What to do with injured feral cat?

I live in Alexandria Apt. complex. Tonight when I came home, I found a cat limping and whimpering. It has it's entire foot missing - the wound looks new. It's red and swollen. Looks like something may have tried to eat the cat or it was hit by a car. Regardless - it is scared and injured. It wouldn't come to me - it's one of the ferals and is clearly very scared. Is there anyone I can contact about this? I feel terrible

mungiee mungiee
Feb '18

Animal control. They will come get it and get it the care it needs.

Jesse341 Jesse341
Feb '18

An emergency vet clinic, possibly one of the wildlife rescue groups. Please call ASAP.

The newton animal hospital is open 24/7. The number is 973-836-5275.

Please, please find help for the poor baby :(

Katherine Katherine
Feb '18

Wildlife groups cannot work on domestic animals. Taking it to an ER vet is going to cost mungiee a fortune. The cat will need surgery and most people don't have that kind of cash available. His best bet is animal control, or trapping it and taking it to common sense for animals, if they do that type of thing.
I have a trap as well as cat food. Let me know, mungiee if you need the trap.

Jesse341 Jesse341
Feb '18

I was under the impression that animal control would just put the animal down, which is the only reason I didn’t suggest it. My bad.

Katherine Katherine
Feb '18

I'm wondering if there's a rescue group I can contact? I do not have the means to trap it. I can let them know the exact parking lot to visit. Cat may also be in woods/train tracks or near dumpster

mungiee mungiee
Feb '18

This absolutely breaks my heart :(
All you can do is call Animal Control. Here is the info. Tx for caring about this cat ❤

http://www.hackettstown.net/animal-control-officer/

Jacqui Jacqui
Feb '18

Mungiee, contact common sense for animals and ask them. But animal control will probably be fastest. I can lend you a trap if you want to borrow it.

Jesse341 Jesse341
Feb '18

Can you get a have a heart trap? Good luck kind friend! :-)

I hope you've made calls by now to get help for this kitty

4catmom 4catmom
Feb '18

Mungiee, I sent you a pm

positive positive
Feb '18

Can we have an update on this cat?

happiest girl
Feb '18

Re: What to do with injured feral cat?

Harmony Animal Hospital should help you.. they are 24/7:

They helped take in a dog we rescued on a Rt 80 rest stop many years ago on T-Day!

Call them, plus info. is below.. good luck!

If you need a cage, let me know, I can drop one off for you.

AJ Moore Sattely AJ Moore Sattely
Feb '18

PS
Here is a past blog post, which you can contact these volunteers to help you:

The rescue trappers contacted US from our Facebook posts. They are affiliated with Eleventh Hour Rescue which is located on Route 10 in Randolph, NJ. Their phone is: (973) 664-0865. You can see them on the web at www.ehrdogs.org/ The trappers are strictly volunteers, people like you and me BUT have been trained and are very experienced in trapping lost dogs. They have never missed catching a lost dog. They never asked us for money. Their time spent (I can't even count the hours) was free to us. There were three of them working with us. The one who coordinated the entire effort, lives in Stillwater. You can find her on Facebook -- Jeanette Sinisgalli Campbell. The one who was with us night and day lives in Long Valley but would prefer to remain anonymous. The third is a young man who lives in Mount Olive. Alex has future aspirations to go to school to become a veterinarian. Both of these people trained under Jeanette, their mentor. These people are strictly volunteers. They are paid in the pride of a job well done and the joy of reuniting lost dogs with their owners.

Gene Sheninger Gene Sheninger ✉
November 14th

HackresidentHackresident ✉
1 week ago

Feb '18

Try common sense in stewartsville or call Hackettstown animal hospital and see what they say

Waldo Waldo
Feb '18

Where is the cat? I have a trap

My god I hope someone got it....

Summer Summer
Feb '18

Mungiee, thanks for getting back to us?

Many offers of help and it's been a whole day now...time is of the essence for this cat to survive.

positive positive
Feb '18

Okay folks, sorry for the late reply. I don’t use the internet much. I have not spotted the cat since the original siting. I was told animal control would put the cat down. If there is anyone out there who has the means to trap it - I will give you building # and where to look. I am very busy, have not been around. I do not have the means to do this myself. If there is someone out there who would like to come look for the cat please respond, i will tell you where I live. I am concerned the cat has not made it. There is a large colony of ferals in this spot. I imagine trapping it could be difficult. Again, i apologize for not replying sooner.

Mungiee Mungiee
Feb '18

I do not want to trap the cat, I don’t have a trap. This is not something I am capable of dealing with. I am simply reaching out because I saw an injured animal and I know there are people out there who live for this. I didn’t want to say nothing and go on with my life. I hope there is someone who can find it. Please private message for location, I do not feel comfortable posting here.

