Injured Orange Tabby Cat

Driving along Willow Grove yesterday @ 5:30 pm when an orange tabby cat limped across the road on three legs. Poor thing was holding up his left front paw. He must have been in terrible pain as he had to stop a few times. He went into the Rustic Knolls area but I am concerned he's alone and suffering. Tried to get him but it was pitch dark. I hope he was able to limp home if he even has a home. If anyone knows someone in the area of Bilby Road/Commerce Rd /Rustic Knolls with a small orange tabby I'd love to know if he's OK.

Mary Ellen Meli Mary Ellen Meli
November 7th

I work at the House of Good Shepherd. I saw the same cat last week limping around, behind our building along the waterfront. Ran off when I approached it, had no collar from what I could tell.

englishe30
November 7th

Anyone want to help me catch this cat? I’m available Saturday and Sunday and I have a trap. Can you guys let me know where I can setup?

Hi Nj. I would definitely help trap him but I'm working. Since he seems to be living around the church maybe Good Shepherd will let you set up a trap behind the building.
Englishe30, can you find out if they will approve? It's getting really cold and the cat will not make it much longer if he can't hunt. If he's been injured without care it's apparent he's homeless and must be starving.

4 weeks ago

Can you contact animal control to help?

I'm not available to help but I can lend an additional trap -

You can give them try if you want. I haven't had any luck with them.

4 weeks ago

Church? I didn't see that mentioned anywhere, and all the way up the hill to the nearest church is a lot different than Willow Grove/Bilby.

I may be able to help tomorrow, I'm not that far away. I can provide some food if nothing else. PM me if you want to arrange something NJ.

Contextually, I think she assumed The House of Good Shepherd is a church...

My bad. Didn't realize House of Good Shepherd is assisted living. Now I know. Thanks.

4 weeks ago

can animal control help?

Animal control would be a big help if they called back in a timely manner. The few times I've called in the past they never called back. If anyone wants to try them maybe you'll have better luck.
This is rather urgent. There is no way this cat can hunt. He literally hobbles along on three legs, stops, hobbles a few steps more, stops. It's heartbreaking.

4 weeks ago

He literally hobbles along on three legs, stops, hobbles a few steps more, stops.

and you or anybody who can run a few steps can't catch it?

I wish. If I could've grabbed him I would have. I was driving when I saw him hobbling across Willow Grove into Rustic Knolls woods. Catching a cat who wants to get away is near impossible.

4 weeks ago

So is somebody trying to trap him tomorrow? I can get him into a vet at a discount but I can't afford the bill on my own. I am happy to take him to the vet I bring bring strays & ferals to. Whoever is trapping, please PM me. It's very common for cats, especially males, too get infected front paws from fighting usually an easy fix... Antibiotics, clean wound.

I am willing to contribute if he is caught and taken to a vet

I’m gonna go there Sunday. Animal control is too busy I’m sure for this type of case and if they catch it I’m sure it’ll be put down

I too will help with the vet bill.

4 weeks ago

Worried, what vet do you use?

Jesse132 Jesse132
4 weeks ago

NJ. So glad you're going to trap.

4 weeks ago

Nj what a beautiful soul you are for offering your help to save that poor baby ❤
I wish I could help, but I do have 2 traps I can lend to you. I would try setting up the traps in the woods between Rustic Knolls and House of Good Shepherds during the day time( for at night you may wind up with raccoons and oppossums). I am 90 percent sure House of Good Shepherd wouldn't mind you setting a trap there as well.( If they refuse they need to change their name to Bad). Lol!
If you need any help please feel free to pm me.

I can help with that bills

I am formally trained in cat herding. I will try today to see if I can round her up.

Animal_Lover_Always
4 weeks ago

If there's anything I can help with, PM me Animal_Lover_Always.

I am happy to help with some food/supplies during rehab... PM me any time

Weebiekins Weebiekins
4 weeks ago

Jesse, pm me for details. Rather not publish on here. A friend and I TNR a lot and get a discount for ferals only. Not super cheap but discounted and we're grateful for that.
Animal Lover, what do you mean by herding? Ferals need to be trapped.

I’m here at HOGS.... oh boy there’s a lot of land here.... let me see where I can set up

I took a quick look around yesterday, and I didn't see you a few minutes ago. Unfortunately I won't be able to help until afternoon now.

I saw no sign of the cat, but would suggest the upper parking lot at the far end opposite where you come in. That seems one of the areas not too steep to be able to get from over by the corporate park down to HOGS where maybe some one might feed it. That place seems like it has some partiers once in a while and some path between the brush.

