Jacob Allen House

Looks to be empty again, whats the story?

eapos eapos
Sep '17

I thought it was going to be an art studio of sorts. Beautiful building.

It is now for sale. Asking $569,000. $13,000+ are the property taxes.

Here are some photos.

http://www.estately.com/listings/info/206-w-moore-st--5

what beautiful old home..............

4catmom 4catmom
Sep '17

They don't build em like that anymore- but almost $600,000 PLUS almost $1100 a month in taxes alone?

I hope any potential buyers are aware of what the upkeep on such a home would cost.

This isn't Cape May. Other than nostalgia, I see no benefit to this house and could not justify anywhere near the cost to own. (which will be much higher than just the mortgage and tax would imply)

Go to Belvidere- and take a look at a lot of the nice old homes- many are in decline and need repair, paint, wood work, etc. The costs are just too high to maintain without the rental income that something like Cape May offers- and even there a lot of the homes in Cape May are more neglected than they should be, or have been in previous years.

They cancelled Belvidere day this year due to 'lack of interest'...although I think it runs deeper than that. If people had money to pay taxes AND fix up their house- there would be more proud people wanting to share the experience. Guess which one comes first VS which SHOULD come first? Maint should be the priority- not guys with guns.

And on a side rant- I hate taxes. Please explain to me why the G'ment deserves and justifies forcibly taking $1100 a month in this example for someone to live there?

Would an occupant use $1100 a month, roughly $37 a day worth of services or wear and tear to roads, etc? No. Self enforced theft based on self written laws. Burn baby burn. This ship won't sail forever.

If the kitchen was updated a bit you probably would get that price but no way will it go for that much. I see updates from the last sale but lacking. With 8 bedrooms and only 2.1 bathrooms you cant even use it as a B&B. Beautiful home though. Lets just hope the college doesn't buy it. If so there goes the taxes.

Bergey
Sep '17

My favorite house in town. I think the sellers are being overly optimistic. The house sold for $400K last time. It hasn't gained that much since.

Josh, I can't speak about taxes but while I understand you might not see any benefit to old houses like this as it is a personal thing, they are hugely important to towns in less quantifiable ways. Maybe it has something to do with the kind of civic pride and grandeur that once flourished in the USA but is now exceedingly absent. Perhaps it's the fine architecture of the era, again, missing today. But whatever it is, these beauties are part of what makes a town unique. Otherwise, Hackettstown would just be anywhere, USA.

I can attest that old houses take a lot of love and upkeep, but to some of us the work is worth it. To a few of us, it is a life passion.

eperot eperot
Sep '17

Plus homeowners insurance at high cost unless you opt for a cheaper policy with builders grade repair/replacement...

Such beautiful windows.. thanks for sharing the pics. I've often wondered what it looked like inside. I hope someone will buy it who will appreciate and take care of it.

The kitchen doesn't seem to fit though. For the size of the house I would want a more upgraded kitchen with more storage and work-surface space.

hktownie hktownie
Sep '17

I lived in a town that was settled in 1720. Back in the 60's they tore down a large home with a big wraparound porch right in the middle of town. It was once a mance for the local church, That woke up people and they formed a Historical society. They have saved many homes now and one whole neighborhood is preserved with the owner's permission. That lot was never built on to this day I believe. Just this week they turned down the proposal to teardown a house built in 1755 for TownHouses

Old Gent Old Gent
Sep '17

Josh,

Don't forget that the state you are in is 49 BILLION in debt to the UNION workers in the state.

This is debt that younger people did not incur, but an older generation that, just like you, did not feel that taxes should be paid, yet they want to collect benefits into old age. The same benefits that the older people in congress are working very hard to strip you of right now.

Difference is, as a young person, that older person is now going to hand their debt for you to pay. So if you don't like your tax bill now, you really aren't going to like it in the future. When they check out, you are left holding the bag.

"And on a side rant- I hate taxes. Please explain to me why the G'ment deserves and justifies forcibly taking $1100 a month in this example for someone to live there?"

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2017/02/njs_pension_deficit_reached_491_last_year.html

Dodgeball Dodgeball
Sep '17

I've been told there was an exact copy on the corner of Grand Ave and Washington St. It was bought and torn down to make room for the Hackettstown Post Office.

fire251 fire251
Sep '17

I think with some updates it could make a great B&B, good location. Would need to enlarge the kitchen and add a couple of bathrooms, if that's allowed in a historical building. Not sure of the zoning though.

hktownie hktownie
Oct '17

The last purchaser who bought it for $400k bought it to flip! They put in all new electrical and pluming and cleaned up the lot quite a bit, it looks amazing now. And it's on .92 acre in the middle of town - I think they'll get the price or something close. Hoping it goes to someone who appreciates it and will be a good neighbor.

trekster3~ trekster3~
Oct '17

Is it still on the market?

nina
Jan '18

Such a beautiful Victorian. It’s pending sale now, according to Zillow.com

Scarlett Scarlett
Jan '18

Went away for the weekend and noticed lights on and the real estate signs gone --- tried a search but couldn't find out --- before I hound my real estate friends, does anyone know how much it sold for? All I could see where estimates....

~trekster3 ~trekster3
Feb '18

Should be in the express-times in a month or so

Bug3
Feb '18

I saw on a real estate mailer that it sold for $515,000

Spence Spence
Feb '18

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.