Silicone Wedding Rings

My husband wants to replace his current wedding band with a silicone one for safety reasons at work. I say it's about time. LOL

We have researched several companies, Groove Life, Enso, Qalo etc.

I was hoping someone could share their experience good or bad. TIA

Calico696 Calico696
May '19

I just got a Enso one its ok just not as nice as I thought it would be. I got rose gold and its the same color as my skin, should have chose a better color I guess.

meee4 meee4
May '19

Re: Silicone Wedding Rings

I would go to Walmart and buy them there first for cheap... think they are back by the exercise section. Just to see if you like them. My wife and I have Qalo and we like them.

Booster90 Booster90
May '19

I think the ones at Walmart are golds gym brand

Booster90 Booster90
May '19

yeah but how do you get them engraved?

GreyHawk GreyHawk
May '19

Thanks for the comments. Will let you know how it turns out.

Calico696 Calico696
May '19

Hmmm, never knew such a thing. Thanks.

Snagged mine and ditched it decades ago. Probably should take it to the gold store....

StrangerDanger StrangerDanger
May '19

Why would u want a rubber ring?

Roywhite Roywhite
May '19

Roywhite, some jobs it is not safe to wear metal rings. Mechanics, emts, firefighters, contractors, etc.... if you get the ring caught on something you can deglove your finger or amputate it. All kinds of problems can arise with metal rings in certain jobs.

I had a silicone ring for a while, then it broke so I opted for a wedding band tattoo instead.

Jesse132 Jesse132
May '19

It's even more hazardous for lefties......

strangerdanger strangerdanger
May '19

To each their own. Thirty-four years on, my husband and I choose to remain without rings.

Courtney1
May '19

Ugh, reminds me of this linked story, shouldn’t play any sport with jewelry but this is a bit extreme.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paulo_Diogo
There are videos if you search...
Gold band for me, but never wear it.

Roywhite Roywhite
May '19

I got a rose gold enso ring. I love it! It’s so lightweight. My wedding ring finger changes sizes due to psoriatic arthritis and a cyst. My other ring almost had to be cut off. The enso ring doesn’t bother me. I got mine engraved too. My husband and will get his soon. He works as an engineer. He can get electrocuted at work wearing a regular ring.

Megan b Megan b
May '19

DeBeers does not like it when people wear rubber rings.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
May '19

WTF is this?!
The reason why wedding rings were made of gold was because that was the most precious metal. Precious metal for a precious ceremony sealing a lifelong commitment between a man and a woman forever. Silicone rings? Really? So a person can buy a crappy ring for twenty bucks at Walmart?! And that's okay?! (I heard the safety issue thing --FU)
Marriage is no longer a sacred thing. It blows my mind when I see how many people don't even bother to get married, and start popping out kids.(never mind the negative social impact on the children of having unmarried parents) ...
My husband uses his hands every day at work. He wears his golden wedding band because it means something!!!!!!!
I can't believe you want Silicon rings.
Cheap crappie rubber rings ... yeah, that represents commitment! (Sarcastic)
How insulting to the institution of marriage.OMG

What a load buying into the jewelry business BS. My wife and I are happily married, many years and plan on many more. Her ring irritated her finger from the metals added to gold. My was cut off before surgery and I never had it repaired. Our marriage is sacred and precious without wearing a ring. She is my best friend as I am hers, our love has seen us through each of us having serious life threatening illnesses. Love is in your heart and mind not in a gold ring. Your premise about sacred and precious doesn't even ring true with historic custom. See below:

Before coinage, gold rings were circulated as currency. By giving a gold ring to his bride, a man showed he trusted her with his property. Under Roman law, the ring was a sign of security, protecting the interests of the bride-to-be. In Elizabethan times, an interlocking set of three rings was used and worn during the engagement period by the bride, the groom and the witness at the wedding. The three rings would be placed on the bride's finger during the wedding ceremony. Diamond rings became popular in the 19th century.

Although nor required to validate marriage under a civil law, rings were required in 16th century by the Council of Trent. Circular shape symbolizes eternity

So if you gave you woman a $100 bill today it would be in the same custom as it was when giving gold rings began. The sacred and precious is a gold seller's story to sell you the most expensive ring he has. I like the idea of eternity as the meaning of the ring but sadly that has been lost to the jewelers.

