Hyandai Dealership Mailers

I thought I won A Hyandai Sante Fe SUV with their pull-off ticket! I thought I won their SUV! Come to find out, most if not all the tickets show 3 of the same item that corresponds to winning their car ~ which I have!! Yes!~ I told my friends I won a Hyandai SUV!!

Come to find out, it's a scam to get you into the dealership: You have to match your personal number that is next to your name on the mailer, with their "winning number" AT the dealership. What a Scam. What a farse.

See the article below:

https://sharonahill.com/2016/05/27/you-didnt-win-jackpot-scams-from-the-car-dealer/

Hackresident Hackresident
Apr '18

Mine went right in the garbage, plus I got rid of my Hyandai

Hillary
Apr '18

I went .....and of course my numbers didn’t match,but I got a $5 gift card for Wal-Mart as a consolation prize ! Lolll...

Yup,I too won the Hyandai Sante Fe SUV or 30K bucks. But I didn't call them and threw the mailer in the thrash

TheFuture TheFuture
Apr '18

Your first clue should have been that they spelled Hyundai incorrectly - if that is how is was printed on the card.

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Apr '18

Read the print - it gives you odds that you know what you're getting. These things have been around for decades. This doesn't seem to be all that surprising.

I am sorry that happened to you; that is just mean!
I am happy that you posted your story though; maybe people will not buy their cars there, and if word gets around enough, these dealers will be without customers and cease to exist!

Nallie Nallie
Apr '18

All mail from car dealers is a scam. Period. End of story. No Exceptions. Their radio ads are too. Pick the right key out of 100, make 3 hole in one's in a row, and then you'll get cash back if you can grab some bills from a bouncehouse with a hurricane fan on.

Car dealers have the scamist marketing short or ED pills.

Call them up and curse them out. Ask to speak to the general manager or sales manager and tell them SPECIFICALLY you will never even consider buying a car from them because of their scamy ads.
Then if you are a vengeful person, file a complaint with the BBB and FTC too. Really make those losers suffer.

I have seen local dealers send automated "handwritten" letters, complete with ink smudges. When you have a background in graphic design and typography, those things are easy to spot (every time the same letter is used it looks exactly the same, no ink bleeds, all text is well aligned and the zip code on the mailing label is out of state).

They also do the fake checks, blank envelopes, pull your personal information from the state's car registration (especially if you have a lease). That "handwritten" letter? Mentioned my car by model year and color and gave a particular price for a trade in.

I've taken to cursing them out on twitter (Facebook works too), directly at their page, citing specifically what they do, and for the really bad ones, report them to the FTC and occasionally calling. Costs me 20 minutes of time, but I guarantee it costs them a lot more!

Michael Fitzpatrick- Michael Fitzpatrick-
Apr '18

you are the reason that they have these mailers.

noreaster noreaster
Apr '18

Hackresident, I'm guessing your real name is "Current Resident" then? Was it even addressed to you specifically? That should have been your first indication. I've gotten plenty of those from Honda and Hyundai dealerships. All dropped into the recycle bin unopened.

Anyone ever notice it's the dealerships who sell lower-end cars that send the lottery-winning adverts? Anything I get from the Audi dealer tries to upsell me on the experience I could be having in a higher model... Nothing for free there!

YeahRight YeahRight
Apr '18

Wouldn't it be a much less stressful to just throw the mailer in the trash?..like most people do

Bug3
Apr '18

I think it's safe to say that anything that comes from a car dealer is a scam to get you there. Also hyandai's are complete garbage. Can't believe people actually fall for this crap.

LJRubi LJRubi
Apr '18

File under- Junk Mail!!

auntiel auntiel
Apr '18

they actually had my name on the flyer. there's a picture of a 'winner' from February 2018 on the flyer in front of their car w/ the winning ticket....I wonder if it is a real/true winner or another fake scam.

Apr '18

Did you really think you won a car? Really? Boggles my mind!

GranMom GranMom
Apr '18

It's a scam

Scam is a bit harsh. I went to Hackettstown Hyundai with a flyer saying I would get UP TO a $1000 Visa card for a test drive. The salesman was completely honest with me saying there was one $1000 card somewhere nationwide and the rest were $5. Of course, I got a $5 card but I spent an hour on a boring Saturday afternoon driving a brand new car and listening to a sales pitch. I didn't buy. I guess it depends on what your definition of "scam" is.

