How does a mature divorced woman meet nice men in the area?

I am a single woman in my mid fifties, looking to meet a nice guy for friendship and possibly more. The internet services scare me. I'm not religious, and don't want to go to events that have mostly couples.

So, I thought I'd put this out there to see if anyone has some suggestions.

Thanks!

You don't have to be religious to attend church social functions. They are usually fund raisers and are open to all. Try looking up different activities local churches are running. Other than bars, which I think cater to a younger crowd, the internet is the only option left.

Parental Unit Parental Unit
Jan '18

Maybe don't use "Man" as a screen name :)

Find a meetup group that does activities which are interesting to you. On a group hike, you can casually get to know someone. Maybe it would become more. Some groups meet for lunch or a drink after.

maja2 maja2
Jan '18

Do you have any hobbies/interests? Look at meet up (meetup.com) and see if any groups are meeting in the area that match your interests.

bobmarriedguy bobmarriedguy
Jan '18

Fine a hobby that you like, then search on the web for events that people doing the same thing.

Gilbert Gilbert
Jan '18

Men in their 50s:

1) Never married, reason why...
2) Divorced...

Good luck, the odds are against you. Have "faith" in your quest, this is what will get you to where you want to be (faith in a spiritual way, not religious).

"Other than bars, which I think cater to a younger crowd."

It depends on the bar and what time you go. The younger crowd tends to go out later in the evening. Maybe try happy hour. Or you could try a social club bar (firehouse, American Legion, VFW), as opposed to a "public" bar. They tend to have more patrons that are 40+.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '18

I met my honey on match.com 2 1/2 years ago. On and off for many years I've done internet meet and greet with no problems. There are ways to "protect" yourself and ways to get a real sense of someone before you meet them. If you want to know anything more, message me.
Btw we are in our early 70's.

4catmom 4catmom
Jan '18

Also, from experience I learned to open my eyes to someone right in front of me. Actually I met them via Craigslist ad for a hiking partner. Turns out they are that one and only! Good luck!

Using a somewhat more relationship oriented site like Match.com or eharmony.com may yield some results and like minded people. Other sites like "Plenty O Fish" or whatever their name is, are more on the other end of the "possibly more". (meaning Hook Up,which I can tell your NOT looking for).

I am a success story of match.com- 7 years later, still with the same wonderful person I met there. It can work, use your intuition and radar, it will be correct.

And, thanks for revealing that "MAN" is actually a woman, I always pictured some bearded large guy that I wouldn't want to mess with! haha

The Rhyme Animal The Rhyme Animal
Jan '18

Join a bowling league. :)

Not everyone on Plenty of Fish, etc are just in it for a "hookup." Some people use multiple sites for dating and to look for long term relationships.

This comment was posted also:

Men in their 50s:

1) Never married, reason why...
2) Divorced...

This could also be turned around to say the same thing about women- is it meant to be negative? Negative to one sex vs the other? I guess you will have to ask the poster as I do not like to make assumptions. There are plenty of women and men that are divorced/never married that would/could become great couples if others would avoid putting a stigma on them.

I have used the sites mentioned also. PM me if you have any questions.

Dodgeball Dodgeball
Jan '18

Man Skirt and Czigmeister.

I have several friends that have used, and currently use, online dating. They all say that the free sites, like Plenty of Fish, have some really scary people on them. They say that have had much better dates from Match and eHarmony.

I personally think the best way to meet someone is through someone you already know. Do your family members, co-workers, neighbors etc. know that you are looking for companionship? If not, let them know. They might have a brother, cousin, neighbor or co-worker that they could introduce you to. Heck, I have a couple of friends in your age range that might fit your criteria.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '18

That comment about men in their 50's was uncalled for, it's also possible that they could be a widower. Life doesn't always go as planned, sh*t happens but people still deserve companionship and fulfillment no matter what their age or circumstances are.

Don't be so scared of online dating! As others have suggested, sticking to more relationship oriented dating sites, or even just finding a meet up that matches your interests you might be surprised at who you could meet. Is there a social cause you feel strongly about? Volunteer!

Best wishes in your search!

somechik somechik
Jan '18

I am in the same boat. In my early 30s and once again, starting all over again. Good luck!

Ughh
Jan '18

Another success story, I met 'the one' on match.com. We were both in our 40s, divorced and wary, but we knew we were right for each other within the first 3 weeks.

10 year anniversary this year. Lived 15 miles apart all of our lives, but never would have met if not for match. Just be careful, take precautions.

Also really think about what you want in your life and in a partner when/if you create your profile. As Oprah says, how can you find the matching shoe if you don't know what the shoe you already have looks like?

I think there is a site ourtime.com for people over 50? I haven't seen ads recently for that one though.

hktownie hktownie
Jan '18

So many people do online dating these days. It's a good way to be matched with someone you are looking for. I met my husband on eharmony almost 9 years ago and we've been married for 6!

Smilingbecs Smilingbecs
Jan '18

Meetup.com - I am an organizing of a group in Bergen County and am a member of several in the Lake Hopatcong area. Great way to socialize and meet people.