"Marriage is no longer a sacred thing. It blows my mind when I see how many people don't even bother to get married, and start popping out kids"

Marriage has not been a sacred thing for the longest time, and it has nothing to do with the material a wedding band or ring is made of. You can buy a million dollar diamond for a woman and she can still be unfaithful, same goes for men with an expensive wedding band.
I have observed, just like you, plenty of young couples that are not getting married and having children. This makes very good financial sense, the small tax breaks you receive are not worth the potential pitfalls and benefits you can apply for by never being married. The young people are onto something that the older generation has not figured out yet, just like they don't know how to use all of the features on their cell phones. It's a new world that the older generation does not understand, mainly because they live under a totally different set of rules that no longer apply. Adapt or wither away.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
May '19

Mk I agree . The Eternal Vow should mean something, and be properly represented.

"Love is in your heart and mind not in a gold ring. Your premise about sacred and precious doesn't even ring true with historic custom."

Same with the historic custom of marriage. Two teenagers can be madly in love, it is real, it is in their hearts, yet they are not married. You do not have to nor need to be legally married to love someone with all of your heart.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
May '19

Properly represented is not in a ring. It is respect for one another, an undying will to be the best for each other, to befriend, to love, to support your love in all they do, and no ring will improve that or change that if the ring is missing. Love takes many forms and shapes in your life from mother, father, brother, sister, and close family members first. Love of other people and things will enter your life as you get older. No love strong enough to keep two people together forever does not need a ring for validation.

Saferingz are supposed to best.
https://www.saferingz.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjw5dnmBRACEiwAmMYGOQEA0BEOWWIRsXD_Dv4zpz9pnpIsXRzkahh_ISnZVsAfeYyGh9qbbxoChcwQAvD_BwE

Rachel A Rachel A
May '19

Keri - Pump the brakes for Pete's sake. The reason my husband wanted this ring was so he could still wear a ring. Wearing a wedding ring is very important to him. I can't tell you how many people, especially men, who are married and don't wear a ring at all. Many people have lost fingers due to rings, look it up. We know someone personally who lost his wedding ring finger.

That said, his Groove Life ring came yesterday and he loves it. He still plans to wear his other ring when not working.

Calico696 Calico696
May '19

I was a medic in the Army, and even though everyone was taught and repeatedly told not to wear their rings in the motor pool or in the field..they did did.

Even though we had warning signs with pictures- guys still lost fingers.

They would hop down off a truck or tank and the ring would catch on something and strip their finger right off the bone.

I don't wear my ring except special occasions. I work with my hands every day.

I can’t believe this is even an argument, on second thought maybe I can....

Positive Positive
May '19

Keri, I would rather keep my finger in one piece than risk it over a metal ring. People want silicone rings to still show that they are married but not risk the safety issues of a metal ring. And, people’s marriages are their own business, not yours or anybody else's. My husband hardly ever wears his wedding ring. Do I care? No, not at all because I trust him 100%. I chose to get a wedding band tattoo because of my line of work. It’s permanent, just like my marriage. So, let people do what they want to with their ring finger, it’s their choice, not anyone else’s.

Jesse132 Jesse132
May '19

My husband lost his wedding ring on our honeymoon 32 years ago.... We are still married.. In his line of work , he couldn’t wear a ring... No worries..... Just because you wear a ring on your finger doesn’t really mean anything... I know a lot of people who do, and they have broken their marriage vows... So in a nut shell.. Wear a wedding ring, don’t wear one.. Or wear any kind of ring you want....

Havaclue Havaclue
May '19

In my current job I often work with a lathe, drill press and occasionally a milling machine. If I was still married or if I marry again, I'm pretty sure that my spouse would prefer that I retained all my fingers, rather than be short-sighted and insist that I wear one at all times, no matter the cost to life or limb. When I worked for a toolmaking company and was married, I wore my gold band at all times until I started work. Isn't that what the small pocket on the right side of your jeans is for? That, or your spare key, that is;-)

If I was still rock climbing at the time I was married, I'd have taken it off for that too. It's also easy to wear it on a chain around your neck, but that can also lead to its own set of safety issues, as one can imagine! When I worked in the Security Products industry, I was involved in making and testing products that often could be shorted out when troubleshooting or testing active electronics, so at that time, the ring went in the pocket during work hours. Gold, Platinum and Silver are nice conductors of electricity (hence gold-plated contacts and connectors).

Silicone rings allow someone who may otherwise be unable to wear a ring due to their work environment (some places have rules against metal rings and necklaces, etc.) to be able to show their commitment to their spouse without violating work rules or losing a finger, ruining expensive equipment or in the extreme case, their life!

The same goes for the ring tattoo, though that's quite a bit more painful to get. The ring is supposed to be a symbol of eternity and whether or not it's made of gold, or a gold one is used for "safer" times of life and a silicone or other type is used for unsafe times (including perhaps walking in NYC), I don't think it matters. Also as a Minister in the ULC, I believe they have also addressed this issue in their email newsletter and can see no issues with silicone rings. It's the jewelry industry and DeBeers that have brainwashed people through their advertising that make it somewhat more "socially unacceptable" or that unless you spend $$$ your spouse or "spouse to be" isn't valuable to you.