Parental Unit Parental Unit
Apr '18

Chill Michael! SMH at all who thought they actually won. Did you enter to win?
Wouldn't they call you IF you did enter some contest they had? SMH AGAIN!

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
Apr '18

I received the same mailer. First, it was addressed to my son "or Current Resident". That right there should tell you something. Then, if you read it, it says that if all three symbols match, you win one of the prizes below. The prizes below are either a car, cash, or a Walmart Gift Card.

Then, if you read the fine print it says that 69,856 of the 70,000 mailed will get a $5.00 Walmart Gift Card. The little graphic at the top of the flyer is a bit misleading, as they have a list of possible prizes and show the car next to the three cherries, which everyone gets.

I was always wondering if people actually fall for these gimmicks, but I guess they do.

You people who didn't read the fine print are all morons. It's not a scam as you idiots call it. It's called ADVERTISING!!! Wake up, not everything is a scam. By law, they can't not award a prize if they say so. In other words, if they say someone can win an SUV then someone will IF they abide by the rules of the contest. There's no scam or catch to this. WAKE UP PEOPLE!

Skier Skier
Apr '18

smh just smh

4catmom 4catmom
Apr '18

It’s hardly a scam. It’s a marketing technique that they are using to trick the 5% of the population that actually believes a company would randomly give away $30,000 worth of ANYTHiNG for free.

So, in that regard, congrats, you’re a real “winner.”

Edit: if you’re very young or very old or have a disability, I apologize if I came across as rude. Otherwise, c’mon man!!!

Consigliere
Apr '18

Re: Hyandai Dealership Mailers

Here is the reason you didn't win

I WON!!!!

the line in the yellow part of the ad, separating the cherries with the car/prize, is their legal defense, making it 2 separate columns, not to be read across.

deceiving and worth $5.00 if you have the winning 3 cherries!! not $30,000 car or $30,000 cash, but a Walmart $5.00 card. i'll go buy myself a pound of Cherries OR some Scotties', lol.

Apr '18

It does look like you won, CBGB!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Apr '18

Time for A Class Action Suit.

lol.

Apr '18

I don't see it that way. SMH AGAIN.

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
Apr '18

SCAM , don't buy there!

All American All American
Apr '18

What does "SMH AGAIN" stand for?

Apr '18

Shaking My Head again.

Pretty sure BMW and Mercedes dealerships don't use these techniques.

Eperot Eperot
Apr '18

one dealer sent a key last year. was it Hyandai again?

Apr '18

@ Michael Fitzpatrick I am just curious, do you also file complaints with the BBB or the FTC if you don't somehow instantly transport to a beach when you have a beer? Or if you don't end up with a group of friends at some roof top party by putting on a shirt? You sound like someone that has way to much time on your hands.

irishresq irishresq
Apr '18

Mercedes, BMW and Audi will never use these practices because people actually want to own and drive these cars. Others wouldn't be caught dead in a Hyundai or Kia.

BMW and Mercedes deakers just screw you over for standard maintenance

Bug3
Apr '18

wait you told your friends you won an SUV? even before going to the dealership? How do you not read the fine print on the back?

njlawyer njlawyer
Apr '18

Can't afford the maintenance shouldn't buy the car.

"instantly transport to a beach when you have a beer?"

This hasn't worked yet, but I keep trying!

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Apr '18

Just got mine today. We have a common mail box in a garden apt.. The superintendent has a garbage can in back of it. Everyone picks up there mail and goes around to the back to file it.

Old Gent Old Gent
Apr '18

Most high priced cars are done on a lease, so maintenance is included. Not a worry. Unless you have to shake hands with a $20 bill just to get an appointment. They have other issues too. Last time I went to BMW they wouldn't discuss anything other than a drive - no prices, no terms, nothing about equipment. Only a test drive or nothing. And then they picked the car they wanted me in, they considered themselves far better at knowing what I wanted than I did. And Mercedes told me they were doing me a favor by LETTING me buy their car. I would prefer to get either one of those cars used so I could buy it somewhere else.

But those come on mailers have been put out by Lexus or Acura dealers too. It's probably got more to do with the dealer than the price of the car.

I would not put Lexus or Acura in the same category as luxury flagships Mercedes, BMW, and Audi. They’re really just re-badged Toyotas and Hondas.

