Coyote problem

The coyotes seem to be so active and plenty of them this year. Has anyone noticed an increase in activity with them?
There are 2 packs behind my house and for some reason 1 pack keeps coming down by my horses and I am concerned.

They are howling and barking all hours during the night and sometimes during the day .

Any suggestions?

Summer Summer
Nov '17

From the NJ Fish and Wildlife website:

Coyote Precautions

The following guidelines can help reduce the likelihood of conflicts with coyotes:

Never feed a coyote. Deliberately feeding coyotes puts pets and other residents in the neighborhood at risk.
Feeding pet cats and/or feral (wild) cats outdoors can attract coyotes. The coyotes feed on the pet food and also prey upon the cats.
Put garbage in tightly closed containers that cannot be tipped over.
Remove sources of water, especially in dry climates.
Bring pets in at night.
Put away bird feeders at night to avoid attracting rodents and other coyote prey.
Provide secure enclosures for rabbits, poultry, and other farm animals.
Pick up fallen fruit and cover compost piles.
Although extremely rare, coyotes have been known to attack humans. Parents should monitor their children, even in familiar surroundings, such as backyards.
Install motion-sensitive lighting around the house.
Clear brush and dense weeds from around dwellings - this reduces protective cover for coyotes and makes the area less attractive to rodents and rabbits. Coyotes, as well as other predators, are attracted to areas where rodents are concentrated like
woodpiles.
If coyotes are present, make sure they know they're not welcome. Make loud noises, blast a canned air siren, throw rocks, or spray them with a garden hose.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/coyote_info.htm

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '17

Re: Coyote problem

What is that everyone’s saying about AR-15’s not having a purpose?

Problem solved (assuming you have enough land to hunt legally).

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Nov '17

Aw man, I'd hate to shoot one, I'm a dog person. For that matter, I'm an animal person. I don't hunt, but would never begrudge others the right to hunt if they EAT what they shoot. Not a fan of killing for killing's sake, except in self-defense.

REALLY have a problem with the big game trophy hunting.

Mixed feelings on the shooting of wolves out west and up north... I get that they are killing livestock, but that's what they do... very mixed feelings....

A BB gun would probably do the trick, without causing any harm. I once scared a bear away from eating our garbage with a BB gun. 1 shot was all it took.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Nov '17

"ACME Coyote Trap"

Dadof3
Nov '17

Yes, an AR would kill a coyote... but a regular rifle would be sufficient.

JosieMarie JosieMarie
Nov '17

I think around here you are suppose to kill coyotes, as long as you have a hunting license....aren't they a nuisance animal?

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/2015/smgame_summary15-16.pdf

"In addition to the general coyote and fox seasons
described in the chart below, properly licensed turkey
hunters may legally harvest coyotes if encountered
incidental to legal turkey hunting. Turkey
hunters shall not actively pursue coyotes or have
coyote calls or decoys in possession. Also, properly
licensed persons hunting deer during the Six-day
Firearm, Permit Muzzleloader or Permit Shotgun
deer seasons may kill coyote or fox if the coyote or
fox is encountered before the hunter has taken the
season bag limit of deer. However, after the hunter
has taken a daily bag limit of deer, they must cease
hunting immediately. Incidental hunting of coyote
or fox while deer hunting may resume the following
day (provided the season remains open and the
season bag limit of deer has not been reached.) Only
applicable projectiles approved for deer hunting may
be used to take coyote and fox incidental to deer
hunting during the deer seasons described above."

But with that being said, I too would have reservations about shooting them, unless they are actually doing harm, too much like a dog and I love dogs

Darrin Darrin
Nov '17

I love animals and I also love mine a lot more than coyotes ! They are challenging but one horse in particular and there is a ton of state property behind my house that they can go on.
That being said, I think it is time to get rid of them

Summer Summer
Nov '17

FYI, coyotes ARE dogs- canis species.

"Wolves (canis lupus), coyotes (canis latrans), and domestic dogs (canis familiaris) are closely-related species. All three can interbreed and produce viable, fertile offspring — wolfdogs, coywolves, and coydogs. Through DNA analysis, scientists have established that the wolf is the ancestor of the dog."

And I'd shoot a HARMFUL domestic dog just as easily as I'd shoot a HARMFUL coyote. Harmful being the key word there. Definitely protect your pets. I would never shoot one as a preventative measure to just "get rid of them." Unless you're going to eat it (and I don't think anyone eats coyotes? At least not in this country... perhaps in Asia/pacific rim...)

Nov '17

Where is the area the original poster is talking about?

