Is Gettysburg really haunted?

We wanted to visit Gettysburg,but scared to some extent after coming across reports that it's the most haunted place in America.

Timetraveller Timetraveller
Apr '18

That's a question for john c I'm sure he ll be commenting soon.

Marty Mcfly Marty Mcfly
Apr '18

I've been there. Did not see anything scary. Go :)

maja2 maja2
Apr '18

There are no such things as ghosts. Rely on scientific data and empirical evidence.

eperot eperot
Apr '18

That shouldn't stop anyone from going there. If you see lots of ghosts there you probably already see lots of ghosts everywhere. Go.

You will love it there. Ghosts won't bother you. Enjoy your trip.

John C John C
Apr '18

One of the great landmarks in our country. It's a must see.

I was a non-believer in ghost and stuffs all my life until 1 incident shooked me. One friend who serves in the army in a very old fort where many battles took place,he said soldiers complained to him about seeing things and hearing noises of fight,cries at night. This fort has been converted to an army barrack. I want to visit the historical place of Gettysburg before I leave America. I have travelled many states in the US,seen many historical and natural places in the US. I have had many wonderful and good experience to remember in all places I have been. People are always nice,courteous and kind.

Timetraveller Timetraveller
Apr '18

Gettysburg has more to offer than just the battlefield area. You will enjoy it.

Lancaster is not as far away but is another very interesting place with lots to do.

Different time, different war, but if you're interested in American history, Fort Ticonderoga is something you shouldn't miss. It's about an hour longer drive than Gettysburg.

Spent a night sleeping on the makeshift Confederate hospital grounds. No ghosties there and had to be some of the most hallowed ground.

Good place for a bike, just park and peddle around the park. Just one big hill and it's got a Roundtop :>)

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Apr '18

Be sure to visit the Gettysburg Museum of History.

https://www.gettysburgmuseumofhistory.com/

Some more info on Gettysburg: https://www.nps.gov/gett/index.htm

Shirley Shirley
Apr '18

It felt haunted to me. And was.
But Salem was the creepiest most haunted feeling place we visited.

Older Mom Older Mom
Apr '18

It is not haunted with ghosts but with the memory of the lives lost there. If you take the time and stand quietly and still, and recall the events that occurred there, you will feel a sense of silence. Like the quiet sense of peace that you get in a cemetery. What you feel will depend on you and how much thought you put into the events of the time.

JBJSKJ JBJSKJ
Apr '18

I was at an 'allowed' metal detecting event at a private property last fall in Gettysburg. Not a common thing out there..

I would suggest going- very interesting place.

I spent an evening at an outside bar that the brick building next to us had countless bullet holes in it from the battles. They told me Lincoln passed on the street I walked up in front, and gave a speech. I stood there drinking several beers and trying to comprehend all that...

and the next morning at the hunt, I found a civil war bullet. The local town / museum historian was there- and he took great interest in it. He said something about it was unique and was only used by Custer's regiment.

Well worth the trip.

As far as ghosts- no offense to anyone that died at Gettysburg- but if you are concerned about such things I would be much more inclined to say that all the murdered American Indians have a right to be upset. Anyone in the civil war pales in comparison as far as spirits go..

John C- I am local and would be interested if you are interested- any local sites you want to see what is a few inches under the grass- I can detect and we can see. Better than letting the stuff rot- which it undeniably is. :)

Gettysburg is great. We were just there a little over a year ago. A really fun time exploring history. We didn't see any ghosts. LOL

We stayed in the Inn at Herr Ridge and it was fabulous. Highly recommend.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '18

No. There's no such things as hauntings or ghosts. However, there are gullible people and people who try to make a buck off them.

alpha1beta alpha1beta
Apr '18

Ghosts aren’t real and even if they were I doubt they would bother an innocent tourist.

1988LJ 1988LJ
Apr '18

Ghost's aren't real?

What about angels, are they real? Or goblins, or zombies?

Time for a vote...

Dodgebaal Dodgebaal
Apr '18

Don't forget to stop in Cashtown PA on the way and spend the night in their inn....

http://www.cashtowninn.com/pages/gallery/ghosts/ghosts.html

The Cashtown Inn I'd currently closed.

John C John C
Apr '18

On the way be sure to stop at Roadside America. Perhaps make an offer as it is up for sale.

https://www.ydr.com/story/news/local/pennsylvania/2018/04/04/roadside-america-85-year-old-landmark-berks-county-sale/485338002/

Roadside America should sell T-shirts that read: "I sharted in Shartlesville"... that would put them back in the black, lol.

ianimal ianimal
Apr '18

"The Cashtown Inn I'd currently closed."

Really? It's must have closed very recently. There is a review on Trip Advisor from people who just stayed there in February.

I hope someone buys and keeps Roadside America open. I remember going there when I was a kid was always really surprised that it was still there so many years later passing by as an adult.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '18

Cashtown closed March 10th.

John C John C
Apr '18

I also went to Roadside America as a kid and again with my own kids just a few months ago. I don't think they've done anything in the way of maintenance or upkeep in the intervening 35 years. I usually can't get weeanimal to leave anywhere that's train-related without kicking and screaming the whole way. He offered zero resistance when I told him it was time to go. Tear it down...

ianimal ianimal
Apr '18

Go on you tube. I don't believe anything is made up. Just type in Gettysburg gost. I am a believer. I've been wanting to go for some time now. Just to far to drive alone. Please go and let us know if the family enjoyed it and if you saw anything. Have fun!

American born American born
Apr '18

I go to Gettysburg at least every two years. I love it. I HAVE seen ghosts there. They don't hurt you. If you get a chance to go try November. Their Remembrance Day Parade is a great time to go.

Snowflake
Apr '18

https://www.lehighvalleylive.com/allentown/2020/11/worlds-greatest-indoor-miniature-village-shutting-down-after-nearly-9-decades.html

It looks like the end of a regional icon...

That is sad. I always enjoy the old time neat places like this. Same with the old amusement parks, putt-putt, and the like. So glad I took my kids to most.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Nov '20

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.