Centenary Pool Closing

Centenary University has decided, with little warning, to permanently close its pool. Should this decision stand, it will come at great cost to the community. Many programs are in danger of being cut, including high school swim teams at West Morris Central, Hackettstown. and Warren Hills. The Sea Dragons swim team will be cut. Rec programs, the Warren County ARC, and programs for the military and police are in danger.

We are working to show the powers that be at Centenary what a loss to the community this would be. This decision would have the pool remain empty for this year while they make plans for what to do with the space. Instead, we should keep it open and give all of these programs a chance to survive at least this year and to get long term solutions in place.

We are asking that community members reach out to:
Dr. David Haney - President
haneyd@centenaryuniversity.edu
Denton Stargel - VP Finance/CFO
stargeld@centenaryuniversity.edu
Kerry Mullins - VP Student LIfe/Dean of Students
mullinsk@centenaryuniversity.edu
Please be respectful. Please tell your stories - from participation in programs to help from local lifeguards trained there. Help them see what a loss this will be.

Miike Miike
Jul '18

I imagine it’s a business/financial decision. Do the schools and other organizations pay to use it? Maybe the fee could be raised to cover the operational costs.

Music gal Music gal
Jul '18

Probably the same reason they sold the radio station...fewer students

Bug3
Jul '18

i am sure this is just a financial decision. Who should pay to keep the pool open if the school cannot afford it.

I would gather they have another use in mind for the space. Perhaps inquire about reviewing the 2,5, and 10 year long range strategic plan for the University if they have one. That is if it is public knowledge.

Both the University President and CFO were at this past town council meeting. They mentioned it costs the university $150k/ year to maintain the pool.

Jim L Jim L
Jul '18

Maybe they can apply for Green Acres Funds ;)

haha good one OP.
It's a real shame though, lots of great programs there. My Mom used to swim there for years.

Denis Denis
Jul '18

Residents should voice their anger. I am assume Centenary doesn't pay property taxes, but as a good "neighbor" offers value to the community with things such as the pool. Do they offer enough value otherwise?

Unfortunately, its their pool and they can do as they wish, just as they did with the radio station. This region screwed up by never obtaining a YMCA or some type of community facility. Centenary does not have to provide a pool for the local high schools and community

Deviljet
Jul '18

The pool definitely does not cost $150k to maintain- I would love to see documentation showing that. It is interesting to learn the president and other members of Centenary went to a town meeting to discuss the cost of the pool- while the people who actually use the pool were blindsided by the announcement of the closure. Centenary may be having financial problems- but it does not start and end with the pool. Several options were discussed with the college to keep the pool OPEN and running without a loss- these options were all dismissed. Community members, swim teams, etc. pay thousands to use this pool as it is the only indoor pool in our community. Pool has meant so much to so many people for decades- it is a real shame that the college will soon learn that removing this facility is a huge mistake. The college has showed little loyalty, in the last few years, to people and programs that have made Centenary thrive. There may be some underlying or hidden agendas as to why the pool is closing but we may never know the exactly reason- it certaintly is NOT due to the cost of keeping the pool open.

@Deviljet - you may not be aware of the trade offs the pool provides to the local community. Centenary does not own Tannery field- which is conviently located right at the entrance of the campus. Since Centenary does not own that field - students were unable to park in the primo parking spots located on THEIR CAMPUS. Centenarys pool offered pool time on weekends for Hackettstown residents to come swim in exchange for Centenary to be able to use that parking. I guess those parking spots are not important to the college and their students will suffer the consequences when they go to park there and receive a ticket. Yes- centenary does not have to provide for the community but when the college has had long standing deals with the community it will make community members angry.

List could go on..

I learned a long time ago- nothing is forever....

I only feel strongly about this because I am a student at Centenary- I was not informed that the pool was going to close until the “final decision” was made. None of my friends at Centenary knew this either. We were not polled, no one asked our opinion, no one cares that students still have not been notified of this decision. My question is if they are cutting the pool out, what’s next?

Classof2020 Classof2020
Jul '18

June that was the reason the university came to town council because of the deal between the parking spots and the pool. They still need the spots

Jim L Jim L
Jul '18

Well for someone who works there I think that is a stupid idea for them to do. But that is just my opinion.

Jerseygirl1983 Jerseygirl1983
Jul '18

Maybe it's old and worn out

Bug3
Jul '18

Classof2020, get students together and protest!!

