Trump Sitting Down with Kim Jong-un: Good Idea or Not?

Would love to hear your thoughts on possibly the most important US news story of the month, if not so far this year:

In one month, a sitting President of the United States will engage in face-to-face dialogue with one of the most repressive world leaders there is today.

Is this a good idea in your opinion, and why or why not?

Here is an article published 2 hours ago detailing how some Americans feel about the sit-down:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/11/politics/poll-trump-critics-north-korea-kim-jong-un-meeting/index.html

According to that article, 62% of Americans who disapprove of Trump overall now approve of Trump sitting down with North Korea's arguably abominable dictator. (The poll was conducted by CNN, so take it for what it's worth, though.)

Maybe Skippy or someone else can find other polls about how Americans *in general* are feeling about the meeting, but personally, I'd be more interested in knowing how people around these parts feel about it.

What do you think about an American President speaking face-to-face with a man who apparently likes to use anti-aircraft weapons to dispatch with people close to him?

My thoughts: I think it's a great idea. I'm in that 62% of people in the CNN poll. As you might have concluded from "that other thread," I'm a huge fan of having a dialogue with all, and everyone listening to each other. I don't see what harm can come of it (except the obvious "setting the precedent"). As far as I know, we aren't giving him anything to sit down and talk? (This may very well be going on behind-the-scenes, though, and I wouldn't be surprised if it is (his people are hungry), but I doubt we’ll ever find out about it.) And who knows what change might possibly come of the meeting? I don’t think anything will ever happen if we keep NOT talking to each other. And the poor North Korean people....

IMHO Kim Jong-un is likely best described as a highly intelligent psychopath, but I *still* think Trump should sit down with him. You?

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

Oh you are good. My clone pf your tome would have never see the day of light....

The answer is: it depends!

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
May '18

I'm supposed to be ignoring you, but you're not making it easy for me. ;-)

Depends on WHAT, don't keep us all in suspense here.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

My concern is that if someone from NK is smart enough to put a "Fox and Friends" banner behind Kim Jong Un, the Great Pumpkin will automatically believe everything that comes out of his mouth, no matter how ridiculous... (-;

ianimal ianimal
May '18

OMG stop Ian LOL. And don't take this thread off-topic before it has even started. Seriously- what do you think about the little upcoming pow-wow?

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

Who told you to ignore and why would you ever listen? Are you brainwashed or just trying to make me feel special? I am so special. ;-)

It depends

On whether you believe Trump’s line in the sand matters because he will fail and you will be unhappy. He will not rid the pennisula of nukes.

Or if a splendid happy meeting is enough, you will be happy to have a pleasant time with a brutal murderer.

Or if he ends up in the middle which will make you wonder why he killed the better deal in Iran than he gets in NK in which case you will lie to yourself about expectations and outcomes and conclude he is just the same as every other President.

We got three guys back, albeit two lost on Trump’s watch that didn’t matter until they were freed, but that’s a nice win and a nice start.

I expect its downhill from there, a great start nonetheless, and always better to talk than to scream.

How do you start a meeting with a guy you called all these names?

May '18

CNN is fake news and extremely biased, so I am not going to comment on your thread, as I already know how you feel about this.

CNNFakeNews CNNFakeNews
May '18

It's not the best way to do things, one reason being that if it blows up there is no higher authority on either side to settle things down.

Another reason is that Trump is not as knowledgeable about Korea as lower-level experts would be.

But, it may be pre-ordained that a good agreement is in the offing - or at least an agreement that both parties will ballyhoo as good. We can only wait and see and hope for the best.

How can we state this is any way bad - the MSM accuses Trump of starting WW III a few months ago with his tweets - apparently it worked and the hostages are home and Kim is at the table. Trump did more with a tweet than Obama’s did in 8 years

Skippy Skippy
May '18

Why not? Maybe Korea will finally see “official” peace. I don’t see any downside.

And if peace is negotiated on Trumps watch, Nobel Peace Prize! Lord knows Obama got one for far less.

JeffersonRepup JeffersonRepup
May '18

@jd2 "If it blows up there is no higher authority on either side to settle things down..."

And since they both have nuclear codes, I guess we should all be really praying it doesn't blow up. Ugh. Downside I didn't even think of.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

Obama with nobel was as funny as trump as president. Oh shoot....

