Thunderstorm Thread 2018

Here it comes

Chef peder Chef peder
May '18

Love it!!

auntiel auntiel
May '18

Didn't seem too bad...lots of lightning!

Darrin Darrin
May '18

And there it goes

Chef peder Chef peder
May '18

That's it? Boooooooo!!

auntiel auntiel
May '18

Yeah, shame... I'd like a nice long one..... just without the damaging wind we always seem to get in recent years!

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
May '18

I'm up in budd lake.. You can still see the lightning bolts from here, but you can't hear the thunder.. Someone is getting it something fierce. I got a bit of hail and about a half an inch of rain though.

Chef peder Chef peder
May '18

0.42" of rain here in Hackettstown,

KMC77
May '18

Dud!

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
May '18

might be an interesting afternoon for storm lovers. Bring it on

Lovetstorms Lovetstorms
May '18

I've got a cat who is not going to agree with how interesting it's going to be...

I'm just happy I'll be able to mow the grass today BEFORE Noah's Flood starts....

Rain ALL WEEK/WEEKEND.....

May '18

From the NWS:

Thunderstorms will develop to the north and west and spread southeastward into the area later this afternoon and tonight. Some of these storms may be severe, with strong winds, large hail and flash flooding the primary risks.

Calico696 Calico696
May '18

OEM Sending email they are monitoring storm. Possible 65 mph gusts

Just coach Just coach
May '18

https://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=NJZ007&warncounty=NJC041&firewxzone=NJZ007&local_place1=Hackettstown%20NJ&product1=Hazardous+Weather+Outlook&lat=40.8547&lon=-74.8307

Above is link to NWS page. Calico copied today's outlook, but wow, there is more to come over the coming days, too.

Question: what does "spotter activation" mean at the end? I've seen this before but I have no idea what spotters are and why they might be activated?

Also - anyone know what timing for today's storm looks like for Htown?

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

"Spotters" are people who who actively look for approaching thunderstorms and tornadoes and report to the proper authorities when one is observed. They get activated when severe weather is expected. "Skywarn" is one such group...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skywarn

ianimal ianimal
May '18

Earlier today channel 62 weather said between 4 and 4:30 for Warren county. We are supposed to get the brunt of it along with Sussex. It will get weaker as it moves southeast across the state.

I believe Spotters are people who took the course from NOAA and are trained to report conditions around NJ counties.

Spring fever Spring fever
May '18

Thank you both!

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

national weather service for Hackettstown - just now:
This AfternoonShowers and thunderstorms, mainly after 3pm. Some storms could be severe, with large hail, damaging winds, and heavy rain. High near 85. Southwest wind around 10 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

TonightShowers and thunderstorms likely, mainly before 8pm. Some of the storms could be severe. Cloudy, with a low around 58. Light and variable wind becoming north around 6 mph in the evening. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

4catmom 4catmom
May '18

I am in Washington, and the mountains always breaks them up....I always get so excited for a good one, but it always fizzles out.

Candace joseph Candace joseph
May '18

WRNJ said slight chance of isolated tornadoes.

GC-my cat will be very unhappy too.
She'll be under the couch.

May '18

Re: Thunderstorm Thread 2018

Warnings from Weather Works.

Calico696 Calico696
May '18

Now I need a Thundershirt.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

The radar shows it just crossed over the PA border. About a half hour to Hackettstown.

Botheredbyuu2 - Call me when your cat is on a first name bases with all of the Four Horsemen. Mine has seen them so many times she yells insults at them as they ride by.

And they yell back. ;-)

http://instantrimshot.com/index.php?sound=rimshot&play=true

Leaves starting to fly straight up in the air here in Mansfield at 4:20pm.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

big gusts in PV

4catmom 4catmom
May '18

It's here in Washington as of 4 minutes ago.strong winds, lightning just now and a big branch fell of my huge tree.

May '18

This one's bringing big-ass hailstones and heavy winds. Batten down the hatches, everybody.

ianimal ianimal
May '18

We lost power already.

Smilingbecs Smilingbecs
May '18

Coming very shortly to a town near you.

This does not look good, folks.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

Not bad in Hackettstown.

Sport
May '18

I don't even know how emergency services keep up at times like these.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

Hoooh boy! Here it comes!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
May '18

My poor puppy is so scared she's hiding in bathroom. All my loose stuff that was outback is now out front.

auntiel auntiel
May '18

Rain just started in Washington... No hail yet.

