Where can I get homemade pierogies?

I know there's a church in Great Meadows that sometimes has pierogie sales, but I was wondering if anyone knows of another regular source.

Any local restaurants make homemade ones?

Asking for a friend! ;-)

Krakus Deli in P'burg. Great homemade pierogies and other Polish specialty items.

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '19

Thanks! Anything closer?

I heard there was place on rt 10 east of suburban furniture ( in that small strip mall) that sells great ones....not sure of the name of it.....sorry

Zabava 979-8998 in Independence. Give them a call
I know the church on 517 past M&M's sells them too.

I think Stony Hill at 15 North Road in Chester sells homemade pierogies in their farm market. They have a lot of their own things like meats, cheeses, baked goods, ice cream, etc.

NJMOM
Jun '19

Holy Cross Eastern Orthodox Church --- 909 Rt. 517 (right near M&M's)
They have a sign out front -- they sell pierogies every Sunday.

happiest girl
Jun '19

If you feel like dining out, there's Pierogies House in Morristown.

https://www.pierogieshouse.com/

Tracy Tracy
Jun '19

Nykuns I’m Great Meadows... They sell the homemade ones that the women make at the church..... They are delicious....

Havaclue Havaclue
Jun '19

Zuzanna's deli in Roxbury

http://www.zuzannasgourmet.com/

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Jun '19

The church across from the entrance to Towpath Apartments on High Street has a pierogies sale every Sunday. It is posted on their sign.

Robert J Rowe Robert J Rowe
Jun '19

@Tracy thank you for posting about that restaurant. I know where I will be this weekend!

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Jun '19

Thanks everyone! These are some great suggestions! Love to all my fellow foodies!

JrzyGirl88 ---
I was at the Morristown Pierogie House 3 weeks ago. You can order them fried or boiled ..... Heads up --- I got the large platter and asked if they could do half boiled and half fried and they did. Now I'm wondering if you can combine 2 different fillings on the large platter as well. They were good, the potato-cheese had a nice flavor but I still prefer my family's recipe. They also have vegan ones ... I guess I shoud post that on the vegan thread.

happiest girl
Jun '19

Thanks for the tip Happiest...

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Jun '19

UNLEASH the Krakus!!!

Calico, I am getting closer. After two failed attempts while passing by; I made a concerted effort after my root canal (i deserved it right?). Was too early, but now I know where they are.

Looked more deli restaurant than deli so I bolted and called back later. I coulda sworn my Grandmother answered as this lady reached through the phone and pinched my cheeks saying, “sure, we got the kielbasa, good eats tonight!

Think you said World’s best kielbasa; I grew up in Buffalo and Mr Suwinski, the butcher, was a family friend. How could I forget what the best tastes like. Another mystery to solve along with the Zep. How could I forget

I will return..........soon. And I can tell you are spot on. It’s the real McCoy fer sure

StrangerDanger StrangerDanger
Jun '19

The last time I was in Nykun's on 46 in Great Meadows the refrigerators in the back had bags of homemade pierogies for sale with all kinds of fillings. I tried a few different ones and they were all very good.

MtBethel MtBethel
Jun '19

SD - We affectionately refer to it as the Crack House. The pierogies are so good, you'll be hooked. The place has two separate sides, deli to the left and dining room to the right when you walk in.

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '19

Krakus in P'Burg!

magpie magpie
Jun '19

Not even close to the world's best kielbasa, but it's pretty good. The best can be found in Shenandoah, PA at Capitol Food Market.

Krakus definitely has amazing pierogi though. I think my favorite are the mushroom and sauerkraut but I've never had any that I didn't like.

ianimal ianimal
Jun '19

Zabava bar and restaurant in Independence.. 13 varieties

Denise Ziegler Denise Ziegler
Aug '19

I just had the Pierogie appetizer at Zabava's on Friday night since I liked it so much last time. This time I split it between Potato/Cheddar and Pulled Pork Pierogies. They serve some caramelized onions on the side as well as (of course) the sour cream. Not only were they awesome, but the Chef's Special of Pork Loin only got half eaten before I was too stuffed to continue, even though I wanted to.

