New vote by mail law

"Voters who requested and received a mail-in ballot for the 2016 general election have (note: had) until the close of business Friday (note: September 14, 2018) to notify their county clerk's office if they wish to opt out of voting by mail for the upcoming general election.

Those who fail to do so, and who wish to vote by machine at their standard polling place on Election Day, may be surprised when they show up on Nov. 6 and are told they cannot do so and must fill out a provisional ballot instead."

Reference: https://www.njherald.com/20180913/new-vote-by-mail-law-stirs-confusion-for-voters-officials#

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Oct '18

I’m still confused, after reading this article. I recently received a letter regarding mail in voting. I didn’t read it, because I’ve always voted by machine and thought it was to opt IN to vote by mail. This is strange. I don’t want any surprises, come Election Day. Not sure how to determine if I can still vote at the polling station, like I’ve been doing for the last 40 years. I know. Don’t throw away anything, until I look at it, thoroughly. Still living and learning.

Guilty-Remnant Guilty-Remnant
Oct '18

OMG, I got that notice and just threw it away! I want to vote in person!

"OMG, I got that notice and just threw it away!"

This is exactly what certain people hoped you would do.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '18

Guilty-Remnant - Read the very first line of the statement:

"Voters who requested and received a mail-in ballot for the 2016 general election"

It only applies to people who previously requested a mail-in ballot. If you did get a mail in back in 2016 then you will be getting a mail in ballot for subsequent elections until you tell them to stop.

But you said you've always voted in person. If you did not get a mail-in back in 2016 then you have noting to worry about.

The confusion has been further fueled by a non-profit, that has absolutely nothing to do with the County, mailed everyone a notice saying they have the write to request a mail-in ballot. That was what the letter was, and why it seemed like it was an opt-in. (because it is for opting-in)

Correct if you did NOT do mail-in in 2016 then you are fine and can go to your ballot location as you have done in the past.

This only affects those that did mail-in in 2016

Jim L Jim L
Oct '18

I never requested to vote by mail. I don’t remember receiving anything about this, in 2016, never voted by mail, nor requested anything related to voting by mail, however I did receive this (2018) letter, anyway. If I received a letter in 2016, I would have thrown that one out, also, but I don’t remember if I got one, or not. By throwing out this current letter, can I still vote in person? Jim said “if you did not do mail in, in 2016, You’re fine”, but what if I did received a 2016 letter and threw that out, as well? Still a little confused. Thanks so much. You guys/gals are a great bunch.

Oct '18

I've never voted by mail in my life. I have not received a letter. There was a whole article on this in the Express Times last month, but I can't find it. The article was confusing as well. I remember telling my husband that it would be like a bomb going off in the place if I got to the polls and couldn't vote. LOL

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '18

That’s how I’m feeling, right now, Calico. I’ll see if I can find out more Info. Thanks.

Oct '18

. If you voted in person in 2016 you are not effected.

You can always call the county office to verify if you are still confused

Jim L Jim L
Oct '18

"If you voted in person in 2016 you are not effected."

Correct. That's what I found out in the end, but reading that article last month left me.....whaaaaaat? LOL

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '18

I filled out the ballot correct, but got a letter in the mail mid July stating my signature did not match, followed all directions and sent THAT form back via email to electionballots@co.warren.nj.us with proof of my identity and second form all filled out

Got a letter in the mail today stating my ballot was not counted because my signature did not match....total B.S. never doing mail in again.....

Darrin Darrin
Aug '20

Darrin, let me explain why "they" win. I think the "commissioners" have unrolled a new mail in validation process that is catching many voters based on signature invalidating voters who have voted via mail since day one, some on who have been on the poling place signature books for decades. There is no info on the process and, as far as I can tell, no way to self-validate your mail-in application submitted signature after the fact.

The solution is to write either your representative, or candidate, and explain that you think many of their votes are being disqualified and that they should look into it. After all, it's not only in the interest of our democracy, but it's in their self interest as well.

The other solution, Darrin, if you are using mail in and you have any qualms about matching your signature later, snap a pic of your signature before you send the application form in if you want to self validate before you mail in later. After it is sent in, I do not think there is any way you can get a picture post submission. Darrin, you re-submit a form JUST for signature update, I do not know the deadline.

Meanwhile: for mail In ballots, it appears that Warren County has drop boxes at most of the municipal buildings. They are “in front.” If we use these, it takes pressure off our essential front line postal workers and should guarantee that the vote gets there.
As Darrin noted, it does not guarantee that your vote counts. Does anyone know whether any of these drop boxes are “drive-through.” I think, based on the list, the answer is 'no.' but perhaps someone knows if they might enhance for November.

And God Bless our postal workers, stay safe out there!

The reason I say "they win" Darrin, is that this seems to have the effect of voter submission. I am hoping our representatives can uncover that, fix it, and let democracy reign ---- as American as the USPS.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Aug '20

Well I spoke with the guy mentioned to call with any questions on my second letter and he stated it was sent to me by mistake, not to worry, my vote counted....ummmm...not quite sure I believe that statement.

And to be clear, I have no qualm about the signature verification, I think its great and proof they are being vigilant, my problem was I did all that was required and then still got a letter stating my vote was not counted.

Darrin Darrin
Aug '20

strangerdanger

The voting "mailbox" in front of the Hackettstown Municipal Building looked to be drive-up-able when I voted in the Primary. I parked on the side of the building and walked around to it, just in case someone needed to access it from their car. It definitely looked as though you could reach it through a vehicle window, though the driveway does curve a bit much right there. Larger car = less luck reaching I think.

Phil D. Phil D.
Aug '20

Thanks phil. Darrin, I did find it; Warren rejected 2.8% of the primary votes. Can’t tell you if that’s statistically high or low.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Aug '20

My step-son just got two identical Official Ballots. One on Friday and one today. I'm sure we're not the only one.

doesn't matter, just because he got 2 identical ballots it doesn't mean he can vote twice.

