Grove (gray house on opposite side of road) just before hogs.

Hi guys! I’ve been out 20 times looking for that cat.... ugh. Had the trap set and not one animal has touched my food. I just found the cat house behind 707. I’ll set up the trap I guess in this area. Anyone see him limping still? I hate to be catching someone’s cat.

NJ - Haven't seen the cat at all, but I did briefly go to the upper HOGS parking lot early this morning. While there was one food dish there before, I saw more than one today. The food was completely gone from all the dishes. Can't guarantee it was the cat, but something sure ate everything.

Worried - sorry didn't get anything.

I spoke to somebody that works at HOGS. cat is still limping and/or not using one leg.
NJ, maybe know on that door and see if they feed the cat or see it often. If so, they may let you set the trap there. Are you staying nearby if you set a trap?

Worried Worried
Nov '19

OK, this is driving me crazy ! What is HOGS ?

Mariann Mariann
Nov '19

House of Good Shepherd.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '19

Yeah I’m checking trap often.... poor baby, I just wanna help him.

I saw something on Facebook about this cat, the person works over at a building on Bilby Rd and sees this cat. Might be over there too if people aren’t having luck at the willow grove locations.

Camper Camper
Nov '19

Damn. Caught a raccoon

NJ are you using a trap with a door on both ends? Easier to release wildlife. If not, message me and I can loan you one.

worried worried
Nov '19

Camper, what FB group did you see a post about the cat?

worried worried
Nov '19

It would be great if someone who works at HOGS would start regularly feeding him so then trapping would be easier. They see him and know when he comes around. If only they could put food out for him in the same place for a few days it would solve all the guessing.

Nov '19

I'd be happy to drop off food if somebody from HOGS could do that :)

worried worried
Nov '19

Left food for him again at HOGS this morning by the delivery entrance. The bowl from yesterday was clean so something is eating the food. Will leave more tomorrow morning.

Nov '19

i hope he is able to be trapped soon.

Hackresident Hackresident
Nov '19

hi, I know of someone who works in the food dept at HOGS.. should I reach out to him?

PS Contact me directly if so :)

Lc do you remember what time it was when you took the picture of him a few days ago?

Nov '19

Mary Ellen - The picture is dated almost exactly at noon.

Cage was sprung but no cat, ugh

NJ did you try to trap today? Food gone and sprung shut?

Worried Worried
Nov '19

Food still in the trap.... bummer

Any updates on this poor guy?

Positive Positive
Nov '19

Checked a couple times but still haven't seen him yet.

I have been in that area several times this week as well with no sighting.

I saw him one day this week eating. Food is there for him and a shelter. Will be trapping soon. He is very skittish. He is using both front legs but limping.

Worried Worried
Nov '19

If anyone spots him please let us know where and time of day.

NJ have you had any luck trapping?

Thanks all.

Nov '19

Worried- it was not a Facebook group it was in a persons personal page who works over there

Camper Camper
Nov '19

Do you food donations?

Is this poor cat still outside?

happiest girl
Dec '19

Yes. Food is left daily, shelter is hidden in the woods/brush. It's hard to trap when he's so sporadic but will try this week. Need to watch the trap so it could take hours. Did not have hours to do that this week.

Worried Worried
Dec '19

Has anyone at HOGS seen him this week?

Dec '19

I just found out about this topic today, I don't normally go onto Hackettstown Life. Not my cat but I've been looking for him since I saw him about a month and a half ago in the building complex across from Stephen's State Park and HOGS. I was able to get somewhat near him and then he took off into the woods. I've been looking for him every day since then and have not seen any sign of him (probably timing). The day that I saw him, I came back later and saw that someone had set up a cat carrier, some food and water for him in the building complex under some brush. I went back the next morning and the food was not touched. I meant to bring a note with me and leave my contact info to find out if that was there cat but forgot. I went back later in the day and the carrier and stuff was gone. I haven't seen it there since and didn't see the cat so I was hoping even though I hadn't seen him that they were able to get them. I would love to help out as I've been worried about him ever since.

Debbie Wertz Debbie Wertz
Dec '19

GOT HIM! I'm so happy this poor thing is of the streets. I only feed on weekends but Mary Ellen has been feeding every morning. The routine has paid off and he went in my trap this morning. I watched from a distance so immediately got him in my car. He does NOT appear to be feral. Front right paw appears bigger than his left so hoping it's an infection that can be treated. His mouth looks a little crooked. Going to the vet this week. If you can contribute, please message me. I'm still paying off a $500 bill from a stray I found in August. (who now has a great home) I wanted to help this poor cat. I will post the bill once he's been to the vet.

