Bea McNallys

As a local long time resident I live on the same block with this establishment.. At least 3-4 nights a week I deal with intoxicated people fighting outside at 2am and cutting through my property leaving beer cans or bottles.. As of recent I had 3 males urinating outside my home on there way back to Centenary College... When I opened my door they told me they wanted to fight and started spitting at me.. I have young children in my home.. I called Hackettstown Police and was told they were already at the bar dealing with the problem..

I understand that this is a college town and young people especially drinking will go a little over the top.. But must of these people are not local residents and do not care.. I have documented most of this the best I can...

I'm only venting here because I feel like enough is enough and I have no other place to turn.. Calls to Bea McNallys go unanswered or with a free offer of a meal.. I would never set foot in there no matter what..

Washington Street Washington Street
Apr '19

or with a free offer of a meal

the monkeys come out of the sleeve

The original owners and the chef tried like hell to make it a success. They made sizable investments on interior restoration. They offered very good meals. Staffed very professionally.

Now ?

It's become nothing more than a party bar. When they initially opened, two things stood out...... half the area was a bar and the place was filled with TV monitors. It was immediately doomed as a restaurant.

The cuisine rapidly dropped in quality as chefs left when they saw the same fate.

Bea's makes a ton of money off their bar and lottery sales. A cash cow for the owners. I've been told that a former dining area now has a pool table as well.

Soon I expect them to lose their license and it will lie empty for a year as the gorgeous building becomes a target for vandals. Not good. The owners and management needs to reassess the business and either change it or sell it.

fire251 fire251
Apr '19

sure ...close a successful business that supports the town...….makes perfect sense !

Residents taxes can go up to offset the tax loss..

Call the school, take pictures , send them to the police and the school, they will have to deal with it .

Not clear why you would buy next door to a commercial facility and not expect to have "instances"..

steven steven
Apr '19

It would be funny to put in a motion detector that turns on floodlights and a lawn sprinkler system....

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Apr '19

Oh JR, that’s awesome! Then add a surveillance camera to record the whole thing!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Apr '19

From amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Orbit-62100-Activated-Sprinkler-Detection/dp/B009F1R0GC/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=Motion+sprinkler&qid=1555671565&s=gateway&sr=8-3

ConcertGoer
Apr '19

Use the sprinkler as a delivery system for the bear spray? Brilliant!!!

ianimal ianimal
Apr '19

"Use the sprinkler as a delivery system for the bear spray? Brilliant!!!"

That would be HILARIOUS, if it were possible lol.

NJ would probably consider that "assault", because you know, they're commies like that.

Ideally you could feed the sprinklers through something that would color the water with dye... kinds like how you attach a hose to the lawn fertilizer bottles, the stuff in the bottle mixes with the water? Like how they put dye packs in with cash bundles to mark the perps.

Apr '19

I believe that size/strength bear spray is illegal in NJ.

YOU will be charged with a weapons offense if it’s used (on a person) - or even if they find it in your possession.

I had a can when I lived there, but it was on my mountain bike, mostly for bears.

Would I use it on a person if it was self-defense? Sure.
But peeing on your lawn isn’t the same as being attacked, and if you go outside to “initiate” contact that results in an altercation, again I’m sure NJ would be glad to arrest you.

Not saying I agree (you should be able to defend all your property, not just the inside of your house), just saying how it is so you are aware/prepared.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Apr '19

"Not clear why you would buy next door to a commercial facility and not expect to have "instances".." -steven

Nice, blame the resident/home-owner. Unbelievable.

Joe Friday Joe Friday
Apr '19

Sprinkle some "raw" marijuana in the parking lot and our local cops will flock to the scene with cuffs and guns a blaze. It's really the only thing that motivates them.

Seriously, call the police and tell them "cough, drug deals, cough" are going down in the parking lot. They'll come and maybe bring back up.

Put up some cameras, put up some signs, problem will probably subside, or you will have evidence to pursue criminal/civil charges. Cops love to follow a mystery with a solid lead.

Amazing they are trouble. In my 30+ years here, I hardly ever see a Centenary student, much less an unruly one. So sad they are not better neighbors.

Bodes ill for those Historic district homes next to the pending Quackchek. Too many people. Residential and commercial don’t mix, need a buffer zone that isn’t someone’s home.

StrangerDanger StrangerDanger
Apr '19

Just wondering how some think this is funny - I'd talk to the mayor about it - perhaps a security guard can be required during night hours............

4catmom 4catmom
Apr '19

"Not clear why you would buy next door to a commercial facility and not expect to have "instances".." -steven

Nice, blame the resident/home-owner. Unbelievable."

I don't think Steven was blaming the homeowner, but when shopping for a house you do have a responsibility to be aware of the neighborhood you're buying into and anticipate potential pros and cons of living near a bar. Also, how is the restaurant responsible for the actions of a few individual jerks? It's easy to say what a business should or shouldn't do when you are not the one running it. They have the right space to focus on the bar business and their food sucks. It's making $$$ so what reason do they have to change their business model?

Washington Street - That royally sucks and it is a true shame you have to deal with such rude people. I hope you can find a reasonable solution! Motion activated sprinklers are not a bad idea....

somechik somechik
Apr '19

Seriously, while Bea's pays it's taxes to the town, this place has offered it's residents absolutely zero and wouldn't be missed if it burned down. The food has always been atrocious and it's turned into a gin mill for college kids for a college that pays zero taxes to the town.

This is a prime example why the BID in this town is clueless and has no foresight into what a small town needs. Does anyone over the age of 30 actually go here? Pretty building but what a damn shame to have another place to pass over. Once again Hackettstown residents forced to take their money and spend it in another town.

Good job to all that placed Bea's on the map I guess the liquor license was too valuable to pass up.

Maybe she bought BEFORE it was Beas. It has only been Beas for less than 10 years. Before that, it was a (quieter) Charlie Browns.

On a similar note, I bought BEFORE the whole school relocation because I actually like the idea of walking home from school on nice days. Now some of my children will be going to one elementary, and one at another. No more walking. Should I have not bought in a busing district? Or was I here first and have a right to be upset?

Localmom
Apr '19

All I know is one of my great accomplishments was to have the bus stop at my driveway. Bad news was it took till senior year in college to get the darned thing moved ;-).

Be careful what you ask for.

Stuff happens.