Maybe they will both pivot.

May '18

Nukes will not happen. Kim isn’t that stupid, the world would bomb what’s left of his country back to the Stone Age.

May '18

Kim wants with the rest of the nuclear world wants: he wants to not use nuclear weapons, just have them, and get a enough respect the people will talk to him instead of ignoring him & sanctioning him.

He actually wants to be a member of the big boys club . Not the pariah.

May '18

IDK JR. I can't figure out why he's suddenly making nice with everyone. Is he playing us all (S Korea, China, N Korea)? Or is this CHINA playing us via him? And what is his/the actual agenda? What is he trying to get, besides obviously sanctions lifted? And are we sure he isn't acting as China's new favorite puppet?

He's just so unpredictable. I wouldn't rule out a nuclear response from him aimed due southward if he doesn't get what he wants. The thought just never occurred to me before jd2 mentioned it.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

So why did our guy put the no nuje red line in the sand?

Of course to the rest

Trump will wind up with less than Iran deal in terms of remaoning warheads and no monitorong or checking whatsoever. And then he will try to spin the stupidity out of it but this time I rxpect Pbama will break silence abd tell Trump off

May '18

Doesn’t cost anything to talk ( other to legitimize the other side).
So why not?
Canceling the Iran arrangement erodes American credibility.
I have no faith in American President’s ability.
JMHO.

Stymie Stymie
May '18

Nobel Peace Prize and Impeachment??

Hackresident Hackresident
May '18

Rebecka, Trump sitting down with Kim Jong-un is a good thing. It has the potential to advance the process to bring an end to the longest running conflict in American history. If the President can negotiate an end to this 68 year old conflict he is a shoe in for the Nobel peace prize It would be a significant accomplishment and help bring stability to the region. This president is a hard worker who has accomplished a lot in his time in the white house.

ymca
May '18

Stymie the Iran deal was not approved by congress. It was another stupid deal Obama put in place via Executive Order.

Metsman Metsman
May '18

How can there be an Iran deal when Iran NEVER signed an Iran deal. I wish this was on the other thread so I wouldn't get bumped. Never a deal!! Obama had a pen and a phone and he used it. He DID not have congress or not one vote to make an Iran DEAL. He used a pen, put it on paper and made his deal. Means nothing, notta. Goodbye Iran Obama deal. The only thing he did was to do is bow for the photo op.

auntiel auntiel
May '18

Kim is a narcissist. He saw the attention his sister got at the Olympics. He wants that and more. So he will behave. That's a positive. For him, but especially, perhaps, for starving, oppressed North Koreans.

maja2 maja2
May '18

Why not. We went to war with Vietnam and now we trade with them. You never know. It is all set up by the underlings anyway.

Old Gent Old Gent
May '18

Omg great point and analysis of his personality, maja. I'm hoping you are right and he will behave, and the poor North Koreans will see some benefits as a result of this meeting.

@Old Gent - and I'm hoping the underlings on both sides will be right there in the room, tempering the unpredictable personalities of the top men of both men.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

If you guys want to know how it all turns out, just email the Illuminati.... I’m sure they’ll tell you.

;)

May '18

LMBO JR. Watch the darn movie! Then tell me what you think is really going on, and who's pulling the strings.

ps Wouldn't happen to have that email address, would you?

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

Lol Illuminati@aol.com

Skippy Skippy
May '18

I could give it you, but then I’d have to kill you, before they killed me.

May '18

Omg STOP.

Focus. Pow-wow with Dear Leader. Thoughts on said.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

I absolutely feel President Trump is doing the right thing by meeting with Kim Jong-un. I would be saying the same thing regardless of who won the election, whether Democrat, Third Party, or Independent. However I honestly think President Trump has the greatest chance of coming away with positive
results because of his unpredictable reputation. His reputation seems to indicate he is sly like a fox and maybe that is what we need right now at this time in History. I don't like things he has said in the past and wish he would publically apologize for each and every
unkind, name calling slur he imposed on others.... But I'm not holding my breath...

Spring fever Spring fever
May '18

More importantly SECSTATE Pompeo is working with NK on their economy after their disarmament - Pyongyang is about to get a KFC that will make Beijing’s look like a food cart.

Meanwhile proposed CNN headlines

Trump only brought peace to Korea so he can Build Hotels on it.