Mungiee Mungiee
Feb '18

Call animal control, they will come and find it and get it the care it needs. They are professionals. What is the point of asking for help if you are not going to follow through or follow up with the people you were asking to help you. If animal control had been called today they would have come out and handled it. Animal control does not put animals down, they find them care and take them to shelters.

Jesse341 Jesse341
Feb '18

Several posters have offered their traps. Yes, it's very difficult to trap a cat, but if you know the cat's schedule, when he comes around for food you'd have a better chance trapping him.

Once he is trapped I will take him for medical attention.

If nothing is done he will suffer..likely a slow painful death.

Please PM me if you find him.

positive positive
Feb '18

Hi Mungiee, maybe just post here to let people know if animal control was called. If not, just post your building number or the bldg # next to you. Not any personal info. Someone will check the area for the cat.

maja2 maja2
Feb '18

Mungee, PM me privately on the location: windwaterandwood@gmail.com

I will take care of it, thanks

Feb '18

Has anyone received a response from the OP?

Jesse341 Jesse341
Feb '18

Area is Building #25-24. The small cat colony hangs out near the train tracks and dumpsters. This cat is black and white, and obviously has the injury. I am sorry for the lateness of my reply. I am overwhelmed by the response this has gotten and did not expect it. I have responded to many with the same location. I spotted the cat one more time since original posting.

mungiee mungiee
Feb '18

Just wanted to update all of you that I received a kind message from someone who knows this cat and has been trying to trap him for some time. Apparently the cat has had this injury for a while and it not as bad as I thought it was - although the cat still desperately needs help of course.

I would like to note that I do not understand why so many of you are being rude. I repeatedly said that I do not have the means or time to trap the cat or get it the care that it needs. I was told by multiple people that animal control would have the cat euthanized. I noticed an animal in need and posted hoping someone WOULD have the means to care for it. I responded to all messages.

I will never post to this forum again. Thanks to all those who were kind and who have maybe gone out today in an attempt to look for this cat. I hope he is able to be trapped and cared for. If i can give any more information or assistance to anyone please let me know. If you are going to be rude do not send me an e-mail.

mungiee mungiee
Feb '18

I don't think anyone on this post was rude. It is just frustrating when one asks for help for an injured animal and does not provide all the info needed for people to provide the help requested. Hopefully the cat is trapped and gets the care it needs.

Jesse341 Jesse341
Feb '18

Mungiee thank you for everything you did for this cat. It’s good to know there are people looking out for vulnerable creatures. I’m so sorry you received so much negativity. You did the right thing, even though you didn’t have the ability to follow through on every detail (most wouldn’t!).

Katherine Katherine
Feb '18

Mungiee, thanks for the update.

As for people being rude, I don't see that on here. I see very concerned people who offered to help and became even more concerned when it took you quite sometime to reply back.

I hope everything works out for the poor guy.

positive positive
Feb '18

Jesse was mad that he offered to lend me a trap, even though I said I could not do anything about it, and I didn't respond. And then asked me what the point of my post was if I wasn't going to accept help.
Positive said "thanks to getting back to us?" and claimed it was many days now??

I replied to every private message via email that was somebody who was asking me my location so they could come assist the cat. I thought it was very rude I was being hounded even though I did my part and passed on the info to people who wanted to try and help.

So yes, it was rude that all I tried to do was find someone who could help the cat and I was hounded for not trying to trap it myself or reply to every single message. I have been in contact with several people who know where to look and have the means to help the cat.

I didn't just post about it for giggles and then ignore all responses. Give me a break.

mungiee mungiee
Feb '18

I wasn't mad that you couldn't trap the cat, I can totally understand that. If you reread the post you will see that I offered you the trap before you said you didn't feel comfortable trapping the cat. Originally you said you do not have the means to trap the cat, which is why I offered you the trap.
Mungiee, nobody was mean or rude, they were concerned about the cat. You have to understand the other side of this. We all understand that you are worried about the cat and we appreciate your concern. However, if someone is asking for help, providing all the info upfront is the most effective way to get the help requested in a timely matter. You also mentioned that you wanted to call a rescue but then said you said you did not have time to do manage any of this so many of us were confused about the role you were playing and the role you were asking us to play in this cats rescue. We are greatful for the update and that you informed us that there are people attempting to rescue this cat. Just like you, we all hope this cat is caught and provided the medical care he needs.

Jesse341 Jesse341
Feb '18

Yeah people often jump all over others on this forum and unfortunately it's those in need that suffer. Thanks for trying to get help. I am overwhelmed getting and taking care of other sick ferals (3 in my garage getting meds into l well enough for surgery) or I would have tried to help. (human created problem BTW... All the dead beats who abandone and don't fix their cats. I hope anybody that has contributed to this problem has the same life as those poor cats) The person AJ Moore offered to help. Anybody know if that happened?