God has a miraculous sense of humor. Of course, miracles still happen ;-)

Apr '19

Everyone has a right to be upset at whatever they want to. We can't predict the future or control everything about the environment we live in and it's your choice how you want to channel that energy and react to outside forces.

The OP is choosing to take action by calling the restaurant, police, and calling public attention to the clientele Bea's is attracting on a public forum. For Bea's to attract a classier, more mature clientele, they would need to change their late night entertainment schedule and get an excellent chef who can make them a good foodie spot. All I am saying is that as a private business they can do whatever they want and while it's disappointing people can't behave like adults and leave others alone it's tough to control individuals, especially when they are drunk, young, and wound up. So, I'm not sure what the solution is. The people who aren't into that type of bar scene and want good food already don't go there, so the people keeping the lights on and spending $$$ at Bea's are largely the younger people who are into that and want to come out to see a band at 10pm when everyone else is cozy in their pj's.

somechik somechik
Apr '19

Lets face it, Beas is pretty awful in my opinion. (please don't attack me, I'm aware some like it)

They have poor food, extremely poor service, it is dirty, and the management just doesn't care.

I have been there when the college crowd is there and just shook my head at what was tolerated. Urinating on the building, in the parking lot, fights, hearing glass breaking, (beer bottles ?) and just plain BS that I don't think that any restaurant would tolerate.

I would never go there again.

Bobbob Bobbob
Apr '19

The town should require them to have qualified security, not some roided up bouncers, as a condition when their liquor license is up for renewal. At least for Thursday through Saturday . As for centenary students, I know someone who lives on Moore street, the behavior of the students walking back to campus from the bar at 2 am is NOT good!

Deviljet
Apr '19

I agree 1000 percent Somechik. I wish I was able to move, but that is not in our cards right now. That is our choice and we will just have to deal with it. The OP is doing everything right. Even if she wanted to sell, it maybe hard. I just don't agree with those who say it is her fault for buying next to a bar.

Localmom
Apr '19

I live very close by to this place. I have been here when the place was empty. When it opened as Bea McNallys things were fine for the first couple years. Now its out of control. Thursday night's being the worst. I have seen the beer bottles, plastic cups,people puking people urinating and smoking weed. And i know its weed because i can smell it. Ive seen people drinking in there cars and tossing the empty hard liquor bottles away then going back in. Guess there charging too much for shots. Every morning early a woman comes and sweeps up the broken glass, beer bottles and other trash left behind. They spill out the front door and drink in the street. Ive seen there own security walk by patrons while there drinking and do nothing. Ive even heard one say your not going to get in trouble by me the cops you will. Yes i live that close. Try reporting your situation to the abc enforcement bureau. Maybe the Hackettstown police should move there headquarters on the upper level of the building being there always there now.

Fed up too Fed up too
Apr '19

Call the police each time there is a need. However I've been told by the police that they are dispatched and or patrol there almost every night. It is well known by the police that there is a growing problem in the parking lot as well as the neighborhood. I strongly encourage folks to attend the next council meeting, next Thursday the 25th 7:00PM and voice your concerns. The Mayor and council will do what they can to help restore a sense of law and order.

Just out of curiosity, but how much of that can be tied to Centenary? Most of the college population is probably under 21 I would assume. If there is a large college population, how much underage drinking is going on there then?

thomasnj thomasnj
Apr '19

We used to live on the other side of the fence from the parking lot... Absolute nightmare... People in our yard all the time peeing or thinking they could cut through from Washington to Bea's. Bottles tossed over the fence coming literal inches from hitting our vehicles, garbage tossed over the fence and the NOISE! Especially Thursdays omg we'd be woken approx 1:30am until about 3am...no one cared... People sitting on our front steps smoking and drinking on their way too and from the bar.. Complaints to the bar went unanswered or hung up on. So glad to be out of that apartment. Oh and FYI... We were in that apartment well prior to Bea's opening.

Weebiekins Weebiekins
Apr '19

Bea's opened in 2013, a couple weeks before St. Patrick's day.

Bea's is not an asset to the town. I'm sure they contribute to taxes, but the food and service are terrible and it attracts all the wrong people and way too much attention from HPD. You're going to get the occasional problem with any bar, but Bea's seems to attract every lowlife in every nearby county.

If you read the police blotter, there's incidents almost nightly at Bea's. Knife fights, fist fights, arguments, drunks pissing in the bushes, noise, and idiots who try to bust their friends out of a police cruiser. I will say this, I rarely see a local in the police blotters, they're all from out of town.

File a complaint EVERY time with HPD. But don't lie and make up crimes - that's filing a false police report. Get a security camera. Just in case. Even it if doesn't help catch a criminal, it will help an insurance claim should something happen to your car or house.

Maybe post the security camera images of drunk morons on here?

Thomasnj, that is a very irresponsible assumption, and would also have nothing to do with Bea's. If there is underage drinking, it's going to occur in the dorms and houses where someone over 21 can bring in alcohol, not in a bar that cards people. Also, Centenary has a lot of transfer students who are in the 20 and up age range and a seemingly large population of mid-20s students.

alpha1beta alpha1beta
Apr '19

"I'm sure they contribute to taxes"

Businesses have no impact on taxes, only property owners do.

This sounds like a nightmare. I agree with Greg about attending the town council meeting and stating your complaint publicly. Good luck.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '19

My daughter won’t go back there. She said the place is way out of control. She goes to Marleys instead, she said it’s a much calmer atmosphere.

Positive Positive
Apr '19

Lol, the Hackettstown cops actually doing something about a problem ANYWHERE?!? That would be a first

So basically we've distilled this down to college students being the problem. Which they are. I had a house on my street next to the college that was rented to college kids one year...total nightmare. Noise and kids yelling in the street, beer bottles left on the lawns, cops there all the time early in the morning. It's time for these "adults" to start acting like it, instead of entitled spoiled brats. They are guests in this town. Act accordingly.

Eperot Eperot
Apr '19

we do live in a college town, and if the only problem is a Bee's that great. When you watch the news with all these other towns, having so problems at dorms, fraternity's. I know the police are called to the dorms also but, it could be worse. We should be thank full they are not running around the streets.

No I don't have any children at the college

SAAK - they are running around the streets though. Reread the original post and other posters who said they lived near Bea's and had problems with drunks trespassing and vandalizing property. Just bc something isn't at its worst yet doesn't mean we should let it slide - that's how things get that bad! We live in a pretty quiet and nice area and would like to keep it that way.

