Town curfew for minors?

Can you tell me if there is a curfew for minors (14 yrs) In Hackettstown?
Thank you!

Call town police and find out

roadbiker roadbiker
Oct '17

I think they leave that up to the moms and dads .
Our 14 year old had to be home for dinner and in our house by 9.

There’s a curfew usually in the days leading up to Halloween and on Halloween itself.

Njchia Njchia
Oct '17

I figured for Halloween, yes. Last night and Friday night I saw teenagers about 12-14 walking at 12:30 AM, ugh. thanks

I no growing up in the 80s in mount olive the fire siren would go off every night at ten that was curfew I would think it is still on the books just not enforced

80schild 80schild
Oct '17

What is the "ugh" for?

Ramcharger Ramcharger
Oct '17

The "ugh" was I'm wondering what the young adults are doing at that hour. It just seemed disturbing to me.., simply said out of concern

There was a homecoming game Fri night and homecoming dance Sat nigth...both said scheduled at 7pm-10. Maybe that's why they were still out late, but parents should make sure they were home sooner. If they were seniors, maybe were allowed to stay up late. Just commenting on maybe why they were still around that late.

momOf2 momOf2
Oct '17

yep to that, 12-14 years old and out after midnight, truly is an 'ugh',

wonder if they ever go home and find their parents are drunker than they are . . . .

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Oct '17

I work at a restaurant in town and we often have kids around 12-14 years old coming in late without parents, between 10-11pm. Always surprises me a bit.

Katherine Katherine
Oct '17

I was a server at Applebee's a while back. To be honest what else is there for kids to do on a weekend. Can raid mom's cabinet or what here? Bowling alley no. Arcade no. Some other way to make there life fun no. Wait 7 to 3 yrs you may have something.

Yesimpc Yesimpc
Oct '17

The fact that there is nothing to do in this area does not excuse 12-14 year old CHILDREN to be out at 12:30 AM without an adult.If there is an event like a night football game or dance 10 PM might be unrealistic, but 12:30 is unacceptable, in my opinion.

Parental Unit Parental Unit
Oct '17

How do we know the age of these children? I’ve seen freshman at the high school who look way younger, and sophomores who I would swear are 19/20. Without asking them how do we know?

Njchia Njchia
Oct '17

They were all freshmen,, my son is friends with two of them. I don't mean to point a finger at the teenagers. It concerns me for obvious reasons. Guess I will ask the local police. Thank you for all of the input!

Only time there is a curfew in town is just prior to Halloween. Rest of the year there is no curfew

http://www.hackettstown.net/app/download/6814038/Code+Ordinance.pdf

Section 9 Article 5

Jim L Jim L
Oct '17

Thank you Jim L.., this is not comforting!

Really? We want the government to be telling us when/where our children should be? We want judgemental individuals who don't like specific kids make rules restricting behavior or others? When I was young, there were days/nights when we were out late, playing "man hunt" or hanging out together, walking around - and we all survived, the neighborhood survived and our parents were the ones making the discipline decisions... bizarre.

rleaf rleaf
Oct '17

rleaf, I agree it should be up to the parents. But that's the point....where are they? Adolescent children should not be out walking the streets or going to the diner at 12:30 AM. without an adult!! There are too many predators out there and a couple of young people are often an easy target.

Parental Unit Parental Unit
Oct '17

rleaf
Really? Yes Really
We want the government to be telling us when/where our children should be?
yes we do when a group of People( remember the WE THE PEOPLE part in some historacl document) want a law or odanance we work to get past in to law ) the we are part is you and me

We want judgemental individuals who don't like specific kids make rules restricting behavior or others?
A curfew would be a blanket law that will not point one group but to all

When I was young, there were days/nights when we were out late, playing "man hunt" or hanging out together, walking around - and we all survived, the neighborhood survived and our parents were the ones making the discipline decisions... bizarre.