That all said, if I am lucky enough to find another person I'd wish to share my life with, I'd be fully ok with buying her a precious or semi-precious stoned ring, though if diamond, it would have to be an estate ring or non-conflict diamond, such as from

www.brilliantearth.com

As a former Geology student and rock, mineral and fossil collector, and sometimes gold and sapphire/ruby panner, I have a great appreciation for gold and gemstones, so decorating the lovely ring finger of someone I value highly with things I also enjoy is all the better.

Phil D. Phil D.
May '19

Keri, are you Jewish or Christian? If do, why are you so fiercely protecting a pagan symbol and custom? The pagan Romans invented the idea of the wedding ring. The Roman Empire fell thousands of years ago. Why should you push the practices of a long dead, failed pagan empire on others? If it makes you happy, fine; do it. But ask yourself why it bothers you so much that other people live their lives differently from you ? That sounds like a personal problem That should be addressed.

JohnDi JohnDi
May '19

Marriage is no longer a Sacrament? News to me..................

Doctor
May '19

It makes me laugh when I see people spend thousands on a diamond ring. That's the only way to buy it too, it has to be thousands. Because if you don't spend thousands, well apparently you 'didn't spend'. I mean hey if you to can throw that kind of scratch around good for you. I've watched MANY guys scrape up cash to buy one.. all the while neglecting other bills. Or buying a house and putting next no nothing down on it and paying PMI insurance...but hey they got that ring!! Rings are just a status symbol nothing more...nothing wrong with a silicone ring or a gold band

Itiswhatitis
May '19

Marriage was never a sacrament in Judaism. So how did it suddenly become one for Xians? They need to stop making up things out of whole cloth.

JohnDi JohnDi
May '19

What. Suddenly for Christians? Wow. any phobias bro?

Doctor
May '19

Yes, suddenly. Judaism was around four thousand years someone suddenly decided to create a new religion.

And marriage was never a sacrament in the original, true religion. Ask a rabbi.

JohnDi JohnDi
May '19

Lol Seeing that a sacrament by it’s very definition means ordained by Christ - no the Jews didn’t hold marriage to be a sacrament.

https://www.umanitoba.ca/faculties/arts/anthropology/tutor/case_studies/hebrews/marriage.html

Skippy Skippy
May '19

JohnDi..."the original true religion" .You sound Christian-phobic. I will not respond to your trolling.

Doctor
May '19

JohnDi

You should check your facts. Yes, the "People of Israel" have been around for around 4,000 years, but Judaism as a religion was codified somewhere between 500BCE to 100BCE. The Tanakh was completed approximately 450BCE. Zoroastrianism is arguably older and mentions a flood, etc., things which appear in common with the Abrahamic religions and which may have been the source of some of their common concepts, such as heaven and hell, etc.

Many of the world's other major religions came into being during the same "Axial Age" and could all lay claim to being the "True Religion", as could Christianity, which, if you're a believer, states that a humanized part of the one God was born as a Jew and preached that it was the Spirit of the Law that was more important than the Letter of the Law, which is something that a number of sects of Judaism agree with. The Sabbath may be violated if Life and Limb are endangered, for example. The idea was that the former Israelites (now Jews) had gone off track and needed to be brought back into the fold in a way different from the Tower of Babel or Sodom and Gomorrah lessons. Jesus was supposed to bring forth a new covenant to replace or at least modify most of the old one, with the Ten Commandments being the core and Him leaving the Disciples with the Eleventh which was to treat all the way they would treat him. This is a fact apparently lost on people like the Westboro Baptist Church who select from the "Old" Testament to justify their hate, when they should be living their lives according to the later covenant.

So in essence, you can try to claim that Judaism itself was around from 4,000BCE, but that's just not true. That's like the common myth that the Israelites built the pyramids as slaves, which was used in the movie "The Ten Commandments":

https://www.usnews.com/science/articles/2010/01/12/egypt-new-find-shows-slaves-didnt-build-pyramids

Yes, Judaism as a codified religion was around for 200 - 500 years before Christianity's start, but religions were established as a moral compass to guide people and get them to work and cooperate together with as little strife as possible. Some sects of Judaism don't even require a belief in God, as long as one holds true to the rules of Judaism itself.

Marriage at that point in Judaism may not have been a sacrament, but it is said that Jesus was at a wedding where they did not have enough wine, which, as Christians believe, water was transmuted by Him into wine. Therefore it goes to reason that weddings themselves were celebrated in some manner by Jews in that time period.