Had absolutely no issues when I went to finance my Audi (and it was not a higher-end model). The salesman handed me keys and told me to bring it back before they closed. I was treated with respect and the salesman did not try to sell me more than I wanted.

YeahRight YeahRight
Apr '18

Audi = rebadged VW if you have that thinking. Six bad ignition coils, four oil pumps, and a blown engine later I don't think Audi could be more than what anyone wanted.

Amusingly I love VW.

Don't get me wrong- they have their issues. But I avoid dealers for ANY brand- whether car or motorcycle. I'll diagnose and fix it myself- thank you. I'll still drive my 12 cyls. :)

2 fun facts a lot of people are not aware of-

First- Car dealerships make much more money off service than they do on the sale of the car. The entire purpose of the circus that is a car dealership is to get people in for service. Ever notice car dealerships grow and expand like property on a Monopoly board? Several NFL team owners also own car dealerships. There are only soo many times you can go to Paris or Hawaii before you get bored and say- what do I do next? Oh yea- I guess I'll buy a football team.

#2- VW is the worlds largest automaker- which owns brands such as Audi, Lamborghini, Bentley, Porsche, Ducati, Bugatti, Seat, Skoda, etc. Nobody does high tech, high performance better. Yea- at a cost, both physically and fiscally.

Sorry GC, Lexus, Acura and Infiniti are “near luxury.” Lexus is definitely at the top of that pile but no real enthusiast, even if they own a Lexus, would put them in the same catagory as Bmw Merc or Audi. Every three years I test drive a lex and/or Infiniti and the last 3 times I’ve gone with a German (335xi, S4, 340i). If you care about driving but have to drive a four door sedan, nothing Japan produces can even hold a candle. The fit and finish is on par with some models but the driving dynamics are not.

Consigliere
Apr '18

I own a BMW M car. The motor is great. The car looks nice.

The interior while visually attractive is garbage in build quality.

The rest of that car in my opinion has questionable build quality.

It is no VW / Audi. Not even close. Not even at twice the price.

I remember joking with my brother in law when he bought his BMW that it was a glorified Kia.

No offense to Kia- I own one of those as well. But at a much less of a purchase price point so some things are acceptable.

But- as a relevant data point, I also think that almost *all* the cars quality and cutting corners has changed quote a bit since the early/mid 90's. That is truly the time frame for build it right.

Sure fuel economy has improved, headlights have improved, brakes, airbags, engine output per displacement- but as far as a bullet proof reliable well thought out vehicle that was built to last? Hmmm-

Does a modern Camry even remotely compare to a 92, 93 era Camry? No.

Is a modern Mercedes (since we are talking high end) built as well as an early 90's?

Hell- a late 70's- 80's MB diesel are really a tank. Simple, solid, reliable.

"The interior while visually attractive is garbage in build quality.

The rest of that car in my opinion has questionable build quality.

It is no VW / Audi. Not even close. Not even at twice the price."

i've been a lifelong VW owner, and still have one but my daily is a BMW, and I think it's pretty obvious that the BMW is quite a bit better in quality than any VW. (OK, well, maybe except a Phaeton). The interior is subdued but very well sorted and gets high marks in my book. Alcantara steering wheel? Heaven.

I will agree the 80s and early 90's Mercs are absolute tanks.

eperot eperot
Apr '18

Shhhh- you aren't supposed to know what a Phaeton is. Keep the best kept secret a secret. :)

Also- when we are discussing build quality, are you taking the cars apart?

I am. I do all my own repairs and have a lift in my garage. :)

Yes, Josh. I also do my own repairs, although I envy your garage and lift.
I find my 3 series is far easier to work on than my ex-wife's Mk5 Golf was. Brake jobs on the VW (especially in the back) were impossible without a lift. Insane torque values, limited space, etc.

I rebuilt my VANOS on the BMW this past summer and it was really straightforward, plus oil filter housing gasket, valve cover gasket, and full cooling system replacement. Everything was a cinch. Even the front control arm bushings were easier than my old GTI.

But since you bring it up, can we be friends so I can get my car on your lift to drop my exhaust and replace my guibo bushing? :) I'll let you metal-detect on my property and you can keep what you find....

eperot eperot
Apr '18

Ahh the dreaded guibo! I just did a trans output drive flange seal- might as well be the same thing. PITA.