Worried Worried
Dec '19

Meant to include this picture

Worried Worried
Dec '19

Yeah!!! A cheap and very helpful Vet is All Pets Vet Hospital! Very nice, pulled all my cats teeth for $500 rather that the $1500 everyone else wanted! So glad he is safe!!!

Jesse132 Jesse132
Dec '19

Worried - thanks for sharing. So happy to hear this! You are a good person to help this poor kitty! THANK YOU!

Walking Girl Walking Girl
Dec '19

Worried, Great news that you were able to trap this boy and get him off the streets. Please keep us posted after his vet visit. I will be happy to contribute to the costs.

Thanks to everyone’s persistence and big hearts, this guy now has a chance to have a wonderful life!

What a handsome boy!

Positive Positive
Dec '19

Great work!

janster janster
Dec '19

Congratulations. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!

Thank you to all who were able to help find and trap this handsome orange cat. He'll be feeling better shortly. :-)

Dec '19

Thank you worried for caring!

I just sent you something on PayPal to help with the vet

Colleen Colleen
Dec '19

Colleen, how do you send money thru paypal -- I have never used that. I would like to help with the vet bill as well.

happiest girl
Dec '19

Thank you Colleen!! He's resting comfortably and warm :) Will update this post after vet and if anything else warrants an update. Hoping once settled he shows he's friendly and will definitely have the vet scan for a chip. It's a long shot but would be wonderful if he has a family.

Worried Worried
Dec '19

I'm so happy to hear this! Thank you so much for all your efforts on this.

Debbie Wertz Debbie Wertz
Dec '19

Worried, you are an amazing woman! God bless you!
I will provide some professional free grooming once he is up to date on shots and healing.

P.m me for details.

Again, congrats and blessings :)

So happy to hear this! What a nice looking kitty.

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '19

Happiest girl I sent her a message and got her PayPal address

If you would like it, I can send it to you :-)

Colleen Colleen
Dec '19

If anybody would like to donate towards this cats medical, here is a link to do that. Any amount will help, thank you!
https://www.gofundme.com/f/hogs-orange-tabby-cat?utm_source=customer&utm_medium=copy_link&utm_campaign=p_cf+share-flow-1

worried worried
Dec '19

Worried. How's he doing today?

Dec '19

Wonderful!!

Weebiekins Weebiekins
Dec '19

He's doing well today, eating and resting. Vet appointment is Friday!

worried worried
Dec '19

He sure looks comfy on his fuzzy blankets.

He must be one happy boy getting out of this rotten weather.

So glad.

Dec '19

Hooray hooray hooray!!

Hey NJ. I was hoping you'd check in. What a relief!

Dec '19

Eating well and quite cozy. Definitely limping on front leg. Will update after the vet on Friday.

Worried Worried
Dec '19

Wow, kitty! You gotz some white shoes there, I gotz white shoes too, it's why they call me White Shoes among other things, and you're looking good cause I hope you get all fixed up and safe and sound and are eating well and have good Tunamas presents AND EVERYTHiNG!!

OK. So I ramble a bit. But you're looking good!!

White Shoes White Shoes
Dec '19

Anxious to hear what's going on with his leg.

Dec '19

Good luck with the cat. please let us know what the vet said.

Dec '19

Worried, Any update on this boy’s checkup at the vet today?

I think worried is going to post an update on him tonight.

Dec '19

UPDATE! Definitely a boy. Now he's neutered, vaccines, tested NEG. That's the good news. Unfortunately his front leg is an old break (at least 2 months ago) that healed in such a way it needs to be amputated because it is causing him pain. He's young, only about a year so we are going to keep him comfortable until his surgery which will hopefully be the first week in January. $650 was raised so far.(some came in via PayPal & venmo) $250 for today's vetting. His surgery will be $1500. Hope to raise the additional $1100 so he can live pain free. If you can donate towards his surgery, Any amount is appreciated more than you know! I will get a written estimate for his surgery and potato it here. Once healed, he will be looking for a home so if you are interested in giving him a home, let me know. He's been they a lot, I will continue to update and post pictures. The vet thinks the injury was from being hit by a car. His life is only going to get better, thanks to all of you and Mary Ellen for reaching out to help him.

Worried Worried
Dec '19

So glad to read the report....................What a lucky kitty to have been rescued.
I wish I could take him but my 3 would rebel. Please keep us posted.

