Reasonable Painting Rates

I need to have one of my bedrooms painted and I’m trying to decide...do it myself or hire someone?

It needs to have some spackling done (I already did that part but it may need touch ups) and then painted. What would be considered an average price for a 12x12 room?

Jersey Girl Jersey Girl
Apr '19

It depends on if you want the ceiling painted as well as any or all of the base, window and door trim. For a quality job and you supply all materials the cost for the labor could be anywhere from $300 on the low side to $600 plus on the high side. In addition it also depends on how much furniture is there. Moving a ton of stuff will increase cost as well.

Also 1 or 2 coats. A low bid might be for 1 coat where a high bid is 2 coats. 1 coat is usually never enough. 2 coats for a good job. IMO, painting is always a DIY job. Easy to do and tough to mess up.

not sack
Apr '19

I agree, no such thing as a one coat paint job in my opinion. Also, any spackle work needs to be primed first as well.

I hired a very nice man to spackle and paint a room in my house. His price was very reasonable. He is not a painter, just a guy looking to earn some extra money. As I said, a very nice man, but one who did a terrible job. I am very non-confrontational and did not complain. I've learned to live with it. Just a word of advice, if you hire someone, be careful. Not everyone knows how to paint properly.

Parental Unit Parental Unit
Apr '19

Parental Unit- I have heard that kind of statement a hundred times. You are absolutely correct. Painting requires a certain skill. Everyone *thinks* they can paint.

My advice … Only use Benjamin Moore Paint … Simply the best paint !!!

LibertyThinker LibertyThinker
Apr '19

That’s the other thing good quality paint in itself is very expensive.

Weedwacker Weedwacker
Apr '19

Ben Moore has always been my number one choice, forever. However I did a bunch of work with a guy who only used Sherwin Williams- ProMar line. While I am true blue to BM I must say the ProMar is a very good paint as well.

My dad is a retired interior painter. Excellent skills and demeanor. If you would like, message me and I can give you his number.

Isn't Bear paint (the best one) from Home Depot a good paint?

Hackresident Hackresident
Apr '19

Brand of paint is like a ford vs Chevy conversation. If you believe consumer reports then yes Behr is highly rated.

not sack
Apr '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.