Somechick1 Somechick1
Apr '19

Couple more weeks they will be gone - not worth getting your ass kicked over.

Sell your house and move off Grand or Moore St and chalk it up to a learning experience - pretty sure that's how the heard migrates back to the college.

All im saying is them kids are away from home and acting like they dont have no damn sense. You can't blame mcnallys for kids pissing on your lawn, talk to the damn school and maybe they can do something about it Or if it was me beat a kids ass here and there, if you want to act grown you can get a grown ass beaten.

Matthew B. Matthew B.
Apr '19

Just a heads up Washington street, you may have more pissers during the week. McNallys is now doing a “Beat the Clock” beer prices starting at 8pm-.50 a beer and goes up every .50 till 1am on Tuesdays.

Parkerwalk
Apr '19

I wouldn't want to be a home owner in that area for the what has been going on but if anyone is trying to look for the silver lining, at least they are not drinking and driving!

Mel81 Mel81
Apr '19

"Sell your house and move" "chalk it up to a learning experience" ?? People should have to sell their house and move due to a relatively new business that can't control its clientele? I think it should be the other way around, the business owner, the police and to some extent the college need to take responsibility! When Centenary students are arrested in town, which is quite frequent, they should be identified as such, not just identified by their hometown, although it is usually pretty easy to figure out.

Deviljet
Apr '19

Devil jet is right. It’s not time to move. It’s time to get bear spray and sprinklers. Catch some of the amorous patrons in the parking lot. Catch some blowing lines and doing shots outside. Call the police. It’s time to take an active role. Not move away.

Herbert Nerbert Herbert Nerbert
Apr '19

Start going to council meetings and voice your concerns. Request security or police Thur-Sat.
Mayor and council approve the renewal of liquor licenses and may put restrictions and special enforcement items on it in order to renew.

Nutty Nutty
Apr '19

Word on the street is the fire inspector just shut mcnallys down. Anyone hear anything?

GrandAve GrandAve
Jun '19

Just drove past there. Tape across the entrance with some sort of notice hanging from it. Could t read it from the street, but they’re clearly closed.

Monty Monty
Jun '19

They are closed Mondays for the summer.

kb2755 kb2755
Jun '19

is bea mcnallys selling.i saw on craigslist in the business section that there was a place in Hackettstown selling for 949k.holds 170 people and has a big bar.could not think of any other place that sounds like that.

Here is the ad. The name listed is a restaurant broker.

$995,000

BIG MONEYMAKER !!! BUSY MAIN STREET LOCATION, TURNKEY BUSINESS, 6,000 SF, 170 SEATS, BIG BAR, 40 SEAT PATIO, GROSS SALES OF $50K PER WEEK, PERFECT FOR THE EXPERIENCED RESTAURANT PRO*****CALL RON AT*****908-672-3126

The ad has been up for months.

Sounds like Mattars, maybe. They have a big patio, Bea McNally‘s doesn’t.

Pcisnt4me Pcisnt4me
Jun '19

Can't be Bea's. That's 109 Grand Ave, with tiny 'patio'. Sounds more like Mama's, because of the patio seating. There's nothing listed though in Hackettstown on the man's actual website, so it could be bait and switch. Who the heck knows.

DogDayAfternoon
Jun '19

DDA - I was thinking the same thing. Bait and switch.

It IS Craiglist, Greg. The only thing is how will they fit the restaurant in the trunk of their car and smell the rag? ;)

DogDayAfternoon
Jun '19

Mama's is not 6000 sq ft.

happiest girl
Jun '19

Mattars for "busy Main Street location"??? Doesn't sound right at all.

How about the Brazilian steak house? It has both the patio, the big bar, and the Main Street location.

Bea McNallys is the only one that could be 6000 sq ft. The front porch could 'technically' be the patio. You could certainly put tables there.

happiest girl
Jun '19

Could it be The Tavern in Great Meadows?

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Jun '19

I think it's a sham.
Bea's doesn't have 40 seats on the porch.
There are no listings matching it, so I'm with Greg.

Besides if it was Bea's they would list 'plenty of cop action' and 'public urination hot spot.'

DogDayAfternoon
Jun '19

Look on craigslist --- if you put in restaurant in hackettstown it comes up, also with a map with hackettstown circled.

happiest girl
Jun '19

happiest girl, that doesn't make it 'true'. I've answered actual ads for jobs over the years where they had the company and logo and so on and were fakes. I learned to contact companies directly after that to ask if they actually placed ads. You'd be surprised how easy it is to set up crap on Craigslist and look legit. Anyone can circle the town on the Craigslist map and so on.

DogDayAfternoon
Jun '19

50 grand a week is not enough to make a profit. the turnkey aspect would make it a bit more profitable depending on overhead, but with today's rising costs it would provide a slim profit margin.

chef peder chef peder
Jun '19

"Catch some of the amorous patrons in the parking lot. "

Ahhh, those were the days. Real passion, no fear, just pure enjoyment.

God bless those kids.....

callitlikeIseeit callitlikeIseeit
Jun '19

The ad says busy MAIN STREET location. It’s everything is capitalized, it could be either Main Street or main street. The route that my tours on those technically qualify as a main road Bc it leads to 80.

Pcisnt4me Pcisnt4me
Jun '19

The phone number is tied to Ronald Vannelli, NJ Restaurant business broker in North Brunswick.

https://www.businessbroker.net/brokers/ronald-vannelli-north-brunswick-new-jersey-6624.aspx

Someone call the number...

Roywhite Roywhite
Jun '19

"They are closed Mondays for the summer."

Passed by there (Bea McNally's, not this alleged Craigslist property) again this morning on my way to work. As I posted yesterday evening, there is red tape strung across the top of the stairs on Grand Street. There are three sheets of paper hanging from the tape. From my car I can't read the sheets on either side, but the one in the center says "DO NOT ENTER".

It may be true that they're closed on Mondays during the summer (I don't know), but I'm pretty sure this is something altogether different.

Monty Monty
Jun '19

it is only temporary.

Jim L Jim L
Jun '19

I'm glad to read this. It's not my favorite restaurant in town, but I'd hate to see them go under.

Monty Monty
Jun '19

Jim L, can you elaborate?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jun '19

no, sorry not at this time. I only share info on this site that has been discussed at public meetings.

Jim L Jim L
Jun '19

Has anyone seen how many of the police blotters include incidents at this location??

I would love to see it replaced with a better establishment.