Met a man in a truck in Rustic Knolls who said he saw the cat on Willow Grove the other day. I cruised all over the area looking. I put some food out but no trap. I’m at a list where to put the trap. Suggestions anyone?

Not a fan of traps. Back in the Southwest, herding is almost exclusive over the trapping. I have used traps but most times, their legs are injured in the trap when it snaps shut. Effective for catching them but I dont like the damage they do.

Herding is more effective anyway and no damage to the cat. Feral cats in New Mexico travel in huge packs. Trapping would never work. Herding works for any number of felines.

Animal_Lover_Always
3 weeks ago

I’ve trapped many cats and racoons by accident. Not one was ever injured, because it was done the right way. You put the food all the way in the back of the trap so they step on the pad that sets it off.

Herding sounds interesting, how is it done?

Positive Positive
3 weeks ago

NJ can you post on Next Door Neighbor to try to find out who is feeding him? Maybe you can coordinate a day to set the trap where he eats?

Positive Positive
3 weeks ago

NJ you're probably gone by now but I saw him go into the little patch of woods next to the sign for entry to Rustic Knolls.

3 weeks ago

Herding cats? Here you go - I have used a havahart successfully several times also - never injured a cat - usually close the trap overnight to avoid catching wildlife

https://vimeo.com/26828021

Mary Ellen you saw him?!?!

Sometimes catching wildlife is not avoidable. When I caught the racoons, I was hiding, sitting and waiting. Trapping 101, never leave an activated trap unattended.

The best thing to do is to find out his food source or sources or else you will be running around unnecessarily.

I too, will help with the vet costs, just pm me.

Positive Positive
3 weeks ago

Spotted in the woods by the entrance to Stephan state park.

Englishe30 Englishe30
3 weeks ago

Englishe30 - Between the sign & the HOGS upper lot or between the sign & the camp site?

The first entrance to Stephens state, also the delivery entrance for Hotgs. When going down the hill it was on the left before the split in the road.

Englishe30 Englishe30
3 weeks ago

Thanks

Mary Ellen, IF you live in the area, please leave food out during the day only so he starts coming on a regular basis and then trapping is easier. Kind of a shot in the dark if he doesn't have a place to go daily for food.
Animal Lover, you sound like you're talking about a leg trap or something. We are only talking about humane traps. Not injured by them. Please do not try and herd this cat. You'll only make him run away farther.
Mary Ellen & NJ, please message me on here and I'll email you my #. That is if you want to use my vet or need help.

Cat was seen today???? If you saw that cat at the Stephens state Park and HOGS delivery entrance than he's going to the food I put out yesterday!! If this is the case then I will set the trap and wait!! Please let me know if he was in fact seen today Thanks everyone!!!! Fingers crossed!!!

Confirmed sighting by myself today. See comment above

Englishe30 Englishe30
3 weeks ago

That is great NJ. Anxiously waiting for some good news.

3 weeks ago

Operating catch a cat in effect, fingers crossed!!

Gonna be so cold tomorrow night. It would be fantastic if you get him tonight.

3 weeks ago

Nothing NJ? Did you see him at all?

3 weeks ago

Anyone have any updates or sightings today?

3 weeks ago

No sighting for me, sorry guys

Is anyone planning on trying again to trap him? Is there somewhere I can leave food for him early tomorrow before I go to work? Any suggestions?

3 weeks ago

I saw some food left between HOGS and Stevens. Doesn't look like anything was touched. The only thing I noticed was the definite smell of skunk!! ;-)

I see it right now on Stephen park road laying in sun

It’s in the thin strip of wooded area between back of hogs and park road. I can’t get to it...any ideas?

Lc - do you mean from the bottom of the hill where HOGS delivery entrance is up to Willow Grove? If that's the case you would go to the upper parking lot and walk towards the park road. There was food in that area by the lot.

If you mean the area that's in the park up the hill, you would probably need to go to the camp site area and walk towards HOGS.

It’s laying under a tree right behind delivery area but when I try to move closer it walks away from me and I don’t want it to run away.

Someone put stinky food way in the trap and trail dry food leading to it..........
Hope it gets rescued

I have a small insulated shelter that I would love to put out there for this poor cat until it's caught. If anybody could bring it there (I'm working until 11pm) email me and maybe somebody could pick it up from me (I'm 5 mins from HOGS)

Re: Injured Orange Tabby Cat

Here’s a pic of him from today when he (or she) was napping in a sunny spot in that wooded area. As I said I wasn’t able to get too near without it running a safe distance from me. Can anyone confirm if traps have been set up?

