Linux OS

I would like to get some instructions on how to install and use the Linux Puppy or Linux Mint operating systems. Are there any classes that are offered locally? I have an old Intel Atom netbook that uses Windows 7 Starter, and it has become very slow because it can no longer handle the Windows operating system. The netbook has a 1.66GHz Intel Atom Processor N455 & 2 GB of memory. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Pooder Pooder
Jan '18

Generally, if the PC supports Linux and it can find the basic drivers (video, sound, and network) the “pre-fab” installations (like Ubuntu, Mint, etc.) install pretty simply off a CD/USB stick and boot right into a desktop that looks like Windows. Obviously there are some unique features, but it’s surprisingly intuitive and functional if all you will do is browse the web, email, etc.

The basic procedure is download the setup file (probably a .ISO), burn it to a disc, and then configure the computer to boot off the CD. It will either start a graphic interface or maybe some DOS like setup screens. You’ll probably get prompted for how to setup the disk drive partitions (easy if you don’t plan to dual boot) and off it goes to install itself,

I’ve played around a few times but never did anything serious with those systems. Once you need to work on finding custom drivers or troubleshoot a problem, the skill level needed jumps up pretty rapidly. You can find quite a few walkthroughs on some topics, but a lot of it you have to take on “faith” because the commands and syntax are generally *not* intuitive.

I don’t know if there are any Mint specific classes. Any Linux course should mostly apply to any package (as far as basic commands, user access/security philosophy, etc.) but in my opinion, unless you need it for work or are a serious computer tinkerer, it’s best to just enjoy the basics that work right out of the box.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Jan '18

I would agree for the installation and instructions, there are many on line resources for the specifics. Lots of forums, videos, and tutorials.

As for courses CCM has some, but they are part of a whole program and are at a second year level not first. If you wanted to go that route, then it would be towards a degree or certificate. If you're really serious about it I might actually suggest ESU for a full program in the area.

You need a "lite" distro for an Atom processor. Most of the current distros will have your drivers in it as the intel chipset was pretty popular in the netbooks. Puppy and Lite Mint would work. As Mark says just download the iso and go from there. With the new interfaces in Linux you should get a windows like user experience so learning curve is pretty minimal.

Just dont expect programs such a microsoft word to function easily

Bug3
Jan '18

You can use open office or runs windows VM in virtual box or use wine

Skippy Skippy
Jan '18

If Windows barely runs natively on such a light processor, I doubt it would run well in a VM on top of another OS. I have an old Acer with an atom processor... I think my phone is faster.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Jan '18

As long as you have internet you can find almost any program as web interface, including Office. Most are now using web interfaces with subscriptions so just need a browser.

I would suggest Linux Mint Xfce (lightweight) and reading through this guide. Not to dissuade you, but if you have any reservations or think that it's too hard at this point, it's just going to get worse.

https://linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=249

https://linuxmint-installation-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

Randall
Jan '18

I agree with Randall - linux mint Xfce will suffice. It will give you simple web browsing, word processor (libre or the like) etc. Don't expect it to be super-fast, but your computer will run faster that with win7 and, very important, stable.
Puppy linux is also light and well suited for your computer.

if your computer has a cd/dvd burner, you could download linux, burn it on the disk and try it (so called "live CD"). If you'll like how linux works, install it.
If you don't have CD/DVD burner, than you'd need to use USB stick - this is more complicated process.
Nowadays, most linux OS became more user friendly - easy to install, easy to add hardware/peripherals and additional programs/software.
In my experience, there is no real need to "learn" Linux or take any classes.

Please note that there are many "popular" programs that don't run on linux.

Most likely, you'll like linux and stick with it. Good luck!

What brand/model? The old Asus netbooks had great Linux support.

alpha1beta alpha1beta
Jan '18

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.