ProgressiveMom ProgressiveMom
Jun '19

I agree. Seems like it's half the blotter. Nothing but trouble and mediocre food at best.

DogDayAfternoon
Jun '19

I'm glad they came in to save and restore a historic building in Hackettstown, and it's always good to have more food choices in town. Far from half the blotter, if two drunken knuckleheads want to fight in the parking lot, it doesn't affect me. It's a bar, it's going to happen.

Denis Denis
Jun '19

could it be David's country Inn?

I know the location that the ad refers to. It is not Bea's. Anyone who would like to know PM me. The price is now $899,000 by the way. Business and liquor license, not the building.

the food is awful there....

Waldo Waldo
Jun '19

The old 'Bar 46' is my guess.

I'd say the food is mediocre there, not awful. But I'd much rather there be a mediocre pub in that space than have the building sitting there empty. Even if that means putting up with an occasional police incident there. And BTW, I live close enough that I can see most of the building from my bedroom window. It's not a public nuisance, as some would seem to imply.

Monty Monty
Jun '19

Here’s a copy of the ad: https://newjersey.craigslist.org/bfs/d/hackettstown-restaurant-bar-liqlic/6905780122.html

There’s a Mansfield in south Jersey. Sometimes the maps don’t match the listing, just the person placing the ad, like a broker, in this case. Nothing, but the map, indicates Hackettstown (except for the link). Hmmm...The mystery continues. I’m not calling. Any volunteers?

Guilty-Remnant Guilty-Remnant
Jun '19

No mystery. I know the business that is for sale. PM for info

I commend you, Greg for not being a blabbermouth on here.
I'm sure once you tell someone, they'll come back on and say it, though.

DogDayAfternoon
Jun '19

LOL I hope not. The person I spoke with asked me to keep it "sort of" quiet.

The hackettstown police are basically useless when it comes to anything helpful. They probably rake in plenty of money handing out countless tickets to all these drunk college kids anyway.

Homosapien Homosapien
Jun '19

Ssh, we’re selling and we don’t want anyone to know more than they need to know at the exact right time that they need to know only what they need to know.

You know what I mean?

Jun '19

Most likely taphouse, 38-40 seat patio, large bar, lots of seats.

I agree I think it’s taphouse ^

Michael Michael
Jun '19

Oh man, is this gonna bring up “what is h-town, what is mansfield” again. Or where does Main Street end? On no..

Jun '19

I hope nothing happens to (changes) Taphouse. We LOVE that place, and are there alot. While I love James on Main and Pandan Room, Taphouse is my favorite restaurant in town. They make great food and great cocktails.

Jun '19

Thanks for the offer, to PM you,Greg. The forum is a lot more fun and suspenseful, though. I love reading all the “guesses”. I think we should start a little wager going. As soon as I figure odds, I’ll start taking everyone’s money..LOL!
JR..I just received a coupon, in a mail coupon pack. Hopefully it’s an indication that it’s not Taphouse. We are yet to try that place.

Jun '19

Guilty-Remnant

Taphouse makes some very decent burgers, that is if you're into them.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jun '19

Love em! Thanks Phil.

Jun '19

Taphouse's bar pies (pizza) are also good.

Actually, I've never had a bad meal there.

Jun '19

I am a big fan of Tap House. Hope it’s not them.

Hot under the collar
Jun '19

It's time for the owner of Bea Mcnally's to sell & get out. He is not nice to the public or his employees, has no clue on how to run a great restaurant. Take a look at the building as you drive by. Weeds everywhere, the cement parking stops disintegrating all over the place or out of place, bushes over grown, the roof leaks when it rains inside, sign falling apart, roof literally falling apart (look up) & siding filthy dirty. The entire place needs an overhaul & restart. Please sell to someone who cares.

HackettstownFan HackettstownFan
Jun '19

Could it be Czig Meister?

Jun '19

Reggie Voter has the same thoughts I did, but since it mentioned restaurant with liquor license, I changed my mind since it only has the brewer's license and they can't serve food there.

That led me to think of the Churrascaria Paladar. My 2nd choice being David's Country Inn.

I haven't had issues the couple of times that I went to Bea's, but then it was more about hanging with my friends/coworkers. The couple of times I ordered food it wasn't bad, just not really much to speak of. It was adequate, but didn't stand out.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jun '19

I do want to say, re: Bea's.... we had given up on it. A few weeks ago, some friends came into town because they wanted to go to Czig, and we met them there, then we decided to go eat... we tried Marley's, but the wait was too long (and this was on a sunday night!). So we RELUCTANTLY went to Bea's... the place was empty. No surprise.

However, I WAS pleasantly surprised by the new (to me) cocktail menu, as well as some new food editions. The cocktails and food were the best I have had there in a very long while. IDK if they have new management or a new chef or what (or WHEN, since we hadn't been there in a log time), but it was MUCH better than it had been in the past.

Still no TapHouse tho.

Jun '19

Tap House (burgers and thin crust pizza) and Mattar's are our favorites here. Marley's is fun and we'll even hit Applebee's - but Bea's is just a place for a beer or to see a band. The food isn't (or wasn't if JR is correct) any good. Although now if it's closed, makes one wonder if it was a health code violation or a liquor license issue?

Jun '19

Taphouse is one of the better places to eat. I have never had a bad meal or experience there.

I'm a big fan.

Bobbob Bobbob
Jun '19

Today, the signs in the front of Bea's say to use the side entrance. Just drove by.

Somechick1 Somechick1
Jun '19

JLambo where are the town meeting minutes?

HTMama3 HTMama3
Jun '19

HTmama3-The meeting minuets for town council and other committees are available on the town website.

...in Word format only apparently. So if you don't have Office, you might have to download one of the many free Word emulators.

Jun '19

True.

What the hell is a meeting minuet! LOL I believe I meant minutes. Although the definition of a minuet is a slow, stately ballroom dance. I suppose it could apply at times!

Yes, by all means let me add another program I need only to read the town's website because they and Reggie Voter think the user of the website must meet what the town puts out, rather than the town meeting the general needs of the public at large and making them available in more than one format.

That's the only thing I'll miss about the backwater of the Borough of Hopatcong which puts their info out in pdf format. Apparently Hackettstown's too sophisticated and highbrow for that and has to output their info in a format that I have no need for, despite my years of weblogging and history research, etc. But that's ok, Reggie Voter can keep intimating I'm a Luddite or country hick since I'd prefer things in pdf format, even though I've been working with computers since High School in 1972 with punch tape, punch cards, etc.