If its about parking, why don't they add a deck over their large lot? Or buy that commercial property on the other side of Grand. Win-win. College gets parking, and no more ugly tent sales :) Parking always seems to be an issue.

maja2 maja2
Jul '18

My guess is that part of the Athletics center is too dilapidated to fix — pool filtration and maintenance are awfully expensive — so CU might as well close it, fill it, and use it as a second gym. Which makes perfect sense if you don’t have the money to repair the pool. And extra parking spaces? Please Hackettstown. A community resource? Then let the town find the money for the upkeep. CU had other plans. That’s why everything was kept in the dark; they knew the local citizens would have a fit. Dr. Haney is no romantic — not when enrollments are down and there are bills to pay. Funny, the love/hate relationship that exists between little Htown and the college. But life goes on ...

Mr. Meaner Mr. Meaner
Jul '18

@Bug3 the pool looks essentially the same as it did when it was built in the 60s. Anyways.. thought hackettstown was known for its historics.. great to see hundreds of people banning together to save the pool- I’m rooting for the pool to remain open!

@Classof2020 - perhaps you and your friends should attend the next town hall meeting on this? Or schedule an appointment with the president to express concerns of the students- sad to see students who pay so much tuition to a university not be kept in the loop

Justsaying Justsaying
Jul '18

Curious as to what taxes Centenary pays to Hackettstown, my guess is zero.

There's a facebook group that started over the weekend
https://www.facebook.com/groups/KeepTheCentenaryPoolOpen/

Maxwell
Jul '18

@Mr. Meaner again if you look at pictures the pool remains essentially unchanged since it was built in the 60s. What year were you born- do you look the same as you did 60 years ago? Why do you assume the pool needs repairs? From what I heard the pool has been functioning fine..

Justsaying Justsaying
Jul '18

Second gym?! Again finding stuff about my college after the fact.. our school needs lots of things but a second gym is not one of them. The gym we have now is barely used by students. If they want to make the athletic building better they should keep the pool (what college doesn’t have a pool??!?!!?) and stop getting rid of all of the coaches and other people just to save a buck.

Classof2020again Classof2020again
Jul '18

Yet the school sends out letters to fund raise for a baseball field that will never get built. There was so much graft from prior administrations. Past facilities department helped build a pool on a department head home property on the schools dime. It’s a shame but there are community colleges that are better for a solid education than Centenary. WNTI was the best product at the school and look what they did there.

Kevin Van Orden Kevin Van Orden
Jul '18

I swam in a pool at Douglass College that was from the 1920s. Kind of cool actually. Anything can be repaired. A college should have at least one pool. Especially when it becomes a University.

hktownie hktownie
Jul '18

I wonder what percentage of Long Valley/ Hackettstown students actually attend Centenary college.

You see the posts from WMC begging for the pool, but do they actually send their children there after they graduate high school?

Dodgebaal Dodgebaal
Jul '18

"Past facilities department helped build a pool on a department head home property on the schools dime" Kevin Van Orden.

That is a pretty strong statement to make. If it is accurate, I would say someone has some explaining to do.

"The pool definitely does not cost $150k to maintain"

Maybe not. That would be the cost to maintain one superintendent or principal. Without bennies, of course.

Plenty of school/government officials cost way more than that per year when you add in their golden health care benefits and pensions.

So you can actually compare a year's maintenance/benefit to an entire region to the salary of just one individual- funny when you think of it like that.

And, a dissenter as to the actual cost of the maintenance, so maybe even less than one employee.

Goes to show you just how expensive your govt employees really are...

Dodgebaal Dodgebaal
Jul '18

I guess the swim programs and such will need to use the town pool during the months it is in operation and look for another location other than to soon to be closed Centenary facility in the winter months. I am sure there must be another indoor pool facility somewhere in the area. I know the YMCA in Randolph has one.

I can't imagine it would be in the best interest of Hackettstown to enter into a shared services agreement with Centenary for the use of their pool as it benefits very few from town I would bet. In addition the town has a pool albeit available in just the warmer months.

That reminds me - who won the car raffle? I bought a $50 ticket and never heard if they awarded the Jeep. I wrote to them via email and Facebook, and received no replies.

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Jul '18

I'm still bitter over losing that really nice, substantial, albeit run-down, tennis backboard Centenary had. Taught tennis to a few kids there, it was great and now gone forever.

