Roku Streaming Device

Looking to cut-the-cord with COMCAST cable in favor of using a streaming device for shows. I am considering a Roku. The Roku Premier looks nice and is affordable. Any thoughts from the forum?

I recently purchased my own modem and Roku boxes to avoid all equipment rental fees. Basically I was buying a modem and router every year at thrift fees. I’ve kept my basic service as looking into cancelling it then adding all the subscriptions kind of makes it close to what I was paying. My rental fees on boxes and modem was almost half my bill.

Steve Steve
Oct '19

Have two work great. Have a lot of commercials.

shitz tsu mom
Oct '19

Write down all the channels you want to have on your streaming device, determine if you need DVR or not, & then Google them to read reviews & details on them. They all give you 7 day free trial. I don't use Roku, I use Playstation Vue.

Good luck! You will love not having to shell out al that $ to the cable company!

There are alot of different streaming services compatible with roku.. .just pick the one that meets your need...you can cancel and reconnect..with no extra charges...there is sling( dish network), directv, hulu,disney, yahoo and others...you need comcast internet though

Bug3
Oct '19

Thank you all very much for sharing your comments.

Steve,
what modem did you buy and where? We have been contemplating to do the same as Cablevision/Altice is getting so expensive.

Should we still keep the basic subscriptions though or one of the streaming services can provide them as well? Thoughts?

Thanks all as this is very helpful. Just need to do what Luca suggested to list down what channels we really need aside from basics.

SoccerMomof2 SoccerMomof2
Oct '19

This is the modem/router I got from amazon. https://www.amazon.com/MOTOROLA-MT7711-Gigabit-Comcast-Internet/dp/B07GX2ZQXG/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=xfinity+router+modem&qid=1571245643&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExNEhHNDJQVDhDSUgwJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTc1NzMxUEdIOUhISFoyQkpPJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAyMTM4OTYzNzdHMzVGNjRWSjA4JndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

If you don't need the VOIP phone than you can save another $30-50 off the modem without this feature. If you don't need it to double as a router then there are also cheaper options. You just need it to be compatible with the Xfinity service.

You can keep your current cable plan or reduce it, up to you. You're just saving the rental fees. Also, If you have the triple play bundle with DVR, you keep the DVR it's only $3 a month rental for the package. This way the Xfinity apps you use via ROKU or phones has the ability to set recordings and watch your recordings just like your boxes.

Steve Steve
Oct '19

Between Prime and Hulu, I miss nothing. If there is a game on that you really want to see, go on reddit and you will find a link.

JohnT223 JohnT223
Oct '19

I too have Prime and Netflix which is picked up by T-Mobile. For myself I'd ditch cable in a heartbeat. So many places to find streams of stuff you want to see. The issues is my wife and daughter. They like certain channels and things and to pay individually for subs works out close if not more than basic cable. So you still need to decide what you're watching priorities are.

Steve Steve
Oct '19

I'm using a NETGEAR CM600 modem for INTERNET access along with a NETGEAR Nighthawk wifi router and a ROKU Ultra (4670R) streaming device for viewing shows. All products purchased locally at Best Buy. You might be able to find an upgraded version of the NETGEAR modem and router as mine are a few years old now. Modem, router and ROKU easy to set up and work well together.

Plenty of free shows with ROKU and others available with subscription to hulu and Prime as JohnT223 mentioned.

I use Roku3 and Google Chromecast for my 3 TV's

Playstation Vue as my streaming provider.

Also Comcast for the internet...I wish there was a way around this but I haven't found a way yet.

Still saving over $100 a month able cutting the cord

I need some advice - i am teck challenged when it comes to this stuff! currently i have optimum for one tv in the house with a "box". I want to get the history channel and add internet along with a land line... where do i begin? i called optimim and they quoted $187! that is almost double what i am paying now... any ideas...
thanks in advance!

hi JM
Ditch the landline. Cut the cord. We did over 10 years ago and have saved thousands!

You can buy an Apple TV or ROKU to get the History Channel app. You can subscribe to them directly. We pay for CBS and Youtube as we enjoy those channels.

Here's some info on History Channel.

https://cordcuttingreport.com/2019/05/15/history-channel-live-stream/

You may have gotten a high cost due to trying to keep a phone. We pay 60/month for internet only on promotion. We call every year at the end of the promotion to get the new promotional price. Beware, they will try to force you into the 'triple play' which is TV, Internet, and Phone. Do not go for that as it's a way to get you paying more later.

My advice is to go internet only and use Roku or Apple TV (we have both) and pay for a service or two that really makes you happy. Good luck!

friendly mcface friendly mcface
Jan '20

We use Ooma for land line phone, Amazon Firestick with hulu plus live and we get all three major networks plus more live tv.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jan '20

comcast internet is cheaper if you bundle it with a small basic cable package

bug3
Jan '20

Love my Roku. Got it so that I could drop my cable company, but it wound up being MORE to just have internet alone. More? Yup. Then, they tried to talk me into triple play stuff and I kept saying I don't need a phone and so on. Long story short - love my Roku - have that, cable - unfortunately just TV and internet - kept TV, because it was more money to eliminate it for some odd reason. The Roku has been awesome. I can add channels for free, and have a few things like Netflix and Disney Plus. I've never had a problem with Roku in two years.

DogDayAfternoon
Jan '20

Love the roku. Saved around $1000 since we started using o we cable. And that’s with sling TV.