Jim L Jim L
Oct '20

STILL not clear on this (by design, I'm sure.)

I have always voted in person. I did not request a mail-in ballot, nor did request to not be included in a mail-in ballot. I received a few days ago a mail-in ballot. The directions say I can mail it in, drop it off at a ballot box, OR take it to the polls and hand it in in person. I THINK.

Can anybody clarify? Only certain (special needs?) people will have access to electronic voting machines, everyone else has to use a paper (mail-in or provisional) ballot, and they CAN be taken to your local polling place on Election Day?

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Oct '20

This is so unclear. Its ridiculous.

I actually tried to do the mail in voting for the primary. My vote was rejected for the signature. The same signature that I have used for years. What a bunch of crap this is.

Bobbob Bobbob
Oct '20

JR, everyone got mail in ballots per Murphy’s EO. The way you understand it is how I understand it as well.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Oct '20

Goggle Warren County Votes. Web site describes all, even a video for those youtubers out there. .

Do not detach certification page; that’s a no no. Why?

Ballot comes in; they validate by envelopes, where they should catch dups, dead, unregistered, reregistered, etc. Inside envelope reviewed for same (or maybe its the only review) and then certification page removed, put in one pile, and ballot put in another. Thus ballot viewers/counters never know your name or that you love gateway drugs, non armed conflict service people or donald duck for school board. .

All my kids living and registered in other states and having voted there got ballots but pretty sure it gets caught in validation phase.

We’ll see. Wink wink, nudge, nudge ;-)

Oct '20

In this day and age, and possibilities of fraud, or mistake, or some incident of Malarkey, everyone needs a 'VOTER IDENTIFICATION!" Number / code etc.
To be integrated into a master computer system that will track double voting, or anyone that is NOT ALLOWED to Vote.

I don't understand..... ie. We can put a man on the moon, or in orbit, but we can't vote using a ballot; or system that is honest and efficient? ? ?

Embryodad Embryodad
Oct '20

Has anyone gotten their Ballot, yet?

"...ie. We can put a man on the moon, or in orbit, but we can't vote using a ballot; or system that is honest and efficient? ? ?"

Sure we can. We have been for many years. I don't think my mom has been to her actual polling place since my father died over 20 years ago. (They used to make an evening of it, having dinner out after casting their ballots.) Voting by mail is not new, and contrary to what some in today's climate would have us believe, it is also not shady. It's perfectly normal.

Monty Monty
Oct '20

Everyone can wear a mask to pay their respects to RBG, but we cannot wear a mask to vote?

Valleygirl
Oct '20

NJ does have ballots edad.

You can wear a mask to vote vgirl.

There is no widespread fraud detected in mail in, many states, both colors, been using for years. Last bungle was dangling chads, not mail in.

Got it, felt it, opened it, read it, filled it, dropped it in secure drop box, had to wait for one car, smiled at camera, believe I can check status online later. Pretty rough stuff.

Been using mail in for over a decade. Only issue was last primary signature issue and only the covid mail delays (my waiting, not usps) gummed that up. So, after you vote, check your mail till 11/10 in case they snail mail a correction notice.

Oct '20

Just a thought....if a mailman who is a democrat delivers mail in say.....Bedminster or Chester...maybe Mendham. He/she knows that a lot of those votes are for Trump. Can they not just disregard them? I know if he/she did this, they would be in a lot of trouble, but as we can see from our own police blotter, some people just don't care (or feel they will not be caught)...

Valleygirl
Oct '20

This inly affects people with signs on their laws.

So use a secure drop box already. Or go to the polls. Or drop it at the polls. Or drop it in another mailbox from that guy who’s voting the way the mailman does. Or check your mail man to see if he walks that funny way that reveals his party the same way he figured your party out.

Oct '20

We should be able to vote in person, striping that right away from someone is unconstitutional. If they are concerned about covid, social distance people and wipe down the machines after every use - as easy as that.

People can shop in-person using self check out stands and the likes, yet we can’t vote in person? Smells like BS and fraud to me.

Nope
Oct '20

all the information is out there for you - here is part about voting in person: Voting In-Person
Any voter who chooses to cast their vote in-person will do so on a provisional ballot.

Individuals with disabilities will have access to an ADA-conforming voting machine. Each municipality will be required to open at least one in-person polling site, and all counties must ensure that at least 50 percent of their total polling places are open.

Find your polling location here.

4catmom 4catmom
Oct '20

As 4catmom posted, " Any voter who chooses to cast their vote in-person will do so on a provisional ballot. Individuals with disabilities will have access to an ADA-conforming voting machine."

Keep in mind that a provisional ballot requires filling a form, being logged, etc. IF there are alot less polling places open and large numbers show to vote in person I can see a chaotic situation arising.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Oct '20

I just can’t see why providing more ways to vote allowing more people to vote can be a bad thing. However you want to vote, just vote that way and let me vote my way.

Rampant voter fraud, by mail, by machine, or by chad, seems to be more a figment of imagination by those afraid that a large turnout means a loss than a provable reality at any meaningful scale. More chance of Russian disinformation changing results than fraudulent ballots. At least according to the FBI, who many don't trust anymore anyways, but yet there it is. Eight votes in a trash can ain’t gonna change any national election.

For years I went to the polls, saw my signature in the book and copied it. Always seemed a fraudulent process to me so I moved to mail which also made voting during frequent travel easier.

Would rather use multi-factor authentication and vote over the internet but Im sure it’s a century away before that science is deemed legitimate.

Oct '20

Type, delete. Type, delete. Sigh.....

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '20

I'm not so concerned about fraud per se, but just overall problems with the process. Such as people not getting ballots and needing to deal with the whole provisional thing. Or ballots tossed aside for procedural issues like not signing a particular envelope in a certain way. Having said that kudos to the Warren County Clerk. She seems to be doing about as much as possible to prevent problems from happening in the first place.

It's my understanding that 5-10% of mail in votes are thrown out each year, typically a relatively small number. But imagine if that number holds true across the state!