4catmom 4catmom
Dec '19

Worried, you can call All Pets Vet Hospital and get another estimate. They may be cheaper but I’m not sure if they do amputations.

Jesse132 Jesse132
Dec '19

Here is the number to All Pets Vet Hospital.
1-908-707-1555

Jesse132 Jesse132
Dec '19

You should apply as you may be able to get assistance here -- up to $500.
https://tripawds.org/2016/12/tripawds-asap

happiest girl
Dec '19

Worried, Many thanks for the update on the boy. Just curious, what vet did he see?

He went to Black River in Chester.

Worried Worried
Dec '19

Checked out Tripawds and unfortunately he doesn't fit the criteria for assistance.

Bottom line is it isn't cheap to amputate.

Anyone who wants to donate would be making a huge difference in this boy's life.

It would mean so much to see this through. He's young and deserves a good life after such a rough start.

Dec '19

Omg! I’m so sad to hear this!!! This poor baby has been running around like this so Ling that it actually healed. Ugh. Damn that makes me sick to my stomach. God bless each and every one of you who thought, tried, fed and helped in any way, but thank you the most to Worried! You are my hero today!!

Very true NJ. Worried is the best.

Poor thing trying to get around in pain on three legs, Heartbreaking.

We all have the opportunity to make it up to him by making him well.

If everyone here who hasn't already donated would give a small amount we could reach our goal.

Dec '19

Is there a Go Fund Me page?

Dec '19

Hackresident, It's posted above.

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '19

For anyone who missed it here's the Go Fund Me link:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/hogs-orange-tabby-cat?utm_source=customer&utm_medium=copy_link&utm_campaign=p_cf+share-flow-1

Dec '19

Let's help this baby for he deserves a life. Every $10 will help his cause. Worried is the most wonderful/unselfish person I ever met in my life. She spends countless hours saving our feline friends. Let's give her some help. Thanks

Jacqui Jacqui
Dec '19

hello is there a way I can contribute without paying a 15% tip to go fund me. please let me know. we would like to get this directly somehow

Send Worried an email n you can donate through her PayPal. Thank you for caring about that lil baby and her cause ❤

Jacqui Jacqui
Dec '19

You can change the percentage of the tip. It's just a fancy name for the fee that Gofundme charges. I wasn't happy about it either, but I guess it's to be expected from a third-party handling the fundraising.

Lonesome Dove Lonesome Dove
Dec '19

Wish we could do this for our Orange boy:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-50821392

Wow plc. That is incredible.

r

Dec '19

Tripods usually do really well.....................

4catmom 4catmom
Dec '19

Prosthetic for the dog I walk who lost her foot. It’s easy to get on and off when she’s not squirming With excitement. It is pricey, but the dog does great with it. Don’t think kitty will need it but an option for the lucky person to adopt this sweetie.

Nellejoy Nellejoy
Dec '19

Just seeing this. How is this kitty doing?

NJatHeart NJatHeart
Dec '19

Worried is taking good care of him at the moment. He is warm, fed, and safe. After the new year he is going to have the surgery. She has been accepting donations in the meantime.
Thanks for asking about him. He's a sweetie.

Dec '19

This boy, now named Jingles, is doing well. He rests, eats well, uses the litter box and enjoys (I think!) the sunny window in the room. He is on pain meds in case he is in pain, until his surgery 2nd week in Jan. He is shy. I think because he's been on his own so long, and obviously had a rough time, he needs time to adjust being inside which I am giving, him a nice quiet room. He LOVES and finishes all of his food. Here is a picture of him taken yesterday. He's in a 2nd story bathroom with lots of sun and a windowsill big enough for a bed.
UPDATE on the fundraiser! With the Gofundme & other donations people have said they will be sending, we have reached $1500! THANK YOU to all who have donated & shared his fundraiser! The vet said a few teeth are missing, possible from whatever caused his broken leg? So that should be enough for any possible dental issues also. It's heartwarming how many people care about & support this boy. I will certainly update after his surgery and if anything arises in the meantime.
IF your heart it drawn to this boy and you would like to discuss giving him a home, please message me. I unfortunately can't keep him permanently. I've rescued many over the years and often have temporary fosters. Wishing you all a wonderful holiday!

worried worried
Dec '19

He’s so beautiful! Worried, do you work with PAL? If so, they can put his pics on their website. If not, I will get in touch with FURR.

Let me know

Positive Positive
Dec '19

I’ll take Jingles if you’d like. I got 9 already!!