He sees this as a quick way to make a buck after he is impeached.

We should investigate Trumps real estate holdings in North Korea.

Skippy Skippy
May '18

Just a quick response on the withdrawal from the Iran nuclear deal. It's true that when you look at it purely in an internal to U.S. political process point-of-view, you could argue that since the Senate did not ratify, it was not a full-fledged U.S. deal. But looking at it from the perspective of the rest of the world, it certainly was. Here is a comment from Germany's chancellor:

"I believe it is not right that a deal which was agreed, which was voted upon in the UN Security Council and unanimously approved, should be unilaterally terminated," Merkel said, adding that the US decision "damages trust in the international order."

It seems to me also to be very unfair to re-institute the sanctions we had put on because of Iran's nuclear program, when Iran has meanwhile given up the program because of the deal. If Iran restarts the program, then at least that would make sense, even though the withdrawal itself still looks bad to most of the rest of the world.

Meeting in person is much better than him tweeting..that's for sure. Lol!

positive positive
May '18

https://youtu.be/IMgBk5JdJWs

This explains why Kerry ran to Iran - btw how’s he not getting locked up ?

Meanwhile we just imposed sanctions on six individuals and three companies funnelling millions of dollars to Iran's Revolutionary Guard -

Skippy Skippy
May '18

Trump is a transparent self-centered abomination upon all we hold to be a proper and progressive leader of any country.....we have seen this from the beginning and yet he is president.....shame on those of us who support him.....for any reason......shame on humanity's folly....he has lowered the bar of ethics, humanity, and politics to the ground.....we need to exorcise him from public and political life....

zentravl zentravl
May '18

Sigh.

May '18

Ok sure we’re listening - those are serious charges - please expound on what imperical evidence you may have that an 18 month multi million dollar investigation has not turned up - or is he an abomination because you don’t agree with making America great ? Did Trump make HRC call folks deplorable and “clingers”? Did he make her fail to campaign in “fly over” states ? Please give me the data points so I can understand any of what you are talking about - I really want to build a bridge here but your statements are without basis.

Skippy Skippy
May '18

Never negotiate with terrorists.

It makes triump look weak, and the country by extension.

DogOwner DogOwner
May '18

We talking about Korea or Iran? With Korea he blew up supply shipments and sent the message they would be eating each other shortly if they didn’t comply - good Regan quote wrong application

Skippy Skippy
May '18

The CNN talking points and buzz-words are strong in this thread.

Consigliere
May '18

Seriously, it's a good thing..just like the other thread, an open discussion is warranted.

All people even leaders (yes, they are people too), should have face to face open discussions more often. It's very different when the middle man is involved, it's not as personal and things can get misconstrued. It's just not the same.

Trump and Jong-Un need to get to know each other, both have heard much negativity about one another, they both need to clear the air.

I would think, just like many of us, if we met in person we'd put our best face forward and would be very gracious and would try to clear up any past differences.

Yeah, I know, I'm one naive sap! Lol! Just hopeful that's all.

positive positive
May '18

The United States has LONG hada policy of no negotiation with terrorists for hostages. Yeah Trump did just that recently With that terrorist in North Korea. Making him as bad as Obama.

DogOwner DogOwner
May '18

I think it’s a great idea. Sure beats war or threat of!! Long overdue and even though I’m not a big fan of Trump at this point I give him credit on this one... Hopefully a deal can be worked out on our terms and all these threats and stupidity can be put behind us!!! Next thing u know they will be golfing buddies!!

Mr. Tone Mr. Tone
May '18

Except they offered up the hostages as a good will gesture in re nuclear disarmament talks.

if Trump cured hunger and cancer in the same day we would be hearing how this is horrible for the world.

Skippy Skippy
May '18

I'm not sure how much I want Americans to spend "rebuilding" Korea, but some farm tractors would a great gift.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-44092623

maja2 maja2
May '18

As long as trump doesn't eat or drink anything over there he should be fine haha. That guy could poison trump.

Forcefed4door Forcefed4door
May '18

"The United States has LONG hada policy of no negotiation with terrorists for hostages. Yeah Trump did just that recently With that terrorist in North Korea. Making him as bad as Obama."

Except.... our 3 hostages are now back home, and there MIGHT actually be peace in Korea for the first time since 1945.