You can't use the town pool for what Centenary offered, an indoor pool. However, for the residential swim program in the colder months, we never saw many takers, the program was always ill-advertised and poorly managed. Was almost impossible to figure out dates, how to sign up, who to call. Almost like it didn't matter (or trying to go out of business).

While all things end, things come and go, starvation is still starvation and we had this nice filling activity and, from now on, we will go hungry. Whatever the reasons.

Too bad for Hackettstown on this one. We still have the theater. They invested and it seems to be doing well. If you haven't gone, you're missing a real treat.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Jul '18

@Dodgebaal I graduated from WMC and also attended Centenary- I went there with several people from my grade. There was also lots of people from other grades, as well. I know hackettstown high school has lots of students who go to Centenary too.

CentenaryAlumni CentenaryAlumni
Jul '18

@strangerdanger - Sounds like you never actually tried to sign up for any program. I worked at the pool for years and also did the sign ups for the programs once. There was so many people at the sign ups that I was overwhelmed and never did it again. Lots of community members used the pool everyday. Students would use the pool at night and throughout the day between classes. The hours for the pool were always posted on the website along with the programs. If you were actually interested in any program and couldn’t find info maybe you should have physically came into the pool- I used to explain the programs all the time to people. It’s laughable to say the pool was mismanaged when it has been successful for so many years and lots of people put a lot of hard work and effort into it. Pools built almost 60 years ago do not run themselves... perhaps management made it look too easy. “Trying to go out of business” - If the pool remains open- I challenge you to sit with the lifeguards for 1 week and see just how many people use the pool- you would be surprised at the amount- there could be a couple hundred people per day depending on what programs or activities are going on.

Jul '18

Another thing the school fails to realize is this is hurting the current students. The pool employs many students as lifeguards who will now be out of a job.

I only graduated a few years ago- but when I was a student we had the “writhing collab” which students worked at. That has since been closed and is being replaced with a Starbucks?

Greens beans cafe the coffee shop in the library (another place for students to work) is now gone.

Criminal justice students used to be able to work as security interns.. that program is gone now too.

In my letter to the school I will stress that the school needs to remember what they are all about.. they are a university helping shape the future of their students .. by taking away so many programs and jobs they are only hurting the current students.

Jul '18

As a Cent student and athlete I'd actually love to see that pool turned into something more athletes could take advantage of. Aside from the wrestling team, the only other students I see in there are few and far between. The weight room upstairs is laughably small, especially when more than two sports teams are trying to work out at the same time, PLUS students, some of whom just stand around gabbing or float around using the equipment incorrectly. And anyone who says it's never in use clearly doesn't go enough or at the right times. That place is almost always crowded. Not saying I don't feel bad about the pools loss to the community if it goes; I've lifeguarded there as a student worker for two years and have noticed how well it's been utilized by the town, especially the hs swim teams. However, if Cent TRULY means to get rid of its pool, perhaps expanding on a second gym or weight room wouldn't be a bad idea. More space for students and athletes, who take up a large majority of Cent's enrollment.

Centathlete
Jul '18

“I'd actually love to see that pool turned into something more athletes could take advantage of.“

When 8/10 Americans cannot even pass a basic-skills swim test, I’d say students should take advantage of the pool to learn a potentially life-saving skill. But you can’t learn to swim overnight and I’m sure that frustrates the “gotta have it now” generation

SiaP
Jul '18

"If you were actually interested in any program and couldn’t find info maybe you should have physically came into the pool- I used to explain the programs all the time to people." Yes, that's what we were told to do, that's what we did, that's what we told others to do. But listen to yourself, I think you said it all about "easy access."

It was Community Swim, there were a few regulars, and we went about 1pm in the afternoon, the sessions were all weekday.

It is our anecdote, our experience, and when someone like yourself explained "the system," we were OK. Did not mean to say "poor management" re pool care n maintenance, we would not have re-joined year-after-year in that case. I meant re the access issues noted above.

Think we both agree this is a nice resource, you add that they had the numbers, too bad they can't make it work. A real loss to the community, loss to student workers, and when I was in college --- couldn't beet a nice swim to get rid of those studying cobwebs. It was a gift from the college to Hackettstown --- I hope someone rethinks, rejiggers, and re-invests in the program but sounds like they didn't even get it one-more-try. And yes, we will call.

