Arthur terrace

Just wanted to see what people thought about the parking in the development of aurthor terrace. I usually drive through that neiboorhood and today was almost hit head on because of the amount of cars parked on turns and on the side of the road.

I prefer when cars are parked on both sides of Arthur Terrace. It forces people to slow down and or pull to the side when driving through the area. Arthur and Mitchell are routinely used as a pass thorough and I would say conservatively 6 or 7 out of every 10 cars exceed the speed limit on that road.

When a car approaches in the opposite direction it forces drivers to slow or pull to the side. If playing "chicken" is your driving game of choice, there are usually plenty of opportunities on that stretch of road.

Greg, in theory, but it doesn't really deter people. We have a similar situation in my development with narrow streets, parking on both sides, and winding/steep hills (thought it's not a cut through like yours). People do not give af half the time and there are many near misses as people go flying through the development.

Tracy Tracy
Sep '17

Has gotten out of control, may not be so bad if people parked near curbs, but some large vehicles on curbs really do make it Hazardous. I drive through there at speed limit or below as I live on Washington which is wider but still hazardous when people dont park close to curbs. Situation is alot worse on Garbage pickup days as the trucks are forced to take up whole lane of traffic since they can't get near curbs. Since town did away with the overnight parking ban it has been getting worse and worse. Some days I cannot even get in my own driveway or if I have company they are forced to quite a distance away. Yes it slows people down, but what happens when the collisions occur, or God forbid a child decides to cross in an area that these vehicles are parked near.
If the Quick check gets approval you may see worse traffic through those areas or it may get better as no one will want to go near the intersection of bell and Washington. Either way traffic & parking in most areas of town have gotten worse.

Speed bumps will help solve some of the problems..knowing we have school age kids walking to school on these roads, it boggles my mind that the town has not taken serious considerations and precautions to slow down or reduce traffic flow through the above mentioned streets. No wonder parents are reluctant to let kids go out and play.
SPEED BUMPS ON MITCHELL RD AND ARTHUR TERRACE ARE NEEDED!

definlife
Sep '17

The parking can be a problem on Arthur Terrace, especially on the curves. You cannot always tell if someone is coming the other way if both sides have cars parked on them. Backing out of your driveway can be an adventure too. I know the theory is; the parked cars slow down the traffic and reduces speeding, but it can create other hazards. Besides, I always thought it was illegal to park on a curve. I thought you had to be "so many feet away" from the curve. I guess I have to go back and check my Driver's Manual from the MVC. Maybe it would help if at least the curbs around the curves were painted yellow with no parking signs. Parking on a curve is very dangerous due to the reduced visibility it causes.

JBJSKJ JBJSKJ
Sep '17

H'town police used to sit where Mitchell ends at Lawrence and "shoot" radar at the speeders on Mitchell cutting through to 57. Haven't seen them in there in years and they should be. If word were to get around that H'town police were as tough as the Washington cops over on the 46 hill, maybe people would slow down.

OldSam
Sep '17

Speed is a major concern on Arthur Terrace/Mitchell as it's clearly used as a cut-thru volume & speed increasingly worse over the years. What drivers fail to realize is the need to slow down as it's residential territory - tons of kids. I know for a fact that the cars that park on the curve are doing so purposely to slow drivers down and I applaud them. As a result, driver's need to slow down proceed with caution NOT barrel thru the curve and hope there is nobody coming. Common sense. As for the volume of cars parked on streets it's a combination of very small driveways that can't accommodate multiple drivers & cohabitating at a higher rate per household with no room to park on their property. Nothing much you can do about it but park in the street.

Brian10 Brian10
Sep '17

This lady in England had the same problem and stood on her front lawn with a hairdryer. Passing cars thought she was holding a radar gun and everyone slowed down. It's on YouTube somewhere.

Consigliere
Sep '17

If anyone doesn't like the cars parked on the streets in Kenwood, then they can drive somewhere else. Please do and stop using our neighborhood as a way to avoid the traffic lights on Mountain Avenue.

Walking Girl Walking Girl
Sep '17

i think the cars shou ld park with their right tires on the grass or on top of the curb. there's only room for ONE car to pass down Arthur Terrace in alot of spots !!

Hackresident Hackresident
Sep '17

Some folks on Mitchell do that Hackresident. I don't nor would I. I often park two of my vehicles on opposite sides of the street in front of my home just off the curb to encourage slower driving on my street. I would rather my vehicle get hit than a child, pedestrian, or pet. For whoever doesn't like it I say tough cookies! LOL. Hey it's a more gentle approach for me. In the past I would roll a soccer ball into the street in front of speeding cars to get their attention. It would get a response!

Speed tables would be a great addition to Mitchell and Arthur Terrace. With alt of the families living there as well as the school children walking along that stretch it's only a matter of time before something terrible occurs.

This lady in England had the same problem and stood on her front lawn with a hairdryer. Passing cars thought she was holding a radar gun and everyone slowed down. It's on YouTube somewhere. @ Consigliere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9Wssq51NuM

LOL

Natari Natari
Sep '17

Thanks for starting this thread Gino. As a Kenwood resident, the traffic from 57 through our neighborhood has become ridiculous. People sit in traffic, become frustrated and race up Lawrence, Herbert, or Laurie.