Route 46
Oct '20

Fraud/problems with the process.... this is not the first NOR second report I've seen of this kind of thing happening already in NJ...

https://newjersey.news12.com/us-postal-service-investigates-pile-of-mail-found-dumped-in-north-arlington

Oct '20

There you go, dumping on the post man again ;-)

Define thrown out, because yes rejections are high. But that’s not thrown out, that’s trjected and there’s a process for remediation. Mostly tejections are higher because scrutiny is higher. Things get messed up at the polls too. One election required the Supremes to fix because of those bad chads.

Many states, both colors, have been using mail in for years, all parties support them there. I have used for a decade, just one problem which I could have fixed if I was reading mail like pre-covid.

For the dumped mail, as the media (that now you believe) indicated, until the investigation is completed, we don’t know the magnitude nor rationale. Given the destruction of the usps by our inept postmaster generic, destroyed sorting machines, roved mailboxes, loss of overtime, the issue could even be management malfeasance and emploee morale vs some dark conspiracy, not that you said it was. Let’s see those other cases to see the trend because the stats say; no.

Meanwhile, use the website I said to google. It gives you timeframes for when you can expect to get your ballot and how to replace if it gets dumped, lost, or stolen by the opposing party mailman or disgruntled worker gone postal. FYI, 10/5 is the date to except it at latest I believe. But check, it’s there. And the number to call if you don’t het it by 10/5 is there too.

Or go to the polls. Really, if you feel insecure about mail, drop boxes, just go to the polls. But let me vote the way I want to. Because I already have. And as far ad I can tell, it worked just like the polling booth. I filled it out, dropped it in a slot, and I is done.

Fyi- there’s supposed to be an online track your vote for mail in but I can not find it yet NOR do I know if it tracks drop box votes. Anyone find it yet?

Oct '20

As he says, it is what it is. He wants election night.. It'll be election week.

Ser positivo Ser positivo
Oct '20

Election week? We’ll be lucky if we have a winner by Thanksgiving. And that’s best case scenario if no state is close enough for a recount vote. Might have to wait doe the Dec 8th Electoral College dispute deadline. And hopefully it doesn’t end up in front of the Supreme Court.

This election will be studied in history books for generations. 2000 election has nothing on what we’re about to see

Jim L Jim L
Oct '20

I voted today and used the drop box in front of the municipal building. Reading through this thread however prompted me take another look at the letter from the County Clerk which was enclosed in the ballot packet. I used the website suggested for tracking my vote https://voter.svrs.nj.gov/auth/sign-in which gave me a lot of information on my election participation history and where I voted. It also stated my current polling place for the general election is at the HS, while I had always voted at the firehouse. As mentioned, I already place my ballot in the box so have no intention of voting in person (don't like the provisional ballot rule) but if you do plan on voting in person, double check your polling place; I can't confirm (because at this point I already dropped the ballot in the box) but could swear that the polling place stated on the ballot was the firehouse.

Look at it this way. In previous elections, we would receive a Sample Ballot in the mail so we could familiarize ourselves with it before going to the polls. This is basically the same thing, except it is your ACTUAL ballot. So, take your time, read it, make your choices, mark your ballot. THEN, you can decide if you want to mail it, take it to an official election box in town, take it to Belvidere Election office, OR take it to your local polling place with you & give it to them. If you actually prefer to VOTE at your polling place, you can do that too. Take the ballot that you got in the mail with you so you can turn it in & they know you didn't vote twice.
Let's just try to make this election process as good as we can during this difficult time of coping with a deadly pandemic. Our election officials are going to have an unprecedented situation to work through, for all of us, so let's not make it more complicated than it needs to be. All your options are there. Pick one. And vote.

Lonesome Dove Lonesome Dove
Oct '20

Well said lonesome dove

Justice Law
Oct '20

"If you actually prefer to VOTE at your polling place, you can do that too."

Just so people have the facts. If you go to a polling place to vote, you will be given a provisional ballot only.

IMO it's your best bet to fill out your ballot and physically hand it in at either the county clerk or board of elections office. Putting it in a drop box is just as sketchy as putting in a mailbox.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '20

Provisional ballot how it works is explained in FAQ #2 here https://www.warrencountyvotes.com/
Note: Provisional ballots are counted last, November 11th at the earliest.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Oct '20

If you believe the post man will dump it, the camera-surveilled secure drop box is sketchy, provisional ballots are not the same as voting, I’m sorry, but how do you get to voting in the polling place is safe?

If you don’t have your ballot by 10/5, there’s a place to call for remedy. You can vote at the polls, provisional ballot yes, but that’s a ballot. You can hand them your ballot at the polling place. You can drop it at the Belvedere election office, you can drop it at one of 11 camera protected secure drop boxes, you can mail it.

It’s October, choose, make a plan. We already know the vote will be challenged. It’s already being challenged in many states. In other states, dummy candidates like Kanye West are being put on the ballot to further confuse people. It won’t be solved on 11/3, but will be by 1/20/21. Chances are the winner will be so clear as much of our concern will vanish.

So use the website video to learn what to do; use it to find answers to questions or call, they will answer. Have a plan now on how you will vote, which method you will use. Don’t wait, plan today.

Thanks for the followup website, grl, gonna try it today.

Oct '20

"You can drop it at the Belvedere election office, you can drop it at one of 11 camera protected secure drop boxes, you can mail it."

Camera protected. LMAO

Ever notice that cameras seem to not work or malfunction whenever the retrieval of footage is necessary?

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '20

Grl, yes, that's the site and all my votes, including receipt dates, are listed, mail-in, provisional, or polling place. Did not see a listing for "secure drop box votes," so does anyone know if they are included under "mail-in" stats? And does anyone know how soon the received status might be updated?

At least for mail in and provisional, ultimately we will know if received or not.

Oct '20

My understanding is there is an official drop box at the municipal building on Stiger. Is it accessible any time, or only during business hours?

