Fun Harvest Sides With Dips

For all those vegans out there, try this: Clean and cut into small pieces fingerling or red potatoes, baby carrots, string beans, zucchini, crimini mushrooms, pearl onions, cherry tomatoes and hot peppers. Sprinkle all with extra virgin olive oil, coat with Knorr onion soup mix and roast at 350 degrees for I hour. For dipping, there is pesto (basil, garlic and chopped pine nuts), horseradish and sour cream (or tofu) sauce, plus apple and pear sorbet. Also, grilled fresh corn. For non-vegans there are chicken cutlets (recipe on another thread), and for desert there is tiramisu. Enjoy!

DannyC DannyC
Sep '18

DC --- great stuff, and for growing families, a great way to save money, heat the house, and have good snacks kids actually heat. People often don't realize how good these are, how good they smell while backing, and how much kids actually love this stuff (although mine could be weird, consider the source :>)

I might add that folks consider the msg in Knorr foods. Lipton too, although what's Pot Roast without it! Not that I have a big no-no there, but at this point I really notice. So if I can avoid, I do. Onion soup mix is easy to make, without msg.

I do similar "roasts" as I call them and have used just about any coating you can imagine: salad seasonings, any spice mixes, meat rubs, you name it ---- have not found one that doesn't work yet. Even use some sugary glazes, preserves-based, but that's another story :>)

Many times I just do cubed potatoes, no peel or dirty peel (fast, not perfect). With kids, I do a lot because they wave well.

I have sprinkled, sprayed and brushed the olive oil. Brushing and spraying seem to work best for me.

I do flip, with a spatula, half way through.

Tomatoes, I do alone. Someone here has a great roasted tomato recipe and I lost my copy so...….if you have one..... The best part of roasted tomato's is the shelf time in the fridge ---- it's like all winter long. Kids thought they were candy so they didn't last that long.

Give me a moment, DC, and I will post a few. Although most often, I just grab whatever rub/mix/seasoning is on the shelf that I want to get rid off :>) and fire away.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Sep '18

strangerdanger - Thanks for your suggestions, I take them all very seriously. Here is one recipe for onion soup mix: Onion powder (lots of it), garlic powder, finely chopped fresh basil and parsley, fresh lemon, lime and orange zest, cayenne, smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Should I add anything else? Or delete something? And yes, flip the veggies half way into roasting and pull out any that seem to be getting over cooked. Thanks again.

DannyC DannyC
Sep '18

Considering I am not in your cooking league when it comes to price and complexity, I appreciate that. I have not made onion soup, dry, yet. Yours looks great to me. I do make my own taco seasoning and the fact that mine is more expensive than store-bought makes me want to avoid reading the ingredients :>)

Don't use it for onion soup for vege roasts, too much other ensembles on my shelf and I try to use up whatever's there. I have a special like for McCormick Montreal Chicken, and yes, I use this on potato's and vege's. The Steak version is a bit overpowering.... Frankly, anything with some garlic, or some onion, is probably going to be good ---- you'll know. Sylvia's Soulful Seasoning works well too.

I have made up designations where what you are doing I call a "roast," however, the version where you mix first, I call a "toss." Sometimes I do the toss in a riplock.

Here's a special "toss" I do at T-giving:
4 cups peeled and cubed turnips
4 cups (5 medium) cubed, no peal, potatoes (Yukon Gold best, but anything goes)
2 apples, cubed, pealed (I have been adding more every year)
1 onion, diced
3 tbsp. olive oil
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1.5 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
1 tsp cayenne pepper
Salt n pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 425, Combine prepped veges in bowl
Mix olive oil, garlic, rosemary, cayenne, and salt/pepper in sauce bowl, add to veges and toss to cover
Place on prepared baking pan, bake for 1 hour, flipping half way

It's spicy, it's sweet and no one with say "I hate turnips," if you don't tell them.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Sep '18

I added turnips, summer squash, sweet potatoes, chick peas and snow peas to the "roast". It seems that almost any vegetable works if it is roasted with olive oil and seasonings, and enhances the flavors of all the others in the mix.

DannyC DannyC
Sep '18

Also tried broccoli and cauliflower florets, which came out even better than the other vegetables. The olive oil infused in and out of the florets and the seasonings with a little panko made a nice crisp on the outside.

DannyC DannyC
Sep '18

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.