I don't see a losing option here, as I have said- Kim is not stupid enough to use nukes, and besides this whole "IDK man, he's so unpredictable" thing.... that's an image he's created to instill fear. SO the rest of the world would take him seriously enough to talk to him instead of ignore and sanction him. He just wants a seat in the game. He's not that stupid.

He doesn't want to be the pariah that Iran still is, he wants to be China. He wants to be one of the popular kids.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
May '18

It seems to me that NK got what they wanted...they wanted a nuke in their shed. Now that they have it (so it seems, what else would be the reason from the sudden change of heart and suspension of tests), they are willing to be more civil, because as JR stated...in this day in age, anyone using a nuke would literally end the world. I do not personally think it would just be a counter attack, I personally think it would spark WW3...and there is no living through that....for anyone.

Darrin Darrin
May '18

Jr, isn't that what Chamberlain said?

Yet thank you. I was a bit blue this morning but HL brought the smile back to these cheeks. Thank you.

First, of course talking is preferable to bombing. However, since Trump himself has set the goal of no nukes on the Peninsula, he will come up short but tell us “it’s still better than Hillary…” or some other favorite sound bite punching bag just like Skippy can’t help but blame Hillary again in this thread….(thanks, Skip, seeing your compulsion to continually vex over Hillary’s past is really getting funny. At least I pick the live ones……).

So, what happens when Trump doesn’t get what he says he wants? The best template for the best deal he could get he just tore up.

What he will end up with is a deal worse than the one he cancelled in Iran.
- There will be nuclear arms, Iran has none except the one Israel sees
- There will be no inspections
- He may get a reduction or a limit on arms
- The missile program will continue
Trump has said there will be no Iran style deal in North Korea. Methinks his only other choice is the unilateral capitulation of North Korea and you have to ask: how much does that cost? Doesn’t matter, won’t happen.

South China News says: “Why would Kim Jong-un trust Trump now he’s ripped up Iran’s nuclear deal?” They continue by stating that Trump has basically Made China Great Again by pushing Tehran closer to Beijing and away from the world. http://www.scmp.com/week-asia/opinion/article/2145675/why-would-kim-jong-un-trust-trump-now-hes-ripped-irans-nuclear

But I digress. My smile and coffee-to-keyboard spew came when I read this (and please realize I do understand and appreciate the overall thoughts and intent):
“Trump and Jong-Un need to get to know each other, both have heard much negativity about one another, they both need to clear the air.”

Just how does one clear the air with a guy where defectors talk of: “a newborn being fed to guard dogs, executions of starving prisoners for scrounging for edible plants in the dirt, the torture of Christians and more.” Maybe lead with “have you heard the one about fake news….” Or tell Kim, "you know, defectors are just snowflakes, you want yours back? Can I ship Jeff Flake in with them?"

Jong-Un is allegedly charged with 10 of the 11 possible crimes against humanity. Do I need to go to gory details? He killed one of our kids recently. Do I need to remind HL of that?

Just how do you clear that air?

Talk is good. But questions will arise as Trump comes back with a deal worse than Iran having pissed off friend and foe alike. And twhat will he do when the Trump “it’s-better-than-Hillary” spin becomes a weak tea.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
May '18

Sorry, but the united States and many other nations frown upon paying ransom for terrorists or negotiating with hostile nations for a reason. It ENCOURAGES more hostage taking, thereby endangering all citizens.

As for the cancer statement, pretty silly, for two reasons:

1) Trump could never cure cancer, as it would take hard work and intelligence;
2) He would never bother curing cancer unless he could profit handsomely from it;
and
3) The same could have been said during any other administration - Obama's, for example. If Obama had cured cancer, the republicans would say he's flouting God and working for Satan/Allah. They would have turned it into an evil act of satanism and terrorism.

DevilsFan1 DevilsFan1
May '18

Just seems a bit odd that Kim is all happy happy and willing to sit down with USA---remember those old WWII black & white movies when Koreans held Americans as prisoners? They all smiled to their faces as they gunned them down....I just don't feel comfortable with this 'new found' friendship between Trump & Jon-un..

Think there will be a 'gotcha' moment somewhere along the way--IF this meeting actually happens. I have been skeptical all along as to an actual meeting.

