Soundproofing

I have 3 small children. The oldest has autism the youngest isn’t even 3 years old yet. We purchased a twin in a quiet neighborhood. Now after a few months my neighbor flat out said they can’t take the sound of my kids playing and to retaliate they play loud music with cursing that I can hear on every level of the house. I’m so anxious that this will continue and I feel like a prisoner in my own house. I find myself snapping at even the most basic sounds the kids make and it’s ridiculous. I basically sit them in the couch for hours to watch tv because I’m anxious if they start to move around again I’ll get another helping of heavy metal blasting...is there legit ways to sound proof floors and walls? The floor is probably original wood and squeaky and I can hear the neighbors walk if they don’t take off their shoes but I’ve lived in apartments for years and am not bothered by such sounds but apparently they are and apparently no one with multiple kids lived here before. I am researching insulation and drywall etc but am terrified we will spend money and the problem won’t be fixed. I don’t think it’s fair to limit every sound they make at this age....we can’t sell the house and I doubt I can find a rental without having to take my son out of district all over again...what can I do?

Wow that’s an unhealthy situation for everyone. A twin, did you mean a duplex an attached house? Why wouldn’t you be able to sell? Maybe you can rent it out and possibly rent a small detached home for you and your family until you are ready to sell.

I’d think having your son attend a different school is a lot better than being confined to sitting on a couch and not being able to play.

It’s really unhealthy for your kids.

Positive Positive
Feb '19

I have two kids, a 4-year old girl and a 5-year old boy... and when they get going with each other (about every other hour or so...), I certainly wouldn't want to live next to me in a duplex. Tough situation all around.

Heavy metal ain't so bad, give it a chance. Are they blaring it all the time as "punishment" or just as a mitigating noise canceller for when your kids are being somewhat rowdy?

ianimal ianimal
Feb '19

They do make sound deafening insulation, Roxul, I think is the brand name. It will muffle the sound but it is pricey. We used it as. The wall of the laundry room and the half bath off the living room.
I’m sorry you have to deal with awful people...

Blackcat Blackcat
Feb '19

A quick call to the non emergency number of your local police department will probabl alleviate the situation

Bug3
Feb '19

Sorry I didn’t offer advice about soundproofing. I’d think it would be pretty expensive and if your neighbors are spiteful troublemakers they will find other ways to make your life difficult.

I assume you share the yard, porch and basement?

Positive Positive
Feb '19

If its a duplex, the divider is fireproof, but do they insulate....enough. I just don’t know.

Whenever I update, I put insulation in the interior walls. Pretty cheap. Amazing difference. Doesn’t stop everything, but very quiet. Must make sound-proofed wall coverings. Should help neighbors and you from them. Maybe?

StrangerDanger StrangerDanger
Feb '19

Usually another layer of drywall put up with acoustical caulk on the adjoining walls. You will need to also address the 2nd floor joists where they meet the other unit (holes drilled in the ceiling nearby and expanding foam applied. Finally, all the wall outlets on the adjoining wall need to be "plugged" with the acoustical caulk as well, plus any other small openings.

iJay who do I call to do that??

Thanks!!

Comments like - “I’m sorry you have to deal with awful people” and a suggestion to cal the cops. Really?

At least Ianimal realizes his kids can be noisy and not everyone else wants to hear / deal with that.

Certainly doesn’t make the people next door who may not have kids ‘horrible’ or subject to police intervention.

“don’t think it’s fair to limit every sound they make at this age....”

Sorry- but yes, if you are close to a neighbor, especially if you share common walls- you have a responsibility to maintain a reasonable tolerable environment.

I am hundreds of feet from all my neighbors in any direction and still feel bad when my puppy whines or barks in her cage.

Not sure in this area, maybe start with a drywall contractor/painter? Subcontracted myself back in the 90s on a rental unit bedroom wall where one of the neighbors complained constantly over months.

If you have hardwood floors everywhere, cover them with area rugs, it helps somehow. Just be sure they are not sliding when kids run. You don't need to keep kids sitting on a couch all day. You can teach them to walk instead of running in the house, occupy them with art, puzzles and reading books or playing with toys. If they are too active, spend more time playing outside so they would spend all their energy outside and relax at home. If you can hear neighbors cursing, put soft music on to cover it. Yes, you will spend more time organizing your kids activities and being involved but it's cheaper than house remodeling or moving to other house.

Having neighbors who share walls with you is just like living in the apartment building, it could be very noisy. Your neighbors will eventually learn that everyone makes noise and they will adjust their expectations about living in the duplex in the regular community and not in the one for people who are 55+.

It's for these reasons I live in the woods. You can always put these everywhere. https://www.amazon.com/Pack-Acoustic-Panels-Studio-Wedges/dp/B010GPFRUQ

not sack
Feb '19

@Lena. It was loud heavy metal music with cursing and I could hear it on every level of my home-soft music couldn’t cover it up. And she played it because she could hear the kids laughing and playing in the bathtub...Sitting activities only go so far- they need to move. Especially the older two- moving jumping etc is part of their OT therapy. My older son has motor issues and no matter how much I remind him-his steps are heavy- doesn’t bother me but I guess the neighbors hear it. And the running alone wasn’t the issue - it’s the sound of multiple little feet everywhere. Apparently only single people have lived here the past few years. Even in the attic where it’s completely carpeted-they are still heard. The day the neighbor complained was a bitter cold day and my youngest was sick so playing outside wasn’t an option. I feel if noise was really the issue then they would put on head phones or ear plugs rather than play music that will disturb other close by neighbors. I play the piano and they said that doesn’t bother them-it’s specifically the kids. At any rate I really am anxious to find a contractor who can help. I actually moved from Hackettstown to Alpha. If anyone knows anyone please let me know.. thanks!