Maybe I'm moving back into the wrong community with parts of it too stuck up for my taste I've worked in various areas of the customer service industry for years as well. It never hurts to make information more easily available. Pdf simply is more universal to begin with, at least in my apparently unsophisticated mind. Apparently I'll be forced to DL a "program of bloat" that I don't need or use anywhere else, just to read part of the town's website. Thanks so much, I guess I should squeal in delight at this opportunity.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jun '19

Greg

In the case of many towns, "Minuet" is what they usually do in the "closed sessions" that aren't open to public discussion or when members of the Town Council are flippant with the general Public stating that they know what's best for the town and will broker no discourse on the matters at hand insofar as public discussion or admitting that the public should be heard and not just seen.

By virtue of their election they have been elevated to the level of "Dancing Gods" that needn't answer to the public at large in terms of sewer contracts, privatization of the garbage pick up and the various abuses that IMHO the Borough of Hopatcong (which I'm leaving) in years past has pushed on the people, including casting a deciding vote for an incapacitated Council Member.

Funny enough though, that despite all that, they inform the public via pdf, rather than a mix of doc and pdf (as Hackettstown, the place I've missed and am returning to uses) so they (Hopatcong) can easier let the public know they're being screwed over, although their 6 month or so delay at doing so let the people who couldn't make the meeting wonder in suspense at how they'd recently been screwed over, that is, unless they visited Town Hall when open and saw the typed copy on the bulletin board. I'll have to see how the Council meetings go here.

Despite the website I don't think I ever found as much "minuetting" (sp?) going on here as has gone on there, though I'm sure opinions on that may vary in terms of some people's input on the CVS deal, etc.

Of course that's all my backwoods take on the matter, you know IMHO and all that.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jun '19

Phil, omg you're knickers seem knotted. What word processing package does not accept word docs? Thought that was table stakes for any package? Or just use this: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/doc-viewer/9n69kfjds28z?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Besides, I want them to convert it to ppt's with encapsulated readers to reduce verbiage because I like tight, bullet points, versus long-winded verbose treatise-level tomes filled with the pomposity of elite words. Brief, yeah, that's my mantra all righty.

If H-town was really cool, they would add: "there's a link for that....." just like folks do for the pdf's to avoid customers conniption constipation.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Jun '19

This town is far from perfect but it's hard to bust on them for putting the minutes out in a universal format that can be read with freeware. Two long winded rants plus the previous posts about it?

Jun '19

Says Strangerdanger, the KING of long winded nonsensical posts.

Johnnyrotten Johnnyrotten
Jun '19

Not a fan. Very poor service and food is only ok at best. Shocked management and or ownership has addressed the issue

Awesome Awesome
Jun '19

Can't say I ever remember a post on here from Johnnyrotten- but he must lurk enough to call out SD! Made me laugh.

Self deprecating humor. Only the pure of heart can understand ;-)

It’s not long winded that’s the issue; it’s the very s l o w r e a d e r s.

Jun '19

As an FYI, we had dinner at Bea’s tonight and it was quite good. So good, in fact, that we asked our waitress if there was a new chef. She said there’s a lot of new staff, including herself. Anyway, the fish and chips were meatier and the batter was lighter than it used to be, and my wife said her salmon was excellent. At one point I heard a woman at the next table tell her waitress to please tell the kitchen that her food was delicious. Service was also more attentive than ever before.

I won’t claim that it’s great, because it’s not. But it was *very* much improved over what it used to be. Definitely going back into our rotation.

Monty Monty
Sep '19

Name change coming...

Interesting.... (just posted to their FB page)

"Due to some customers excessive behavior recently, we have decided to close at 10pm on Thursday nights until further notice. If and when we decide to reopen we promise it will be a safer and more calm atmosphere for everyone!"

Dec '19

Seems like a good idea. It appears that place is like the Wild West there at times.

Excessive behavior is only permitted on Friday nights now...

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Dec '19

What bad goes down on Thursday nites- as opposed to Wednesday or Monday?

Stymie Stymie
Dec '19

Thursday nights are probably when Centenary students are out in force, mixin' it up with the "townies", lol.

ianimal ianimal
Dec '19

Weird.
Hatfields and McCoys type of deal?
Eh, those kids....

Stymie Stymie
Dec '19

Re: Bea McNallys

If it's that bad then hire this guy....

Metsman Metsman
Dec '19

They decided to close on Thursday nights because the college kids went home on break. They will reopen on Friday nights once the Spring semester starts in late January/early February

Hot under the collar
Dec '19

Lets get some Texas!

robertrobs robertrobs
Dec '19

Road House...

Blackcat Blackcat
Dec '19

Pain don’t hurt

Roywhite Roywhite
Dec '19

"Always be Nice, until it's time to not be nice." One of my favorite quotes of all time!

Phil D. Phil D.
Dec '19

That movie gets such a bad rap (it IS cheesy), but I love Sam Elliot, and I always find it a guilty pleasure when I run across it on tv...

"damn that hurts, don't it?"

Dec '19

Hot under the collar, your statement is the direct opposite of what was posted on their FB page:
"Due to some customers excessive behavior recently, we have decided to close at 10pm on Thursday nights until further notice. If and when we decide to reopen we promise it will be a safer and more calm atmosphere for everyone!"
Are you aware of something they aren't? lol

Joe Friday Joe Friday
Dec '19

What I am saying is Bea’s is not bring a good neighbor. They are not deciding to close on Thursday’s because they have a problem. Thursday night is the biggest night for college students to go out and drink. The college is on a break between Fall and Spring semester so there are no college age kids to go out on Thursday Night. So to save money they will close on Thursday Nights until the Spring Semester starts.

Hot under the collar
Dec '19

Can’t doubt that’s part of the equation as well as some repeated rowdiness. Heck, who doesn’t blow some steam at semester’s end. Hopefully not over the line.

Sometimes though, people just come to get rowdy and townie/campus territories are prime fodder for that. Wouldn’t doubt even out of towners coming to play ala Good Will Hunting. I used to hate the three story country college bars; too much altitude for throwing stuff. Good time to close, to chill some of that.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Dec '19

Well the last incident involved 2 24-year-olds from Mt Arlington/Lake Hopatcong.