Jul '18

@SiaP

Didn't really appreciate the "generation" comment... not necessary. I actually agree that for those that can't swim, the pool is a great outlet to learn. But in my experience, most students don't want to spend their free time from classes, studying for classes, sports, and jobs down at the pool, even if it might benefit a few of them. And if they do, good for them, but not many seem to want to. Quite simply put, they might feel like they have better things to do with their time.

Centathlete
Jul '18

How can you call yourself a University if your institution cant afford a pool?

Bug3
Jul '18

I should clarify. Community Swim but lap swimming. Perhaps that's why a lower turnout. There were people, regulars, but not a crowd. FYI.

Jul '18

The water exercise classes are excellent and always full. The participants are loyal, many have been signing up for years. If the pool closes many people will be cut off from a great form of exercise. I do agree that the programs available to the town were never broadly advertised. The Web site was confusing to many and gave many people the impression you could only sign up if you were a Hackettstown resident. I hope they change their minds.

Ragdoll. Ragdoll.
Jul '18

Message was sent out that the pool will remain open until 03/31/2019. Thank you Centenary for your continued support of our community and allowing us to make alternative plans while the college plans for the future.

Thank you Thank you
Jul '18

Put a dome over the pool we already have. Get more Green Acres funds since we are already dancing with the devil.

What a punishment to the community and kids. We don’t have any other indoor pool nearby to be used for swimming sports. This would be a shame.

Esmer Esmer
Jul '18

Bug3

It's simple budgeting Students are not using it and they do not have a University Swim Team. Why spend all of that money? If a home owner has a pool in the backyard and their kids are not using it anymore they usually get rid of the pool instead of throwing away money. And Centenary is expanding in other areas on campus. The University has come a very long way over the years and will be improving even more today and in the future! CU has supported our community over the years and now it's time for all of us to support them with a positive attitude.

LittlePiglet LittlePiglet
Jul '18

I don't think Centenary is helped financially by the fact that it's reputation is very poor. I grew up here and I never, ever even considered applying to Centenary and I'm no Einstein. How can they attract students from across the country when they can't even get those from down the street?

Hackettstown and Long Valley should not be relying on an institution on such loose financial footing.

1988LJ 1988LJ
Jul '18

I had tried numerous times to get in touch with someone about swim lessons or open family swim without a response. We don't live in Hackettstown so we couldn't go. There are many ways they could keep it open as an added asset to the community but does not seem like there was much effort.

Htown Htown
Jul '18

Sorry Guys You have no Clue

LittlePiglet LittlePiglet
Jul '18

LP -- it is just sad to lose a resource for our student swim teams and our citizens. I understand money, too bad there can't be a win-win. And yes, I appreciate Centenary's commitment to the community, applaud their years of success and, if having some budget issues, trust they will come though fine. Still like to swim in the colder months.

I mean that old theater was a Legionnaire's epidemic waiting to happen, and, IMO, the quirky shows selected not much better. They doubled down, invested, the theater director lightened up, just a tad, and wow ----- what a venue, what a gem. I have seen all sorts of shows from students to off-Broadway and everyone of them grand. As I said, any Htowner who hasn't used this resource is really missing out.

Thank you, Thank you for telling us as the final date being 3.31.19. That means, CentenaryAlumni, you're up!!! Is there a place to discover the remaining programs, prices, and how to sign up? Or should we just email you from this forum? (careful what you ask for :>)

Jul '18

Now that some of the dust has settled and I’m out of popcorn, I’ll chime in briefly.

I would hope that those of us who live in Hackettstown or nearby and care about Centenary step up and support this institution. It’s easy to cast stones about Centenary’s shortcomings, past decision making, and leadership.

It’s even easier to set up a Facebook group, troll on here, and fire off emails to the leadership when there’s something you don’t like or feel like you’re being wronged.

Why don’t some of us email the President and ask how we can help and get involved? I like going to Centenary Stage, walking my dog through campus, and freeloading off the Hometown Holiday. But I could do better in sharing some of my time and talents because I have few treasures. Maybe there’s a community group or something already organized that I don’t know about. Anyway my two pennies.