Now Kim is having a celebration on May 23rd as NK disbands their nuclear weapons--making a spectacle and a "yooge" point to let the world know that he no longer has these weapons---sure, Kim, but what about the ones you have hidden in an underground bunker??

GranMom GranMom
May '18

can't see the truth?....it's out there....many of you "intelligent folk" just rely on your own fake news and rampant obfuscation....solves nothing but shows much of human nature.....

zentravl zentravl
May '18

Complete BS. NK has already done enough tests for a while so now they will try to get some concessions and probably sign a peace treaty to get American troops of of the Peninsula; good for NK and China. Trump will be praised for this, but nothing to do with him.

@zentravel - thank you for speaking openly.

In case you missed it in my original post, I am not a fan of Trump himself. In fact, if this were a discussion about the man himself, I would most definitely have some choice words that would NOT be fit to print. I would be most happy to write paragraphs and paragraphs about my innermost feelings about our own charming Dear Leader.

But the discussion is NOT about the man himself. At all. It's about his meeting, as sitting POTUS, with a violent, repressive dictator. THAT is the question, and I would be asking it no matter WHO the head honcho sitting in the oval office was right now, even Hillary Clinton. Or Elizabeth Warren.

It's not about Trump, it's about the question of whether ANY sitting US president should meet with such a dictator.

And I'm now conflicted in my thoughts about the meeting, based on some pretty great arguments from both sides in this thread.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

that meeting may happen, but will not be of much consequence....how can it?....it needs parties with long-time vested interests to make things work, not ignorance or self-interest....there may be rays of hope here, from engagement....from engagement....maybe Kim at least has thought things through, maybe he is playing an old game.....but not playng our cards does not win any progress.....

zentravl zentravl
May '18

Re: self-interest suspicions: DH says that Trump probably just sees North Korea as nice place to build a new golf course for Kim Jong-un and his buddies! He says that's likely why the man is flying all the way to Singapore to meet with him lol.

I personally think that he just wants to go down in the history books as the president who de-nuclearized North Korea. It would indeed be a major accomplishment. I think he *only* wants to accomplish this to reinforce that his own grandiose thoughts about himself are correct, and to put a big ol' feather in his cap.

BUT, if it indeed works, won't that be something? Personally, I'd be happy with even just a smidge of relief for the North Korean people as an outcome.

I'm glad that he as POTUS is opening a dialogue, and would be happy if ANY other sitting president were doing the same thing.

In any case, this will definitely be a fascinating meeting for the entire world to analyze. I hope it will also be an important one.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

Singapore....that's funny. We call that "Asia for beginners." The entire country reminds me of Short Hills Mall with Port Newark on the side. Fastest customs clearance in the world. Don't spit though.

May '18

If Kim Jong-un gives up his nuclear weapons without some sort of major concessions he would be foolish.
Reading what is in the news (who knows what to believe) the testing site was damaged by the tests themselves. There were reports from satellites that the mountain has shifted somewhat. He may have to close the sites down anyway-so why not look good doing it?

His missiles work, not 100% but they are reasonably successful. His nukes do work, this has been demonstrated. He has the ability to export the technology now. Anything could happen, but it would not be logical to expend all of that effort just to hand it over to the Americans and just quit now.

Stranger things have happened..

Dodgebaal Dodgebaal
May '18

A one-day "negotiation" on such a profound topic? More like a show. Hopefully some good things are happening. But we may need years to see for sure.

Interesting? Yes.

if you are ok with Iran having nukes but a post or two later call every defensive gun use in America murder you may be a bit 'special' indeed.

Hossein Jaberi Ansari warned Western officials this week that if they do not put pressure on the Trump administration the Iranian regime will leak the names of all Western officials who were bribed to pass the Iran Deal

https://twitter.com/Raman_Ghavami/status/993932711315329025

https://twitter.com/BanafshehZand/status/995382530567213057

It's not like Obama put $400M Cash on a Pallet in the middle of the night.

My prediction is that we will eventually find out that Iran got uranium from Russia who in turn got it through the U1 Uranium that left the US via Canada hence why Kerry is still involved. This is going to point back to everyone's favorite SECSTATE and election results denier and her former employer.. Oh I know they're old news - don't look in that direction.

In 2015, Republican Senators warned the Iran that any deal made with Obama without Congress was simply that. An executive agreement made with Obama that could be abandoned or changed at will in the future by the next President - why didn't Obama just bring the deal before congress?