Jim L Jim L
Dec '19

So two grown men that don't know how to behave in public. And maybe part of the problem is that bartenders are not being responsible and are serving clearly intoxicated individuals.

Metsman Metsman
Dec '19

If anyone is interested, saw an ad on Craigslist looking for NY Eve bouncer from 9 to 2 am. Pays 30 an hour it says. I would think they'd need more than one! They could use this all the time.

DogDayAfternoon
Dec '19

DogDayAfternoon

Maybe they don't need a bouncer, or another bouncer, since I have no idea if they have any at all, but a "cooler", definitely a "cooler".

Phil D. Phil D.
Dec '19

Are they still open?

Friendly Mcface Friendly Mcface
Jun '20

They are painting the restaurant.

Didn't the owner from Long Valley Pub & Brewery & OMG Burger buy this?

Hackresident Hackresident
Jun '20

Beas is under new ownership and is currently undergoing extensive remodeling.

If the owner of OMG Burger bought this place it’s further doomed.

Downtown Pete Downtown Pete
Jun '20

Opening day is today, 10/27 & the chef is Ellias from Ellias's restaurant in Columbia. He's a great chef so at least we know the food will be better than before.

Good to hear l. He is known as a quality chef for sure.
I gather the name will remain? I thought they would have totally rebranded.

Ellia’s was fantastic. I wish them luck!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Oct '20

Always wanted to try Ellia's, never wanted to try Bea's. Now it's reversed!

Best Luck, can't wait. Hope they have curbside.

Oct '20

Good chef and I think the old Charlie Brown's manager is back. I have high hopes again for Bea's. Good luck to them all.

DogDayAfternoon
Oct '20

We always loved Elias. We were very sad to hear it when they announced their closing. We haven't been to Bea's in years, might be time to try it again.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '20

My husband & I tried it last night. Food was good; no problems with the service (we sat at the bar & the bartender used to work there under the old ownership) & the place had a good crowd.

Menu is slightly different than what is posted online. I've attached a picture of it. Only strange thing was my cheeseburger came with cabbage slaw on it that was not advertised on the menu - I scraped it off. We liked it; we'll go back & I hadn't been back to Bea's since 2014!

Are they honoring Bea gift cards?

Jim KIng
Oct '20

That is funny that they didn't say in advance since I imagine many has issue with coleslaw for oh so many reasons.

It is a primary ingredient of the Southern Burger, or "Southern Style," my version includes chili, mustard, pickles, tomato fried (no coating) onions, and slaw. Really, the slaw is there for the texture and the mayo --- so, basically mayo/ketchup/mustard with chili being the ketchup. Love em, very messy. A Charlotte fav.

Oct '20

Seven of us - 4 siblings and 3 spouses had dinner at Bea's last night. We asked for a private room, and they gave us one. We got there and were told, "The manager said to tell you it's cold in there." Uh...turn the heat up? The hallway outside was warm, so we opened the doors. It was comfortable. The music was loud. We had to ask a few times for it to be lowered, and that got taken care of, too.

Service was terrific.
The food was great!
Apps include Irish Reuben Rolls (*excellent*), sweet chili wings (very good), and French Onion Soup. I didn't have it, but it looked pretty good. Could have used more cheese.
Dinners: strip steak was excellent and really large. Another had meatloaf which was kind of like a Wellington - in a puffed pastry. She raved about it. 2 had steak sandwiches and said they were great. 1 had a reuben and loved it. We forget what the 7th meal was.
Initially, they had brought me a steak sandwich instead the strip steak. They corrected it and got it to me in reasonable time - and we found out today it wasn't on the bill. Good for them for doing that. Much appreciated.

The menu is huge. I always thought they should do a small menu and nail it then expand, but last night's dinner was really good. We'll be back, though probably not indoors at any restaurants for the time beings. We'll get takeout, though.

Hats off to them, and best of luck!

4of4
Nov '20

Thank you for your review.

I have only been there once- a few years ago with a buddy at the bar- and they couldn't give good service with just filling beer, lackluster apps and an entree.

But maybe if a couple more positive reviews come back - I will take my wife there for a night.

I'm so glad the new ownership and new management is doing so well. We're definitely trying this week, because my neighbor gave it raves. Hope it lasts!

DogDayAfternoon
Nov '20

Sad to hear it.

Loved their potato salad. Anybody have a recipe they approximates it?

D-ManPV D-ManPV
Nov '20

D-Man, I think you meant to post on the Piggy's thread.

DogDayAfternoon
Nov '20

I'm glad it's under new management/ownership. I hope they can find long term consistency in both quality food and service.

IMO, As far as the food, anything is an improvement over the 'old' Bea's. Especially in the last 4-5 years. Food was great when they first opened. Then something changed dramatically and the food quality went downhill rapidly.

I wish the new owners tremendous success and hopefully they can learn from the previous owners shortcomings.

safefoodguru
Nov '20

I'm glad to hear their food is substantially better than it used to be. Maybe my husband and I will try it again soon. good luck to the new management!

honestyseasy honestyseasy
Nov '20

Do they have curbside, anyone try it?

Nov '20

My wife and I had our first-ever encounter with Impossible Burgers last night, takeout from Bea's. Very good. The fries were pretty wilt-y by the time we got home, which is par for the course with takeout, but they were still very tasty. We're glad to have Bea's back, and looking forward to trying other menu items.

Monty Monty
Nov '20

We'll be back. Finally went. It's a great improvement. Took the fries home, but learned to keep packages open so there is no condensation - but we throw in air fryer a minute or two to rewarm. The service was very nice. If it keeps up quality, they will do great.

DogDayAfternoon
Nov '20

Thanks for the take out info. Is it curbside or take out? I prefer curbsides where they just put it in the trunk and off I go!!!

Nov '20

I don't see why they wouldn't do curbside as I am sure there are many others who want the same.

Went 3 times so far. Vast improvement with food, place is clean, owner very professional and friendly, and the waitstaff are young but have done a good job.

One issue: the Bartenders need to be faster and more attentive. Each visit we waited too long for our drinks and refills, including 1 visit sitting at the bar, where even trying to pay the tab took almost 15 minutes where only maybe 6 other patrons were there.

Overall good experiences though.

Tom D
Nov '20

Dog Day thanks for the french fry info but am more interested in the food you had, ie portion size, taste etc

eapos eapos
Nov '20

Uh, sorry, eapos. ;) I had Impossible Burger (which I love) and it was very good! The fries were good (and crisp). My friend had a burger, which I think was the Angus one - ordered and came out medium, so they were super happy. The drinks were good. Server was friendly, which makes a nice difference to me. Took home those fries, though. I was full, so that is a great sign, too! Next time - getting dessert!!!

