Click It or Ticket

So I see Hackettstown and Mansfield received grants to participate in this money grab. Expect to see the one cop sitting in the back of the pick up parked by the bed and breakfast while the rest stand in the municipal parking lot waiting to jump in front of your car.
They should take the grant money and try to stop the drug overdoses or better yet, fix some pot holes.

irishresq irishresq
May '18

"they should take the grant money and try to stop the drug overdoses or better yet, fix some pot holes."

you do realize the grant $ has to be used for the grant it came from, right?

Jim L Jim L
May '18

C'mon we pay extra in gas for pot hole repair with patch that falls apart in 5 weeks. The cops will certainly be out in force collecting town revenue. Also making soft marijuana arrests so we can all sleep soundly at night. I for one always feel safer when I read the police blotters and know that all major crimes, missing children, murder and other wanton violence is solved. Only then can you go after low level pot arrests with such vigor and determination. I can't wait to be solicited by another PBA call.

Don, master of sarcasm! Love it!

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
May '18

May is always click it or ticket month. Just wear your seatbelt.

hktownie hktownie
May '18

Hey, it's for your own good! The State makes sure everybody wears a seatbelt, for their own protection!

Well, except motorcycle drivers. The law says that even if you're driving around in a one-ton metal cage, surrounded by crumple zones and air bags, you still have to wear a seatbelt. But you can sit on top of a machine going 65 MPH down a highway, with nothing but a basic helmet on, and that's okay.

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
May '18

Are we really arguing about using a seatbelt in 2018?

Befuddled
May '18

Just wear your seat belt, why is this a big deal?

Rickter1 Rickter1
May '18

Nice to see a state over 200 billion in debt within a country over 21 trillion in debt is still wasting money on yet another useless program .

http://observer.com/2017/09/new-jersey-has-the-worst-finances-in-the-nation-report-says/

97XBAM 97XBAM
May '18

"Are we really arguing about using a seatbelt in 2018?"

No, we're arguing about using it as a revenue collection device.

Alan
May '18

first of all its 5/21 - 6/3
the grant is only $5500

here is the grant list

http://www.nj.gov/oag/hts/downloads/CIOT_2018_Grant_Recipients.pdf

last year it took 976 drunk drivers off the road as well

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2018/05/nj_ticket_blitz_seat_belt_click_it_or_ticket_campa.html

Im all about the local constabulary not being a cost center but there are HTSA funds earmarked for this purpose, it's on the calendar like Christmas, and it promotes public safety

skippy skippy
May '18

I didn’t know cops fixed potholes...Mabey I can call a fireman to mow my lawn. Mabey teaches can plant some trees.. It’s a good thing that they are doing another money grab.. Times are tough and the town gots bills to pay.. So click it or ticket bitches!!!

Mr. Tone Mr. Tone
May '18

Aren't they already supposed to be pulling people over for not wearing a belt or talking on a cellphone while driving or driving drunk?

How come they're getting extra money to do what they're already supposed to be doing?

Extra money should be used to have more police walking the beat on Main Street and the surrounding sidewalks.

Older Mom Older Mom
May '18

AFAIK, Cops can't pull you over just for a seat belt violation unless it's during the "click it, or ticket" campaign.

Calico696 Calico696
May '18

Bingo it gets the contact needed and lowers the bar - hence why they do it

Skippy Skippy
May '18

Seatbelts have been a "primary" violation for years. I had a trooper pull me over on 78 for a seat belt violation once.

ianimal ianimal
May '18

Yeah but it gives them the probable cause to have contact with vehicle operators - if you think this is about vehicular restraint you’re not comprehending the full picture

Skippy Skippy
May '18

“Extra money should be used to have more police walking the beat on Main Street and the surrounding sidewalks.”

Older Mom it’s not extra money. It’s grant money from the state for this specific program. We either participate in the click it program or we don’t. But we can take the grant money and use it for something else. Plus as it was pointed out it’s only $5500. As far as a money grab, well If someone is stupid enough to not wear their seatbelt during this publicly announced state wide 2 week program that has signs every where then I got no problem if we take their money.

Jim L Jim L
May '18

Agreed Jim L - only correction is it’s nationwide and fed grant money run though the state but rock on

Skippy Skippy
May '18

You won't get a ticket and you won't get pulled over if you buckle up.Remember its your face that;s goes thru the windshield or tooth lost due to contact with the steering wheel. I don;t like grants in general it;s not free money its tax money the government took from you so they can give it away as they see fit. P.S. they do catch DWI;s and dope smokers who forgot to use seat belts.....just saying.

frank1945 frank1945
May '18

Good one, Calico! LOL!

