How can I get my tile floors and grout clean?

Any advice or tricks or recommendations for a professional service that cleans kitchen tile and grout well? I've tried numerous online suggestions with minimal results. I had Stanley Steamer a few years ago and from I remember it didn't look much better after they were done.

I use a toothbrush and a strong mix of bleach and water.
I do a small section at a time.
Works for me.

Stymie Stymie
Oct '18

spray Nine and a stiff brush..

steven steven
Oct '18

Peroxide and a stiff brush....

Candace joseph Candace joseph
Oct '18

My bathroom floor tiles have a residue from the overspray of hairspray. I have tried bleach as well as many commercial cleaners and nothing works. Dirt sticks to the spray on the floor and looks horrible. Any suggestions?

Parental Unit Parental Unit
Oct '18

It's tricky to work with, but you can try muriatic acid. Follow the instructions carefully! It can be tough on skin, and the fumes can be noxious.

You can easily Google some instructional videos. Mix some with about 4 to 5 equal parts of water, and apply/scrub the tiles and grout with one of those green scrubbing pads, then rinse. It works on soap scum, stains, etc. And it works differently than typical tile cleaners, because it dissolving the problems, rather than just getting the gunk to come off. But, it should not be used as a regular cleaner, because it can eventually erode the grout. When it's all clean, consider applying a commercial grout sealer.

Be SURE to try it in an inconspicuous area, first!

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
Oct '18

my new go to is Barkeeper's Helper - the spray - seems to clean everything - countertops, stove tops - may well work on this.....

4catmom 4catmom
Oct '18

Bar Keeper's Friend is the actual name. I suggest baking soda and white vinegar and a stiff brush.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '18

Parental Unit-I had the same problem, sticky hairspray buildup, nothing worked...until I saw this fix! I changed it up a little from what I read... I put water in a spray bottle and sprayed the area. Sprinkled BORAX over the area and sprayed again with water. Let set for a few minutes, then used my Spin Brush on it. Amazingly it came right up. I have linoleum floor in bathroom. Let me know if it works for you.

Bentley
Oct '18

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser..... Cleans everything!

charmer charmer
Oct '18

try mixing a paste of 1 cup baking soda, 1/3 cup hydrogen peroxide, 1 tablespoon Dawn dish detergent. apply to grout joints, let sit about 15 min. take a brush and scrub the joints and your tile. Clean the floor with clean water and a sponge, then damp mop with more clean water and let it dry. take a soft cloth and wipe off any residue, if any.
your grout will look almost brand new.
It's cheap and works extremely well.
good luck

Tom S Tom S
Oct '18

I don’t know the name, but found a “magic powder” at home despot that not only did the trick to match new restoration work. Much arm strength needed and no way I could find to “mechanize” that.

Would still use before I replaced though.

Good tile, and only tile, type store might help. One in blairstown, Rt 22 below Clinton.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Oct '18

Oxy spray is probably a bit better than just peroxide. It's got a detergent as well as the bleach.

Magic Eraser = today's steel wool. Be careful with that.

Steam is a good way to accomplish this. There are concentrated steam cleaning gadgets that can clean almost anything. (With varying degrees of power).

Electric Bear Electric Bear
Oct '18

I wish I could find a powerful steam cleaner. The last two were worthless.

They've become just like the vacuums that promise to pick up pet hair; I've lost count of how many of those I own.

Courtney1
Oct '18

You can go with a professional cleaner but over time this sometimes just doesn't get the result you're looking for.
What I recommend to clients in this situation is grout paint. You can actually pick whatever color you want, it's cheap and all you need is a little time! Deep clean your floor first and then just apply as per the instructions. I completed my main bathroom in about an hour and then sealed it with grout sealer and the floor came out looking brand new and only cost me $10.00:)
Google images on before and after pictures for grout paint.
Hope this helped.

Erika Hammonds Erika Hammonds
Oct '18

Just cleaned the grout on the bathroom floor,7 cups water, 1/2 cup vinegar,1/3 cup lemon juice,1/3 cup baking soda, which should go in first,spay tile/ grout, let sit for about a hour, use brush on grout. the grout came out great. looks new, no nasty fumes.

Thank you to everyone for their suggestions. I'm ready to try a few.

My Furnace exploded and that rust water ran all out over my basement tile. I can't get the rust off the tile or grout. Any tricks for the rust water?

Thanks

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.