Real Car Detailer

Does anyone know of a real good auto detailer? Someone that does paint correction, water spot removal, wet sanding of scratches, etc. And don't say Auto Perfection or Denville Detail b/c they cannot handle more advanced detailing. They just shuffle cars in and out as quick as possible.

LJRubi LJRubi
Dec '17

I would think any body shop will handle that. I don't think I would trust a detail shop or someone that thinks they could conduct that type of work either.

You could perhaps try some of the luxury dealers like Paul Miller for example to see if they use an outside company as opposed to an in house division.

Honestly- your best bet is to find detailing specific forums and blogs.

A 'shop' has a lot of overhead- so it is in their best interest to move the cars along.

What you want is an enthusiastic teenager, early 20's kid. You'll know him when you find him. Lives at home, loves cars, has a lot of free time, will be intelligent and great attention to detail as well as pride in his work. He will have taken pictures of his work before and after and posted them online.

What kind of car? Silly as it sounds- if a car is 'worthy' enough to put that much time, care and cost into it's appearance- it will usually already have a pretty substantial board about it online somewhere. Doesn't hurt to start there and ask around.

you are looking for a restoration shop.....contact the one in Hibernia or the one up on 46 west before Island Dragway.

Steven Steven
Dec '17

Appearance plus across from hot rods hot dogs

Booster90 Booster90
Dec '17

Don't really need a body or restoration shop. I used to detail cars but don't have time anymore due to career and kid. I know what it takes to get water spots and light scratches out. Good product and a good buffer with the correct pads. It just takes time and some attention to detail. It's actually for a truck that I'd like to get corrected so I can just seal and wash throughout the year the correct way to maintain it. Yeah I'm a little ocd with my vehicles. I took it to denville detail for what they made sound like they could provide but when I picked up the truck, the windows were still covered in water spots. I said dude, what's up with this? He said oh it takes a lot of time and it's expensive and we need to use a machine and special product yadda yadda. I came home, rubbed a little light cut compound by hand on the windows and all was good again. So yeah any decent real detailer that has a little pride in his work can easily handle this job.

LJRubi LJRubi
Dec '17

A buddy of mine does it privately at his house. He is insanely detailed. Has been doing cars for as long as I can remember. His own cars will speak for itself. I could get you his information.

Ericf29 Ericf29
Dec '17

Go to Mikes Auto Body Shop in Washington. they have a detailing shop as well as a body shop.

Civilguy
Dec '17

Out here they don't exist. Never have unless you do it yourself. Not sure what your budget is but Phil's shop Detailers domain is awesome but caries the price point to match so make sure the car is worth it. Don't let the website and products fool you, he started out small and worked his way up and does awesome work. Just a bit of a drive from warren county as he is in Norwood.

https://www.detailersdomain.com/pages/portfolio

I will admit the Stone Barn (guessing that's who he is referring to) that Steven mentioned does awesome work as well but they are restoration. If you have an older car (pre-60's) they do concourse level work. I have never seen anything newer come out of there.

younggen younggen
Dec '17

I can confirm Phil from detailers domain is the real deal. Of course, you'll always pay more for the real McCoy. Phil and his shop/online store are internet-famous.

Consigliere
Dec '17

Thanks guys. I will check out Phil and Appearance Plus.

LJRubi LJRubi
Dec '17

I do not recommend Mikes Autobody. He destroyed my Audi.

Shirley Shirley
Dec '17

Can you elaborate, Shirley? I'm guessing you mean destroyed the finish. Or did he actually crash it?

Consigliere
Dec '17

I always see signs for detailing at the shop on the corner of miller and 517. Anyone try them?

Sunshine Sunshine
Dec '17

Consigliere, we went to them as a recommendation. Mike said he's worked on Audi's before and we trusted him. Big mistake. He couldn't put back the Audi's electronic system back together when he replaced the passenger door. First, the door wasn't put back right, it continues to rattle and not close properly. 2nd, the alarm system was disengaged, doors won't lock. 3rd, the warning sound when reversing was also not working properly, it was giving an shrieking sound when reversing, different sound from the original. 4th, the signal lights stopped working. We brought it back to him a couple more times, but it was obvious, he didn't know how to work on an Audi. I wouldn't recommend Mike's if you have a European car with an advanced electronic system. Cost us more money to bring to the dealership, and by this time our insurance doesn't cover that since they already paid Mike. He doesn't stand by his work. I would stay far, far away.

Shirley Shirley
Dec '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.