SMH

"How can they attract students from across the country when they can't even get those from down the street? "

In all honesty, kids never want to attend the college or university they live closest to...even being in the same state they grew up in seems far too lame for many kids. Like all the students who keep Rutgers at the bottom of their list (even though it is a great school) while they wait for acceptance letters from inferior colleges out of state.

eperot eperot
Jul '18

For whatever it's worth I'll always be grateful Centenary offered free internet access to all Hackettstown residents when I was without power for a week after one of the bad storms. Keeping an online business going that week was real challenge, but that was a lifesaver.

Denis Denis
Jul '18

eperot, totally right. I didn't really even consider going to Rutgers. How foolish was I? Instead, off to private, out of state university that I will continue paying back for years to come.

Incidentally, Centenary had a recruiter at my office building yesterday. I'm not sure what they were recruiting for, maybe graduate or adult classes.

Tracy Tracy
Jul '18

Not too many out of state students attend rutgers... it just a boring state school ...schools like princeton and fdu bring in people

Bug3
Jul '18

No out of staters flocking to FDU. Very little housing as well.

10.4% of first year undergraduates at RU come from out of state... my guess is that most of those come from WAY out of state, like Asia.

https://newbrunswick.rutgers.edu/about/facts-figures

ianimal ianimal
Jul '18

So, did they give away the Jeep that the baseball team sold raffle tickets for?

Jul '18

https://centenarycyclones.com/news/2018/5/1/general-jeep-winner-selected-senior-day-bbq-highlight-season-finale-saturday.aspx

Yes Reggie they announced the winner at their doubleheader on May 5th

Jim L Jim L
Jul '18

So, how, when, where do you sign up.....or do you go to the pool and ask.....

Jul '18

That's the second time that someone sent me that link and it does not say that they awarded it. Unless i missed it. If so, please point that out to me.

I wrote to Scott at Centenary and also messaged them on Facebook but received no reply from either, and there has been no information on who won it or if it was actually given away.

Jul '18

Very suspicious Reggie. Johnson should be happy to tell you. Maybe there was small print that a minimum number of tickets had to be sold or no winner and the college keeps the money? But they should tell you.

maja2 maja2
Jul '18

It's on the university's website. Under news and press releases. Dated June 11.

Reggie what do you want? The actual name of the winner? Why? It clearly wasn’t you. Or are you suggesting they told everyone to come to the game because they were going to announce the winner but then never did? You really think that happened?

Jim L Jim L
Jul '18

"The winners of the new vehicle are Rochelle Makela-Goodman and Robert Goodman of Princeton. Makela-Goodman is a 1997 Centenary graduate and member of the University’s Board of Trustees."

I'm a bit surprised that anyone associated with the school was eligible to win. Often there is a disclaimer stating employees, family members and other associates of the organization holding the raffle etc are not eligible to win.

http://www.centenaryuniversity.edu/news/and-the-winner-is/

Greg my guess would be if they excluded anyone associated with the university from buying raffle tickets then they wouldn’t have sold many tickets. Good for the winner. Just remember to pay the taxes on it :).

Jim L Jim L
Jul '18

Thank you, Greg!

Now wondering when they will start constructing that blue field!

Jul '18

It wont be blue

Bug3
Jul '18

You're welcome Reggie Voter.

Jim, I figured that was the case. Good for them!

I had a friend who won a Jeep as well through a beer distributor back in the 1990's. He sold it prior to even seeing it- as he could not afford to pay the tax on it. He didn't mind since he had a company vehicle at the time. Besides cash always fits nicely in the wallet. LOL

As a former student at Centenary it was always obvious that there was 0 interest in what is best for students/community. Most colleges/universities care more about money, and Centenary is no different. They want to close the pool and not even inform their students? No problem there! Had an awful experience there aside from a handful of professors who showed some sort of interest in their students.

Centblows Centblows
Jul '18

Why not just build an enclosure over the existing municipal pool and make it year round?

you have an extra million dollars laying around to do that?

Jim L Jim L
Jul '18

Centenary cares about not paying taxes to Hackettstown.

Maybe we can use some of the new tax revenue from the wawa and quick chek to enclose the pool

Bug3
Jul '18

Maybe if Centenary put out grills it would encourage more pool use?

how is this surprising that centenary, like every other entity, wants to make money, and thinks they know how best to do that (or at least wants the opportunity to do it themselves)? why does anyone else think they know how to run it better?

ken e
Jul '18

Any other indoor pools around?

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Nov '18

Any new updates on the status of the pool now that the president of Centenary resigned?

