Polar Express Phillipsburg

Ever taken the kids on the Polar Express train ride in Phillipsburg? How was it? What happens on the train for the children? Opinions please

Blue Seas
Dec '18

We did it about 5 years ago. So much fun for the kids. Everyone wears pajamas, even the adults! Make sure you watch the movie before you go. They come by and offer hot chocolate, Santa arrives, the elves sing carols with everyone, and everyone goes home with a jingle bell. Theres a gift shop in one of the cars on the train too.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Dec '18

there's a documentary about it:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0338348/

It's a great time. Not sure you can get tickets at this point if you dont already have them. We went the day after Thanksgiving and I think we got the tickets back in July...

As for the experience, they have the railcars decorated nicely, pipe in music from the movie, serve hot chocolate and provide a parade of entertainment from jugglers to elves to the big man himself. Everyone's encouraged to show up in their pajamas and they have pre-event food and entertainment available on-site as well. We'll be going every year until the kids are "too cool" to enjoy such things... hopefully, that's a long time coming.

ianimal ianimal
Dec '18

What happened to the Hackettstown Christmas train they used to have?

Bug3
Dec '18

We went to that one a few years before the polar express in Pburg. I believe they don’t offer that one anymore. Mt. Arlington was the next closest but we could never get tickets.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Dec '18

There's also one in Whippany.

Smilingbecs Smilingbecs
Dec '18

It's impossible to get tickets for it

Sirya
Dec '18

.These trips sell out fast, last year in under 15 minutes! Tickets will go on sale June 1st at midnight ( 11:59 PM May 31st)

https://877trainride.com/polarexpress.htm

yea it's hard to think of Christmas in June but I guess you have to really plan ahead.

Jim L Jim L
Dec '18

We went last weekend and my 2yo and 4yo loved it. All dressed in our PJs, they loved that alone. Keep the pot hot, never let it cool!

Forcefed4door Forcefed4door
Dec '18

I have to say I was not thrilled with the experience for what it cost. It started off with signs telling you where to park. We were directed to a church parking lot to which we donated $5 to park and take a shuttle. We arrived over an hour early just to make sure that we would get to the train on time. After about half an hour of waiting on line for shuttle that never arrived the church people informed us that they couldn't get there anymore and that we either needed to go across the street to another shuttle or walk to the train if we wanted to make our trip. From what I understood there was alot of entertainment. We saw a juggler for 5 min, a guy spinning plates for 5 min, a guy singing 3 songs with a ukulele and then Santa at the end which you could take a picture with but that part was very rushed. There was probably a total of 20 min of entertainment throughout the 1hr 45min ride. They did come around with a cookie and very small cup of hot chocolate. And because it was nighttime there is nothing to see outside. I thought there would be some lights or decorations along the tracks somewhere. All in all it was a very cute ride but definitely not worth the money. I was told that the one in Whippany was much better and that train even goes through what they constructed to be a North Pole. We will be ordering tickets for that one as soon as they go on sale next year. P.s. my sister did go on the Phillipsburg one last year and she said it was much better than it was this year I'm not sure what was done different but she did say that there is a lot more entertainment last year then there was this.

Blondie781 Blondie781
Dec '18

We went a few year ago and thought it was just okay. It didn't really live up to all the hype. We did the Santa train in Flemington this year and that is a little more interactive and fun. You actually get off the train at the "north pole" to get your hot chocolate and cookies and you can take a picture in santa's sleigh. On the train Santa and Mrs Claus come though and sit down with each group and talk to the kids. Parking is right next to the train station. We bought tickets in July though, it sells out.

Pixeet Pixeet
Dec '18

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.