Random Email problem

I'm at my wit's end with this issue, so I'm turning to the smart folks of HL for some thoughts.

The director at my children's daycare sends mass emails to the families at least once, sometimes several times a week. I have always received them up until a few weeks ago when they suddenly stopped coming. Since then I have done everything including checking all my settings on both phone and computer, providing alternative email addresses (hotmail and Gmail), and I'm no longer receiving these mass emails. This has confounded me. Other parents are getting the emails, and the director is not getting mine returned as undelivered.

Notes: Yes, I have checked my spam. Yes, I have checked my blocked senders (I have even added the director as a VIP). Yes, I have cleaned out my deleted messages and inbox. Yes, I'm receiving other email that I usually get. Yes, she has checked that the address is entered correctly.

The last part that confuses me even more, is that if I initiate an email with her, she can reply and I will receive that. But the mass emails, I am not getting. I used to get them, but suddenly they have stopped.

I can't figure out what the problem is. I'm feeling extremely frustrated and I'm hoping someone has some advice. Thanks!

Tracy Tracy
Oct '17

Maybe you were accidentally removed from the e mail list. Ask the director to add you again.

Jesse341 Jesse341
Oct '17

"not getting mine returned as undelivered."

Two things:

1) You are not on the email list
2) Spam filtering on your side or your behalf. Is there anything in the topic or content that a filter would see as malicious?

Agree with Jesse and Ijay - you might have accidentally hit the unsubscribe option or the school accidentally removed you from the email list - go to an old email from the school and look for 'email status' or some similar verbiage on the bottom of the email. It should give you the option to opt back in...

trekster3~ trekster3~
Oct '17

Thanks, but I don't think either of those things are the issue. There is no "unsubscribe" option on the emails, and the director has assured me that I am on the list. She's deleted and re-added my original email twice as well as added two new emails I gave her. All the same result.

Tracy Tracy
Oct '17

I am willing to admit that I am ignorant when it comes to a lot of computer operations and the internet. However, I was wondering if there may be a setting in your e-mail that rejects Mass E-mails. Perhaps the Spam settings look at them as spam since many scam artists send out emails to multiple addresses.
Those who are computer wizards would know if this is a possibility. I'm just taking a stab in the dark.

JBJSKJ JBJSKJ
Oct '17

Tracy, is the sender's email address as it appears in the mass emails saved in your contacts?

I feel your frustration. It's important that you receive the messages from your children's day care provider..

Chickadee mobile Chickadee mobile
Oct '17

So update, I sent the director an email which she received and replied to that I received. I had her re-add my two email addresses (hotmail and gmail) and my husband's email (yahoo). She showed me a screenshot that we are in the group. She sent a new group email, and none of the three mailboxes received it. This has to be on her end right? I'm really at a loss. I've been on the email list since my 4 year old was 8 months old and I always got the emails. I don't understand why suddenly, as of 9/11/17, I stopped getting them altogether, yet I randomly got one on 9/27, but none since.

Tracy Tracy
Oct '17

Maybe her email has a limit to how many senders can be on it or she has to change the configuration.

Many of those emails are sent through mailing list programs and applications like Constant Contact. They're not just an everyday email program. There could be any number of issues including which groups and sub groups she creates and what she sends to. There are also ways to take you off the list which are like a black list at the other end. This is also the automated removal list which if you did once could prevent it from happening even if she puts you on the list more than once.

But I think in the end it sounds like you're right Tracy. Something on her end. If your emails are on different providers, the chances they all failed are small. Either that or her provider has gotten on one of those "naughty" lists that ISP's subscribe to. But I doubt that otherwise she would be getting more complaints of nobody getting the emails.

if you're not getting them on your phone or your computers, and if none of the three different email addresses are receiving them , it strongly indicates something is amiss on the sender's end.

question: are your phone and your computers all using the same home network at your place? if yes, then there could be a content firewall on the router that might be causing this, but that is unlikely although at this point cannot be ruled out.

if you were out an about with your phone and still couldn't receive them, it really screams at me that it's something on the senders end. as others have indicated, there could be a half dozen reasons for why,

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Oct '17

Agree about the problem being on the senders side.

I had a similar problem with my yahoo account receiving subscribed mailing list emails. When I would send an email to the list server everyone on the list would get the email except me so I would never see my own contributions. The server admin said he was aware of the problem but didn't know how to fix it.

justintime justintime
Oct '17

A few thoughts:

1. Sometimes an email provider can filter out emails for you (without your knowledge or input) if it thinks emails are highly likely to be spam, phishing attempts, or otherwise no good. (Don't think that's the case here, since you have 2 separate providers, and I've never known Gmail to do this. Gmail would put all kinds of alerts on your email, but they would likely at least let it go into your spam folder.

2. Like others have said, it would be interesting to know how they are sending out these mass emails. Is it through a service that sends out mass emails on behalf of small businesses (Constant Contact, iContact, etc) or perhaps something as simple as an email written from a provider's email program and emails just attached to a BCC field. That may help narrow down the problem. Those services have tight settings on them, and if for whatever reason your addresses are flagged as "do not email" or "bounced" it won't deliver it to you, perhaps with no notification to the person that wrote the email.

One last thing (and I assume it's not the issue since you were thorough in your troubleshooting), but do you have any "rules" set in your email? As in when an email comes from X User, or has a certain subject, etc. that some action is taken? Maybe something silly happened there?

Route 46
Oct '17

Thanks for the continued help with this problem. I think it persists. All three emails eventually got the email from the director on Friday, but they're not coming in instantly like you'd expect emails to. I'm going to ask her what program she's using and see if we can troubleshoot it even further.

Tracy Tracy
Oct '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.