Subway Closed on Mtn. Ave.

When did the Subway close on Mt. Ave. Did they relocate

Subway closing a lot o f franchises lately

Bug3
Oct '17

They have been closed for awhile and also closed the one in mt olive otop of hackettstown mountain

And the one by shoprite

Bug3
Oct '17

And the one in Washington.....

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '17

I wonder if its Jared Fogle fallout.

Metsman Metsman
Oct '17

A lot more competition now. Too bad as I have fond memories of Subway but have not been there for a long time.

"Some of that could be attributed to the 2015 arrest and imprisonment of the company’s well-known, longtime spokesman, Jared Fogle. Yet the chain’s decline was in full force when video of the raid on Fogle’s Indiana home was broadcast nationwide."

from this article- http://www.nrn.com/quick-service/why-subway-shrinking

"The problems affecting Subway also show a chain that expanded too aggressively and discounted too much, and lost business to competitors."

The Rhyme Animal The Rhyme Animal
Oct '17

Plus Subway sucks. Their sandwiches are a joke.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '17

+! Calico

Old Gent Old Gent
Oct '17

+1000 Calico...Not surprised....

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Oct '17

I'd much rather go to a locally-owned, real sandwich shop like C&L or the Sub Shack than Subway any day.

honestyseasy honestyseasy
Oct '17

Sub Shack is cheaper than Subway anyway. You get a massive sandwich for like 7 bucks.

Metsman Metsman
Oct '17

Subway is terrible. Who wants to eat that garbage when they can go to a real Deli. Can you imagine what it must be like in middle america. I travel and some of these remote places its all chain restaurants.

We are very lucky. I never made any sense to me when i see a Subway in NYC. Its a food sandwich travesty.

ThaiMaster18 ThaiMaster18
Oct '17

Agree, I never liked Subway..always thought Blimpies was better. Depending on the Quick Chek..I've had some really good sandwiches.

positive positive
Oct '17

Just being Devil's advocate but why couldn't Subway be locally owned? Heck, it's staffed with local workers. I mean I am all for spending money locally but just because it's a national brand does not mean most of the money is not being spent local.

Ianimal ruined Subway for me by describing what's in the meat and where the meat comes from (formed rolls). Liked the low-fat and healthy options but apparently it depends on your definition of healthy and Subway has a lower bar than I (and Iman :>)

Sub Shack rules.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Oct '17

Jared is getting a 5 dollar foot long in prison.

ThaiMaster18 ThaiMaster18
Oct '17

We need a Jersey Mikes!

Lou Wanda Lou Wanda
Oct '17

There's a Jersey Mikes in Roxbury. They're overpriced.

Metsman Metsman
Oct '17

The sandwiches at the new Country Corner Store and Cafe in Port Murray are very good.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '17

The sandwiches at The Grove are very good.

Wendy Leach Wendy Leach
Oct '17

sub shack is all we need

"I wonder if its Jared Fogle fallout."

Yah - I heard that Tzatziki Cucumber sauce had a secret ingredient in it - rim shot please!

I think Subway's problem is that they just had so many restaurants. I can't remember the last time I was at subway where there was more than one or two other people there. As you might know, that's how A&P's long decline started back in the 60s. No company can support having a location every two miles...

1988LJ 1988LJ
Oct '17

**cough**Starbuck's***cough

scottso scottso
Oct '17

I think that you all have it right - Subway serves higher-priced, low quality sandwiches in our environment where we are lucky to have a choice of better quality and better priced comparable product...

rleaf rleaf
Oct '17

Very sad they closed!!!! it was my one pregnancy craving.. the one on top of htown mountain closed about 2 months ago the one by shop rite has been closed def close to a year ago if not more and the subway next to ihop closed about 3 weeks ago. Idk if there employees knew since I’d legit go in close to every single day (I know it was an issue)and they never once said anything to me. So now the closest one would be ITC by SkyZone !!!

BrittanyScholl BrittanyScholl
Oct '17

Calico - where is that in Port Murray?

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
Oct '17

Botheredbyuu2 - It's the Anderson Hotel at Route 57 and Asbury-Anderson Rd.

Not open on sunday I think.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Oct '17

Yes, the old Anderson Hotel and closed on Sunday.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '17

Subway's subs were mediocre at best and the ingredients did not taste fresh. I'm perfectly happy with the subs I get at QuickChek and Sub Shack, although QuickChek is more convenient for me.

SquirrelGirl SquirrelGirl
Oct '17

I love the sub shack in town I was just asking, what happen to sub way. Another store closing. and another empty building but we keep building

I wish they would build a supermarket on the west side of town

Bug3
Oct '17

Sub shack might be good to you all BUT they can't make a decent steak and cheese sub!

Earnhardtnov13 Earnhardtnov13
Oct '17

Subway is going through some tough times no doubt. Spokesperson Jared Fogle fallout not to mention the Co-founding father and former CEO Fred Deluca passed away toward the end of 2015. I believe his sister now runs the business.

Lenny Rock Lenny Rock
Oct '17

Sub Shack?
Excellent value and a fixture in town.
The make maybe 100 different sandwiches-look at the size of their menus board.
My highest recommendation.

Stymie Stymie
Oct '17

Sub Shack is always great. wish they took a card though!

UserFriendly UserFriendly
Oct '17

Calico - oh is that what its called? I pass quite often but never saw a name.
Will have to try it.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Oct '17

Sub shack is a staple in our area...would much rather eat a sub from there than whatever pathetic thing Subway churns out

Foodeater247
Oct '17

Subway bread always smelled off to me, even when they baked it in old Hackettstown Mall. The 'yoga mat' bread ingredient was what ended it for me. They say its been taken out but who knows what else is in there. C&L for us.

hktownie hktownie
Oct '17

+1000 foodeater

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
Oct '17

Subway wasn't the only one that used the *yoga mat* ingredient.
https://www.eater.com/2016/8/8/12403338/subway-yoga-mat-chemical-mcdonalds-burger-king-wendys

happiest girl
Oct '17

A quick search revealed the following:

A McDonald's bun still has the yoga mat ingredient -- azodicarbonamide -- as well as high fructose corn syrup. Also has DATEM which is controversial.

A Burger King bun also has azodicarbonamide and high fructose corn syrup, and has both dough strengtheners and dough softeners. How's that for an oxymoron.

happiest girl
Oct '17

Well it actually seems Subway's bread is less controversial than the others.
https://www.subway.com/~/media/usa/documents/nutrition/usprodingredients.pdf

happiest girl
Oct '17

Best solution is not to eat at any of the chain places. Haven't been to McDonald's, BK or Wendy's in years, the food makes me feel sick.

At home we either bake our own bread or get from a bakery and put a few extra in the freezer.

For eating out we either eat salad and skip the bread, or go to a good local place that brings in bread from a bakery (such as Anthony & Sons) :-) Even Weis and SR 'bakery' bread is full of ingredients that don't need to be there. Sometimes we buy that one that begins with C, can't remember the name, if I didn't have time to bake. Simple ingredient list.

Then there's the meat.. deli meat isn't good for you, but if we eat any it's Boars Head brand or we get chicken breast.

So picky I guess, but it works for us.

hktownie hktownie
Nov '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.