Worried, did Jingles have the surgery yet?

Positive Positive
Jan '20

Jingles is scheduled for surgery tomorrow.

Jan '20

Good Luck to Jingles! Please keep us updated on how it went.

Bessie Bessie
Jan '20

hi, this is going to sound really weird, but I saw a sign on the front door of Cherrybrook that someone has been missing an orange tabby in Washington NJ.
Perhaps I should call them and have them contact you. Just in case.

Best. :)

Go Jingles! Go Jingles!

Jingle Bells. Jingle Bells. Jingles all the way!!!

I hope everything turns out really well for Jingles. I got mousy to play with we could share...

Sugar Sugar
Jan '20

I know the surgery is necessary for the cat's physical comfort, I just hope he doesn't suffer any severe psychological trauma when he wakes up missing a limb. Poor kitty, I wish there was another solution.
:(

happiest girl
Jan '20

Most animals do fine when they have amputations. They are usually much happier because they no longer suffer the pain from the injury. Good luck today, jingles! Good thoughts and prayers your way!!!

Jesse132 Jesse132
Jan '20

Good Luck Jingles! Everyone here is pulling for you!

waiting for good news

4catmom 4catmom
Jan '20

Best wishes, Jingles!!!! =^..^=

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '20

prayers to Jingles and to you who I am sure is waiting with baited breath!

you can do it Jingles! Over the hump and lightspeed for sure!

Anxiously waiting to hear how Jingles is.

happiest girl
Jan '20

Mary Ellen, May we please have an update on Jingles?

How is Jingles doing?

Jesse132 Jesse132
Jan '20

Sorry for the delay in updating. Was hoping to have more info to update, but I really don't. I asked the vet to do bloodwork before surgery on Wednesday. Just wanting to make sure nothing else going on, up for the surgery etc. The vet called that day, letting me know the bloodwork would be sent out (to get more extensive results) because his chest xray (to make sure no other broken & poorly healed bones) showed his lungs 'look horrible'. He is not sure if it's from having lung worms or he's been dealing with some kind of respiratory disease? Neither of which would make his leg surgery out of the question, but it's wise to see what the results are first. We were hoping his surgery would be yesterday once the results were back but did not come back in time. Hoping it's nothing serious and surgery can be done early this week. Will update as soon as I know.

Worried Worried
Jan '20

JUST after previous update (see above) the vet called. Jingles bloodwork is fine (unremarkable). The fecal (results will be back Monday) will determine if it's lung worm. He has a few fractured & healed ribs... From being hit by the car... Very sad the pain he must have been in for over 8 weeks. Many missing/broken teeth... Any fragments etc will be handled during surgery. Will update again after Monday.

Worried Worried
Jan '20

The poor thing. Hoping all goes well this week. Thanks for the update.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '20

thank goodness you have him - so he has a chance of a good and pain free life

4catmom 4catmom
Jan '20

Praying that all goes well for Jingles. He's had such a rough start, poor little thing.

I hope he will be alright. Does sound like lung worm, but it is easy to treat and cure. Poor boy is too young to have lung issues, unless he was born with it.

Jingles made it this far, surviving with a broken leg for who knows how long. He’s a courageous kitty..a survivor.

Positive Positive
Jan '20

My dog got worms in his lungs once. He started coughing and I thought it was allergies. Coughing got worse and was treated for bronchitis. Then he started coughing up brown mucus (gross!). The vet said it was probably worms since the antibiotic didn’t work. 24 hours after the dewormer he stopped coughing. He probably got it from eating chicken poop or sniffing around the chicken run. Hopefully it’s an easy fix for Jingles. Good luck, Jingles!

Jesse132 Jesse132
Jan '20

UPDATE! Jingles DOES have lung worm. Severe case of it. Treatment is 2 weeks on meds & then 2 weeks after that, recheck. So surgery is postponed for at least a month. His appetite is good & I'm sure will feel better as the meds continue to help. I'm so glad this was discovered so he can continue to heal & feel better. I will update again!

worried worried
Jan '20

Thanks for the update Worried. Glad to hear Jingles’ lung condition is treatable. Thank you for caring for him. Will await further updates from you as time progresses.