Monty Monty
Oct '20

its outside the municipal building accessible at any time.

Jim L Jim L
Oct '20

I took my ballot to Election Board office in Belvidere this morning. Easy peasy. But it does take a few minutes, I.D. required, So don't put it off until the last minute when things might get busy & crowded.

Oct '20

"its outside the municipal building accessible at any time."

Thanks

Monty Monty
Oct '20

"Ever notice that cameras seem to not work or malfunction whenever the retrieval of footage is necessary?"

You can sign up and track your ballot, it will let you know when the Board of Elections received your ballot. You can also view your voting history and I did see the date my ballot from this year's primary was received.

https://voter.svrs.nj.gov/auth/sign-in

Lynnada Lynnada
Oct '20

+1 Lynnada. They will track this years vote as they qualify them although at ,000’s a day, may take a bit. Drop Box votes will track as mail-in according to what my friend heard.

My vote is already up and they noted I picked a winner (just kidding, they can’t know who you vote for and I can’t see status yet)

Seems to me to be a good process, many ways to get that vote in, great websites and instructions, easy access, status monitoring, and a chance to redo a number of possible rejections so watch your mail after you vote in case you need to update/redo.

Any thoughts on census question? Looked like coin toss to me.

Oct '20

Thank you for your advice, Calico.

We will be personally handing in our ballots to the Election Board office in Belvidere.

Every vote matters if done the right way. I'm going to make sure my vote is done the right way....IT MATTERS....and yours does too.

Vote the right way........

Positive Positive
Oct '20

NJ isn't a swing state in national elections , hasn't gone red since 1988 and has become a lot more more diverse since then . But it's disturbing to see people hate on our loyal postal workers with no proof other than some contrived lies and phony election propaganda ! I've known several postal employees and am even related to a few and all I can say is shame on you to those who for fall so easily for obvious lies . Forget the drop boxes , I'm going to fill out my ballot and mail it in like I always do despite the lies being spread I have faith in the U.S. Postal system !

97XBAM 97XBAM
Oct '20

Has anyone tried registering to vote online through the NJ website? New voter here and I registered online and it's been a week without any confirmation. Also when I check if I'm registered, no results come back.

Just wondering if anyone has done it and how long it took til you got a confirmation? Will probably try to call tomorrow with the deadline to register looming soon.

NewVoter
Oct '20

Call the Warren County election office or email them; they respond quick and should give you the straight skinny.

Sorry, 97x if you thought I was a usps basher. Just the guy at the top and he’s not really usps; he’s an illegal mailian and should be deported. I am extremely proud of those who sabotaged his efforts at great career peril. I just used the drop box to relieve the load, not out of distrust. Figure they are delivering more to me than ever. It’s like xmas all year long with all the deliveries. I have even tipped because of such brave essential service.

Oct '20

Anyone know what to do if a person has moved within the municipality and did not change the address with the voter registration people... does it matter which street name I write in..?

I would call your board of elections and ask, jrn.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Oct '20

Did you change your D.L. address with the DMV? If so, they usually will sent the update to the board of elections, but you should still check with the county.

thomasnj thomasnj
Oct '20

And email them referencing the voice mail, they are very responsive, but face it, very busy right now, so give them a choice in method to respond.

Doesn’t the website note your address?

Oct '20

I checked, if you are registered, your current address is here: https://voter.svrs.nj.gov/my/home

Oct '20

I dropped my completed ballot into one of the twp ballot drop boxes. Checked online. It was marked as received today. Hopefully, it was correct, but if not, they have plenty of time to notify me. Next year I will be be voting live on election day from behind the curtain!

maja2 maja2
Oct '20

Thanks Maja2 ----- we're in there too!

Been voting by mail for years, used drop box this year just to take some of the pressure off my carrier, or post office, this year, but frankly, enjoyed the drive, so either mail or box next year. Never really enjoyed the polling booth, except for the chatting. So, maybe next year we have a "box" party, sort of like a block party ----- tailgaters allowed !!!

Oct '20

Sounds good SD!

maja2 maja2
Oct '20

maja - Will you be there at the tail gate before noon? ;-)

Lol, of course GC! I miss everybody!

maja2 maja2
Oct '20

Why before noon?

Also, which one? Belvidere has a fair amount of room.

What’s next big election, NJ gov?

Oct '20

okay GC - where's the party? Vote has been deposited but --- a party? wahoo

4catmom 4catmom
Oct '20

4catmom - I think where is SD's call for initiating the party.

SD - Before noon because that's the way maja rolls. It was an HL gathering years ago where she apparently couldn't live without a morning drink... ;-)

Ah, thanks. You know me, all bark, no show. Only attend those events I can guarantee anonymity. Like planning meetings ;-). Besides, alteady voted.

Oct '20

where are the drop boxes?

needtovote
Oct '20

Ok anyone know how to go about getting a replacement ballot ?

Look here, call here, all will be solved.

https://www.warrencountyvotes.com/

Oct '20

My wife was sent a ballot with her maiden name even though she's registered properly with her married last name. No excuse for mistakes like that. She tries to call in to get it fixed but no one answers and you can't leave a message. Will probably be stuck going to a polling station to fill out a ballot. This paper ballot voting is a joke. If you can go to the store and touch a touch screen at a self checkout, you can vote by machine. This election is going to a court battle.... ridiculous...

Metsman Metsman
Oct '20

Look at SD link to warrencountyvotes.com
Scroll down that page and there’s a list of all 11 drop box locations

Local Gal Local Gal
Oct '20

Just called the elections office. Picked up in 3 rings. You can email too. In the past, response has been amazingly fast.

I am sure they are very, very busy, but as far as I can tell, open for business.

There is also a fax.

If still having issues, there is the provisional vote at the polling place.

Oct '20

My wife any myself never received our mail in ballots, not that I would want to do that after the occurrences of the last time.....