My buddy went the same route, though only Potato/Cheddar Pierogies for his appetizer platter I believe. He only got half way through his order of Pelmeni after that (and he's somewhat on the large side and with a good appetite to boot). Our waitress was excellent as well, refilling the water without needing to be asked and checking on the quality of our meal as well as that we had everything we needed without asking when our mouths were full. They also had a CD of Polka tunes playing next to us in the background, which was great too!

They will make most Pierogies to order, as far as being boiled or fried (I prefer fried), but they will tell you that some of them can't really be fried without bursting open or otherwise ruining it, so a few are available boiled only.

I'm definitely eagerly awaiting the opening of the new "Home Made" Polish Restaurant too. If they're as good as Zabava's and open more days, then we have a nice double threat nearby and I won't have to head towards rt.715S of Rt 80 in PA to try another place I heard of out. Though if I'm in that area again I may just check them out anyway.

Phil D. Phil D.
Aug '19

Pierogi Fest at SteelStacks in Bethlehem, Saturday September 14th...

https://www.steelstacks.org/event/8136/pierogifest-presented-by-clubhouse-grille/

ianimal ianimal
Aug '19

Phil D - Going to Reeders for pierogies??? I have to say, I do have my doubts about that... ;-)

GC

Well, not just for pierogies. As that area (actually McMichael's, a bit further down 715 from Reeders) was starting to develop more back in the late 80's, early 90's my ex's brother had a house built out that way and I'd head out that way to visit once in a while, plus there were other sights and shops to check out in the general area. There were also quartz crystals to collect, which we found around the foundation of his house (loose in the soil).

I figured if I were out that far, I'd hit up "Babuni's Table" in Brodheadsville on Rt. 209 and perhaps hit the Polish Deli "Pocono Wedzonka", since it's highly rated too.

Phil D. Phil D.
Aug '19

By the way, the Polish-American Festival at the Shrine of Our Lady of Czestochowa in Doylestown, PA is Labor Day weekend and the weekend after!

http://polishamericanfestival.org/

There's the place to go and enjoy Polish entertainment, food, costumes, customs and dances as well as local wines, etc.!

When I used to live in Warminster, PA in the early 70's we'd drive up there for Sunday Mass at times. The Polish-American Veterans' Cemetery with the huge Kneeling Hussaria sculpture is quite moving and not to be missed.

Phil D. Phil D.
Aug '19

The new POLISH RESTAURANT opening up on Main St on September 8th (grand opening) will have many varieties of homemade perogies. They don't have a menu up yet, but look on the thread titled HOME MADE, the owners have commented a few times.

Laurel Laurel
Aug '19

There is a church in great Meadows on RT 46 that has fund raisers to sell them all the time. Right next to nkyons. But you have to order what you want. I think a fundraiser is going on now also

Donna Donna
Aug '19

Yes, that is the St Nicolas Ukranian Church, We make an abundance once a month so fresh or frozen they are available. You may call the church secretary, Eileen, to place an order or if you have any questions. Thank You!

Eileen's number is 908-689-2352
Thanks!

JP Kelly's...hands down best Pierogis.

foodie23! foodie23!
Aug '19

I'll be checking out the Polish-American Festival in Doylestown this weekend. Thanks for the heads-up, Phil D.

ianimal ianimal
Aug '19

Don’t forget Hinklefest 2019, 9-13 to 9-15. Best darned chicken any way you want it and Yeungling Brewery just down the road.... I have Hinkle in my blood, I am drawn to my peeps.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Aug '19

Followed by the Liederkranz Oktoberfest in Manheim, PA (near Lancaster) on September 20th through the 22nd... I love this time of year, lol.

ianimal ianimal
Aug '19

And you can Ozzy Osborne Experience at Penns Peak for Liederkranz to round out the day or the Journey Experience during Hinklefest. Ain't PA grand. If it wasn't for the drivers, I'd retire there :>)

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Aug '19

Nykun's Store in Great Meadows has frozen handmade pierogis in their freezer and they are delicious. Many varieties to choose from. And they are not from the Ukrainian Church next door. They come from a vendor who brings them in weekly or bi weekly. They are handmade. Try the mushroom. They are delicious.