JustAmk
Dec '18

I understand that the pool will be no longer at the end of March to finish, apparently for the last time, the High School swim season.

You are right, the President resigned. But word is that the CFO says "No, the pool must go.:" What do they know about community support and marketing. Perhaps the interim President might have other ideas.

Not sure what the High Schools are doing.

But if one was interested in telling Centenary how important this is to the community, or if perhaps our Town Fathers might help ------ certainly now is the time to take one last shot at saving a great place for exercise in Hackettstown.

Dec '18

FYI, rumor has it that there are now talks to keep it open for the sake of the students, athletics teams, and the community.

There's a petition that you can sign if you want to see the pool stay open.
https://www.change.org/p/hackettstown-community-save-centenary-universities-pool

MattUJ
Mar '19

This is a private company. This is not some munincipal pool . Since when does the public tell a private company what to do with there funds to support there private facilities.

Jdem +1

Private
Mar '19

Tried to sign the Petition, but it didn't work.

My Granddaughter swims there on the Sea Dragon team. As do many other kids. Hate to see it close.

Mom with kids Mom with kids
Mar '19

Private company? Kinda. As a nonprofit educational institution, they get many community/government perks. Also, many companies believe in community partnerships like M&M’s support of our Spring Festival. So we give them a street to name.

There is much community use of the pool. Apparently it and student usage doesn’t cover the costs. They also use an outsourced maintenance company which can be more expensive.

Bottom line; I don’t think anyone who wants to lobby for continuing our pool partnership with Centenary is out of place. My family has been giving them money to use it for years. Many school teams have been using it. They have been a great neighbor for like a century. I just hate to see a great community resource and community outreach go away.

StrangerDanger StrangerDanger
Mar '19

Does anyone know: Where does the Hackettstown High School Swim Team swim?

Bottom line StrangerDanger, Centenary doesn’t have a swim team. Makes absolutely no sense for the college to keep it opened. Perhaps the college has plans for the space that would actually benefit the tuition paying college students.

Outsider Outsider
Mar '19

More important, the students don’t use it.

I can understand a cost benefit assessment. And I understand the value of comminity PR. I just don’t like their conclusion and bet I could financially find viable, valuable alternatives. They invested in a playhouse when the existing one was a moldy piece of crap that any other regional playhouse topped. But they invested, changed their vision, marketed, and kept it open to the public. Matter of fact, I have yet to see a Centenary student in the audience, although I am sure they all go ;-)

Incidently, loved Enemy of the People, strange ending though.

So I say sign the petition. But I am not holding my breadth for it to work. Guess I need to put a roof over mine. Kidding.

Anyone have a conclusion on closest year-round pool?

Mar '19

The bottom line is Centenary enrollment keeps dropping thus they need to cut costs..the same reason they sold the radio station

Bug3
Mar '19

“The most recent freshman class is the second largest in eight years.” From Centenary for 2018-2019 year. Just saying. But yes, they are on the financial razor’s edge yet looking like they are emerging by cutting costs and raising revenues. Maybe…. Because they are non-profit, little hard to see P&L’s.

From my experience, and I have some, academics are hotbeds of politics and intrigue, catty amature politics at that. I believe that to be the case here, in spades.
Check out this articls and begin to read between the lines. https://www.dailyrecord.com/story/news/2018/11/01/president-resigning-budget-strapped-centenary-university/1843142002/

When I read between the lines I see a guy who turned the school around financially, made a lot of cost cutting moves, is building/built a new a baseball field raising $1.85M (investment?), worked to increase transition from community colleges, and then applied to be President of a college that certainly does not look like a giant promotion from his role at Centenary.

Not sure I see where a baseball field is a financial improvement or betterment to a pool. Last I checked, more people in the pool than on the field…… (anyone know if the Spring Festival is moving?).

You do the math but I say this guy either pissed someone off, saw the writing on the wall, and packed his parachute OR got pissed off working with these folks for some reason (like he couldn’t get what he wanted) and pulled his own ripcord. He had a new six-year contract at the time.

Replaced by a Trustee as interim President signaling that it’s probably his move pre-empting whatever he thought was about to happen. Lots of spin about his departure, that’s for sure. Just to make things spicier, the interim used to work at the departing President’s last location……

The interim took over 1/1 which was probably the best timing to save the pool. Being March, sounds like his plan is well underway with little thought of change. HOWEVER, if memory serves, there has already been on extension of the pool so on life support, but who knows --- if you believe there’s a chance, try the petition (if it is operable).