Phil D. Phil D.
May '19

Lol, Calico are you taking notes with all this information to help you pick put the best ring? I wish my husband would get one with his job as well. I find his safety more precious than any metal. Maybe with the better choices out there I can convince him!

Mel81 Mel81
May '19

Mel81

Lol indeed;-) The ironic thing is that Calico herself has stated in the past that she's not a believer in organized religion or God, if I remember correctly. That said, those views don't affect both her and Horatio from being very serious about their marriage vows/promises/contract with one another, which is an awesome thing in my book! I hope they find one that's more than satisfactory and safe for him to wear!

Phil D. Phil D.
May '19

Phil - 100% correct on all counts. I mentioned above, but it probably got trampled under foot, that he chose a ring from Groove Life. He's been wearing it for a few days now and likes it very much. The only thing is that he has to get used to how light it is. His other ring is Tungsten carbide, so quite a weight difference. He keeps saying he feels like he lost his ring and he panics for a second.

Calico696 Calico696
May '19

Calico

I know the feeling since I used to wear a gold one, and as I mentioned had to take it off for the various jobs I had. Sometimes i'd be in the car on the way home and start panicking that I may have lost it, but then realized it was just in that jeans pocket. Tungsten Carbide is actually much harder and durable than gold, but silicone will definitely take some getting used to. After a while I'm sure he'll be able to sense that he has that one on, despite its light weight. I'm glad for you both that he was able to find one that he likes and that works well for him!

Phil D. Phil D.
May '19

Well, that’s news to Jewish people and certainly to every rabbi I have ever k own. As far as codifying religion, you were talking about nations laws. That has nothing to do with God or Jewish people. If Gentiles didn’t accept Jews until last year, are you really going to try to tell me that Judaism is one-year-old? Foolish. As for the first Messiah known as Jesus celebrating a wedding, celebrating something doesn’t mean it’s a sacrament. People celebrate birthdays and super bowls but that does not make them sacraments .

JohnDi JohnDi
May '19

JohnDi

You're really putting words into my mouth. I never said marriage was a sacrament to the Jews, only that it was celebrated by them. I also didn't say that it was whether or not Judaism was recognized by someone else that made it a religion. You apparently don't understand the concept of codification. It's not Nation's laws in general, but the transformation of the Hebrews/Israelites as a People into the religion of Judaism through the High Rabbis' "codification" of their beliefs into the Tanakh.

Perhaps the beginning of this World History article will explain it better than I have:

http://apworldipedia.com/index.php?title=Key_Concept_2.1_The_Development_and_Codification_of_Religious_and_Cultural_Traditions

Also, as I said, you stated that Judaism was already around 4,000 years before "someone decided to create a new religion", which is patently untrue. The Hebrews, as a People date perhaps back about 4,000 years, but the reality is that they'd only been around 2,000 years when the foretold Messiah came, which started Christianity in general, each of the later sects came as their religions were codified by their leaders. Of course those that remained Jews are still waiting for their Messiah, though the Lubavitch Sect believed that Rabbi Schneerson was the Messiah and continues on, even without his physical presence.

I don't know what sect of Judaism you follow, but the Rabbis I've discussed things with before did not see things the way you're claiming. I've spoken with many members of the clergy of a number of different religions, since I've been interested in comparative religion since I was a teen.

Archeological and DNA evidence also counter some of the claims of both the age of the Hebrew People themselves and their claim to have existed and been enslaved in Egypt. All evidence points to them having being Canaanites, likely an oppressed group of them and there seems to be no evidence of any 40 year search in the desert either, but rather that being an early method used for a Cultural and Ethnic Unification Identity.

By the way, the Egyptians "invented" the idea of a wedding ring, NOT the Romans. Modern Christians adopted it in the middle ages. The idea of the ring was that the circle represented eternity and woven rings were the first ones, rather than precious metal rings. It was also worn on the left hand "ring finger" because the Egyptians believed that finger had a direct path to the heart. Just because an idea or tradition may have originated with a Pagan or culture with multiple deities doesn't mean that a monotheistic religion can't or shouldn't share the same tradition or idea, especially if it's a meaningful one.

As far as being "the original, true religion", that's your opinion and belief and you're welcome to it. I can see at least one reason why a number of people don't believe in organized religion anymore, especially when many people have the same religion-centric attitude that you do and are disparaging of those following other paths. As I mentioned before Zoroastrianism is arguably older than Judaism and the Tanakh and a number of other religions' Holy Texts may be based of of theirs. Perhaps I should have listened to what Doctor said earlier and not fed you, but oh well... .

Phil D. Phil D.
May '19

Go back far enough and people believed in a sun god and other such nonsense.

Animal_Lover_Always
May '19

There's no Sun God?!?

ianimal ianimal
May '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.