Letter From Senate Republicans to the Leaders of Iran

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/03/09/world/middleeast/document-the-letter-senate-republicans-addressed-to-the-leaders-of-iran.html?_r=1

Here’s the article where the Foreign Minister of Iran calls it “a propaganda ploy.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/10/world/asia/white-house-faults-gop-senators-letter-to-irans-leaders.html

here is another thing to ponder:

meanwhile the UN chief weapons inspector just put in his papers..

https://www.timesofisrael.com/un-nuclear-watchdogs-chief-inspector-resigns/

BTW, this is not fake news - why is it not front and center in the MSM?
where is Tero Varjoranta now? Did he flee his country (Finnland)?

skippy skippy
May '18

I agree, Dodgebaal. I can't envision a scenario where he would ever give up the nukes he has. Maybe some lower-level people who have been speaking to his people have been told otherwise, though? I imagine they must have been at least given the impression that he is willing to negotiate, otherwise why would any POTUS be sitting down with him at all?

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

@jd2 - I don't really think much will be accomplished in one day, either. But I hope the meeting might be a very important stepping stone on the road to significant negotiations.

And speaking of show: wow did you catch the full spectacle that was the meeting of the two Korean leaders? It was better than the opening ceremonies of the Olympics.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

North Korea has announced that they will dismantle Nuclear Test Site ahead of the Summit Meeting on June 12th and invites the media and the US government to supervise via air .

http://thehill.com/policy/international/387406-north-korea-will-open-air-space-invite-media-to-cover-dismantlement-of?amp=&__twitter_impression=true

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-northkorea-missiles/north-korea-details-plans-to-dismantle-nuclear-test-site-idUSKCN1ID0H5

how could any of this possibly be negative?

this crap right here is why liberals are putting Trump right back into office in 2020 - Just like the AWB got you Bush. Keep it up folks - we can use the campaign savings for the wall.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/12/opinion/sunday/liberals-youre-not-as-smart-as-you-think-you-are.html

skippy skippy
May '18

From the WSJ, not sure if it's true or not. If so, it's partially dismantled anyway...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/damage-to-north-koreas-nuclear-test-site-worse-than-previously-thought-1525975203

Dodgebaal Dodgebaal
May '18

@Skippy - WOW that is major news, and all positive for sure!

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

"North Korea has announced that they will dismantle Nuclear Test Site"

Why would they need the test site? they obviously made the nuclear missile they were looking for and they no longer need the test site.

Now it's time to play nice, so that people don't suspect you have anything....does he really think we are that dumb?

Darrin Darrin
May '18

Darrin is right; they have the bomb, the site is damaged, why not throw Trump a bone and dismantle it. NK can either open it back up or, more likely, build a new one. They would have had to do that anyway given the already sorry statis of this site —-purportedly. So they get good will for doing what they had to do anyways.

Maybe one should ask how NK has accelerated its program these past few years, especially in long range missile development.

May '18

What's weird about all of this is no one is really talking how NK has been surviving and how did they accelerate their bomb, and more important, their long range missile capabilities.

One word: Russia

Not sure what that means....but Russians have been shipping coal as well as scientists to NK.

Trump condemned Russian for NK sanctions violations at the beginning of this year but has said little since then.

So if Russia is helping NK stick a finger in our eye, and Trump's actions have shown he wants to be buddies with Russia, and now Trump will meet with NK, Russia's proven buddy -----crap, I'm at a loss. What is Putin up to?

May '18

SD...I agree with you

"Trump condemned Russian for NK sanctions violations at the beginning of this year but has said little since then."

Probably because the US does not want to screw with Russia?

It's a ugly game...we are not afraid of NK, but we are afraid of loosing Russia as a ally....walking a fine line.

Darrin Darrin
May '18

Oh it’s definitly Russia

Skippy Skippy
May '18

I disagree. I think North Korea is playing all sides and it's both Russia *and* China who are truly behind this meeting.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

I agree, Rebecka.

Spring fever Spring fever
May '18

Uh....Darrin....is Russia our ally? Maybe yours and Dons, but the rest of us? This has bipartisan support and even Libertarians.

Russia, for whatever reasons, just wants to f$&@ us up.