I'll agree alot of stuff on the bmw are easier to work on. You moved the goal posts. ;)

Full cooling system replacement? Yea- sounds like a normal day for a BMW.

Same on the VANOS. That is the reason my M is a 2000 and not a 2002.

Of course a lot of repairs would be much easier if we were out west in dry non salted areas.

There was nothing wrong with the cooling system...preventative. I do work before stuff goes bad.

Eperot Eperot
Apr '18

We received one of these mailers and saw we "won" the grand prize. I immediately thought it was a scam. Since I live close to the dealership, I drove on over to confirm my suspicions. I was handed $5 Wal-Mart card and was informed I was not indeed a grand prize winner.

BigCat BigCat
Apr '18

It DOES look like we all win a car per the 3 cherries pairing across (a vertical line...) from the prize: A car or $30,000 !

Don't they (Hyandai) realize that POTENTIAL new customers will be upset when they think they won, (viewing or not viewing the fine print underneath a check, not the 3 cherries), go in to the dealer to view a numbered board and/or claim their price of a Car, and find out that they cleverly created the card to get you in there to instead sell you a car, in case you didn't win?

Don't they think this may potentially drive potential new customers away instead of buying a car from them, from the frustration and amazement that they didn't win, all of us having the 3 cherries on the card?

Yes, maybe someone they sent the cards out to will win. Let them post publically who won the car from the Hackettstown area, or who had the winning ticket and received by the Home Owner but they didn't show up to claim their prize.

Hope they got a sale out of their mailouts of non wins.......waste of our time setting aside an early evening to see if we won.

Apr '18

Dealerships exist on being bottom feeders.

From sales to service- they are trying to rip people off.

Anyone with a conscience or soul doesn't last long in that environment.

SO- what that means is 2 things-

#1- they have angry people all the time- this postcard isn't going to faze them

#2- they rely dearly on new ignorant foot traffic to walk in the door that they can try to convert.

Not much different than any church or politician. :)

People don't read anymore, Big Cat you would have seen that CBGB won 4 days ago(see his previous post)

eapos eapos
Apr '18

Oh, my word! I've won as well! I'm so excited.

Nice Old Person
Apr '18

To me reliability is the most important value in a vehicle. To other's, it it might be performance.
I wish my ex wife was as reliable as my car.
At least I have a reliable car.

Dodgebaal Dodgebaal
Apr '18

Dealers a rip off for repairs? no s--t. they were going to charge me like $200 to replace a back window bulb that was out (for all the "labor" mostly) and a mechanic in another town replaced the bulb for like $60 or less from memory.

Any car dealers in Hackettstown or Budd Lake honest that give you a great price on a new vehicle? What brand do you all recommend for "someday"? (under $23,000). What makes are reliable that last for many miles w/ fewer repairs?

Apr '18

I don't know where that big fuss came from all of a sudden... Folks, Hyundai dealership is doing that for years. They did it while under old (original) management, named Hackettstown Hyundai (when they purchased that diner building years ago), they are still doing that now, while called "Route 46 Hyundai". All their correspondence goes to recycle bin immediately, and unopened.
Next: I read some interesting discussions here about Hyundai quality vs. other cars (especially German) quality. Oh boy: let me tell you something: I remember owning 2009 BMW 335i: what a piece of garbage. I was at the dealership service/repair more often than at my job! If I start listing all the problems I had with that car, you will get tired of reading that list.
My daughter's boyfriend has 2010 Hyundai Elantra. That car has about 220K miles on it, and it's still in good shape.
Do you want me to tell you how much I paid for my BMW and how much that guy paid for his Hyundai?

You ought the Bmw new? We bought my wife’s 328 new in 2012. It has 73,000 miles and zero repairs. My 340 only has 20k but no problems there either. Bmws aren’t cars that you want to take much further than 100,000 unless you want to pull out your wrenches, wallet, hair, or all I’ve the above.

Also, you’re comparing apples and oranges. How much he paid for a Hyundai vs your Bmw? So what? Just because they both have four wheels doesn’t mean they are the same thing.

Do you know what my friends father paid for his Bentley? More than my first house. It depreciated the value of a Panther Valley condo in 4 years and required a few rather expensive repairs. I guess that means Hyundai is “better” than Bentley too. Thanks for your insight :)

Consigliere
Apr '18

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.