She has messages out to the clerk, no call backs as of yet, going on two weeks

Darrin Darrin
Oct '20

needtovote

Where are you located?

SD's link works for Warren County. If you have a Hackettstown address, but actually live and vote in Morris County, you need to use a drop box in Morris County.

The one in Hackettstown itself (for any Warren County voters) is in front of the Hackettstown Municipal Building. I saw a post on the Nextdoor app that there was a drop box recently installed in front of the Allamuchy Municipal Building too.

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '20

Yes Phil D. I used the Allamuchy Municipal Bldg drop box

Local Gal Local Gal
Oct '20

Darrin, hard to understand. First, I thought you had decided to go to the polls after your primary experience, so why do you care? And what is your state of residence, I thought you were PA?

I have contacted the WC Elections office a number of times since I had the similar primary issue as you and always got a speedy response. Always got to the odfficial I wanted to. Yesterday, I just tested the phone, they answered in three rings. Just strange you can’t a response.

Even if you go to the polls, it easier using an actual ballot than a provisional one probably.

Oct '20

How/where can you confirm that a ballot cast in the FedEx drop box has been collected? I checked my voter.svrs.nj.gov account, but that didn't appear to be one of the available selections.

ianimal ianimal
Oct '20

Email em, they will say. But I bet it’s with the mail in status. Same with mail in that you bring to polling booth. That’s where the drop box versions end up status wise.

Takes a few days, or it did in the beginning.

Oct '20

I drop mine of on Saturday. Was marked as received today. When my status changes to accepted I will then know my vote has been recorded. Or will I??

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Oct '20

Stranger, It is my understanding that there is no difference in going to the poll or mailing in a ballot, you will just fill out a paper ballot at the poll, so why not fill it out early and just drop it off at the poll.

Additionally I am warren county NJ, just own property in PA, I don't reside there

With mail in how can you be sure that your vote was actually counted? Just like they told me after sending me a letter that my vote did not count...oh don't worry....your vote counted....bull!

Darrin Darrin
Oct '20

Ianimal: How/where can you confirm that a ballot cast in the FedEx drop box has been collected?

The FedEx box? Not one of the places to mail a ballot so difficult to find out where it ended up I would htink

4catmom 4catmom
Oct '20

If you fill out a paper ballot at the polls, it will be a provisional ballot. Not the same thing as a mail in ballot. Provisional ballots are counted last and only if necessary.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '20

Darrin: it depends. If you bring your mail in ballot to the poll, it’s mail jn. If you don’t, they give you a provisional. You can do either.

If you fed ex, I think if they get it, it’s a mail jn vote.

There are three types tracked; mail in that includes usps, drop, and I think mail in handed in at the polls, and I think mail in delivered by fed ex or pony express. Then provisional which are blank (ballots you fill in your name) ballots you can get at the polling places and then votes — which would be entered like last year which won’t happen this year so no vote will be counted in that status.

So I think status will be shown this year as provisional or mail in. My drop box vote was counted as mail in —- guaranteed.

Darrin, at some level, no one knows whether any votes count, counts twice, or counts for the wrong guy. At another level, I am confident it will be painfully obvious to the casual observer who wins and the exact number will be somewhat irrelevant. I mean you just don’t need to count how many stones are in a landslide. You know it’s a landslide.

Oct '20

Only if necessary?

They are counted last to simplify precluding a mail jn ballot and provisional ballot being cast by the same person. So, they match previsional names against mail in names before they count.

I can’t imagine “only if necessary” unless the number of provisionals is so low that no way can they affect the outcome of every election from the county to rhe country. Didn’t see that caveat in the description.

Oct '20

If you just read the information from the Board of Elections it's not hard to understand how it works.

There is a hard deadline of Nov 10 for all ballots to be received by mail. Provisional ballots are counted on the 11th. All ballots deemed valid are counted, no exceptions. It's not a matter of if they need it or not. The ballots have a lot more than just national offices, they have to be counted for local races too.

Voting by mail is easy. I mean you really need to be not so with it if you find this difficult. I tracked my ballot arrived safely as expected. The only thing easier would be online. But by all means stand on line if you want. But just vote and stop bitching about the process.

steve steve
Oct '20

@GC "If you just read the information from the Board of Elections it's not hard to understand how it works."

Why would anyone do that when you can just reads HL and get a bunch of biased info that will get you even more confused????

After what happened last time I just do not trust the system....why is it not computerized? I want a spot to see that my mail in ballot counted and who I voted for before I believe any of this system.

How are people tracking their ballot? Paying to ship it with tracking or is there actually a option to do this, first I am hearing of this....

Darrin Darrin
Oct '20

4catmom, that was just a joke because the ballot drops resemble a FedEx box (-;

ianimal ianimal
Oct '20

Darrin - Go to this state website and create an account. That's how you track your ballot.

https://www.nj.gov/state/elections/vote-track-my-ballot.shtml

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '20

I signed up on the website that Calico posted. Dropped my ballot in the dropbox at town hall on Stiger St. on Monday. By last night, it showed that it was received on Wednesday. Easy to vote, and easy to track that my ballot was received.

summerrain1 summerrain1
Oct '20

Point is to keep checking; if rejected a do-over might come by mail and thus thus covid slowdown rub. Got me on primary, but was my delay, not the mailman’s. This time I am planned, prepared, and ready thanks to WC Elections people and websites. I feel confident all will work. Has so far.

Oct '20

Thank you so much Calico!

Darrin Darrin
Oct '20

Put mine in the mail Thursday , it appeared as received on the Track my Ballot website on Tuesday .The law was changed to start counting 10 days before November 3rd so when the ballot status changes from received to accepted you'll know it was counted .

97XBAM 97XBAM
Oct '20

You're welcome, Darrin.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '20

So... "Mail-In Ballot History" is where the confirmation will eventually appear?

ianimal ianimal
Oct '20

correct inanimal. Under Mail in Ballot history it will tell you when they recieved your ballot. Mine says they got it on Tuesday the 13th after I dropped it in the ballot box in town on Monday the 12.