@Josh. Here’s the issue. My kids are not being unreasonably loud. I believe poor sound proofing is the issue -not the kids. Understand that I obviously hear their (the neighbors) noise too. My goodness the first time I heard them turn on the vacuum cleaner I thought I was being beamed to another planet. I was home alone and it was loud but I just went on with my day- after all they have to clean their floors. They have a cat that plays with a hard toy ball and I hear the little ball bounce in my bedroom all hours of the day and night. But I consider that tolerable-even if annoying. I don’t expect them to follow their cat around all day. Point is if they ever made noise that I thought was over the top I wouldn’t be passive aggressive and blast music I would politely say something....We lived in apartments for years and never ever had a complaint against us about noise.

iJay is 100% right. Drywall to start is the Mass that will absorb sound.
The thicker ( the mass ) the better.
Also, there is a fabric that is made special to absorb sound.
I had worked with Lead Impregnated Fabric in the 70's and up until Lead was banned for use. It worked in areas where mass was not practical. ( because of space limitations )
If it were me, I would cover the wall with the fabric first, and then drywall over that.

http://westcoastsoundsolutions.com/acoustical-wall-panels?_vsrefdom=adwords&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsuPTndnP4AIVBlgNCh3Uzg9UEAAYASAAEgIH4PD_BwE

Embryodad Embryodad
Feb '19

Thank you embryodad!

Any chance your neighbor is being unrealistic in their expectations about the noise that is considered to be normal?

I applaud the time and expense you may put in to make things better, and hope it works. But just would be concerned about having a neighbor who may be impossible to please.

D-ManPV D-ManPV
Feb '19

notsack - i live in the next tree over from you and you snore too loudly. My wife complains about it (lol, just kidding man)

AJ - i feel bad for you and your kids, no good can come from this situation, if it was me, i would be looking for another place to move into with my young family. Maybe a place with kids next door, or nearby.

Sorry for your troubles, and the suggestions above are good but i'm afraid at the end of the day they wont solve your problem. The piano is ok but the kids are not? (huge tell right there). There ain't no fix for kid haters other than getting away from them. Soundproofing ain't gonna cover the fact that there are young children next door. People are funny that way. (and not in a good way)

GreyHawk GreyHawk
Feb '19

AJ, can you comment on the construction of your duplex in regards to the wall between the units? When was it built might give some insight.

Drywall too. But regular insullation will do the job; probably can find better soundproofing but weigh the cost. Current insulation does not net to be finerglass either, just used some new biodegradable stuff that kinda reminded me if wool. Can get wet and still works. Weird but not expensive.

Yes, rugs help, but not the other duplex, just yours. Recently removed dining room rug over hard wood floor. Not that it’s loud, but all the normal water/furnace/ sounds are driving me out of the room. Keep going “what’s that? So now I will insulate basement under the dining room.......

I am guessing no plugs on firewall because that will be a pain to move.

Can use paneling instead of drywall.

Neighbors music: bass is hard to stop. If you ask them to lower the bass, you can probably block or whitenoise the rest, but bass goes right through everything. If they bass less, they can crank more.

Feb '19

The building I believe is from the 20’s. You can’t hear talking unless you really raise your voice but you can hear walking in the stairs heavy thuds if something is dropped etc. they can’t take the sound of them on the stairs. My son has a trampoline (again for sensory needs) I’m guessing they hear that etc. it’s in the attic over carpet but still is heard I guess... I can’t move now there’s nothing for rent near by...we just bought this house I don’t have money to sell it and to rent it and I’d have to charge a quite a bit to cover issues that could arise...I had hoped sound proofing could work....

iJay- will the dry wall help with the thuds of my kids walking? My two year old was standing by the stairs doing a little happy dance. I then heard a deliberate stomping type echo on the other side of wall. So I think they want me to know how loud it sounds to them. It doesn’t bother me but I’m feeling like I better become a panda and swing my kids over my back until they’re 18 because I can’t stop every single foot fall they will hear when there’s 3 of them....needless to say I’m having huge buyers remorse

StrangerDanger do you know anyone who does that kind of work??

Trying to understand what separates you (from your neighbor). Was it always a duplex, was it a single family originally?

No, sorry. My guy near retirement, not taking new work. Plus, foot falls like bass, pretty hard to stop sound travel. It’s a behavior, they can be quieter. But how to get them to naturally so it, automatically, that’s the trick.

Maybe play “the frontiersmen game” where they try to see how quiet they can do stairs. I only say that because I grew up learning and practicing walking silently in the woods.

My kids, adults now, sound like Buffalo stampeding the stairs ;-). Always have.

Good luck, hope you and your neighbor can talk as you work your way theough it. Sounds like you’re flexible and willing to try.

Feb '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.