Bus accident, Liberty

Liberty Twp, NJ (Warren County) School bus accident, 129 Hope Rd FD & EMS on scene of an MVA , involving a loaded school bus, MCI for 21 patients, FD requesting additional BLS unit to the scene.
That just posted but apparently was about 4:30pm

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
May '19

Omg...I hope everyone will be ok.

Positive Positive
May '19

Are there any updates on this accident?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
May '19

It wasnt listed on the warren county first responders site

Bug3
May '19

Re: Bus accident, Liberty

They followed up and said no injuries, bus was rear-ended. Apparently they called for the squad because there were children aboard.

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
May '19

Seems pretty hard to hit a big yellow bus; can't imagine anything more important to miss. Hope the driver wasn't suffering medically before the accident.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
May '19

SD- School Bus RE accidents are very common, like any other vehicle on the road. Especially at RR crossings, sitting in traffic, waiting for the traffic light to turn, and sitting at a SS. Paying attention is all that is needed to avoid such an accident. No sense going into it, because we all know that.

auntiel auntiel
May '19

Still just amazing to me.

Then again, the other day I was leaving my health food store, McDonald's, turning left on Mountain. I looked left, nothing, looked right, nothing, and I proceeded. As I was half way in the lane, turned left and here he comes at 45mph having to swerve into the oncoming lane to miss me ---- and do so probably before knowing IF he could make it. Meanwhile, I am in the windshield, front bumper down, foot to the floor on the brake. Pure freakin luck he missed me. It was by inches, or a couple of feet at most.

Totally my fault, I know better, but just relaxed a bit. Between needing coffee and not being as flexible in the head swerve department as I used to be, I screwed up and, by rights, he should of had me. 45 and a blind side direct hit on a non moving object, and I would have been doing a 180 with my head slammed against the driver's window. Might have spilled my coffee too :>) Bad enough I quit my errands and drove home.

So, yes, I do get it. But that's still a big yellow object..... Be careful out there folks and take notice to change when you mess up but get away with it.

May '19

"that's still a big yellow object."

The A-pillars in many current cars can be a huge blind spot. I can easily see a bus (let alone a regular car) getting "lost" behind it at the right (or wrong) angle.

That, plus a very strange human brain that can fail to "see" something if you don't expect it to be there or the relative color/movement is somehow masked, is a potential recipe for disaster.

You've probably all seen this by now, but if not it's kind of fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGQmdoK_ZfY

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
May '19

I must be very focused because I got that right, Mark.

Tracy Tracy
May '19

Mark Mc, I've never seen that video before and it got me. After rewatching it's hard to believe I missed it. It seemed so obvious.

jrsemom jrsemom
May '19

I remember seeing that video for the first time years ago. As I was counting the passes, I thought to myself, WTF is that gorilla doing......

Calico696 Calico696
May '19

"It seemed so obvious."

Haha, it is when you're looking for it. I think it's just one way to explain why/how someone may not see a bus, if they are focused on something else happening nearby (other cars exiting a parking lot, traffic light patterns, etc).

"WTF is that gorilla doing"

This particular video adds a couple extra twists - the one player leaving the scene, and the curtain color changing from red to orange - just in case people were only looking for the gorilla! ;)

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
May '19

I thought I did so well, guessing 16 passes, but not realizing I didn’t see the gorilla, a player leaving and color changes of curtains.

Positive Positive
May '19

What gorilla? There was no gorilla in that movie.

Focus people.

May '19

"There was no gorilla in that movie."

Someone should edit it so the gorilla is driving a bus...

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
May '19

Better than us not seeing the monkey- guess what?

Monkeys can see and respond better than we can-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktkjUjcZid0

Mark, honest, that was not a gorilla.

StrangerDanger StrangerDanger
May '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.