Consigliere
Jan '20

Is Youtube tv available in Hackettstown area ?? and if not which are the best services. Got Comcast bill $253 got to look at other options.

I cut the cord about 5 years ago and never looked back.

My only charge to comcast is for internet service only because I have no other option in the area.

I began with returning all of the leased equipment and replacing with AppleTV (the comcast staff was pretty confused at the time because they challenged me on how I was going to watch TV). When returning equipment, make sure to save the return receipt because they did not take the lease off my bill for 2 months, I had to fight the charges and send them a copy of my equipment receipt to prove my case.

I obtained a netgear cable modem online, I had to check with the comcast website to get a device which was on their list of supported devices.

https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/customerinfo

At first there were limited options for live TV and limited apps, but as the years have gone on there are more and more choices and it totally works for me.

Best of luck.

Yes You Tube TV is in this area.

What is roko and where do you get it?

Amazon is one source

https://www.amazon.com/Roku-Express-Definition-Streaming-Player/dp/B075XN1NZC

thehazguy thehazguy
Jan '20

Best Buy has them too. That’s where I got mine. There are different models to choose from. Check out the ROKU web site for details.

Also interested in cutting the cord - looking at youtube tv - already have firestick, netflix, prime ---is there a way to get hbo which is not part of the youtube tv offering?

4catmom 4catmom
Feb '20

^ You can buy HBO subscription through Amazon Prime.

D-ManPV D-ManPV
Feb '20

Thanks - wondering what Optimum actually charges for internet only - the only prices I can find are for new customers - so I suspect they are a bunch higher for a current customer looking to cut way back

4catmom 4catmom
Feb '20

^ Optimum just increased prices. For me internet only (including modem rental) is now $95 a month.

D-ManPV D-ManPV
Feb '20

4CatMom, when I checked with them, they wanted about 90 dollars for just the damn internet. I couldn't believe it. Then, they kept trying to talk me into TV, internet, and the phone Triple Play. I said I used to have it but didn't use the phone so I don't want it back. It was a 45 minute call that drove me insane. LOL. Ridiculous amount for just internet. Wish I could find another internet option. That's all we need. We have a ton of streaming devices.

DogDayAfternoon
Feb '20

thanks - lots to consider

4catmom 4catmom
Feb '20

My rokus came today actually, can't wait to cancel. With Xfinity my internet for the blast will be 95 (with modem.) Didn't tell them I was getting one so should be around 78. Blast is the faster internet you can prob settle for the basic plan just to stream shows.

Yesimpc Yesimpc
Feb '20

I travel a lot, so what I do is cancel my Comcast account when I'm gone on longer trips. Then, I when I return, I come back at "new customer" rates. I'm paying $49/month for 2 years with no contract, so I will cancel again when I go on my next trip.

I do not know what the minimum duration is for canceling to be considered a new customer.

I purchased my own modem. It pays for itself in less than a year, and it also allows me to just call Comcast to turn on/off rather than having to physically go turn it/get the equipment during business hours in Mansfield.

I now have Internet + YouTube live for $100 month for the months I'm home. I had been paying $220 a month through Comcast, and that was with no premium channels at all.

None of us will be truly out of the clutches of ISP until we have choice of provider where we live. For now, this is a terrific workaround.

4of4
Feb '20

Cut the cord a year & a half ago. Optimum internet is $70 for the 300 speed & YouTube TV is $49.99.

Comcast raised my price to $230.00 per month for the triple play, and at this point there is really not all that much on TV that I really want to watch. I kept the Comcast internet blast service which is with rental, taxes and assorted fees now $113.00 per month.
I bought a Roku at Target, they had a couple of different offerings for Roku, I think mine was $39.99, I am now using Youtube TV, $49.99 per month, and strangely enough, the Roku does not have a Youtube app on it, but my Sony Blu Ray / DVD player does have a Youtube app, as well as a bunch of other apps.
Really love the Tubi app, fantastically bad "B" movies there.
Also, bought a Consumer Cellular phone at Target, I bought a cheaper phone $80.00 for a Motorola E6, and paying $30.00 per month for Consumer Cellular.I was paying $65.00 per month for Verizon.
The reps at both Comcast and Verizon were annoyed with me when I changed/ dropped my services....

Gman, You can save a bit more on your COMCAST Internet if you purchase your own modem and router and change service from Blast to Performance Pro. That’s what I did and I now pay $79.00 per month for Internet only service. Also, see if your Roku has a menu for selecting streaming channels. If so you should be able to add Youtube.

My Roku has YouTube on it.
Have Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, Prime, plus assorted channels that are free added.

I'd love to cut the cord. But paying 100 a month for just internet is ridiculous.

DogDayAfternoon
Feb '20

Unfortunately, as time goes on, internet service rates are going to go thru the roof as more people cut the cord and go the streaming route to make up for lost revenue. Towns need to allow multiple vendors to provide this service instead of allowing monopolies that are unregulated in what they can charge.

Thomasnj Thomasnj
Feb '20

$79/mo, other 100/mo just for internet?

Have any of you try/area covers: http://secable.com/ ?

49/mo --- 50Mbps

have Roku, watch movies, while kids play Xbox & other online / having 4 lines running, no buffering/lags/nor breaks

ftcfda@aol.com ftcfda@aol.com
Feb '20

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.