Like I have said, IMO, Centenary is a great Hackettstown neighbor. They give more than they receive from us (beyond the nonprofit perks). Nice vistas, students seem respectful, fantastic playhouse, buffet, and other things. With or without pool, I think it will still be a great neighbor. It’s just the pool is such a great community outreach that I know many people take advantage of that I hate to see it go because some chucklehead can’t figure out how to make a buck from an indoor pool (of course, students not using it does not help).

Great intrigue on the story though…..anyone got more skinny on that?

Mar '19

I agree with deviljet. Hackettstown screwed up when they let WaWa build in a perfectly great spot for a YMCA. Did we really need another convenience store? How many of those do we need. And yet another expensive “food store”. Just what we needed. I have tried to get an indoor pool and nice gym with track to no avail. Hey let’s build some more food stores lol

sunflower01 sunflower01
Mar '19

hmm.. so the WaWa is what is preventing Hackettstown from having a YMCA? .... some fascinating logic there....

rleaf rleaf
Mar '19

Sunflower

1) posting on social media that you want a gym with an indoor pool doesn’t count as “trying” its actually the complete opposite of trying
2) YMCA has to want to come here. Which they don’t. They’ve been asked.
3) that land that WaWa went on was private land that was abandoned for decades. WaWa was the only company willing to build there
4) you live in Indy. I’m sure they are plenty of spots in your town that would be perfect for YMCS. So keep “trying”.

Jim L Jim L
Mar '19

Is there a way we can rent it from them?

Lower property taxes! No, build a gym. Lower taxes! no, build a Y. Lower taxes! No, rent a pool. …….. wow.

twentytwenty
Mar '19

For a town only about 3 square miles there sure is a lot of empty stores and buildings. Yeah let's put a YMCA in the obviously won't be supported. Let's face it folks, people take there money out of H-town and spend it most likely in Morris county somewhere.

Unless it's deep fried and served by a clown this town can't support much.

There actually aren’t a lot of empty store fronts. But you don’t seem to care about facts. You just seem to crap on the town any case you get.

Main St is attracting great unique businesses and restaurants and there are great things in the works. Main st is probably busier now then in the last 10-15 years.

Jim L Jim L
Mar '19

I was thinking the same thing, Jim. In fact I had noticed what appeared to me very few vacant store fronts lately. There are always a few of course.

Put a dome over the town pool and have it heated. Your welcome. And Jim L this is the internet we don’t need your fancy facts we’ll just make up our own

Iamrite Iamrite
Mar '19

Some really nice new store fronts too. Not sure Main Street has ever looked so snazzy, never so diversified, never such an entertainment "hotspot." OK, getting warmer spot...….

I even now support the pink sidewalks and fake lights where you can see the LED, not the chimney...…. I laughed, I cried, but not it has all become part of me!

And soon the magnificent hanging gardens of Hackettstown will reappear. Love the watering guy, thank you for keeping us fresh.

Keep up the great work, BID, JL, and Main Street Small Business Entrepreneurs.

Mar '19

The backstory on the former president is that HE was the only source of the article the purpose of which was to create PR for himself when interviewing at another job as it wasn't working out at Centenary. (He did not get the other job - Alvernia.) It was untrue. He was not hired as nor was he a "turnaround" manager. Nor did he create positive changes, to put it mildly. He offered to stay through June but was told to pack his bags. The relationship in town is just one example.

Bizzy
Mar '19

Kerry Mullins has announced the closure of the pool starting April 1st. As a student body- we tried to express our displeasure with the pool closing. No one listened. Anyone who tried to “petition” or go against the authority of the school were asked to have a “meeting” which didn’t help at all.

I came to Centenary because I wanted to be more than just a number. I wanted my voice to be heard and my opinion to matter. I realize now that it really doesn’t but Centenary will try to make it seem like it does!

We have 1500 students at Centenary- everyone I have spoken with was not invited to partake in any survey that Kerry Mullins claims took place. This is a small school and word gets around fast- I guess Kerry Mullins and anyone else involved in the pool closure didn’t think students talked to eachother. We pretty much came to the consensus that any such survey didn’t take place or it was <5 people.