Worried Worried
Feb '18

Munigee,

Please don't allow the negativity on this forum to stop you from posting. I truly feel it was just a miscommunication amongst all. If you didn't post no one would have known about this cat in need and it wouldn't get the medical attention the poor thing needs.
I actually saved a feral cat from Alexandria Apartments a few years ago Tx to HL. She is doing awesome in our house ❤
I wish I could have done more for the cat you mentioned, but I already have 6 rescue cats.
HL has an awesome community of Animal Lovers that will join together to help an animal in need.

Jacqui Jacqui
Feb '18

Hi, Mungee,
this is A Moore
I am in touch right now with 11th Hour Rescue as of this morning..
They are offering advice and possible help as of this morning!

Q: I need a picture or description of the cat. as well as the building # again where he/she was seen...
It is male or female? Markings? L/H or S/H? when do you see it? can we get a trap placed somewhere? most importantly, can I contact that other person you mentioned, who knows more about the cat than you did? Are they receptive to texts or phone calls? very important! they know the activities of this cat! :)

Finally, and most importantly, I need the number of the super or the actual apartments, in order to call them and ask them if I can leave a trap out for the cat! I do not want it taken away! I am sure they would,,, but decorum sometimes is key to success :)

Please answer all of these q's... and in the future, please reach out to me via the email I posted: I prefer if my name on this site is not used as a mention, thank you.

Feb '18

Thank you for helping this cat!!

Waldo's mom Waldo's mom
Feb '18

A Moore. I trap ferals to get fixed all over. If this cat is feral, Eleventh Hour Rescue is not going to just pay his bill. They would possibly help if friendly and adoptable. Rescues are always struggling to survive financially so they dont/can't help every sick feral. I would suggest not contacting the management. They never agree and it causes issues. A trap never should be left unattended because of the risk of somebody coming along and doing something to the trapped cat or when nobody is around the cat possibly injuring himself in a trap and panicking trying to get out. . You set a trap and watch it from a distance and immediately take the cat in the Trap. I know a woman that occasionally sees this cat and has food out every day. We are going to set a trap on her property where it will be safe and she can watch it. You can tell eleventh hour rescue if this cat is not feral that Debbie will be in touch with them.

Worried Worried
Feb '18

Not close by, but Peaceable Kingdom in PA will be able to neuter/spay and treat the cat at a very low cost.

I volunteer for FURR and we use Peaceable Kingdom all the time for TNR feral cats. They also have a shelter and adoptions.

The tricky part of trapping is making sure you have a place to take the cat right away, he can't be kept in the trap.

I would make sure PK is open the day you set the trap. If trapping at night, he will need a safe place to stay the night before going to the clinic.

https://m.facebook.com/notes/peaceable-kingdom-inc/who-we-are/1994345780582562/

610-432-2532

Let me know if you need any help, I don't mind helping with the costs.

positive positive
Feb '18

Worried - A Moore contacted me via e-mail. I just told him to check for your post regarding the trap in your friend's yard. I think I was talking to your friend via e-mail as well. Hoping he sees my e-mail and that you & friend have success.

mungiee mungiee
Feb '18

hi,
I just checked in.
No worries, let me know if you need any more help.
I also reached out to Debbie; she knows about the trap as of this morning, and has ok's it. 11th Hour Rescue said that they cannot help at this time.
PS Mungee. Adair is a woman's name. BTW... lol...

Best of Luck,
A.

Feb '18

Positive, reached out to worried, she is coordinating the efforts.

Good job, everyone!

Worried, thanks for the advice.. I was planning on coordinating this with that woman you spoke about that feeds this cat anyway.
I am glad we are focused on helping this poor kitty :)

Best.
A.

Feb '18

Did anyone contact Pet Adoption League in Hackettstown?

Waldo's mom Waldo's mom
Feb '18

Sorry Adair!! Thought the name was AJ and assumed male, my bad! Any updates on the cat?

mungiee mungiee
Feb '18

I am in contact with the woman who is trying to trap this cat on private property and sees him often. Will update the post when he's caught. Once trapped he will be brought to a vet.

Worried Worried
Feb '18

Just for future reference.....the women who helped Gene get his dog only trap and track lost dogs. They are wonderful BTW :)

Worried Worried
Feb '18

mungiee, thanks for trying to help this cat. Many of same people that were rude to you also are rude on other posts. So please do not take their negative behavior personally.

real1 real1
Feb '18

Enough already. No one was rude, just concerned and a little frustrated.

There are no villains here, but a victim..the injured cat.

Time to move on and concentrate on helping this cat.

positive positive
Feb '18

Any update on the cat?

positive positive
Feb '18

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.