May '18

I have to say this is some of the strangest thunder I've ever hear. It sounds like three planes flying over head

peder hollinghurst peder hollinghurst
May '18

Sounds like some areas to the north and south got the show. Pretty weak here in htown. Such a shame.

Tstormlover
May '18

Power out in Independence, lost our canopy across yard and grandsons peddle tractor was picked up and ended up on chair

Hackettstown wife Hackettstown wife
May '18

Why is that a shame? Do you WANT trees and powerlines down, and associated devastation? Ever have a tree fall on your house and break roof rafters? Trust me, its not fun!

Deviljet
May '18

Sussex cty took the brunt for our area i think. Byram/green sound really bad

Deviljet - Don't you know by now that people get all pissed over what they call a "dud" and when they get the real thing all they do is come on here and complain about their damage and how long their power has been out. Sigh....

Calico696 Calico696
May '18

Well said Calico! This was a very dangerous storm, not your typical thunder and lightening show. It just amazes me that someone could be disappointed that we here in Hackettstown were extremely fortunate!

Deviljet
May '18

Mountain broke up the storms again . Fizzled out.

Just coach Just coach
May '18

My heart was a rushin'
My gutters were a flowin'
Spring is here for sure
And my trees are on the floor!

Hope everyone is ok! My power didn't go out, so I'm lucky.
Some yard cleanup tomorrow is on the agenda .... :-)

Robert Durana Robert Durana
May '18

I’m in Harmony, does anyone know how Route 46 from Belvidere to Hackettstown is? Thanks!

Happygirl Happygirl
May '18

No power, Ridge Road, Independence. Anybody else.

Mrs . Pipes Mrs . Pipes
May '18

I'm in Hackettstown and I have full power!

scottso scottso
May '18

Same on ridge lane @Mrs. pipes! Hope everyone gets their power back soon!

Positiveperson Positiveperson
May '18

big tree down on catswamp rd..near intersection with ryan rd..probably why your power is out

bug3
May '18

I got home and found my dog under the bed. That's a first. 14 years old.

maja2 maja2
May '18

Got railed....95% of my town is out of power. Luckily I had no damage other then the sleep I am about to loose....

I was driving during the brunt...thought my van was going to flip!

Darrin Darrin
May '18

Not too bad..my cats and kittens thoroughly enjoyed it....

Hope everyone gets their power back on soon...

positive positive
May '18

No power on Ridge Rd in Indy yet. It's been out about 5 1/2 hours.

Mrs . Pipes Mrs . Pipes
May '18

No power on Mt Rascal either.

Smilingbecs Smilingbecs
May '18

I was driving from Branchville to Hackettstown during the brunt of it as well Darrin. It was terrifying. I was afraid to pull over bc there were wires down on the sides of the roads and trees and branches were coming down. I didn't want to be a sitting duck. Catch 22 you could say lol

weebiekins weebiekins
May '18

Still no power off of Ridge Rd...

No mention on jcpl phone line when it will be restored. Ridge rd open. They shut off the power at the corner of Petersburg and ridge at 7 last night and the pole man said he had no clue when it would be bck on. At that point rd was closed but is now reopened

Camille Camille
May '18

Apparently north of here got hammered. Relatives in Andover no estimate of power restoration. Suspected tornado touchdown in Newton???

May '18

Still no power on Christine in Independence

Hackettstown wife Hackettstown wife
May '18

Ridge still out; no estimated restoration. I understand JCP&L has no estimates but it would be good if they would indicate the problem that needs fixing.

Mrs . Pipes Mrs . Pipes
May '18

https://www.accuweather.com/en/videos/tornado-touches-down-over-home-depot-store-in-new-jersey/n3agdwyje6u2xbbpowllqzatwnicug3g

weebiekins weebiekins
May '18

@weebiekins - that video is from the tornado in Howell NJ last summer.

Oh, the woman who posted it said it was from Newton lol. I guess she needed her 15 minutes lol My fault, I was so in awe I didn't read the caption

weebiekins weebiekins
May '18

Ridge Lane - JCP&L ETA for power restoration is now 8:30 PM tonight, as per their text.

Shutterbug Shutterbug
May '18

Andover estimate is 11:30pm TOMORROW Night. yikes.

May '18

Power back on Ridge Road. Now my hope is that it stays on. One day last week it went Down 3 times in a row; briefly each time; the longest a little over a half hour. Weird!

Mrs . Pipes Mrs . Pipes
May '18

A good sized maple went down behind my house with the wind yesterday...

Localchef Localchef
May '18

...and on its way down, hit a good sized catalpa and split it right down the main trunk.