Jim L Jim L
Oct '20

Holly Mackey, the Warren County clerk, put out this video on FB today.

https://www.facebook.com/WarrenCountyClerk/posts/1535911789926335

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '20

My husband received his ballot 2 1/2 weeks ago, but I never received mine. I called The Board of Elections office to inquire about my ballot, they said I should've received it. They sent a second ballot out..still no ballot.

I called them today and they told me to come in and get my ballot.

I will go tomorrow. I wanted to hand them our completed ballots anyway.

I just don't get what's going on with the mail? I'm still getting my regular mail...primarily bills.

Positive Positive
Oct '20

Should be there ianimal. Dropped off Tuesday, waiting for online confirmation. I am sure they are inundated at this point so hopefully next week...

LOL! Not even 30 minutes after posting, my ballot arrived. Mailman was late today

Positive Positive
Oct '20

Well then complete it as soon as you can. The more we get in early the less chaos the day of.

So strange, Tried to make an account on tracking site. Says account already active with my name and user name, but if I click forgot user name, none of the email addresses I have are identified. I never made an account, back to square one for me!

Darrin Darrin
Oct '20

Darrin - Call the Warren County Board of Elections. I had trouble making an account back in August. No matter which info I entered DL#, SSN or voter ID#, the system could not find any record of me. I called the Board of Elections and the woman I spoke to there was extremely helpful and I was able to make an account.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '20

For all you know, this may explain much Darrin. You never know. I agree with Calico, and for the first time will not say for the first time, this time ---- call them. And remember, when they don't answer. They always pick up for me. Then look over your shoulder :>)

Oct '20

In other news, I know someone who is not registered to vote, yet received a mail in ballot.....

Darrin Darrin
Oct '20

@Darrin Only active registered voters in the state should receive a mail-in ballot. Would be interesting to know how the person came to receive a ballot.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Oct '20

"I know someone who is not registered to vote, yet received a mail in ballot....."

yea more liking "I know someone who didn't even know they were a registered voter". They probably didn't realized they check a box to register to vote when filling out their driver's license years ago and just never voted before.

Jim L Jim L
Oct '20

Jim,

Wrong.....they called to check that and they are in fact NOT registered to vote

I had thought the same thing at first too, but being curious themselves they fact checked the situation

Darrin Darrin
Oct '20

Probably would pass the validation/verification phase.

Oct '20

Some political mail looks like a ballot, but is not. No matter what they say, I suspect that is the case!

maja2 maja2
Oct '20

I got ballots for kids who live and vote in other states; don’t think they would validate.

Oct '20

They know what a mail in ballot is maja, her husband received one too who IS registered to vote

Jeeze, can't people just accept the fact that this DOES happen?

Darrin Darrin
Oct '20

Normalcy & confirmation bias are terrible things.... people don't WANT to believe anything could be "wrong" with mail-in voting...

Oct '20

Correct JR....I made sure I was posting factual info and in the world of HL all I get is people trying to fact check me.....it happened...accept it!

Darrin Darrin
Oct '20

I just confirmed got a couple for kids registered, payong taxes, in other states.

That’s still a long way from being validated, verified, and counted.

Oct '20

well to be fair Darrin, your post more is hearsay information than factual. It would be factual if the person posted it herself (even better if under oath or provided proof) but you saying " you know someone who" is hearsay testimony. To give you an example, its Just like at the LUB meeting when the witness testified that his engineer told him they don't need DOT approvals" And the LUB attorney labeled that as "hearsay". Someone telling you something and then you passing that information along is considered hearsay in the court of law. and yes trust me i know HL is far from the court of law, lol.

The problem with this election is we are going to hear a lot of " I know someone" or "i heard that ..." and its going to be hard to determine what is fact or what is not. Now maybe she is unregistered and got a ballot, highly unlikely, but let's say its true. The odds of that vote actually counting are very slim since that vote needs to be linked to a registered voterID # which she doesn't have. So yes they may be one offs stories like your friend but they should be resolved once the votes get counted and start being applied to exact voterID #s. The issue will come down to how many votes get rejected due to non matching signatures, that is where the errors are likely to occur. Dead people, non registered, dublicate votes won't be a big issue.

Jim L Jim L
Oct '20

I get what your saying Jim L, and I know what SD is saying, but why are we so posed to prove each other wrong all the time is my question? Seems to be getting worse and worse everywhere, not just HL. Everything is an argument, and someone can't just make a statement without having to defend their statement multiple times, a little ridiculous honestly

Would you like a sworn testimony from the lady who received the ballot? :->

Darrin Darrin
Oct '20

I have a strong suspicion that all of this early voting will render these arguments moot.

Stymie Stymie
Oct '20

I'm registered but haven't received a ballot. Maybe that person got mine. :-)

Because Darrin more now than ever misinformation is being passed along on social media that yes we should question the validity of the information we see.

And I’m not questioning your integrity but what’s to say the information you received is accurate and you are unknowingly passing along misinformation.

Jim L Jim L
Oct '20

I am not saying you’re wrong. I am saying that kids who were once registered here, but are clearly registered, with drivers licenses, and having voted, in other states, got ballots here. One is over a decade moved from NJ.

So I have mo issue with ballots to unregistered people going out. It’s actually fairly easy to be fevisteted and not know it; registering can be linked to many other things.

He should try the same suggested site to see what it says.

But, in my case, I don’t think these kid ballots would be verified, validated, or counted.

I think we more agree than disagree and that’s what’s wrong with America. We can’t even tell anymore. (Just kiddin)

Oct '20

" but what’s to say the information you received is accurate and you are unknowingly passing along misinformation."

The fact that I trust my friend enough to jeopardize MY integrity by posting the information they told me on this site, that's what.....

This isn't a friend of a friend, this is someone I have know for 10 years and work with every single day. I have no reason to doubt them, and they have absolutely no reason and no personal gain to make up a BS story. They could care less about politics, they just found it strange.

