Scrap Metal Pick Up

I have an old 5' metal locker that I would like picked up. I have had Dudley remove items in the past but I am not getting any phone call return. Any other suggestions on who to call? I tried to search but only found old threads.

justwondering justwondering
Oct '17

the problem is its worth about 50 cents in scrap so for someone to pick it up for free when gas is 2.75 a gallon is going to be tough.

htownguy
Oct '17

Post it on Craigslist. I did that last week and a guy came out and got the metal that day.

Hopeful Hopeful
Oct '17

Leave it on the street.itlls be gone within a few days so long as there some level of foot or car traffic. Also methods.

peder hollinghurst peder hollinghurst
Oct '17

Have used these guys for multiple items, multiple times. Highly recommend. http://www.ironcladscrappers.com/
https://www.facebook.com/IronCladScrappersandCleanOuts/

LVMomOfBoys LVMomOfBoys
Oct '17

As a follow up, Dudley did respond and items taken. Thank you Dudley, nice guy. Thanks all for suggestions.

Oct '17

Does anyone have a name and number of a "guy" that takes scrap metal for free? Particularly a hot water heater.

Htown Citizen Htown Citizen
Apr '19

Any current suggestions here? I have a hot water heater and a truck box that I need gone.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '20

Put in the crub with a free sign. Someone will take it.

Sacks cousin
Jan '20

Unfortunately, I live on a dead end street. Nobody is passing by. :-(

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '20

Sack - you really don't know where she lives, do you. ;-)

Calico - I take it your DPW won't. Quite a few of them do these days. Otherwise post on Craigslist or FreeCycle and someone is bound to take it. Hopefully they can actually find it...

Stop by the Washington Shop Rite and pick up a Treasure Hunt magazine or go on
www.treasurehunt.online. There use to be a guy who put an add in weekly and would pick up just about anything.

Spring fever Spring fever
Jan '20

Is it outside? I can probably pick it up and take it to the scrapyard.

Craftbeerlover Craftbeerlover
Jan '20

Craftbeerlover - Yes, the water heater and the truck box are both outside. My husband's pickup is not running right now, so he can't take it. Some other guy he knows was supposed to come get both and take them for scrap. But we haven't heard from him. I'll PM you.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '20

OK, sounds good

Craftbeerlover Craftbeerlover
Jan '20

Post on fb marketplace and the junk sites. All my scrap metal, fridges, dishwasher, etc were taken for free. People came and hauled it off. I kept getting messages.

metal bed to be picked up in Hackettstown NJ

jon stone jon stone
Feb '22

I need to get rid of my hot water heater which I just had replaced. Any suggestions? There used to be a local guy in town who would take scrap metal but not sure if he's still around.

Rob Durana Rob Durana
May '23

1. If you can take a quick drive to Rockaway then Rockaway Recycling and get $ your self.

2. Otherwise if you just put it out by the curb, it will disappear. Trucks go circling neighborhoods all the time around here.

3. Most towns will collect that. In Hackettstown you have to alert DPW but they will absolutely take that for you.

There is an ad right in the classifieds here on HL for free scrap pick up. Bobby is a good guy.

I have used Bobby as well. Nice person and came pretty quickly.

May '23

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. The water heater would not fit in my smaller SUV so taking it to Rockaway was not an option. I live in a townhome and my association can be a pain at times, so I didn't want to leave it curbside, plus I'm near the end of a dead-end street so no through traffic. I ended up calling Bobby, and his dad Rob came the same day (yesterday). Great guy, and very accommodating to my schedule. I'll definitely use them again and recommend them to anyone looking to get rid of scrap metal.

- Rob

Rob Durana Rob Durana
May '23

This may be a stupid question, but can I do the same with a dead air compressor? That is, will the scrap metal guy(s) take it?

Monty Monty
May '23

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Scrap Metal Pick Up
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.