Does anyone have Directv with AT&T?

I currently have Directv with Verizon internet/phone. I have been having issues with internet service as it relates to my devices (i-PAD, PC, laptop) and frequently need to unplug the modem to get service again. I recently recorded a couple of shows on regular channels and when I went to watch them, a message came up on the screen that read "buffering". I have had this happen during Netflix once in awhile, but haven't ever had it happen before while watching recorded shows.
I called Verizon and after a 45 minute phone call, I was told that I have 3 TVs which I need to physically unplug after use because they are splitting the quality of service, and that when I am done with the i-PAD and laptop I need to turn off the WiFi every time, which I find hard to believe. (I am one person in a 3 floor townhouse). I use a cell phone and while I pay for the landline phone as part of the internet bundle, I don't have a landline phone.
I live in the townhouses at Oak Hill (I don't know if the congested area makes any difference with my getting quality service) and I also have "enhanced internet 3.0"; I was told there is nothing else I can do, and that I have the highest quality I can have in this area.
I was wondering if I would have better luck with AT&T; I have also looked into Eero (mesh network) - which I don't know much about, but sounds like it could help.
I am tired of dealing with this problem!

subaru1
Jan '18

AT&T owns DTV, but you cannot get Internet service from AT&T in NJ. Your options are Verizon - probably DSL out here, or the cable company that serves your area.

What a surprise
Jan '18

You can get a 150 meg cable internet connection

Bug3
Jan '18

I did too. internet kept cutting out so I dumped verizon and went to cable for internet and still have direct tv. SO MUCH BETTER.....

sadlad sadlad
Jan '18

Verizon only has DSL in this area as of now. I have Directv for my TV viewing and Comcast for internet and phone. I was tired of the DSL issues with Verizon.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Jan '18

I was thinking of switching from cable to DSL but I talked to someone at Verizon in the know and they said that the hub is too far away from where I live (by Mars). Said the speed would be very very slow. I think she said like 1.5 or something. I forget now as it was years ago.

Thanks for the responses!
How much is Comcast phone/internet?

subaru1
Jan '18

Hard to say. They are running different promotions all the time and depends on what speed you want.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Jan '18

Comcast Internet starts around $70 a month (Deals, rental modem taxes and the 2018 rate increase may make that vary)

Don't buy a modem from them. It pays for itself in a year to buy it. Current rate is $11 a month.

alpha1beta alpha1beta
Jan '18

Re: Does anyone have Directv with AT&T?

Right now you can get comcast internet performance for $40/month (new customer) , fpr 12 month

You need to buy your own router( price range $40-$100)

Phone : Get ooma and port out verizon phone number ( port out cost I think $40, ooma telo cost $80 , $120 is a one time upfront cost dor keeping phone service ooma charge $4/month for taxes...

Then when the year is up, you try to haggle witth Comcast to keep the promotion price or you can just cancel service then 1-3 days , after get some other adult in your household get comcast hsi as a new customer,

Yes - DirectTV with AT&T, Comcast for internet and we got an Eero for Christmas - seems to work great, very easy to set up --- with the AT&T ended up upgrading to unlimited data - so far no issues at all.

~trekster3 ~trekster3
Jan '18

We did the same as sadlad last year, got rid of DSL and landline phone, bought our own modem, and now have Comcast for internet only and Directv. Deal we had with Comcast was 59.99 for first year with 200 MBS (blast)

For us it was much easier to find a model that doesn't support the landline phone, so we gave it up. We got this one and like it, but I think they have DOCSIS 3.1 now too.
https://www.amazon.com/Motorola-MG7550-Gigabit-Certified-Spectrum/dp/B01JGT2JI6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1516116670&sr=8-1&keywords=model+mg7550
You can get cheaper if you don't want dual band.
Dual band support both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz channels.

Plus the lights on the Comcast modem are so bright, it's intrusive, and the monthly fee is too much.

hktownie hktownie
Jan '18

At & T owns directv and they are horrible I change my modem twice and continue to have the same problem it knocks my internet off from my laptop or iPad. Unfortunately I can’t switch because on my street near main st there are no other cable providers.

Anyone use direct tv now? (Streaming app) I’m in the trial period - not a fan - it’s $70 a month for the large package and they interject commercials into the on depand shows

Skippy Skippy
Jan '18

I use it Skippy, I am paying $50 a month with my AT&T unlimited data plan. While I am not a huge fan, it works for us as we are in a rental until the end of March and then down to NC (yippee). Have plenty of options in NC where we are moving. Spectrum, AT&T U Verse (fiber optic) ATMC (fiber optic) as well as Direct tv and Dish Network.

kb2755 kb2755
Jan '18

Amen - and potentially google
Fiber if you come to the triangle. !

Skippy Skippy
Jan '18

I just moved here from Netcong. I couldn't believe I couldn't choose my cable/internet provider and I'm stuck with Xfinity/Comcast and I absolutely hate it! Only internet and a mediocre cable package and I'm paying $130 a mth! I was never offered a deal when I started so they told me too bad! I don't like the equipment,the service,the constant sales calls,one day late service was cut,I've had more issues in one year then I did with ten using Optimum which is the best!! I'm looking to cut it altogether and stream.What other internet providers can I get in Hackettstown?

Kier - You couldn't choose your cable provider in Netcong either. No one in the country can. Cable is a single provider per town, although internet has multiple choices. Here, most of them are even worse than Comcast. Verizon is possible but the DSL connections are severely slow and very poor customer service. You can go with non-cable TV like Dish, but then you get into reliability depending on your signal strength. All of them have constant sales calls. I get them from Verizon Fios and that's not even available. How low is that?

We got fed up and tossed all of the cable boxes, remotes, DVR boxes, etc into the back of the car and took them back to Comcast. It was a liberating experience. We cut our service to internet only.