Pequest Road

Summer Summer
Nov '17

We've had a pack of coyote around for many years, and now it appears we also have another pack. They seem to make a lot more noise when there are two packs, possibly competing for territory. The good news is: at least for us, they are spookier than they are actually harmful. They did get some of my chickens years ago, but we modified the enclosure and that hasn't happened again. I almost never see them out during the day. We get them on our trail cams all the time (as well as our bobcat), but I think only once or twice in a decade have I actually seen one myself while out walking during the day.

Do you just not like the idea of having them around? (I don't think they would dare go near an animal as large as a horse.) Are there cats or chickens or other small animals you are worried about?

Making a very loud noise when they are close could help. Air horn, etc.

Hunters have told me that coyote are nearly impossible to hunt. Incredibly stealthy and aware of human presence.

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '17

I actually heard a coyote howling two nights ago. I live off Russling Road in Independence Township.

Lonesome Dove Lonesome Dove
Nov '17

Yes Rebecka !! There are 2 packs!! One comes around the horses which I do not like especially since last night they were barking and surrounding the 1 horse! Apparently they will try to take down larger animals by grabbing the tendons on their back legs.
I don't have any other animals outside because of the coyotes. I trapped an outside cat and she is now an inside cat .
Their behavior is just too comfortable for my liking. I can see them when I'm in the barn and if I come home when it is dark.
They have to go because I don't want to wait for something bad to happen since I have many signs already.

Summer Summer
Nov '17

This is just an honest question, not being snarky..don't you put your horse in the barn at night? Wouldn't that solve the problem?

positive positive
Nov '17

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/coyote_info.htm

Info from DEP on coyotes and how not to attract them

Skippy Skippy
Nov '17

Tractor Supply in Washington sold coyote-size traps the last time I was there a few months ago. Note: these will only catch a live coyote. After that, you would have the burden of dispatching (shooting) the animal yourself. (I don't believe it is legal to relocate a coyote in NJ; someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

If you really are sure you want to do away with them, I think that would be your option: trapping and then quick death. (If you have horses, I'm assuming you have enough land to legally fire a weapon on your property.)

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '17

Pequest Road in which town?

Goeagles
Nov '17

A coyote attack on a horse, though not impossible, is highly unlikely(goats, sheep, chickens, etc... Are fair game). There is no shortage of small prey animals in the area. A good sized dog that barks is usually enough to keep them away, but noise in general is a good preventative, whether it's gunshot, banging pots and pans, aggressively approaching them and yelling...

Localchef Localchef
Nov '17

Horses can go in and out of their stalls at free will... The only time they get locked up is if the weather is really bad. The one can only get locked up if the weather is bad because he is prone to colic ...so closing them all up at night every night because of the coyotes unfortunately is not an option.
I wish I could trap and relocate them that would be absolutely ideal! It bothers me to kill anything but yet I'm trying to balance maintaining the safety of my own .
I'm in White Twp / Oxford border

Summer Summer
Nov '17

Thank you Summer. I understand now. I really don't know much about horses.

I'd be concerned too. I hope you can resolve this.

positive positive
Nov '17

Thank you Positive!!

Me too!!

Summer Summer
Nov '17

Summer, you have to get rid of the coyotes. I am an animal lover myself, but coyotes are dangerous. I would get in touch with someone at Pequest a Fish and Game though for suggestions on how best to get rid of them.

Tigerfan Tigerfan
Nov '17

Summer, you're first step would be to call the DFW to see if they are willing to come out and see your situation. Maybe, just maybe, they'd be willing to consider the coyotes as nuisance animals and relocate them. If not, I believe you would need to apply for a depredation permit, but I believe you need to be considered an actual working farm to be considered eligible for one. I also believe there has had to been a previous incident with animals on your land. I don't believe that you (or someone else) can just shoot them.

I have no issues with the legal relocation/elimination of problem animals, but fortunately for the animals, we don't any longer live in a world where we can condemn and eliminate them based solely on proximity.

Localchef Localchef
Nov '17

I think you need a hunting license to take coyote. If you don’t have one, find a hunter and give them permission to hunt on your land.

I doubt the state would spend any effort to relocate coyotes.

Looks like it’s bow and shotgun season for them now. Unlimited quantity. Rifle season starts in January.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Nov '17

Great advice!

Thank you so much!!

My safety and my animals come first

Summer Summer
Nov '17

If I had horses I was worried about, I'd go through the procedure to get my own FID (Firearms ID Card) and my own hunting license. Definitely protect your horses.

IDK how hunting works, i.e. if you let a hunter on your land to hunt them, can't more of them just walk onto your land? Or is it somehow a deterrent? I think I'd want to be "at the ready" myself, to care of them whenever needed... whenever the danger was there...?

Nov '17

You know what happens when you kill a coyote? You get more coyotes. When the pack goes down in numbers or by one, a female mates immediately and you get more coyote pups.

