National Pasta Day 10/17!

National Pasta Day 10/17!

It's National Pasta Day! Enjoy!

There are some interesting survey results are in the link below. I can't believe how many people love Prego and Ragu sauces. It made this Italian shiver. LMAO

https://nationaltoday.com/national-pasta-day/#survey

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '18

Re: National Pasta Day 10/17!

Darn. Not enough notice to make my homemade "Noni sauce" which takes all day to cook. I'll celebrate over the weekend. :)

Calico696 and SueR - How about this: www.marthastewart.com/972493/bolognese-sauce. Use in lasagna, with ricotta/romano/parmesan cheeses, egg filling and home made wide noodles, three layers each.

DannyC DannyC
Oct '18

No thanks, I don't eat pork or beef.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '18

Didn’t think I would ever try Preggo, but the new Farmer’s Market versions are pretty good.

Like Victoria too; very close to our Northern Italian version from Genoa.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Oct '18

SD - Did you know the sauce Barilla sells in Europe as "Genovese" is the one sold here as "Traditional Pesto"? Too bad they don't sell their "Calabrese" sauce here, it's really pretty good. They sell "Arabiata" in Europe too, but that I don't miss seeing here. It's just average.

Rao's is the only sauce I'll buy to eat directly.

If I'm just mixing it into baked ziti with mozzarella, ricotta and egg, then I'll cheap out and get Classico, cuz who can tell the difference with all that cheese?

ianimal ianimal
Oct '18

GC —- no I didn’t. Our recipe just comes from a relative from Genoa :-)

My grandmother, a famous non cook, cook, used to make an incredible thin and basic sauce. Turned out it was tomato paste and water and really thick noodles. Funny thing is like every five years or so I get a hankering for Nana’s awful paghetti. Never have followed up on it though except to get that fantastic recipe from my cousin. Nana’s pot roast was not much better —- let’s just say you knew it was really done.

Shoprites International brand seems to be a partnership in Italy and that line has some real Italian sauces. Their Arabiatta has whole cherry tomatos cooked to the point they are whole, but break down as you heat it. Interesting sauces. Certainly not American.

Why does each type of pasta seem to taste different?

For basic, we like Ronzoni.

Oct '18

SD, i find that different shaped pastas have a different texture. I prefer square ravioli to round ravioli. I find the texture is much different. The square seems to have a less doughy lighter texture.

I also prefer fusilli over spaghetti because it holds the sauce (gravy) better. Stuffed rigatoni, well it's just so good.

positive positive
Oct '18

I like rottelli for the same reason you like fusilli. Thinner spaghetti over thicker (sorry Nana). And, for some reason, hate ziti in all of its remditions. Farfella always makes me smile. I just like saying it.

Oct '18

I agree about ziti, I'm not crazy about it either. I make baked rigatoni instead of baked ziti..the ribs on the rigatoni make all the difference.

I love rottelli too and rotini, but not sure what the difference is between the two?

positive positive
Oct '18

Rotelle is the wagon wheel. Do you mean rotini and fusilli? Of those two, rotini is the tighter corkscrew.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '18

Fusilli the curly spaghetti and rotini the corkscrew like you said. I didn't know rotelle was the wagon wheel..I will pass on that one. Lol

positive positive
Oct '18

Fusilli is nothing like spaghetti. It is similar to rotini, just looser.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '18

Now I'm confused..what is the curly spaghetti called? I've had it many times, it's long and thin like spaghetti but it's curly. I just googled fusilli and you are correct, I don't know why I've been referring to this as fusilli for the longest time.

positive positive
Oct '18

Pasta pother.
LOL

happiest girl
Oct '18

I think you are talking about fusilli lunghi. Picture ---->

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '18

Yes!! That's it! I haven't lost my mind..well not yet.

Thanks Calico

positive positive
Oct '18

No sweat! I am the pasta queen. Dad got off the boat from Italy in 1956.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '18

SD must eat Ronzoni... they have a corkscrew pasta called "rotelle". They also have "rotini", which I think is slightly smaller in diameter.

ianimal ianimal
Oct '18

"I agree about ziti, I'm not crazy about it either. I make baked rigatoni instead of baked ziti..the ribs on the rigatoni make all the difference."

You can get ziti with ribs... it's called "ziti rigate".

ianimal ianimal
Oct '18

It's the corkscrew I like, whatever the name, and yes, we mostly lean to Ronzoni, or fresh, or SR imported brand line. Baked rigatoni better than ziti, by far, but not a fan of either. My son, who hates lasagna on personal reasons :>), says baked rigatoni is just a lazy lasagna.... :>) (Although I have a great Tex-Mex version....)

The wagon wheels I like for serving to the kids. More pasta, sauce stick-age great, and they are fun.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Oct '18

What is the difference between every one of those shapes of pasta except for the shape?

Dodgebaal Dodgebaal
Oct '18

Nothing is better than fresh home made pasta, either flat 3 X 12 inch rectangles for lasagna or sliced 1/4 inch strip pieces for noodles, both with your finest Bolognese sauce. Fresh pasta cooks faster than hard dry pasta of any shape from a box, and tastes so much better.

DannyC DannyC
Oct '18

My jewish grandmother used to serve her version.. Spaghetti with ketchup! It was just awful!!

Acl76 Acl76
Oct '18

Acl76 - OMG! That is horrendous!

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '18

Told ya. Nana's was tomato paste, water, and the biggest noodles you have ever seen. Awful but still miss it enough to chase down that stellar recipe....

And that was one of her better meals :>)

Did coin the phrase on shopping days: "good eats tonight" referencing those nights without eats......there were a few.

Oct '18

Spaghetti with ketchup, don't knock it til you've tried it! Haha

Every now and then I get in the mood for it, but it MUST be made with onions. (Sometimes I throw in garlic too) Fry up some onions in olive oil until they are nice and brown. Mix oil & onions in spaghetti, squirt a little bit of ketchup and mix.

I've even made buttered elbows with ketchup.

Yes, I know I'm weird. :)

Of course this never replaces a good homemade Italian sauce, it's just something different But not everyday is a homemade sauce kind of day anyway.

Flat egg noodles, butter, cottage cheese, sour cream, some onion, a little pepper.

Slavic Noodles or Poor Man's Perogies...…

Very tasty.

Oct '18

Add some mashed potatoes and shredded cheddar cheese and remove the cottage cheese and you'll have the ever-popular "pierogi casserole". Serve with the sour cream on top...

ianimal ianimal
Oct '18

You may also want to try "pizza frit", thinly rolled pizza dough, pan fried crispy, with Bolognese sauce and ricotta, parmesan and Locatelli romano cheeses. Better than bruchetta.

DannyC DannyC
Oct '18

Pizza fritta. This woman might as well be my grandmother. LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTzdnBoKzMk

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '18

Pasta with butter and ketchup- childhood comfort food:)

Blackcat Blackcat
Oct '18

Calico696 - This lovely lady could be my grandmother as well. A fine cook. It proves that pizza fritta can be savory as well. Love how she makes the crust "skinny". For "pizza fritta", pan fry pizza dough instead of baking and use smaller dough pieces, with the same prep for toppings.
https://youtu.be/OjXWVSbWBV4

DannyC DannyC
Oct '18

Grandma Gina makes tomato sauce:
https://youtu.be/4RwuSZDl_do
Reminds me of how my real grandma made tomato sauce with basil around this time of year. You could smell it for miles.

DannyC DannyC
Oct '18

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.