DogDayAfternoon
Nov '20

Do they have outdoor seating?

Hatcherymom
Nov '20

HM -Yes.

Buck Hillstar
Nov '20

Are they honoring Bea McNally gift cards? Anybody know?

Jim KIng
Nov '20

I'll take a review from anyone that had the Vegetarian Irish Stew. It's made with "Marmite" ..... never had that and don't know what to expect!!

happiest girl
Nov '20

Marmite is delicious!

Marmite (/ˈmɑːrmaɪt/ MAR-myte) is a food spread made from yeast extract invented by German scientist Justus von Liebig and originally made in the United Kingdom. It is a by-product of beer brewing and is produced by Anglo-Dutch company Unilever.

I eat it plain on crackers with butter or buttered toast. I bet it would be delicious in stews

Weebiekins Weebiekins
Nov '20

Weebiekins — where did you buy it?

happiest girl
Nov '20

You can get it on amazon but it really is not an american taste

Bug3
Nov '20

Its like sucking on a bouillon cube

Bug3
Nov '20

What is “an American taste”?
America is a melting pot.

happiest girl
Nov '20

@happiest You can get it at Wilbur's in Belvidere, The Pie Store in Montclair and usually at Sally Lund's in Chester. If you're going to try it, I suggest starting with the small jar incase it is not to your liking... But then, I'll gladly take it off your hands Looool! Jk!

Weebiekins Weebiekins
Nov '20

It’s not to anyone’s taste. It is either loved or hated around the world. No “meh” on this one. It’s that kind if taste. Takes a brave man to put it in a stew! Gonna need a review for that one ;-)

Nov '20

Weebiekins, thanks!
Don’t worry, if I don’t like it I already made an arrangement ..... Santa put a star on your chimney.
:)

happiest girl
Nov '20

Went there tonight, sat by the bar at a table. fried calamari was excellent mains were a Reuben and the meatloaf, all very good. will definitely go back

Had Enough Had Enough
Nov '20

So glad there is another option in town for dining! I would never go to this place prior to the way it was run & the food.

We went to Bea's last night. The chicken pot pie and shepherd's pie were both very good. The service was very slow and inattentive.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '20

That sucks & you can't even sit at the bar. I like eating at the bar since I can easily get the bartender's attention for things easier than at a table.

No matter how good food is- bad service always leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I'll wait for more reviews before going...

Good food is the key. The service will catch up. They just opened.

Indie Indie
Nov '20

I'd give them a little breathing room. They just opened and are hard up for staff.. You can have a strong management team, but if all your staff is inexperienced, you need time to build them up. This one will make it through whatever bad winter we have. They have the cash to hold over. Give em time it'll come around.

On the bar seating. I think it's just time to face facts. There will be no bar seating until the spring. We had our chance to turn this around, but that didn't happen.

I gotta say, and not to sound mean, but this place will be around when this is all over, but many of your other favorites won't. It's time to go to those places we want to survive... You know like your favorite sit down places, because if we don't.. Come April they probably won't be around.

Ser positivo Ser positivo
Nov '20

Luca - I agree. We always eat at the bar when we are able too. Much better service regarding drink refills etc.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '20

Ate here today. I got the Jameson meatloaf... It's basically like a beef wellington with pastry around it. It was amazing. I'll be going back.

Metsman Metsman
Nov '20

What is “an American taste”?

Baseball, Apple Pie, Chevrolet.

dodgebaaall dodgebaaall
Nov '20

It really sounds like they have found what it takes!!! At this time. Go figure!

Congrats and see you soon; you’re next on my list! For meatloaf. Go figure again!

Nov '20

"What is “an American taste”?

Baseball, Apple Pie, Chevrolet."

It's only considered that due to the influence of advertising agencies who figured it was a patriotic way to try to get people to buy the vehicles that were made the way they told us America wanted them, not how Americans actually needed or wanted them. Part of why we were starting to lose ground in car sales to Japanese companies like Datsun, Toyota, Honda and Subaru. The Japanese saw our market was right for smaller, more economical cars, due to the rapidly rising price of gas and the oil embargo. Chevy, in the meantime responded with the patriotic "propaganda" and the Vega, which was replaced by the Chevette by the time of the commercial posted below.

https://history.state.gov/milestones/1969-1976/oil-embargo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYXfdnhh2Mo

Ironically, ONLY Chevrolet is uniquely American, although even that's arguable, since its co-founder Louis Chevrolet was a Swiss immigrant who was a mechanic and race car driver. None of the other items were actually invented here, but were also "patriotic" constructs that were adopted here and became popularly widespread.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Chevrolet

Anyway, back to the main part of the post. Thanks for everyone's input about the food, service, etc. We'll have to put it on our list or places to try to see if they fit into our "rotation".

Phil D. Phil D.
Nov '20

ate there last night,would give the food and service a 8 out of 10

Went for dinner with a friend the other night..food was delicious and service was fast and friendly. Definately try it out!

Maryann Taylor Maryann Taylor
Nov '20

Finally got to stop in today at 4 PM. Was quiet so service was obviously spot on. Octopus, pork belly & Reuben apps were delicious! Also enjoyed fish & chips & the Reuben. Did hear that chef is out & some menu changes will happen. Highly recommended & happy to add another to the stellar eateries in H'town!

Alamuche Alamuche
Dec '20

^ Chef out temporarily or permanently?

D-ManPV D-ManPV
Dec '20

Sounded like permanently out...

Alamuche Alamuche
Dec '20

Seriously?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Dec '20

Yes it's true - the chef's last day was Dec 23rd............

Wow, this place just can not get a break :>(

Dec '20

WOW. Bea’s has had about 10+ chefs in 5 years. I don’t know why they didn’t fully rename and revamp the place - seems like it’s got a curse on it!

The important question is: where did the chef go ----- that's the place I want to try!

Dec '20

That stinks! The food was good when I was there. I hope it doesn't go downhill now.

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '20

What a shame, have been there 3 times in past 2 months. Food was good, place was empty so had plenty of social distancing

Had Enough Had Enough
Dec '20

My husband and I had dinner there recently and the food was GREAT! Sad to see not many customers due to the current COVID state rules. I highly recommend for people to try Bea's again :)

CurlygirlTracy CurlygirlTracy
Jan '21

Went again last night still very good still empty

Had Enough Had Enough
Jan '21

Looks like their sign board is empty. No cars around Bea's.