If a trap isn't set, I'll try to do that tomorrow morning. (thanks 4catmom)

I can check if any food was actually taken. Particularly if not, I'm going to try to put the trap as close to the entrance to Park Road as possible. With that smell of skunk in the morning, it won't surprise me if the cat didn't exactly take the bait.

might be a good idea to put a towel over and in the trap- I hope hope hope this works

A trap absolutely should NOT be left set without anybody there. If a feral goes in a trap in this weather it could freeze to death. And it will hurt itself trying to get out. The same goes for wildlife. If a trap is set you literally have to sit in your car and watch it.

Agreed worried!

Too cold to leave a trap unattended

NJ & GC, I emailed you.

Just saw him sitting on deck of 707 Willow Grove (gray house on opposite side of road) just before hogs.

Hi guys! I’ve been out 20 times looking for that cat.... ugh. Had the trap set and not one animal has touched my food. I just found the cat house behind 707. I’ll set up the trap I guess in this area. Anyone see him limping still? I hate to be catching someone’s cat.

NJ - Haven't seen the cat at all, but I did briefly go to the upper HOGS parking lot early this morning. While there was one food dish there before, I saw more than one today. The food was completely gone from all the dishes. Can't guarantee it was the cat, but something sure ate everything.

Worried - sorry didn't get anything.

I spoke to somebody that works at HOGS. cat is still limping and/or not using one leg.
NJ, maybe know on that door and see if they feed the cat or see it often. If so, they may let you set the trap there. Are you staying nearby if you set a trap?

OK, this is driving me crazy ! What is HOGS ?

House of Good Shepherd.

Calico696 Calico696
3 weeks ago

Yeah I’m checking trap often.... poor baby, I just wanna help him.

I saw something on Facebook about this cat, the person works over at a building on Bilby Rd and sees this cat. Might be over there too if people aren’t having luck at the willow grove locations.

Damn. Caught a raccoon

NJ are you using a trap with a door on both ends? Easier to release wildlife. If not, message me and I can loan you one.

Camper, what FB group did you see a post about the cat?

It would be great if someone who works at HOGS would start regularly feeding him so then trapping would be easier. They see him and know when he comes around. If only they could put food out for him in the same place for a few days it would solve all the guessing.

2 weeks ago

I'd be happy to drop off food if somebody from HOGS could do that :)

Left food for him again at HOGS this morning by the delivery entrance. The bowl from yesterday was clean so something is eating the food. Will leave more tomorrow morning.

2 weeks ago

i hope he is able to be trapped soon.

Hackresident Hackresident
2 weeks ago

hi, I know of someone who works in the food dept at HOGS.. should I reach out to him?

PS Contact me directly if so :)

Lc do you remember what time it was when you took the picture of him a few days ago?

2 weeks ago

Mary Ellen - The picture is dated almost exactly at noon.

Cage was sprung but no cat, ugh

NJ did you try to trap today? Food gone and sprung shut?

Food still in the trap.... bummer

Any updates on this poor guy?

Positive Positive
2 weeks ago

Checked a couple times but still haven't seen him yet.

I have been in that area several times this week as well with no sighting.

I saw him one day this week eating. Food is there for him and a shelter. Will be trapping soon. He is very skittish. He is using both front legs but limping.

If anyone spots him please let us know where and time of day.

NJ have you had any luck trapping?

Thanks all.

1 week ago

Worried- it was not a Facebook group it was in a persons personal page who works over there

Do you food donations?

Is this poor cat still outside?

happiest girl
6 days ago

Yes. Food is left daily, shelter is hidden in the woods/brush. It's hard to trap when he's so sporadic but will try this week. Need to watch the trap so it could take hours. Did not have hours to do that this week.

Worried Worried
6 days ago

Has anyone at HOGS seen him this week?

1 day ago

I just found out about this topic today, I don't normally go onto Hackettstown Life. Not my cat but I've been looking for him since I saw him about a month and a half ago in the building complex across from Stephen's State Park and HOGS. I was able to get somewhat near him and then he took off into the woods. I've been looking for him every day since then and have not seen any sign of him (probably timing). The day that I saw him, I came back later and saw that someone had set up a cat carrier, some food and water for him in the building complex under some brush. I went back the next morning and the food was not touched. I meant to bring a note with me and leave my contact info to find out if that was there cat but forgot. I went back later in the day and the carrier and stuff was gone. I haven't seen it there since and didn't see the cat so I was hoping even though I hadn't seen him that they were able to get them. I would love to help out as I've been worried about him ever since.

Debbie Wertz Debbie Wertz
10 hours ago

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Injured Orange Tabby Cat
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.