Places to practice drive

Looking for suggestions for good places to practice driving. Has the permit, has a relative with a car and they would like to know to go to practice driving

Thanks in advance for your time and attention

GreyHawk GreyHawk
Feb '19

Do NOT try any parking lots in the International Trade Zone.
Security Guards will show up within 10 mins (as they have cameras) and run you off.

Been there, Done that.

Chick-fil-a Ed Chick-fil-a Ed
Feb '19

I've seen cars driving around the closed A&P parking lot in Mount Olive . That parking lot is pretty empty since the store closed . Here are some other ideas from an older thread ;

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/361814

97XBAM 97XBAM
Feb '19

I know it's a bit of a distance, but Lenape Valley High School's Parking lot used to actually have cones set up for practicing parallel parking on the side of their lot. I haven't checked it lately though, but it's decently-sized. Perhaps one of the local Elementary or Middle Schools has a large enough parking lot to practice in?

Maybe checking google maps view on each place would give you an idea of how much room you'd have and the parking lot set up too. Couldn't you practice at the Hackettstown High parking lot if there are no sports going on at the time?

Phil D. Phil D.
Feb '19

There are public streets everywhere where it is perfectly legal for someone with a learner's permit to "practice driving".

I would never recommend trespassing in someone else's parking lot to do that... those areas are for "practicing doughnuts" (-;

ianimal ianimal
Feb '19

Drive around Lake Hopatcong. The actual lake not the town. Has a little bit of everything. That's how I learned. Schools on the weekends for parallel parking practice.

Walking Girl Walking Girl
Feb '19

thanks ever so much folks, will pass these ideas along,

appreciate your time and attention, thank you

GreyHawk GreyHawk
Feb '19

Doughnuts good but the best is post snow, pre-plow for snow slides and anti-lock brake tests. Just love to lock em up without damaging the tires too much.

Good for learners too to learn that feeling. Although much slower.

StrangerDanger StrangerDanger
Feb '19

hi, I see a lot of people drive in the old A & P parking lot by Rt. 31 in Washington NJ (near Mc Donald's),... shouldn't be an issue.

Joni Sattely Joni Sattely
Feb '19

Depends on how much you like them... you could try 80E to 287S at 8am! If he spills your coffee, he fails!

We practiced at county college of morris on a Sunday morning. Lots of parking lots so many opportunities to practice making lefts and rights into and out of various parking lots. Plenty of space for practicing k turns.

Njchia Njchia
Feb '19

check with your insurance company !!

steven steven
Feb '19

I used back roads by Allamuchy. There are some that are rarely driven. Of course that was useful for me as I was learning to drive stick.

Any high school parking lot.

Hackresident Hackresident
Feb '19

We used school parking lots, then back roads. As the test drew closer we went to Randolph when they were closed and checked out the actual parallel parking place, and practiced there.

hktownie hktownie
Feb '19

for parallel parking, I prefer cones with brooms or poles to get the thing visible above the bumper..... At least to begin with. Also, if you have two cars, practice first in the big one.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Feb '19

In Randolph - the industrial park across the street from DMV. They have practice cones set up for parallel parking. Parallel parking is tough and it was the first thing they tested my son on. Fail that - test over. :(

cthy1213 cthy1213
Feb '19

Peopl practicing on Hearthstone. By target. Take a right at the traffic light if you are coming from Hackettstown. It’s a dead end. The farmers field is at the end.
People set up and remove there own cones everytime they practice. I actually think there may be cones out there (there was the other day).
I live in the townhouses and the view of the people practicing is in my backyard.

Lisa Frisbee Lisa Frisbee
Feb '19

thanks again guys, will pass these suggestions along, this site is a valuable resource for the community and i appreciate all the good advice, thank you

GreyHawk GreyHawk
Feb '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.