To send an email talking about excitement of closing the pool for another open gym space is almost insulting. We the students are the ones who pay to keep this university running and this is not exciting to us- more of a let down. If Centenary is in such financial ruins then I highly doubt we will have a useable space by Fall 2019. Also, a rock wall...seriously.. what a waste.

Lastly, a note to Kerry and anyone at Centenary- for future notice, it puts a bad taste in the students mouths when we feel as though we are being lied to, not being told the whole truth, and as if our voice doesn’t matter.

It is going to take more than a new recreation space to gain the trust of your student body back. It is like paper- once crumbled- never the same.

ReevesHall ReevesHall
Mar '19

Reeves,
And there you have it.
It's refreshing to watch the youth take notice about what the adults are doing.
Keep up the good work, your voice does get heard.
You will get your chance one day, and it's approaching faster than you think.
The youth needs to take over the entire government. 80 year old's should not be making laws-they need to retire.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Mar '19

1,400 on the petition.

ReevesHall said it. Kerry Mullin’s and others emails are noted above. Voice your concerns Hackettstown. State your case as to the profit you get from the pool. Be polite, state your case. Angry emails just get the delete button.

Fire away. One more charge!!! The swim teams need Centenary; the neighborhood needs it.

Mar '19

Thanks for the support- my friends and I will do what we can to fight this but with the closure date being just days away- it seems as though the decision has been made.

The numbers just do not add up- the college claims it costs $150,000 to keep the pool running but has never provided any factual evidence behind this. My friends and I are going to keep digging into this- we feel strongly that we can prove this is far from the truth. I guess Kerry Mullins didn’t take into account that Centenary has a boat load of smart business students who know finances.

Obviously Centenary made a business decision to close the pool and they are going to inflate the operating cost of the pool to their benefit to justify the closure. As students- we cannot do much about this but prove their math wrong- which we can do. The question is- to date our voice has not mattered and has not been heard- will Centenary listen if we try to speak up again?

We are going to be known as the UNIVERSITY that has no pool. Community colleges have pools. High schools have pools. Centenary will be known as the University without a pool.

ReevesHall ReevesHall
Mar '19

Since Centenary operates tax free in Hackettstown, thereby contributing zero to police fire and rescue let alone all the other amenities they get for FREE. I'd remind them about that. That basically they are financial leeches to the town. When there's trouble in the dorms what police show up? The least they can do is maintain a pool that i'm pretty certain doesn't cost $150,000 to maintain.

How about they start paying taxes.

Come on, Centenary is a great neighbor.

Be respectful and email all three: pres, cfo, and student dean IF you use the pool, know someone (like swim teams) who uses pool or just feel the pool/neighborhood relationship is bebeficial.

One last stand, let em know.

Mar '19

Does anyone know what the swim teams are doing?

Mar '19

ReevesHall......Centenary doesn’t have a swim team.....give it up already! Keep digging for what?

outsider outsider
Mar '19

They don’t have a climbing team either. The point?

Mar '19

Maybe the churches around here, who also don’t pay taxes, should put in a pool. After all, they don’t pay for their police or fire protection either.

Mike1985 Mike1985
Mar '19

Mike,
How can they afford to. Now with all the real lawsuits, the fake getting on the bandwagon lawsuits, and paying for the one's that are still hidden.
You can only pass the basket so many times.
As far as the school, I guess no wealthy Americans were willing to bribe coaches or have their tests taken by a professional in order to go there. This country is quickly becoming a cesspool for hucksters, shysters, carpetbaggers and scalawags.
The justice system is a joke, and all that work there as well.
Grab some popcorn, sit back, enjoy the show.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Mar '19

Wow, and I just wanted to keep swimming in one of the only indoor pools in the area.

World hunger and benefit envy can wait :>(

Save the pool, sign the petition, 1,475 so far...…
Write an email, the addresses are at the thread top.

What the heck, swimming is good, right?

Mar '19

Instead of a petition, someone should start a membership drive. If so many people are concerned with keeping the pool open then they should financially commit to using it. Maybe if Centenary was presented with a long list of people that pre-paid for a membership they might change their mind. Money talks.

FarmerJake FarmerJake
Mar '19

Uh....nice thought, we did but ....there’s nothing to member to anymore.... Petition, email —-> voice your concerns if you use the pool or want to use the pool.

Mar '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.