If I even had the slightest suspicion it was false, I would not be posting it here.

Darrin Darrin
Oct '20

@JD2: there are active and inactive voters. You could have registered but are now inactive in which case a mail in ballot would not have been sent automatically.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Oct '20

Edge, in my case I'm definitely active - I voted in the primary earlier. I'll scare up a ballot, from the County Clerk probably.

As to inactive status, I'm curious as to the criteria.

My question is, if the person is not registered, how did the Election Board even know that person existed or had a correct address for that person?

Oct '20

@JD2 nj.com wrote:

What about inactive voters?

You are considered an inactive voter if county election mail was sent to you but returned to election officials as undeliverable by the postal service, indicating you may have moved. These voters won’t automatically get a mail-in ballot. Instead, you can contact the county to request one or vote using a paper provisional ballot at a polling place on Election Day.

The state won’t take inactive voters off the rolls unless there are two consecutive federal election cycles during which the voter does not vote.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Oct '20

What a mess. To those saying “what’s the big deal? They been doing mail-in voting for years!” NO THEY HAVE NOT. Absentee ballots and mass mailings of ballot to anyone who’s registered are NOT the same thing. In the past, you had to REQUEST and absentee ballot and jump through a few hoops to get one. These are being sent without any request. It’s so obvious this was a ploy to disrupt the voting process in the democrats favor.

Consigliere
Oct '20

No reason at all is required in NJ to get an absentee ballot . My reason at the time over 10 years ago was the seemingly always broken touch screens which made even short lines a long wait when only one touch screen was in use . But they never asked at all , I just printed the request form from the county website then mailed it in and I was registered for mail in voting .

The ones being sent out now are to avoid spreading the flu in the middle of a worldwide pandemic . Especially for older voters and people with health issues who can get also the flu from an asymptomatic younger person picking up the virus at a crowded poll site .

97XBAM 97XBAM
Oct '20

Actually New Jersey is voting by mail this year, so everyone will receive a vote by mail ballot!! Or you can go vote in person, but you will receive a paper ballot to fill out! They are not using voting machines this year because of the pandemic!!! Many states have been voting by mail for years..And have no problems!!! The only people that are trying to suppress voting is the Republicans!!! They are really trying to make it hard for people to vote!! And it’s against the law!!! They should be scared !! It’s gonna be a blue wave

Havaclue 17 Havaclue 17
Oct '20

Sorry Consig, been voting by mail for years, simple form, no hoops, not absentee, by mail. That’s how I know the validation and verification rules got tougher starting with the primary, could see the difference after all these years.

Sure, more by mail this year, but that was true in the primary, last year, the year before.

Need to move to internet, matter of fact, I think legislators should hold issue votes on the internet. What’s wrong with instant?

Oct '20

Article on issues with mail in voting tracking app and to deal with it:
https://www.nj.com/news/2020/10/njs-mail-in-ballot-tracking-system-is-glitchy-voters-say-heres-how-you-can-deal-with-it.html

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Oct '20

"Need to move to internet, matter of fact, I think legislators should hold issue votes on the internet. What’s wrong with instant?"

Computer hacking by Russia and other foreign countries ? I had my identity stolen 4 years ago and I still don't know exactly how it happened only that the 2 cards hacked didn't have the then new security chip , so I'm guessing my wallet was scanned at some point . Computer or cell phone voting is just a very very bad idea .

97XBAM 97XBAM
Oct '20

Two factor authentication good enough for MasterCard, good enough for me. There are ways to assure security.

Oct '20

There must be a paper trail in elections . The 2004 elections where it was alleged electronic voting machines were tampered with to give so many votes for the other candidate for one vote for another is all the proof anyone should need .The last time I voted on touch screen I asked if I could get a paper confirmation and was told no , that little cash register ribbon thing in the enclosed machine is not for you to see . I'll be go to H.E. double toothpicks if I trust that answer . And I'm sure MasterCard has never been hacked LOL !

97XBAM 97XBAM
Oct '20

Well, you got alleged on your side.

Like we aren’t being hacked today.

Like paper means it’s secure or even more secure. Can you say dangling chad? That was paper and they couldn’t count them and many blamed a hack job starting with the printer....

Not only are there ways to assure the electronic vote, once set up we could vote on Congressional issues and referendums too at the speed of light instead of not at all.

It is funny though, people against electronic, against mail in, against provisional, against the drop box —-who says Hackettstown ain’t diverse?

I think some things we can all agree on: those pink sidewalks got better looking with age and the hanging plant watering guy rules!

Oct '20

Hanging chads and dimpled chads were caused by poorly maintained voting machines . I guess some of those poll workers thought those little rectangles from the punch card just disappeared like magic and didn't fill up the catch box underneath which should have been emptied after each election and checked before the next election started .

The politicians would never let the public vote on every single issue , why do you think the Founding Fathers came up with the electoral college ? It was in part because they didn't trust the people to vote the right way 100% of the time . They feared the public wasn't informed on the issues as much as they should be and could have the individual state electors change the outcome if need be . That's one of the reasons - others are mentioned in the link below .

https://www.history.com/news/electoral-college-founding-fathers-constitutional-convention

97XBAM 97XBAM
Oct '20

I so agree about founding fathers not desiring to be at the mercies of the fads and moods of the public. Likewise the electoral college, as freaky as it is, assures all states equal in vote rather than most people win. If we went to popular vote, no candidate would visit the heartland, not enough votes. NYC, LA, and other population centers would be the political focus. Likewise, the nuclear option ends the filibuster where one man can make his issues known as long as he can stand. Slowing the wheels of government is a founding principal ; I’m all for it.

But many “hacks” of the 2000 election from electronic failures to paper failures with conspiracies ranging from memory makers to printers adding chad friction. Was it orchestrated?

Still think digital could be as safe as electronic and safer than paper. But agree that letting people vote on issues would raise the founders ire. Again, let the legislators cast the vote that counts but be able to see what voters think, digitally.