ASfromBklyn ASfromBklyn
Nov '17

Did you acquire your knowledge of coyotes in Brooklyn? ;-) Just FYI - a female coyote is only fertile once a year for a week to 10 days, during mating season. She does not "mate immediately," because she cannot physiologically do so.

Taking the alpha male in a pack generally causes the pack to relocate, according to some experienced hunter friends. So that's all Summer might need to do.

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '17

And @JR - re: giving a hunter permission to hunt on your land. The permission is only applicable to whichever hunter(s) you give it to. It doesn't open up your land to a free-for-all... thankfully. :-) That's how hunt clubs get land to hunt on often - private property owners allow a certain group the right to hunt.

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '17

Actually, ASfromBklyn is correct. In units, only the alpha female breeds once a year...she gets killed or dies, all other females will almost instantly go into. This is why large scale coyote hunts don't work.

Not to trivialize Summer's concerns, because its only natural, but this situation with the horses carries practically zero inherent dangers. 90% of what coyotes eat is between the size of a mole and a house cat. And although they live in family units, they rarely hunt in packs. I can hear them behind my house when they do though. A large, hungry bear would pose (barely)more of a threat to a horse(not at all intended to get anyone unnecessarily up in arms over the presence of bears).

Localchef Localchef
Nov '17

Local chef - please post info (sources) on coyotes going into season when members of the pack are killed. Because I'm interested. Seriously - not being skeptical or anything. I just didn't think this was possible for them.

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '17

Coyotes have cornered a friend in their Morton Building, she was able to call for help on cell phone... A Coyote grabbed my friends Jack Russell while they were walking to barn, took off into woods in a second. More chickens,ducks and rabbits than I can count have been killed by them.

There has been many pictures and warnings on Horse sites showing how Coyotes attacked horses and ponies. And pictures of Donkeys attacking them.

Certainly try to get lighting up, cameras...and keep at gun by back door. I wouldn't trust one Coyote let long a pack or two of them.

Localchef vs. Rebecka...setting microwave to Popcorn!

scottso scottso
Nov '17

I'm actually just curious to learn, Scottso. ;-)

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '17

Did someone say popcorn?

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '17

gonna need more than that

scottso scottso
Nov '17

You may have time to eat that. I suspect we might be waiting a while for an actual credible source of coyote estrus cycle plasticity dependent upon pack depopulation.

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '17

Hyenas and wild dogs in Africa take down large animals..they run in packs and are similar in size to the coyote. I believe the coyotes are capable of taking down a horse and I completely believe Summer's concerns are legitimate.

positive positive
Nov '17

Ok I googled varies sources and they all say. One litter a year and the amount of pups vary on environment and food sources.

Coyote - Penn State University
www.psu.edu/dept/nkbiology/naturetrail/speciespages/coyote.html
Oct 8, 2013 - Coyotes have smaller feet than dogs of similar weights and make tracks ... Many coyotes will change their diets through the seasons of the year ... Coyotes can live in deserts, grasslands, forests, swamps, farmlands, ... Female coyotes go into heat once a year (usually between late January and late March).

Natari Natari
Nov '17

A coyote and/or pack unfortunately can take down a horse because once they grab the tendons on the legs horses have a difficult time walking or running. I am not taking any chances!
I have heard from several people if you take the Alpha bi unfortunately can take down a horse because once they grab the tendons on the legs horses have a difficult time walking or running. I am not taking any chances!
I have heard from several people if you take the Alpha male the pack will move on! Rebecka is 100% correct !!!
The property has lights around the barn and house as well as I have a gun
My animals and I come first so coyotes have to go!

Summer Summer
Nov '17

The chances of coyotes killing a horse is minescule, but fortunately the chances of a nervous horse owner killing all of the coyotes is even smaller.

Gadfly76 Gadfly76
Nov '17

"And @JR - re: giving a hunter permission to hunt on your land. The permission is only applicable to whichever hunter(s) you give it to."

Oh, I know that. I just meant, would it solve anything? Meaning, letting a hunter hunt on your land, during hunting season (which is the only time they COULD legally hunt, I think? Land owners can't give permission to hunt OFF-season, can they?), maybe bagging a coyote or two... would that actually help the issue? Meaning, if the land owner is allowed to kill them in defense on property, year-round, that seems to be a better solution?

I'm glad I don't have this problem. I'd hate to have to kill one. HUMAN predators, no problem tho ;)

Nov '17

The thought of hurting/killing any animal bothers me very much and I agree with you JeffersonRepub!! :-)

I don't worry about them killing a horse as much as hurting them and scaring them I have more invested in them than most people have in a house and they are my family. The sad reality is if I have to hurt an animal to defend my own I will have to do that; hopefully it will not come down to it which is why I am taking many other measures to keep them away. Hurting them would be an absolute last option
And rest assure Gadfly76 I am a distinguished expert shooter so time will tell ;-)

Summer Summer
Nov '17

" I am a distinguished expert shooter "

Oh, well- you've got your "Plan B" then! Good luck with various Plan A's.