G-remnant G-remnant
May '18

I am glad to see they got the grant money for that everyone should wear a seatbelt! They really do save lives

Summer Summer
May '18

I couldn't care less about the $46 they get for a seat belt offense. Someone not wearing their seat belt doesn't really impact me if they want to put their life at risk. But I do appreciate that these campaigns clean up some of the other trash that's driving around drunk or unregistered/uninsured/unlicensed.

Tracy Tracy
May '18

Over policing is never a good thing. In this case wearing a seat belt is the right thing to do. I wear mine. Back when I first started driving I didn't, it wasn't a law then.

So maybe our fine boys in blue should have a helmet or ticket for our motorcycle friends. It's a law, some riders feel they shouldn't have to, some states don't care if you do or not. It's just as pointless, that's my point.

Gives them an opportunity to write more than just a seatbelt ticket. A ticket to receive more revenues is what it s.

Is that really true? Cops cant just pull you over for seatbelt violation? I was with my daughter and granddaughter just leaving weis parking lot and I was getting the baby a binky and then put my seatbelt on . Immediately got pulled over for my seatbelt. He said i put it on when i saw him. Not the truth i didnt see him at all. I was the passenger and i will tell you. He was nasty. Yes he gave me ticket a d paid it. What can u do. It wasnt click it or ticket time.

Kikinj Kikinj
May '18

"Gives them an opportunity to write more than just a seatbelt ticket. A ticket to receive more revenues is what it s."

Yup. That's all it is. "Public safety" is nothing but convenient spin so the more naive among us feel better about the campaign and there is little to no public resistance.

somechik somechik
May '18

"Is that really true? Cops cant just pull you over for seatbelt violation?"

Yes, they can. From: http://www.nj.gov/lps/hts/downloads/Seat_Belt_100_PC_Web.pdf

New Jersey’s seat belt law requires all motor vehicle passengers in the front seats and back seats to buckle up. Belt use by the driver and all front seat passengers is a primary offense — a police officer may stop a vehicle and issue a ticket for this violation alone. The back seat belt requirement is a secondary offense — a police officer may only ticket the unbelted adult passenger if the driver of the vehicle has committed some other motor vehicle offense. Failure to comply with New Jersey’s seat belt law carries a fine.

ianimal ianimal
May '18

Thanks for info ianimal. Wasnt sure.

Kikinj Kikinj
May '18

No problem. Now buckle up (-;

ianimal ianimal
May '18

Next.. June is don't text and drive month.. brace yourself :-) Not sure if that one has grant money.

hktownie hktownie
May '18

yea that was in April.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2018/03/utext_udrive_upay_police_to_begin_targeting_distra.html

And Hackettstown did not participate in that grant program this year

http://www.nj.gov/oag/hts/downloads/UDUTUP_2018_Grant_Recipients.pdf

Jim L Jim L
May '18

My car takes three whole minutes to stop the annoying seatbelt reminder from blaring. My laziness/forgetfulness has never outlasted that three minutes.

Consigliere
May '18

Thanks ianimal. I know at one point it was secondary. They must have changed it.

Calico696 Calico696
May '18

When they first implemented the law, they made a big deal about how it would only ever be a secondary offense and that no one would ever get pulled over just for not wearing their seat belt.

I think that lasted all of two years until they realized what a cash cow it was and how much more money they could make if they were allowed to target otherwise law-abiding drivers.

ianimal ianimal
May '18

Click it or Ticket is just a nice easy to remember way to say "Suspend the 4th Amendment during May".

Wish the folks who get upset over violations of the first and second amendments, cared as much for the other 8 amendments.

BTW I always buckle but find it annoying to have a cop assigned to violate the constitution, but especially so since my taxes are paying to do so.

Agust Agust
May '18

When it first started with the lap belt, I unplugged the buzzer under the seat. I only used it when going on major highways. They were a pain on bench seats

Old Gent Old Gent
May '18

Going up to the lake riding in the back of a pickup was major fun for us kids back in the 60s . Nowadays that would get you a major fine , probably even in belted seats in the back of a Subaru Brat . Next will probably be some kind of mandatory bubble wrap/inflatable suit for motorcycle riders .

97XBAM 97XBAM
May '18

http://www.tthlaw.com/index.php?id=763

FYI you can be criminally liable if someone dies if you are operating a vehicle and don’t compel them to wear a seat belt

Skippy Skippy
May '18

“Going up to the lake riding in the back of a pickup was major fun for us kids back in the 60s . Nowadays that would get you a major fine .”

Not here (in SC) ;)

Anyone over 15 can ride in the back. Anyone under 15 just needs an adult riding with them (or they can be unsupervised as long as the driver doesn’t exceed 36 MPH or if the occupants are engaged in hunting activities). Violations are a whopping $25 (and the law specifically prohibits any license points and insurance surcharges for infractions).