Heck, it’s a great place to start to make everything digital secure. That would be a great thing.

Oct '20

Here here Stranger!

Stymie Stymie
Oct '20

So tried everything and cannot get into my account on the website:

https://www.facebook.com/WarrenCountyClerk/posts/1535911789926335

It says an account already exists with my info. Tried resetting password, comes to no email that I have.

I called both the clerk and the board of elections, both were super nice, but both said the same thing....the site is run by the state and they cannot assist with it. I explained that the site says to call them with issues, and they said they have no idea why they would put that there, they do not run the site, the state does.

Seems like the best option is to just call to track my ballot....

Darrin Darrin
Oct '20

You know, I tried, I cried, and I cancelled. I can not find who ya gonna call, votebuster. Frankly, I would start at the top of the Department of State, Tahesha Way, Esq., she ultimately owns it and, I swear, I can not find a lower level to even call.....

Second ---- I would ask the local clerk/board of elections, what your status is. Might be a good chance, even if you can't see it, they can. So even though they can't fix it, them might be able to see it? (you probably already did this, but I was amazed they could see my signature, which I can't.)

Oct '20

Darrin, I'm not on FB but use this to get into my account on the state's website:

https://www.nj.gov/state/elections/vote-track-my-ballot.shtml

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Oct '20

I am curious as to what others experience has been. My ballot was marked received on the 14th but not "accepted" yet.

here's what I found in part: PLEASE BE ADVISED: A voter's ballot status won’t be changed to "Accepted" or "Rejected" until after the certification of the Election, on November 20th.

4catmom 4catmom
Oct '20

Mine was marked received on the 20th but not changed to accepted yet either.

Jrsemom Jrsemom
Oct '20

Counties are allowed to begin counting mail in ballots 10 days before Nov 3. Mine is also showing received.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Oct '20

Mine is also Received, but not yet Accepted. It does show my Primary election ballot as Accepted, meaning my ballot in the Primary was counted. I'm guessing 4catmom is correct in what she read or understood on the website. I didn't go that far into it to look.

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '20

I'm hopeful that if for some reason it is not accepted, I have the opportunity to cast a provisional ballot on election day.

Yes Greg - If not 'Accepted' by Nov 3rd, I'm going to vote via the provisional ballot to make sure my Vote is counted (recorded = accepted).

There's nothing wrong with that. They caused the confusion (lack of trust) to unjustly expect me to wait "until after the certification of the Election, on November 20th." to know if my vote counts?!?

No foul doing both. The rules say if they (finally) find and accept both ballots, it says they will simply just count the original ballot over the provisional one. No fabrication, manipulation nor ill intention doing so. Just exercising my right to make sure my vote counts. Thx for the heads-up about the NJ Division of Elections not recording which ballots they are accepting until November 20th.

aol123@aol.com aol123@aol.com
Oct '20

They are checking ballots before election day for signature matching so you can cure the problem This is on https://www.warrencountyvotes.com/ :

This is the Cure Letter and Envelope that will change your ballot from “conditionally rejected” to
“Accepted” if your signature did not match what was on file.
THIS IS A VERY IMPORTANT PIECE OF MAIL. If you receive it you MUST return it for your vote to count.
If you do not return it, your vote will be rejected!!!
Keep an eye out in the mail for this letter AFTER you turn in your ballot. There is a timeframe for
acceptance so the sooner you return your ballot the better!

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Oct '20

I believe ballots will only show received and the date received and will not show accepted until the election is certified.

Weather Buff Weather Buff
Oct '20

OTE +1

This is why my primary vote was ultimately rejected, not to to compliance, but due to time. IOW --- I got the correction in, just late because I was c19-waiting on my mail. This time, I am listening to you and "THIS IS A VERY IMPORTANT PIECE OF MAIL. If you receive it you MUST return it for your vote to count."

Question: do you think we can drop-box these corrections? I am guessing yes. While 10% or more are rejected, signature and time are the main reasons. However, signature might have only been .3% on the last primary vote.

https://www.njspotlight.com/2020/06/nj-voters-get-chance-to-fix-signature-problems-on-mail-in-ballots-at-least-for-july-primary/

https://www.northjersey.com/story/news/politics/elections/2020/10/12/nj-mail-ballot-rejected-due-to-signature-what-to-do/5966824002/

So, check that mail, the rejection should come quick, and most often it will be for signature, the check of which has become more strict over the past few elections. Also, for the seniors amongst us, if your on-file signature was done 20 or 30 years ago, good chance your current signature won't match. Time and age, darn it.

Good luck and happy voting!!

Oct '20

“ Sorry Consig, been voting by mail for years, simple form, no hoops, not absentee, by mail.“ -SD

My point is, you’ve had to request that option. Ballots weren’t simply mailed to every person that was rEgistered to vote. Also, I’m speaking nation-wide. While it’s true some states have had mail-in voting for years, other states are taking their first stab at it, and it ain’t purty.

Consigliere
Oct '20

Eh..,,not really. It was pushed to me so I said, sure, and returned it. So, I guess I requested , but really, I just responded.

Like 31 states have the mail in option; have for years. Five states have mandatory.

It ain’t gonna be purty because the USPS got gutted to the point that NO ONE should mail in at this point. Only a 50% on time in many places. Between the mail delays and SCOTUS rulings on validation timing, it might not make it now. Find a drop box.

There will be more obstructions thrown out and that will be the bigger ugliness than accounting and counting the votes.

But basically if we have to wait a day, a week, a month, for the answer - sure, ok, fine by me. It’s not a snafu for the largest vote ever and taken during a pandemic to take longer does not seem that strange. And saving a few old people from going to the polls is a good thing too.

Like I said, mail in, drop box, polling booth if you must, all seem relevant and safe to me. More people able to vote the better. Like to add internet too.

Oct '20

Re: New vote by mail law

From the Warren County Clerk's office.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '20

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.