Stay at Home Moms who need extra income

From what I am hearing...it is almost as expensive today for Mothers with youngsters still at home to send them to preschool or daycare as it is for them to go back to work. I am thinking of another way for these Moms to bring in some income and still be able to be at home during the day and that would be to sell items on consignment"for us oldtimers or others who really do not know much about taking pictures and selling on the internet. They could sell these items on Facebook or Craigslist or wherever they please. Owners of the items could get together a box or several things...have a agreement typed up for the seller of what they would like to get for the item or items..and what the sellers percentage of profits would be..Take a picture of the item they have and advertise them for sale.., sell it to someone and have a arranged spot to meet or at their own home for pickup. At the end of a certain period of time, if they did not sell, just return them to the owner and go from there. It's a thought...and....if anyone is interested in doing this ..please message me as I am ready to downsize!!!

joyful joyful
Sep '18

Well, somebody thought of that idea years ago, but all the "i sell your stuff on ebay" businesses and store fronts pretty much tanked. If you think you are going to find someone to do all the work for you and only expect to pay them, say, 10% of the selling price, you're pretty much kidding yourself. Those businesses charge (or charged) something like 40% of the selling price, plus there are the ebay fees if you go that route to pay, shipping materials, etc. It's a nice idea, but if I'm going to do the work for someone else, I'd want way more than 10%, which makes the whole exercise hardly worth it for you.

Might be doable at a fair price if no store front were involved? Items remain with the seller. Someone could just go to the seller, snap some pics, chat about pricing, and then do the posting.

I think part of the service would need to be educating the seller about opening a paypal account though. Payment would be the tricky part.

Seller would be the one to package and ship the item.

hktownie hktownie
Sep '18

Most people that are willing to do the packaging and shipping are willing to do the whole thing. It's one of the biggest hassle factors of the whole process. Once you accept the shipping part, then it's not so hard to arrange payment out of the processors account. The biggest downside from trying to do this as a business is having to charge even when the item doesn't sell. You can't do the work of prep and listing and not get paid. It's a big reason why these type businesses have not survived.

hktownie, taking the photos is the easy part, haaa. If the seller is going to assume all the other responsibility, why pay somebody to take and post a pic?

Anyway, I truly wish there were a good way to make money from home, but there really doesn't seem to be.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.