Chicken Salad/ Tuna Salad

Since I always get good food advice here, I’m looking for a recipe for Tuna Salad & Chicken Salad. I don’t eat either so asking here. I have to bring a pound of each to a function. I could look up s recipe online and google it myself, but I’m looking for advice from anyone that makes it themselves and gets good reviews on it. I’m also open to buying it already made and embellishing it. Thanks everyone.

Bessie Bessie
Apr '19

Hayek's in Newton makes great chicken and tuna salad.

happycamper happycamper
Apr '19

Baked chicken breast, cubed (try 3 breasts)
celery stalks, 4, chopped
Red onion, 2 slices, chopped

Put in food processor

Add Mayo (4-6 tbsp)
Season with salt, pepper and dill

Chill in a metal bowl in refrigerator

The food processor makes the mixture moist so add the mayo a tablespoon at a time til it reaches the consistency you like.

You can do the same with tuna.

Walking Girl Walking Girl
Apr '19

Is this for sandwiches?

Peggy C Peggy C
Apr '19

Hi, Bessie.
I found that Ken's extra heavy mayo works wonders for my chicken salad.
I also almost always use mostly all dark meat (thighs) for mine.

Thinly-chopped celery is the main part of my salads, as well as obviously the mayo, S&P, and spices as well.

I admit to at times having been wild and then putting in a light amount of paprika, which adds depth of flavor.

Think about cutting the crust(s) off the bread that you are using; to make it look more attractive on the serving platter.
Cut into quarters; top off each one with an olive or maraschino cherry :)

Hope this helps :)

Tuna salad for sandwiches

(2) about 7 oz cans of tuna drained
2 diced small celery stalks
1/4 diced small onion
2 hard boiled eggs diced up
About 2-3 tablespoons sweet pickle relish drained (eyeball it)
About 2 tablespoons shredded carrots
About 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
About 1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Mix all above then add about 1 tablespoon of real mayonnaise at a time until it looks right. Don't add too much too fast or it will get runny.

Peggy C Peggy C
Apr '19

Shop Rite has very good home made chicken salad. Recommend you try that first.

hammer hammer
Apr '19

Shoprite adds an unbelievable amount of garlic. Just beware.

Walking Girl Walking Girl
Apr '19

Tuna at Weiss on the salad bar is not too bad...

Acl76 Acl76
Apr '19

call tonys on 57 he is helpful

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Apr '19

This is very yummy and different
3/4 cup of white raisins soaked in 1/2 cup white wine for at least an hour
4 chicken breasts chopped (3 cups) - I poach them
1/2 plus cups chopped chutney
1/2 cups peanuts or almonds
1 1/2 cup mayo

Combine and chill

4catmom 4catmom
Apr '19

Sounds delish 4cat!

Luca(Work) Luca(Work)
Apr '19

We used to make a variation of that years ago 4catmom. The difference was we used grapes cut in half with the chutney and walnuts. It was very tasty and had great texture.

We got the recipe from a gentleman named Guam (sp?). He owned the Cheese Block in Succasunna a hundred years ago long before Greg took it over.

Putting raisins in chicken salad is right up there with putting cat turds in fettuccine Alfredo... (-;

ianimal ianimal
Apr '19

Geez Iman......quit sugarcoating those sentiments and tell us what you really think....and you the adventurous chef too.....

They all sound great, especially in the warmer weather where I like a chilled tuna/chicken salad on lettuce. Very NYC Waldorf...

I like to grab some French from SR bakery, slice on very thin, toast it crisp, go open faced, for that bruschetta look n feel. Usually have a few toppers, will add these to the list.

StrangerDanger StrangerDanger
Apr '19

I make my tuna salad with a little bit of Italian dressing (not the creamy kind) OR a splash of red wine vinegar. Mayo of course, onions, celery and a bit of dill.

Chicken salad the same as above, but no red wine vinegar.

Positive Positive
Apr '19

Oh, to make it fancy, some sliced eggs on top sprinkled with paprika and some fresh parsley.

One more thing, I recommend the tuna in the pouch. Tastes fresher than the canned, no draining and I’ve never come across a bone. I’ve come across bones way too often from the canned tuna.

Positive Positive
Apr '19

Lately I've been subbing in some greek yogurt with a squirt of dijon mustard for part of the mayo. Lightens the salad but the taste and creaminess are still good.

hktownie hktownie
Apr '19

I like chopped dates in mine

Janster Janster
Apr '19

Craisins and nuts

htownguy htownguy
Apr '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.