We're currently we're using DirecTV Now (which is NOT the satellite-based service which also requires boxes, remote, etc). It's $10/month (WHAT?) which is a 3-month promotion and we throw in HBO for $5. All local channels included.

We watch on our phones, tablets, computers, and send it to our TVs with a Chromecast dongle attached to the TVs HDMI port. Other options are things like Amazon Firestick, Roku, etc to stream it to your TV.

We've been doing this for about 2.5 months. It was very rough at the start since this is a pretty new service,but it's gotten a lot better recently as they've rolled out new versions and shored up their reliability.

Cutting the cord is really the way to go to see the savings add up. Streaming has continually improved and is still improving which is huge for the consumer. It is a different mindset watching TV but once you get used to it, it is difficult to go back to cable/satellite especially at the exorbitant costs.

Joe Friday Joe Friday
Jun '18

I agree, Joe Friday. The way we see it now, we take the "TV" we pay for everywhere we go. It's always available on any computer, phone, tablet, etc as long as we have an internet connection (or willing to pay data cost on cell).

DirecTV Now just added a DVR service so we can easily record stuff for later, and they have on-demand for stuff we might want to check out or have missed. We now get 3 active streams (viewers) for our $10/month (will be $35/month when our 3-month trial is over).

I use comcast for internet, erizon for cell service and directvnow for tv. I had directv satelite for 10 years. Was up to 118 a month. Switched to directvnow last month 50 a month for everything i wanted including hbo. Great service. Sat by the pool watching the yankee game with no wires needed .

I just wanted to update my comments here. After a few months of watching DirecTV Now, it's just gotten worse and worse to the point we had to learn and go through all sort of technical gymnastics to work around the bugs. They've also had several extended outages.

So, this morning we were finally fed up and canceled it (our 3 months at $10/month was over). We're now trying Youtube TV and finding it much more solid and way better usability so far.

I'd avoid DirecTV Now for a while

Anyone have directv now having trouble with MSG black out. I contacted support but no resolution yet. They have 2 weeks to get it resolved before real hockey starts if not I gotta switch. Atleast no contracts with streaming

Optimum works best around here allamuchy......i pay too much i suppose but I have almost every channel (except cinemax I think? ) plus the sports package. 3 cable boxes tv internet and phone is about $215/mo..... We can stream a couple movies and music while wasting time on YouTube w/ no problems

Itiswhatitis
Sep '18

Depending on your particular situation and needs, there are a number of ways to reduce or eliminate costly cable bills.

If you.fall into a certain economic catagory Comcast has a program called "Essentials' it's $10.00 a month. They don't advertise it and it's tough to get a straight answer but it's real. Check it out online.

Also, if you.have a line of sight to a transmission tower, you might want to try and use an antenna. Cable companies are required by law to transmit certain channels over the air. You can't get pay channels but the ones they do send are in HD. There are plenty of webs sites on this also. You. can get channels out of NYC and Phili.

The other option is the public library for movies. They are free and because all the libraries are connected, you.can request just about anything.

They also have computer with internet to use for free.

One last note, Boost Mobile gives 8 gig of tethering or hotspot with their $50.00 per month service. When you only need to use you cmputer sparingly thos may be a good option.

Another option. If you have a smart TV, you.can "cast' from your phone to your TV and mirror what's on your phone. Download an app such as Pluto tv and cast to your smart TV.......check it out

Cut the cord.....

Geeey Geeey
Sep '18

I cut the cord recently with Optimum & I am so happy. Was paying $272 for 4 boxes & the service including a sports package. Bought Amazon Firesticks & subscribed to Playstation Vue & now only use the internet through Optimum & saved $130 a month.

Luca, do you use the Optimum "Smart Router"? Or did you purchase your own router? And if you're using the one from Optimum, what is your wifi range like?

We're moving to Hackettstown next month, into a house with a front porch and a back patio. I want to be sure I have good signal in both those places (as well as throughout the house, of course).

Monty Monty
Sep '18

Monty - Optimum (Cablevision) is the provider for Allamuchy. If you're not moving there, then your provider is going to be Xfinity (Comcast). You need to be sure to know what advice applies to your situation.

GC - Thanks. I guess I need to investigate further, but FWIW the Optimum website shows availability at my new address in downtown Hackettstown, and will even allow me to schedule the installation. (But I have not yet done so.)

Monty Monty
Sep '18

Hi Monty,
I got rid of the Optimum Smart Router. I am using a mesh network called EERO which I purchased off Amazon. I also returned the Optimum modem & purchased a new modem which is compatible with Optimum. Ever since I did these changes my network works a lot better. I have the Optimum internet 200 service. When I do a speed test which I did just now I get 196 down & 36 up. I am currently working from home as well as my husband.

Thank you Luca

Monty Monty
Sep '18

We went through internet issues for years. would just cut out for no reason for hours. New modems still same issue. Last month it went out for a week after the rain storms.Contacted Verizon. Found the issue..when Super storm Sandy came through the line was fixed temporarily. They ran a new line and we have had wonderful.internet connection since. May have to push them to check your lines. Hope it helps!

Hackettstown Wife Hackettstown Wife
Sep '18

Monty - Those websites are notorious for only going by the zip code. Our 07840 zip code covers six townships, two counties, and more than one cable provider. If you're in downtown Hackettstown, your provider is Comcast and you're only going to get a call later saying there's been a mistake.

Thanks again, GC. Although this is terrible news for me. Comcast was our only option back in the '90s when I lived in Lancaster, PA. By far the worst utility I've ever had to deal with. My intention was never to pay them another dime. Oh well....

Monty Monty
Sep '18

BH2...are you still using YouTube TV..what town are you in? Anyone else try YouTube TV?

Bessie Bessie
Sep '18

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.