So open or closed? Whats the verdict?

Scott Scott
Jan '21

908 813 1900. Bea McNallys. I'd call them, they would know if their open. LOL

...even easier, your already on the internet go for a visit,
https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/Pub/Bea-McNallys-Irish-Pub-and-Catering-101174021801868/

Roywhite Roywhite
Jan '21

They are open and serving this tonight as a featured special

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKH-xCkh_Zr/?igshid=1gt82wb6w8jkp

For me I'm not running over.

Ser positivo Ser positivo
Jan '21

Everyone hear is on the internet already. Yet we all discuss topics and ask for suggestions and info that is readily available on the www.

However if u think every facebook page is up to date and announces closures in a timely manner you would be incorrect. I already went to Beas facebook page and the last post was from October.

Yes i could have called as SD mentioned. And if nobody answered i would still not have my answer. I also could have driven by. But i like to hear the scuttlebutt on HL and figured i would get a halfway decent, non sarcastic answer. Thought it might be easier than opening an investigation. I was only curious. I didnt really care that much. My wife doesnt like Beas.

Scott Scott
Jan '21

It is fun to see what answers get posted for sure!

As an aside, when I posted the number above I also called. The young lady was very nice. I explained to her that the word on the street was they were closed and perhaps update their social media as that is usually the first place folks look to for information I gather.. I guess she did not do that.

I also checked the link I posted. It was up to date, indicating their status and contained much more info than anyone on HL could provide.
Now if reviews, suggestions, opinions are what your looking for, I’m sure you’ll get it here.
Gave up on Bea’s at least 2 years ago, looking forward to going back.
Everyone, all together now...ENJOY!

Roywhite Roywhite
Jan '21

Bea's created a new Facebook page. What they should have done was posted on the old one about the new page. Place has always been deserted when we went.

@ Luca that is exactly what they did...

https://www.facebook.com/BeaMcNallys/

Bea McNally's Irish Pub
October 30,2020

Hello everyone!!! We have created new social media outlets where you can reach us more efficiently now that we are officially open again!

Here are the following links to our new pages!

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Bea-McNallys-Irish-Pub-and-Catering-101174021801868/...
See More

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Jan '21

IMHO Prices were high for mediocre food. Service was very good.

Weebiekins Weebiekins
Jan '21

Sign in front says" Coming Soon Grand Avenue Tavern " Another coat of lipstick for this old pig?

eapos eapos
May '23

I heard the owner discussing the rebranding on WRNJ the other day. It will be the Grand Avenue Tavern. The troubling part was he was still looking for a GM as he " didn't like the direction the prior GM was going. I take a dim view if they're underway with some sort of rebranding and don't yet have a GM to share in the new vision. In addition, he just mentioned different menu, new uniforms and that type of thing. They may be restaurant professionals but it surely sounded amateurish the way they were going about it. Who knows. We'll see....

The place never had any semblance of an Irish Pub vibe, at least not to me. Rebranding is LONG overdue.

ianimal ianimal
May '23

Meanwhile they are closing the White Birch. MD is last day.

Scott Scott
May '23

You're spot on, Greg. You need someone on board before you go about the changes. Hospitality is harder than people think it is.

DogDayAfternoon
May '23

White Birch is done? The already sold the Lakeside Tavern. Biting off more than they can chew...I still do not understand how they claim to be restaurateurs, when the management of the Brew Pub and others are atrocious. Lipstick on a pig indeed!

kelleo22 kelleo22
May '23

Owner operated restaurants are the best, or at least deeply involved such as James on Main or Inn at Glen Gardner.

Too many others are just something a group of people pool money to buy, and think just hiring people to run it will make it happen.

Too many places with consistently bad service, bad food = bad owners.

It all falls back on their ultimate responsibility to keep an eye on and make sure every link in the chain is doing their job.

In the case of the brew pub group- for me anyway- they have sullied their reputation enough that I won't go to any of their places, even the new ones to 'try out'.

Example- the Chester House. Nope. Great building, and if it was an unknown owner who bought it- sure I'd give it a shot. As soon as I saw they were involved...nope.

Draught House and Taphouse Grille both suck too.

Can't argue with most of Josh's points, but I'm going to jump in immediately to say I have never had a bad meal or bad service at Taphouse Grille. Some of the dishes are pricier than I think they should be, but the quality has been spot on across the board every time I've been there.

Monty Monty
May '23

I enjoy taphouse as well

Hadenough Hadenough
May '23

I've had several bad meals there unfortunately.

One of those things where you give it more than 'another shot'...and then say never again.

My wife received a cold steak- called the waiter over... they took it back...and returned with it 2 minutes later. They nuked it- no joke.

Myself on another occasion ordered nachos at the bar and received a massive pile of tomatoes instead.

If there was a nacho chip underneath- I'll never know because there was no point in looking- they would be sogging.

I don't know what was worse- the fact that someone made that mess- or that another person thought nothing of it- and served it to me.

I honestly don’t know how Bea’s survived as long as it did.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
May '23

Josh, where did you order your tomatoes appetizer from?

Let's not forget that the owners bought the Chesapeake Restaurant building YEARS ago. It changed names/restaurant ideas at least 5 times...all of which failed. The best was her namesake "Andrea's Kitchen" which looked like a Transylvania dining room.

kelleo22 kelleo22
May '23

Bea's made their money at the bar.

+1 Taphouse Grill has been great, altho I did notice after covid their portions and quality did seem to go down a little.

The Inn at Glen Gardener is nothing less than fantastic, always.

May '23

That’s a lot of beer and liquor just to pay the bills, GC!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
May '23

Chesapeake Tavern seems to be doing just fine, they aren't failing at all. They have been a success.

May '23

Chesapeake is not owned by the Brew Pub team anymore, it changed hands a while back and is currently owned by the group that owns St. Moritz in Sparta. That’s why it’s doing well now ;)

When none of their staff wants to work, and they fire their gm for sticking up for the employees so they don’t fall through the floor, your know they are not going to improve

Bhavik Bhavik
May '23

Been there once. Reminds me of an average Irish bar in Hoboken. This is how bars survive, they exist near a local town college. Nobody really cares about the food, just access to alcohol.

AlWainright
May '23

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.