Try the grocery store!

Karen
Jan '18

I am a divorced/single man a few years past you Miss Man. Dating Sites take a lot of time with messages back and forth forever !! Talking on phone several times before meeting. It reminds me of the old Dating Game on TV. LOL

LittlePiglet LittlePiglet
Jan '18

I just want to say "Thank you" to all my HTL friends!

I feel inspired and hopeful! I hoped if I reached out to local folks I would get some good ideas ~ and your responses way exceeded my expectations!

To those who warmly invited me to message them ~ I am going to, and thank you!

And to Rhyme Animal ~ thanks for the laugh! MAN is my initials! ;-)

"Man Skirt and Czigmeister."

That is funny- but no joke, if I was single and out at a brewery for a couple beers- I wouldn't mind talking to a woman there for the same.

That being said- I met my wife on Match a little over 12 years ago.

"thanks for the laugh! MAN is my initials!"

Even more reason to go to Man Skirt. You are both.

Shop rite on Sunday mornings.

Mattar's Happy Hour. Headed there now

recently widowed recently widowed
Apr '18

Match.com for me. Together 16 years, now. Good luck and be safe.

Terry Page Terry Page
Apr '18

I was married for 36 years, then divorced. I liked "meetup.com". Thinking about checking it out again. As far as the dating sites, stay with a reputable one, like match or Ourtime.com. They've had their complaints too, btw! So there r no guarantees. Just beware of the "generic sites", that include "fine print" and a day "free trial" to some xxx site? Cause u immediately get billed $39.95 for a subscription!

Glenn Roth Glenn Roth
Apr '18

Best dating site for people over 50 is ourtime.com. Have a look at it.

TheFuture TheFuture
Apr '18

Try Classic Ballroom at Hastings Square. Lots of fun, great pricing (if I remember correctly a dance card of 10 dances is $100, individual per visit $15). Very friendly owners and clients! They have all different classes and times, but Friday nights you can have a group lesson (one week tango, another week salsa, etc.) and afterwards everyone dances and chats, snacks. Great place for single guys, gals and couples - all age groups from teens on up. No pressure, just need casual clothes. Not intimidating to go alone. Can go and watch to get a feel for it before you commit... have fun!

Capri Capri
Apr '18

My husband and I also met On the internet 13 years ago, Married for 10. Go into it with an open mind and use one of the sites that you have to pay for a subscription. Otherwise, you get what you pay for and the free sites are more people looking for hook ups and one night stands. Good luck!

Njchia Njchia
Apr '18

How about trying to organize a HL Singles Group to meet locally for coffee? Drinks?

Lee Marie Lee Marie
Apr '18

met my spouse on match.com - It can work - met October 2015

4catmom 4catmom
Apr '18

This recent widow would love to meet a divorced or widowed lady in the Hackettstown are 65 or older for a drink. Can be as soon as tonight.

recentlywidowed recentlywidowed
Apr '18

Wasting no time I see. LOL

Metsman Metsman
Apr '18

Is "recentlywidowed" a woman looking for a lesbian relationship or does he not know that he's a "widower" and not a "widow"?

ianimal ianimal
Apr '18

The word "widowed" applies to both men and women whose spouse has passed.

No regrets
Apr '18

But "widow" does not, and the poster referred to itself as a "recent widow"

ianimal ianimal
Apr '18

I am a man looking to meet a woman.

recently widowed recently widowed
Apr '18

I'm sorry if I confused everyone. Going forward I would still love to meet with a mature widow or divorced lady in her 60's or older. I would love to find a friend to take away the loneliness and if leads to more for both of us great. I am retired so almost any day or evening would work.

Apr '18

Hello ladies

Wear more camouflage!

Your in Warren county for God’s sake

Still lonely and looking.

Apr '18

recentlywidowed - I'm no one to talk, cause I don't have any game myself, but, I'm guessing posting "still lonely and looking" more than once probably isn't the impression you're seeking to convey. how about a post like looking for someone for coffee or a walk at the park or whatever you're into.

ken e
Apr '18

Maybe your right ken e. I would love to meet a woman who is in a similar situation or has gone through it to meet for a drink, my treat, and friendly conversation. If we hit it off we can go from there.

Apr '18

You are trying too hard.

Just get out of the house and go do whatever your hobby is- sooner or later you will run into a woman, talk and let things happen naturally.

Or- sign up for a dating service as already suggested.

Ken e ...Great advise to " recentlywidowed ". Yes, we are lonely but that is a downer word. Use Share...Looking to share all the beauty Mother Nature gifts us with... Think about a new hobby, see what classes and get togethers are offered, volunteer.... I am in same situation. Found friends from geez 60 yrs ago from school, great dinner partners. weekend trips to explore places we never had a chance to get to... Email me ..Keep trying and keep smiling !

Hey guys it's me MAN who started this thread.

I can totally relate to so many of the shared feelings.

Moving back into town, looking forward to checking out the local brew pubs and festivals coming up!

Maybe we will cross paths!

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.