Need suggestions for travel time to new job

I am starting a new job on November 12th in Morris Plains. I haven't traveled that way since the early 2000's. I will be coming from Rockport Road area. Up and over Schooleys Mountain, through Chester....etc. I start at 8am. I was thinking about leaving at 7am. Is that accurate?

Breathe.. Breathe..
Oct '19

Give yourself more time than that. Schooleys getting down the hill by the courthouse gets backed up, plus the school busses etc.

Better off leaving at 6:30am and gauge it from there.

An hour should be good. To be on the safe side, leave a few minutes earlier. Use WAZE to help with other route suggestions.

If you leave at 630...sussex turnpike might be an option.....but my favorite is to take rt10 up to millbrook( first light past ccm college) take a couple back roads to shongum lake road...that will put you on hanover ave near the morris county communication center..morris plains is a hop skip and a jump away.....past millbrook rt 10 gets nasty

Bug3
Oct '19

I used to work in Morris Plains, fire department / post office area, from 8:30AM and was driving from Target area. If you will driving thru towns you may get stuck after school buses in all and every one of them. Crossing Turnpike in Randolph takes 10-15 minutes because of the traffic to Morristown. On a good morning during school year driving on Route 10 would take 1 hour 5 minutes from my door to my desk. I always estimated 1 hour 15 minutes commute to be sure I am not late. The earlier you go, the quicker commute. At least once every 2 weeks my commute would take 1 hour 45 minutes due to auto accidents. Once a month 2 hours. The only positive side of my morning commute - I was really awake when I would come to work and completely aware of all local events and international news depending on a radio station I was listening.

leave at 6:30 at the latest. I go to parsippany and go through Randolph. if i leave at 6:30 I bypass most of the school traffic. Otherwise it turns my 1 hr commute to 1 hr 20 mins.

If we had time travel, travel time would not exist. Think about it :>)

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Oct '19

I am surprised anyone would take a position anywhere involving commuting and not researching prior to interviewing and certainly after accepting a position...

steven steven
Oct '19

Happens all the time for good jobs especially. My first stint here was a Motown office that moved to Parsippany between my acceptance and arrival. I really wanted to be on the green.

Besides all commutes in NJ are 45 min clear and 1.5 hours rush ;-). It’s a small state.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Oct '19

There is another option

The train from Hackettstown leaves at 630 and arrives in morris plains about 730

Bug3
Oct '19

@Breathe.. good luck in your new position. Lots of useful advice posted here: leave 6:30 am and use WAZE. To make the commute enjoyable, I like to listen to audible books from the public library. Then if you arrive early, you can just continue with your book.

Chickadee Chickadee
Oct '19

Honestly from here to Morris Plains is not a bad commute, it's actually enjoyable taking the back roads (except in the snow). I would try to leave your house between 6:30 - 6:45 at the latest, you are going to be hitting a lot of school traffic if you leave at 7.

earlybird
Oct '19

Every morning between now and your start date have Waze/Googlemaps calculate your estimated travel time to get an idea how long it will take. You’ll see how much it can vary from day to day.

BeerFan
Oct '19

Traffic backs up going down Schooleys around 7, though it does move.

Blackcat Blackcat
Oct '19

6:30 to be safe. Leaving your house at 7 to get to Morris Plains is cutting it way too close.

HTownAce
Oct '19

Your 1st week leave an extra hour earlier than you believe it will take....you DO NOT want to arrive late your 1st week..

steven steven
Oct '19

Thanks everyone for your assistance with this. There were some wonderful suggestions. I know that this commute can be a pain at times, I used to work in Cedar Knolls back in the early 2000's. I did my research, I am not new to the employment world, it's just that I haven't traveled out that way early in the morning for almost 15 years and wanted to know if the traffic pattern was the same, worse, or status quo. I'm excited for this transfer, not so much the commute, but it's time for a new adventure.

Breathe.. Breathe..
Oct '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.