Localchef Localchef
May '18

Power back on Ridge Lane shortly after 2PM. Wishing the same for everyone else . . .

Shutterbug Shutterbug
May '18

My parents live in Putnam county in NY. Roads are closed all over. Power might be out for weeks. Short storm, but bad!

Maja2 Maja2
May '18

WOW! Some nasty stuff just came through Oxford. The wind, rain, thunder and lightning were insane.

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '18

*!@& (!@*!) %&@* &^! human *&*@$## ^@%! Apocalypse %&@* &@^@&%$ Four Horseman %&@* %&@*!!!

Sugar Sugar
Jun '18

But now at lease there's a pretty rainbow. Better go hold my sister's paw. She's a bit off the deep end with these storms...

White Shoes White Shoes
Jun '18

A lot of thunder but little else. I felt a bit of a breeze a few minutes ago but even that’s gone,

Bessie Bessie
Jul '18

Torrential rain, thunder & lightening here in PV. Heard fire trucks going by a few minutes ago. Never a good sign.

Damn storm - like a mini-tornado went through Panther Valley! Had a tent set up for a party - now destroyed!!!

I really hate this. I really do. Just thought I would share that while I run away and hide from the end of the world....

Must be humanz behind it.

Sugar Sugar
Jul '18

Nasty thunder and lightning....streaks of sky to ground lightning near Mount Bethel Road.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Jul '18

That storm came from due East until 3/4 of the way through when it came from due West. That was a weird shift for this area.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Jul '18

It looked as if it formed right over the area. It was not on the radar then boom there it was.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Jul '18

Some nasty stuff is headed our way for this evening and in the overnight until tomorrow afternoon. A flash flood advisory has been issued for 2 am to 2 pm tomorrow.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '18

Anyone have a feline sized thunder shirt I could borrow??

I'm convinced she'd just tear if off, but Grandma Tuna thinks it would be perfect.... ;-)

I have some undershirts that might fit - but no thundershirts

4catmom 4catmom
Jul '18

Did anybody get rain last night? Not a drop here...

ianimal ianimal
Jul '18

Nothing in Washington.

Jul '18

Nothing here. The radar now shows the heavy stuff all to the south and heading onwards. There is still a secondary band to it that could last a bit. But it appears to be pretty weak, not at all like the warning that was put out.

some rain just started here in PV

4catmom 4catmom
Jul '18

Just lost power for a few minutes in hackettstown

JayP831 JayP831
Jul '18

Lots of puddles and wet roads driving to Madison this morning, and some drizzling throughout the morning. Not sure if there was anything more significant during the night.

Is this humidity going to break, ever?

Actual picture of my hair, attached.

Tracy Tracy
Jul '18

Heads up today and tonight.

From the NWS:

Showers and thunderstorms will affect the area this afternoon into this evening ahead of a strong cold front. These storms will have the potential to produce very heavy rain possibly leading to urban, small stream, and poor drainage flooding. In addition, some of these
storms could become severe and produce damaging winds.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '18

Wind is picking up in Panther Valley. At least I can skip watering the plants today!

Some drops in Hackettstown. And my cat is still staying put. That's the biggest miracle of all. She must want tuna.

Washington just had a ten minute down pour.

Spring Fever Spring Fever
Jul '18

Hubby just returned from picking up my prescriptions at CVS in Mansfield. Said he had to wait in the car about ten minutes before he could leave as it was raining so hard. Flooding in that area already too. Raining hard at home here now also...

joyful joyful
Jul '18

heap big rain coming.

hail one hour ago on rt 31 in Washington (near Dairy Queen)..

heavy rain, saw a huge bolt of lightning strike the ground near the liquor store in the SR parking lot. Had to wait about 10-15 minutes until safe. Stranger Danger!

It was like a monsoon here in Oxford. Seemed to go on forever. No hail. Just heavy rain, thunder and lightning.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '18

I got out of work an hour early, we lost electricity. JCP&L showed 7,000 people without power. We were one of them, lol.

Bessie Bessie
Aug '18

Lost my birthday weekend to Boston thanks to the storms and our flight getting cancelled. Womp womp.

Tracy Tracy
Aug '18

Sorry to hear that Tracy. That stinks!

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '18

6 am downpour very very heavy rain .

Just coach Just coach
Aug '18

Another soggy weekend , storms predicted throughout Saturday and Sunday .

Just coach Just coach
Aug '18

Re: last night's/ early morning storm, that was the loudest thunder and most frequent lightning I have ever heard or seen in my life!
It sounded like it was right over Washington for hours. Rain was bad too but no puddles left on my property that I can see. Cat thought it was the 4 th of July all over again!!