May '18

Maybe I shouldn't have said ally...and instead said make a enemy out of Russia....as of now it is apparent that Russia does not particularly care for us...but they haven't crossed the line of taking action on it.

Darrin Darrin
May '18

“Russia, for whatever reasons, just wants to f$&@ us up.”

Reason enough?

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/06/us-military-bases-around-the-world-119321

justintime justintime
May '18

There you have it.....

N. Korea threatens to pull out of Trump-Kim summit over denuclearization demands

Darrin Darrin
May '18

Some are thinking that maybe DT's usual bragging (wishes) about getting the Nobel Peace Prize for this meeting got on N. Korea's nerves?

Hackresident Hackresident
May '18

@Hackresident. Or Anyone. Is DT actually uttering (or more likely twittering) the words "Nobel Peace Prize" regarding himself and this potential upcoming meeting with KJU?

If so... I don't even...

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

@Darrin - likely because "denuclearization" means something very different to KJU than it does for DT or the rest of the world. I predicted this. :-/

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

Finally a President with some cajones. Every single day I wake up, I’m thankful Hiliary lost

SiaP
May '18

@JIT - thanks so much for link to the Politico article. Eye-opening to say the least.

@SiaP - cajones? No. DT has just been played on the world stage for all to see.

Here is what just happened, folks... in my humble analysis, of course:

KJU to DT: "Let's talk denuclearization!"

DT: "Wow, there is going to be a really big prize involved. With MY name on it. Let's do this!"

KJU: "BTW the definition of denuclearization is you removing your county's stinkin' weapons from our entire region. Also, I never said I'd give up mine on my own turf."

DT: "Wait. Wha....?"

China: :::hehehe:::

Here's more info along the lines of JIT's article, with more specific regional information:

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/00963402.2017.1388656

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

Latest Washington Post Article:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/wp/2018/05/16/the-gullible-trump-finally-finds-out-kim-jong-un-isnt-honorable/

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

I think communication is always a good idea but we need to know who we are dealing with here. He has an agenda as always. We have seen this movie before with them.

JB400 JB400
May '18

Haven't been following news, just too busy, out of town, etc.

So Kim now is balking at getting rid of his nukes? Can't say I'm surprised. But then very very little surprises me anymore with geopolitics.

If someone LAUNCHED a nuke (besides ISIS, if they could get their hands on one), THAT would surprise me.

Oh well. Back to the world's regularly scheduled programming...

May '18

Wow. That didn’t last long.

DocMartin DocMartin
May '18

China and Russia will both see how they can use DT's outsized ego to manipulate him to their advantage for as long as he holds office.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

Well sure that’s their job - remember Trump has mattis - let’s see how that plays out

Skippy Skippy
May '18

Trump misuderstood that denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula meant not just taking nukes away from N.Korea, it also meant removing the US ones from S.Korea.

If you keep the US Nukes in S. Korea, you have not denuclearized the entire peninsula.

Time to return the Nobel peace prize.

Dodgebaal Dodgebaal
May '18

in the end, much ado about nothing.... status quo remains. Yawn.

May '18

@Dodgebaal - the US has nukes in S. Korea?

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

Sure you don’t go to nuke mart and pick those up - and we have a presence at the DMZ for sure

Skippy Skippy
May '18

Obviously we have a military presence in S Korea, Skippy. Dodgebaal states we have a *nuclear* presence there. I'd like a source of credible info confirming the US has nuclear missles on the Korean Peninsula.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/00963402.2017.1388656

We removed them in 1991. The nukes we have there now are on subs etc

Skippy Skippy
May '18

I posted that same link earlier lol. That's what I thought.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

I just knew this so called meeting would never take place and I said it weeks and weeks ago---these two men will never meet......just a lot of baloney. Smoke screen of Kim Jung Un --so we let our guard down----yeah he will dismantle his ONE nuke that is not working anyway but he has others ready to go....

GranMom GranMom
May '18

Don't have to have nuclear "missiles" there. More like tactical nukes. Can't say they have them there for sure, but may very well be there for a strike of some kind.

Dodgebaal Dodgebaal
May '18

Bolton was hilarious.

"Libya model"

Can't make this up. He showed his hand.

SMH. Someone give Bolton some Aricept, please.

Dodgebaal Dodgebaal
May '18

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.