Car engine powerwashing

Looks like one of our car's engine is leaking oil .the mechanic said in order to find the leak we have to take it to get the engine power washed. does anybody know of a power washing service for car engines around Ledgewood.?

Stressed out. Stressed out.
Jun '19

Get a new mechanic. That is a half-assed answer.

A leak should be relatively isolated enough for him to spot clean and locate pretty easily.

If it is bad enough that it can't be compartmentalized in scope- it is bad enough that even after you clean it- just driving it back to him will spray all over the place and make a mess negating the whole cleaning process.

Either an amateur or lazy...

I second the motion, you need another mechanic.

Roywhite Roywhite
Jun '19

Get a new mechanic. On some fords there are exhaust sensors that will short out if they get wet. If you power wash the engine or motor the water runs down the back and shorts them out causing problems.

I am now curious, was this a Hackettstown based shop that gave you this advice? Engines are designed for a certain amount of moisture, but depending on the age of the vehicle, condition of the wiring, a power wash can open up a totally another can of worms, as mentioned above.

What shop or at the least, what city are they located in?

The Rhyme Animal The Rhyme Animal
Jun '19

Motors are designed to get wet other wise you couldn't drive in the rain or thru puddles. i power wash mine all the time the only thin iv had it affect is the plug wires then I replace and good to go but that is on a GM Fords are another story.just my opion

Chuck Chuck
Jun '19

It was on 46 in Ledgewood. Thanks for the advice.

stressed out stressed out
Jun '19

Chuck- if you notice, many newer cars have belly pans and splash guards in different areas.

A power washer is a whole different beast than rain or puddles.

Not saying one can't be used, but like anything else- with care and knowledge of where and how much.

If it is a CRV or Accord, it may be under an extended manufacturer's warranty. It could be the pistons.

maja2 maja2
Jun '19

Same issue with Toyota. Not sure of warranty.

http://www.toyotaproblems.com/excessive-oil-consumption/

You likely won't "see" the leak.

maja2 maja2
Jun '19

Stressed Out since your already on 46 in Ledgewood. Go to Automotive Magic on Berkshire Valley Road if you turn off 46 he is on your right as you get to the railroad tracks Shawn has been my mechanic for over 20 years. He will be able to figure out exactly what is going on with your vehicle.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Jun '19

This is too much. Power washing an engine bay is ok so long as you put plastic around wiring harnesses, sensors, air intake, etc. but the fact that you went to a mechanic for an oil leak and he told YOU to do that is certainly a head-scratcher. I agree with the other posters. Find a new mechanic. Try valley auto on Main Street.

Consigliere
Jun '19

There are different fluorescent dyes made that can be added to various engine fluids that can trace a leak from its source. Just about any technician (mechanic) worth their salt knows this. All they need is a black light and to add the dye. The source of the leak normally becomes readily apparent. If not, then perhaps there is enough stuff on there to require a cleaning. You have to be careful not to screw up the engine control electronics since there are so many computer modules in vehicles nowadays.

Here's what Scotty Kilmer has to say on the subject of cleaning your car's engine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eFMaG4CXOM

I may not agree with everything he has to say all the time, but he's definitely a character and I agree with him (for the most part) on this one, based on my own years of experience.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jun '19

what kind of car are we talking about? Year, make and model.

not sack
Jun '19

But the guy a couple cans of brake cleaner if he's that cheaper so he can spray down the areas coated with oil. It'll leak the surface clean in seconds to locate where its coming from. I would highly advice against power washing the motor.

Forcefed4door Forcefed4door
Jun '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.