Aug '18

Flash flood warning for our area until 5:30 pm.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '18

I got a Nixel warning about 20 minutes ago that Washington is under the flood warning till 1:00 A. M. It's raining right now.

Aug '18

heap big downpour coming

Thunder and Lightning in PV now.

mom with kids mom with kids
Aug '18

Heads up for later today. From the NWS:

Showers and thunderstorms this afternoon and evening will be capable of very heavy downpours which could lead to localized flash flooding especially in poor drainage areas and locations that have already saturated ground.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '18

Wow....at the Rockaway mall parking lot the lightning is unbelievable wide view

Just coach Just coach
Aug '18

Looks like another one coming our way.

Dodgebaal Dodgebaal
Aug '18

Rainiest summer ever! :(

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '18

The worst.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Aug '18

Batten down the hatches

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Sep '18

It got super dark and windy here 10 minutes ago, but no rain. It's lightning up now, but the radar shows that it's coming. C'mon cooler temps!!!

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '18

Loud thunder - love it.

Just coach Just coach
Sep '18

Just had a giant downpour!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Sep '18

It must have skirted right around us. Not one drop.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '18

The temperature reading on my car thermometer was 95 degrees as I passed Mountainview Chalet. By the time I got to the rest stop on the other side of Jugtown Mountain, it was down to 74 degrees. I dont think I've witnessed a 21 degree drop in 4 minutes before.

ianimal ianimal
Sep '18

We had a few drops...Washington area.

Sep '18

Power half out Willow Grove. Down wires.

auntiel auntiel
Sep '18

We definitely got the downpours at the top of the mountain in Mount Olive.

Tracy Tracy
Sep '18

Only 0.09" in Hackettstown. Temp dropped from 92 to 71 after thunderstorm passed this evening.

KMC77
Sep '18

Sort of a dud here in Lopatcong. My plants are disappointed....

positive positive
Sep '18

"My plants are disappointed "

So why don't you take care of your plants and water them.

happiest girl
Sep '18

"So why don't you take care of your plants and water them."

And who is nasty?

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '18

"And who is nasty?"

You, and your foolish puppet that copy-cats you.
FYI --- not *beware* (I know you like FYI) It's all in the other posts for anyone to read.

My, you really attempt to protect your followers, don't you!!
LOL

happiest girl
Sep '18

What is wrong with you really? Underwear to too tight? Menopause? Thorn in your paw? Bee in your bonnet? Maybe you should try anger management.

Yes, I can be snarky, but I can also be helpful and friendly. I never known you to be either of the latter.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '18

now we've got some thunder rolling in this thread!

" *I never known* you to be either of the latter."

What is wrong with you really? Can't read?? Or you just prefer to lie??
SMH

happiest girl
Sep '18

You know what, I'm done responding to your comments. I'm tired of going around an around with you.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '18

YAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The instigator has deflated!!!

happiest girl
Sep '18

This is HL Calico, I’m sure someone else will step up and take over for you lol

justintime justintime
Sep '18

JIT - Yes, I'm sure of that. ;-)

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '18

Ignore the troll, calico! :)

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Sep '18

2019, now, but crazy wind, lightning and thunder in Clinton!

maja2 maja2
Mar '19

Heck of a line of thunderstorms moving through southern Warren County now.

ianimal ianimal
May '19

Going good at 0030 hours 5/21/19

Iamrite Iamrite
May '19

WeatherChannel web site doppler --- day late, dollar short, ever time.

WeatherChannel TV --- useless unless you have major regional disaster.....

What really hurts is I swear a couple of years ago, it was spot on.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
May '19

I agree SD. I stopped using anything Weather Channel years ago, after the elderly gentleman left the show for health reasons. He was their “backbone” and go-to person for bad storms. Either they don’t know how to interpret their newer technology or they
have poorly trained weather people on board. Sad.

Spring Fever Spring Fever
May '19

Last night we all got warnings to immidiatly go into the lowest point in your house for safety, don't wait to see the tornado, you won't see it through the heavy rain! I followed the radar as I stood in my laundry room with my daughter and 2 petrified dogs. We watched as radar showed the red zone move in closer and eventually hover over our home address on the map!
There was no rain, no thunder, no wind. Is radar faked? Did ANYONE in Warren County NJ get any physical evidence of a storm?

Cryss Cryss
May '19

You guys are all in the wrong year . Lol
There is a 2019 tstorm thread

May '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.