Single Seat Car

Holy crap! Can you imagine driving this thing on 80, 287 or 78? Talk about a death wish.

http://canada.autonews.com/article/20180509/CANADA/180509776/electra-meccanicas-single-seat-solo-ev-gets-u-s-certification?cciid=email-autonewscanada-daily

Calico696 Calico696
May '18

It's just a Can-Am with an extra large fairing (-;

ianimal ianimal
May '18

Not sure I really "get" the whole three wheeled car thing.

Some (like the Polaris Slingshot) are just as wide as a regular car in front. This one is not much, if any, thinner than a Smart Car, so it isn't like getting rid of a rear wheel means they'll fit somewhere that a four-wheeled vehicle won't.

I DO understand three wheel motorcycles, if someone likes "riding" but maybe has a physical disability that prevents them from properly balancing or controlling a motorcycle at slow/stopped speeds.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
May '18

"Some (like the Polaris Slingshot) are just as wide as a regular car in front. This one is not much, if any, thinner than a Smart Car, so it isn't like getting rid of a rear wheel means they'll fit somewhere that a four-wheeled vehicle won't."

You lose a decent amount of weight by losing a wheel and the whole rear axle assembly, no? That's about the only advantage I can think of.

ianimal ianimal
May '18

Good news, if you die in a crash, you don't need to pay for a coffin, they just bury you in the car.

alpha1beta alpha1beta
May '18

If you die in a car crash in that thing, they'll bury you in a bunch of ziploc bags.

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
May '18

You mean the fire department will wash you off the roadway - fixed that for you

Skippy Skippy
May '18

So, is it a belt-driven rear-wheel drive or a FWD trans-axle? I'm thinking it HAS to be FWD, right?

ianimal ianimal
May '18

Or chain drive

Skippy Skippy
May '18

I would imagine the three wheeled vehicle will have a much tighter turning radius than a four wheeled vehicle. This looks like something that would be useful in a city environment where parking is tight, speeds are fairly slow, and distance isn't an issue.

Boobalaa Boobalaa
May '18

Most EV's don't have a trans-axle...the motors directly power the wheels.

In this case the motor is mounted in the back and it is belt drive to the rear wheel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6gKYLYfe6A

Darrin Darrin
May '18

3 wheels mean motorcycle and DOT requirements are much less than a car. It is a much easier way to get to market...

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.