Helmets are optional on motorcycles too...

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
May '18

“and don’t compel them”

Compel them? With what? The govt is the one with all the guns! ;-)

justintime justintime
May '18

Good point Justintime. When I moved to NJ I couldn’t believe a B.B. gun was considered a “firearm.” Was told I need to get fingerprinted and apply for an ID card from the state govt that says I’m responsible enough for a Red Rider. I honestly considered moving back.

Consigliere
May '18

I believe a B.B. pistol is considered a handgun and you need a Permit to purchase

Skippy Skippy
May '18

I think that's correct Skippy.

If you *buy* a BB gun (pistol or rifle) in NJ you need an FPID at a minimum.

However, it's still perfectly legal to physically buy one out of state and *possess* it in NJ without an FPID... the only "gotcha" is that you need an FPID to transport it within NJ's borders, so don't get pulled over on the way back (or on the way to a friend's house with it in the trunk).

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
May '18

Meanwhile I’m off to buy my 8 year old niece a 22 cricket at Walmart lol

Skippy Skippy
May '18

Just don't let her shoot her eye out. ;-)

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

Lol for sure

Skippy Skippy
May '18

Didn't know click it meant a trigger? Thought it was seatbelts

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
May '18

https://www.facebook.com/hackettstownpd/posts/1807753675947556

Results of the click it or ticket.

Jim L Jim L
Jun '18

wow - glad they caught some of those - especially the one changing clothes, and the one playing games.....................I feel a little safer
--I just don't understand not wearing seatbelts - I've never thought twice about it ever since a friend in high school went through a windshield, had a fractured jaw, and 150 stitches in her face..........Seatbelts were either not available or not required back in the day.

4catmom 4catmom
Jun '18

Don't forget

Dogs need to be in a seat belt now also

Bug3
Jun '18

What if pets travel in a crate, Bug3?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jun '18

I guess I am just surprised that seatbelts aren't a habit by now for everyone. I don't even think about it, I just put it on. And my kids don't ever give me trouble about it. It's a habit for them, too. Yes, we all remember riding around in the back of pickup trucks and station wagons, and it was fun, but it just doesn't make sense to not wear a seatbelt.

Jersey Girl Jersey Girl
Jun '18

On two occasions in last seven days, I had the right of way to cross the street at the intersection in the middle of town. During these occasions a driver who's at a red light, would continue to drive, and pass right behind or right in front of me in the middles of the cross-walk. Two times it almost became vehicular homicide. Since, November I've witness scores driving violations on the main road going through town. Why not spend more time getting these people off the roads? Maybe this is why the have the program? Might be more brutal getting someone out of a crushed vehicle. I think it would be even better if this was done during the end of the year.

nobody nobody
Jun '18

Last week I was on Main Street and a car was attempting to parallel park in front of Rico Pan. I gave them plenty of space and waiting patiently while they made several attempts. Next thing I know, there's a pickup truck passing me on the left (yes, on the opposite side of the double yellow line)! Of course, to make it more interesting, the traffic started coming at him and he had nowhere to go! Eventually, he got back behind me. People are nuts out there!

FarmerJake FarmerJake
Jun '18

Same thing happened again today. Had the right of way in the cross-walk. Halfway through the crossing. Driver at red-light on Grand Ave., fails to yield at red light and continues to drive towards me, while i'm crossing. Stops within a foot of hitting me. And, just before that a driver on the main road decides to flip on their turn single at the last second, then starts to turn into the cross walk, when I'm using it.

Funny thing is they both looked like people I've known to work at Mars, Inc in Hackecttstown, N.J.. They worked for a temp agency on site, and I distinctly remember both of them being very rude, deceitful individuals.

Sad part is that this happens where you see the police parked, watching traffic. But, the times these incidents occur are always changing. Lately I,t's been between 11:00 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. in that area. Also, sadly where the police park they can't visually see the intersection there b/c of the Municipal parking sign. Had one of these incidents, when a police vehicle was parked there and they saw nothing.

I agree that the money could be better spent towards taking these people off the road instead.

nobody nobody
Jun '18

Anyone who has worked in rescue and has seen the horrific injuries of people who weren't wearing seat belts would be glad to put on a seat belt.

EuphoriaMourning EuphoriaMourning
Jul '18

@euphoriamourning
I do work in EMS and I have seen people saved and killed by the seatbelt. I am just against the money grab that they do this for.

Irishresq Irishresq
Jul '18

Bumping this thread...looks like statewide grants handed out again on 5/20/19.

Chuck
May '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.