Also, anybody can always reach out to me via email anytime they are wondering how he is. Life gets busy and time flies so I don't always think to get on here & check for posts :) BUT I'm always available & welcome emails! This boy is an example of why I devote so much of my time to helping these poor strays. All of his issues were preventable but thankful he has a chance for a better life. Spay & neuter is essential in stopping this unnecessary cycle. See kittens? Reach out for help before they are too old to domesticate. A stray can be fixed for $25.

worried worried
Jan '20

Worried,

I hope between Jingle's Lung Worm and his leg, he is on the med completely come another month. Good luck, let us know how the handsome boy is doing. Thanks for taking such care of him!

Jan '20

Interesting ref: Lung Worm in Cats:

https://caringvets.com/2015/05/treating-lungworms-in-felines/

The end of the article AJMS posted has a link to the Companion Animal Parasite Council. That organization is an excellent reference for pet owners who want to know more about all kinds of parasites and treatments.

https://capcvet.org/

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jan '20

The article was very interesting. Jingles is on 2 weeks of fenbendazole which is the treatment mentioned in the article. I think the cat in the article was getting the topical treatment (unless I am misunderstanding it) because giving a barn cat oral meds every day for 2 weeks can be tricky. Because Jingles is inside I can easily give him the meds in his food. He eats his canned food completely even with the meds. Its the granules. He is eating well, breathing seems much better (was a bit rapid). He will go for a recheck 2 weeks after the meds are finished which is Friday. So recheck around the middle of Feb.

worried worried
Jan '20

So yesterday my cat needed his rear leg amputated. I came home Thursday evening and he was not putting any weight on his back leg. I took him to All Pets Vet Hospital yesterday, the fracture was so severe that amputation was the best option. He’s a bit annoyed right now but he will adjust.

Jesse132 Jesse132
Feb '20

So sorry to hear, Jesse132 - How did he break his leg?

4catmom 4catmom
Feb '20

I have no idea how he did it. I was gone all day. Maybe he jumped off the counter and landed wrong, maybe he got it caught in something. But he is recovering and adjusting well.

Jesse132 Jesse132
Feb '20

Jesse132 I’m so sorry to hear about your cat!!!

Thanks Nj. He’s doing well. Still a bit annoyed but he will be fine.

Jesse132 Jesse132
Feb '20

Jesse so sorry to hear as well. Us kitty moms and dads have to stick together :)

Thank you. He’s hanging out in the sauna right now keeping to himself. I moved his food, water, bed and litter box in there. He’s just taking time to heal and adapt to his new situation. Ps... I never use the sauna, I store all my Christmas stuff in there. :-)

Jesse132 Jesse132
Feb '20

Hello worried, Any news concerning Jingle’s condition?

Jingle's had his recheck & the lung worm is all gone! Next step it to do his dental. When he was neutered, the vet said he had a few broken teeth. He holds his mouth as if it hurts at times (although he eats very well) They have to be addressed (most likely removed) or they will cause issues for sure. At that time, they will xray his leg again because he has been playing and jumping around the bathroom easily, I'm wondering if the amputation is necessary (if his leg is causing pain). My thought is maybe the months of rest has given it time to heal more stable, I sent videos of Jingles to the vet so she can see how is is using it. So the dental & xrays of the leg are on the 13th. Will update then!

worried worried
Mar '20

Thanks for the update concerning Jingles’ condition worried. I hope he continues to improve and might not need the leg amputation.

It would be awesome if Jingles didn't need the amputation after all.

happiest girl
Mar '20

thanks so much for the update

4catmom 4catmom
Mar '20

Hopefully his leg healed and is not causing him pain! It would be great if he could avoid the amputation! My cat is adjusting to 3 legs, he’s doing well and seems happy! Good luck, Jingles!

Jesse132 Jesse132
Mar '20

Worried, So happy you are taking care of Jingles. keep us updated.

Mar '20

Great news! Keep us posted.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '20

Jingles needs your help moving forward. Thank you for all the support you’ve given him through your concerned messages and GoFundMe contributions but its now time for Jingles to find a home. After battling a broken leg, lung worm and the emotional trauma of being sick and alone outside, he has since been safe and cared for but as we are all experiencing, being alone is not living. He lives in a bathroom and retreats to the safety of his carrier when I walk in. Imagine a life with no physical contact not just during a pandemic , but forever. Jingles is a survivor and deserves his best chance at a good life with a family that will understand him. I am confident that with patience and commitment he will learn to trust and become a loving addition to a family. Please continue your kindness and concern by helping me place Jingles in a forever home. If we all share this post with our social media friends and favorite rescue groups, Jingles is certain that we can help him find his home.

Worried Worried
May '20

I’d love to take him. I have treated many ferals and have a few here living with me. Please let me know and I’ll show you my home and my cats.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.