To a lot of people they think we live in a let them do as they want world and we no longer live in a father knows best world and leave it to beaver lives next door well they don't is there to much control in some places its to much but that why every law can be fine tuned to make it work

do I feel there needs to be a curfew yes midnight to 5am but I feel that parents have to step up and set guide lines for there children in some cases they don't and its a shame

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Oct '17

This isn't war people.., just a concerned mom who is looking out for the safety of all of our children!

Get a grip Rose. If you don't want your kid out at 12 midnight, then give him/her a curfew. Don't worry about other people's kids. Worry about your own. Just because they are out at 12 midnight doesn't mean they are up to no good. Are you worried about the kids or your property??

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
Oct '17

Really? Post is over.. I just said Im not pointing fingers at the kids. Im in a rental. Has nothing to do with the property. Do you have kids? Nieces? Nephews?
Hackettstown is not what it used to be.., rant over..

No harm no foul

Weedwacker Weedwacker
Oct '17

Should kids that young be out that late? No.
Is it the government's role to control that? No

https://www.aclu.org/news/court-strikes-down-nj-citys-curfew

music gal music gal
Oct '17

I was driving in Hackettstown the other day and I saw a man in his 80’s driving, why doesn’t the government test a person over 75 to make sure their reflexes, eyesight, or dementia , it’s disturbing really.

Happy man Happy man
Oct '17

Why stop?

Let's curfew the entire town, except those with work passes, after midnight. That way police won't have to determine age making there job easier. Anyone found on the street should be incarcerated for 24 hours, repeat offenders will be forced into public service as crossing guards. Anyone over 75 should be tested to 50-year old reflex standards including eyesight and dementia tests with those falling below the line institutionalized. Finally, any hipsters can be arrested on sight any time, any place especially if they have those dumb little beards and the stupid glasses.

Ah, the night. Late night. To be young. To be alive. To be free. Free.

"Shooting up pie-in-the-sky, The Bewlay Brothers
In the feeble and the bad, The Bewlay Brothers
In the blessed and cold
In the crutch-hungry dark
Was where we flayed our mark
Oh, and we were gone
Kings of oblivion
We were so turned on
In the mind-warp pavilion"

Sometimes only the dark can illuminate that which is hidden.....In my teens, when we lived in a one-road with a cul-de-sac 40-house development in the country surrounded by cows and pasture, a young lad was wandering the street in his pj's at 3 a.m. Our "sherriff of Standing Woods" as we called this late night crime fighting neighbor walked the young man home by shotgun. This teenager had just returned after his tour in Vietnam to the land of the free, the home of the brave. He joined our revolution the next day and I daresay you have seen his picture during those 70's anti-war protest montages seen so often in period pieces.

Peace.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Oct '17

So how do we get one?

Lili - How do we get one you ask? Start parenting!!! That easy.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Oct '17

Rose said she was "disturbed" that they were out late, and was concerned "for obvious reasons." Those reasons are not obvious to me.

What would the purpose of the curfew be? To prevent these wild hoodlums from committing crime, or protect these innocent children from the harm of the night?

music gal music gal
Oct '17

@music gal..."Hackettstown is not what it used to be" could be the key. I would take that to mean that years ago this would have never happened. I know first hand that is not true.

Bessie Bessie
Oct '17

U want a curfew? Thats crazy.

Roywhite Roywhite
Oct '17

Why do we need one? That's my question?

Ziggy Ziggy
Oct '17

when did parents lose or give up all control?

4catmom 4catmom
Oct '17

Its ten p.m do you know where your children are?

80schild 80schild
Oct '17

I have a 12 year old (almost 13). Recently she went to a friend's house to sleep over after a football game. I met the mother. Very nice and we even talked a little about her daughter getting her cell taken away for getting in trouble. So I knew we had similar parenting styles. The girls asked if they could go down the street to a bonfire. Being 10pm the mom said no it's too late. When she went downstairs from reading to check on the girls they were gone with the screen out of the living room window. The girls definitely had consequences for sneaking out but I do agree if there was a curfew they would have thought twice or at least been brought home. I don't see anything wrong with extra help with the kids nowadays. They are way more advanced than we used to be.

Blondie781 Blondie781
Oct '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.