Linda Bender Linda Bender
Oct '19

Linda,
Really! I always thought they were made by the people from the church next door.
I have not tried them yet. Do the bags have a complete ingredient list on them?

happiest girl
Oct '19

Pierogi Palace in RAHWAY..... Well worth the trip.
Places in Clifton, and Wallington don't even come close.

https://zmenu.com/pierogi-palace-rahway-online-menu/

If you don't mind the trip, word to be wize, is Call and order.
Don't go there 1/2 hour before your pick up time, because you WILL be told by the lady
that you are early, and they are not ready.

Check out the web site ( not theirs ) for their menu etc. that someone scanned.
The pierogi are the best ever. The dough is light and not thick and hard like lead.
We make our own, Hungarian recipe, and th

Embryodad Embryodad
Oct '19

Went to Krakus in Pburg today for the first time. VERY good pierogi. No complaints. Will be going back.

Some Guy (Art) Some Guy (Art)
Oct '19

In this area Zabava has without a doubt the best.

In Mount Bethel PA TK's Bar and Grill is by far the close second to Zabava.

PolishDork
Oct '19

Re: Where can I get homemade pierogies?

For anyone with a yearning for some pierogis I noticed St. Nicholas Ukrainian Catholic Church in Great Meadows is selling them in a few weeks on April 9th.

Yea, they’re prepping for that sale at the church. My grandmother helps make them for that sale

MakoMiller1984 MakoMiller1984
Mar '22

Does anyone want to learn the art of making homeade pierogis? Please join us if so from 3 to 6 on April 8th and/or 9 to 2 on April 9th. We all volunteer our time for this fundraiser and also to support the people of the Ukraine. St Nicolas Church, Great Meadows (by Nykuns Store) Any questions please email me. It's a fun time!
Thank you!

There's a great restaurant on Main Street in Hackettstown called "Homemade". They have really tasty perrogies and stuffed cabbage.

Hackresident Hackresident
Apr '22

Very very nice, Rose. Thanks! If I was in town,; I'd sure to be there.

Angela
Apr '22

If you're willing to drive, this place has the best pierogies. And you can go to Hot Grill while you're there.

Rayann Rayann
May '22

Rayann

I think you forgot the link, since we have no idea what or where, "this place" is. Thanks in advance if you can give us the name of the place and a link!

Phil D. Phil D.
May '22

St Nicolas Church in Great Meadows will be having our next pierogi sale on
December 17th, this is a fundraiser project. We will have potato and cheese or
sauerkraut. Pickup is 1 to 4 PM. If you would like to place an order you can message me or call 862-254-3463. We depend on all of you to make this function successful.
Please join us that morning if you would like to help pinch pierogis. We have a lot of fun
and enjoy lunch afterward. Thank you for you continued support

Rose

Contact bells mansion in Stanhope the best perogies ever.

Michigan Michigan
Dec '22

My neighbor has a new caregiver for an uncle. She came to Thanksgiving and brought pierogi's and stuffed cabbage she made. Holy smokes they were excellent! If I could speak her native Ukraine, I would have gushed. However the smile and third helping transcended language. LOL!

St Nicholos Church will have a pierogi fundraiser on 2/11 to benefit the people of the Ukraine. You can place an order with Rose 862-254-3463 Pick up is 1 to 3. Please support this worthy cause. Thank You!

At their Home may be a good place to start when trying to find Homemade anything, including Pierogies, I would think.

Just found this- might make the drive out there!

https://www.pierogieshouse.com/

Reviews are good.

A new Polish deli just opened in Netcong - I haven’t been there yet so I don’t know if their Pierogies are fresh or frozen.

Orzelek Polish Deli
57 Main Street, Netcong
973-527-3342

happiest girl
Aug '23

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Where can I get homemade pierogies?
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.