Purchasing a house

Hello everyone and I’d like to thank anyone who chimes in in advance. I’m looking into purchasing a home I’ve pretty much narrowed it down to Mt. Olive area and came across a decent house in long valley now. I’ve researched all the threads I can find but most of them are old. I’m commuting to Bergen county area mom-fri. I cant really move to much further east because prices and taxes really sky rocket, or I would. Anyone commute from long valley? And how is it? I’m on the road by 5-5:30 a.m.. I also read long valley is good and nice area so if you like to share any other info feel free. Thank you again!

That early you should be ok for the most part. Leave after 7:00 is another story. Getting home after 3:00 the traffic usually is backing up.

When I did almost that commute, I left at 5:30 and it was okay. It picked up during school season, though, because by the time I got down further, they buses would be out. But, 5 or 5:30 is so much better than 7. Good luck to you with your home search and I hope you find a lovely house for you and your family.

DogDayAfternoon
Jul '19

Long valley has a great school system. Cheaper taxes than randolph even with more property and square footage houses. Easy to get to all your major shopping as well. If you get public utilities its a flat rate of over $1600 a year for sewage and water is extra. So they do hit you there. Better off with oil, well, and septic believe it or not. Love the area though.

Forcefed4door Forcefed4door
Jul '19

Might want to check out the Succasunna section of Roxbury- south of Rte 10.
Nice neighborhoods- all public utilities.
Save yourself 25-30 minutes each way commuting.

Stymie Stymie
Jul '19

Stymie how are the schools over there and taxes? Also anything eles I should be aware of in long valley? Thanks for the info so far I appreciate it!

For comparison, Average Taxes for the 2018 Year:

Randolph $12,518
Long Valley $11,209
Mount Olive $10,107
Roxbury $8,984
Hackettstown $8,354

Schools- very good.
I would typify Long Valley as suburban/rural
Succasunna as more suburban.
I would pick Long Valley if the commute wasn’t a factor.
Personally, I’d rather save time and cost behind the wheel.
But that’s just me.
Both fine communities.

Stymie Stymie
Jul '19

Always love when we use the term rural out here. Most farms there are for the touristo's.

Maybe exurban would be closer.

Really got to get to past 519 to come close to rural as I know it. Or maybe cross the Delaware.

I agree, LV nice except if doing 80.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Jul '19

Rt 80 is my main path in and I’m doing it now I live out near Belvidere, it’s rough but I gotta do what I gotta do! How are 206 and rt 10? Usually leave Bergen county around 3:30pm but sometimes get stuck at work late and 80 gets backed up, would either of those roads be any better?

Route 10 will be even worse. All of the lights and the constant backup snarls before Route 80 does. Route 206 depends on what part, but it won't help any when it comes to getting from/to Bergen Co. A lot depends on what part of Bergen. If it's the far north, your best road is 287. But what ever route you use now, it's not going to change by moving a little further east. You'd have to move a lot closer to get any alternatives.

I’m not suggesting taking Rte 10
Just giving the Succasunna community a geographical perspective.

Stymie Stymie
Jul '19

You would hop on Rte 80 in Landing ( if you chose)

Stymie Stymie
Jul '19

You have the ability to take all back roads to get to and from major highways through randolph roxbury flanders to long valley. My wife commutes to Fairfield every day going back roads from long valley and leaves around 630am takes a little over an hour.

Forcefed4door Forcefed4door
Jul '19

much longer to get to Rt.80 from LV,all things being equal(?) I would choose Mt. Olive because of shorter commute.

hammer hammer
Jul '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.