Nov '17

How about some information from the Dept of Fish and Wildlife?? http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/coyote_info.htm
If you want to report your sightings: http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/coyrpt.pdf

4catmom 4catmom
Nov '17

Yes 4catmom thank you so much !!!! I have gone thru all is the information which was so helpful!! I really appreciate it!

My hope is all of my deterants will do the trick :-)

Summer Summer
Nov '17

I live over near the hospital .Be careful just had a coyote in my yard at 7am.....chased him away and he came back 3 x

Trash day brings them out.

JRT, mind if I ask where by the hospital? I’m over in that area often and would not be happy meeting a coyote. Feel free to email me if you don’t want to share here.
Thanks

Bessie Bessie
May '19

Bessie - They have been seen off and on all along the Musky from Stephens down to the Churrascaria. (old Pump House) That's covers Rustic Knolls, the back ends of both Hunters Brook and Brook Hollow, as well as the end of Pine Street and along the edges of the parks. They don't tend to go very far into human's territory fro the river. Unless like today with trash day they may be after something specific they smell.

rubber loaded shot gun shells will hurt and chase them away but not deadly

Caged Animal Caged Animal
May '19

By Stephens? I run the trails there daily and would hate to come into contact with a pack of wild dogs.

Consigliere
May '19

I have seen. them in Stephens frequently

Janster Janster
May '19

from the Humane Society: An encounter with a coyote in the urban and suburban landscape is a rare event, even where coyotes are found in large numbers.

These animals are generally nocturnal and seldom seen. You may catch a glimpse of a coyote, however, as they move from one part of their territory to another in search of prey (usually small mammals such as mice or voles).

Observing a coyote in this manner (even during the daytime) does not mean that the coyote is sick or aggressive. If the coyote is scared away by your presence, they are exhibiting natural behavior and this should not be cause for concern.

4catmom 4catmom
May '19

I see them once in a blue moon. Mostly I think I see one and then it’s gone before I can even register what I’ve seen. Ghosts.

StrangerDanger StrangerDanger
May '19

Bessie...I just emailed you!

Got it..thanks JRT

Bessie Bessie
May '19

They live in woods and parks and will venture out from those. Expect to see them or stay away from what is left for them.

CSSP
May '19

Vicious Predators. But don't say anything. They'll label you as a hater. Kind of like our politics problems ...

I’m in pv haven’t seen them here yet. But I have a major squirrel problem maybe they could eat all the squirrels for me

I have a friend in PV close to the rear gate and she had one right at her back sliding glass door.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
May '19

Interesting

I'm told that there was a coyote today at Willow Grove school, in the upper playground area. The children had a "shelter in place" while the police and animal control made sure it was gone.

Pamela Pamela
May '19

Vicious predators? To rabbits and squirrels.

CSSP
May '19

Drew, get yourself an outside cat to keep your squirrel problem in check, it's a good to have someone on patrol back there.

GreyHawk GreyHawk
May '19

hi, a BIG DOG should work on those coyotes!

Believe it or not, use human urine (pee around perimeter) sometimes works as well:

"This will prevent the coyote from knocking it over and getting into it. Smell has been used for a long time to keep coyotes away and their numbers from increasing. Most commonly used is wolf urine, moth balls and rags soaked in ammonia. These deterrents can be positioned around your yard to keep coyotes from entering."

Source:
https://www.google.com/search?q=human+urine+for+coyotes&rlz=1CASUUV_enUS762US762&oq=human+urine+for+coyotes&aqs=chrome..69i57.9564j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Definitely sounds like a practical joke lol

"Worried about coyotes? Just pee all over your yard"

honestyseasy honestyseasy
May '19

@Summer - Get a livestock guardian dog to live in with your horses, we keep 2 in with mine and they are worth their weight in gold! They help keep bear, coyote away from the pens!

Good Luck!

Thank you CCB!!

Summer Summer
May '19

There's an enormous grey coyote in Independence that has been taking chickens. We've had large coyotes in the past, but this one is nearly double the size.

Gpg

You sure it's not a coywolf? As if a coyote and wolf aren't scary enough alone, there's now a hybrid of the two.

Thecatsmeow Thecatsmeow
May '19

I stand corrected, a new search of the term brings up that it is not really a new hybrid of just wolf and coyote, but a mix between canines that has been around for awhile. Back when I first heard the term it was described as a wolf coyote hybrid that has features of both.

https://nywolf.org/2017/12/what-is-a-coywolf/

Thecatsmeow Thecatsmeow
May '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.