As a resident, I am not crazy about the cars parked on the curves, but I know they will be there and drive cautiously. My guess is that people in a rush to cut through Kenwood are trying to make up for lost time sitting in traffic on 57 and don't realize that the street essentially becomes a one-way when cars are parked on both sides of the street.

Even if it meant driving over speed bumps every day, I would be 100% for them on Lawrence, Herbert, and Laurie.

I do drive through the neighborhood occassionally to get to other local streets. To me, the cars parked on both sides make it more difficult to see, no matter my speed. When cars are not parked on both sides, taking some of my attention, it is much easier to see kids trying to cross the street, cars backing out of driveways, etc. Instead of easily seeing such things, my attention is focused on the obstacle course of cars and trying to see if another car is coming so that I have to pull over.

Why not just pull to the right, blink your lights and yield.
Jeez.
Maybe 10-20 seconds.
I'm the sole supporter of my household, and I have the time.
Whatever happened to driving etiquette and common courtesy?

Stymie Stymie
Sep '17

the residents definitely make a bad situation dangerous by parking on both sides of the streets. too many curves and the road is too narrow.

scottso scottso
Sep '17

The cars parked on both sides are not a safety issue. They simply make pass thru vehicles slow down.

Sep '17

Cars parked on the curve limit your sight distance.
Lack of visibility is always a safety hazard at any speed.

JBJKSJ JBJKSJ
Sep '17

It's a mess. They go so fast. If you go the speed limit, they ride your bumper. People even pass you on Mitchell. Crazy.

Dsl1929 Dsl1929
Sep '17

I've lived on Mitchell Rd.for 15 plus years. I've had the Maple tree in front of my house hit twice, and one speeding kid completely took out a Japanese Maple in the middle of my front yard before coming to a stop in my neighbors driveway. I also had the mirror taken of of my car. A house was hit last year.I love to see the cars parked on both sides and force people to slow down. There are plenty of little kids in the neighborhood who walk and ride their bikes on the sidewalk. It's a RESIDENTIAL road, if you have a problem with people who live there parking on both sides then stay on Mountain ave!

Denis Denis
Sep '17

I do find the parking on both sides annoying when someone just tries to rush through the parked cars. Seriously though, if residents are having to place their own "barriers" to slow down speeders, why haven't the local pd come into play? Seems to me easy town money to place a speed trap every now and again.

Yesimpc Yesimpc
Sep '17

@Yesimpc Good question, I haven't seen them in years. They could be writing a ticket every 2 minutes around rush hour.

Denis Denis
Sep '17

WalkingGirl said: "The cars parked on both sides are not a safety issue. They simply make pass thru vehicles slow down."

that's obviously false from the various complaints of speeders on this thread. however, i realize it makes the home owners on Mitchell 'feel' better to take such an action. but you are just as guilty of creating a dangerous situation as the speeders. God forbid a kid were to jump out from behind one of those parked cars.

scottso scottso
Sep '17

and I do sympathize with you all on Mitchell. you couldn't pay me to live over there. seems like an awful environment to raise a family.

scottso scottso
Sep '17

Dsl1929 said, "If you go the speed limit, they ride your bumper."

Very true. I pass through there about once a week. I always drive the speed limit or a bit less if no one is behind me. But more often than not, someone comes flying up behind me and tailgates. That's when I slow down even more. :-)

Rob Durana Rob Durana
Sep '17

Denis- I have talked with several different officers many times over the years about the speeding on these streets. The response was always the same- the police will make more patrols and perhaps sit and conduct radar. It never seems to happen.
I actually had one new officer a few years back argue with me about the issue of speeders in the area asking me if I had official training or was an expert in recognizing speeding cars and such. I had lived in the neighborhood and witnessed that type of driving longer than he was alive! I consider myself an an expert when it relates to these streets and speed for sure.

Also, "that's obviously false from the various complaints of speeders on this thread".Scottso.
If they are speeding they have no right or room to complain about cars parked on both sides of the street. In addition I would never condone parking on curves as that would be illegal and a hazard. However cars park on opposite sides of streets all over town. It is not an issue as most residential neighborhood streets are not used as a pass through. The streets in Kenwood are used heavily for this purpose. Kids can jump out from behind any parked car on any street. That argument in invalid in my opinion.

Perhaps Arthur could be made one-way in one direction and Mitchell one-way in the other (between its two intersections with Arthur)? It would solve the sight distance and head-on traffic issues, but probably not the speeding issue.

ianimal ianimal
Sep '17

I've lived in the neighborhood for 9 years. I can't say I've ever seen anyone clearly speeding. I think some of you have no concept of how fast 25mph is. I've seen the opposite issue driving through there behind people going 10-15mph.

Metsman Metsman
Sep '17

This thread make me wish we could park on both sides of Grand Avenue. For those complaining about having to slow down in a residential area, feel free to speed in front of your own house not those of the residents on Mitchell and Arthur.

I'm the guy driving 25, usually with a tailgater behind me who make a point to yield to oncoming cars at every parked car.

Parking on the street is actually a recommended strategy for slowing down cars in residential areas if you go to neighborhood watch seminars. Much more effective than speed bumps, which some folks especially SUV's and trucks with high ground clearance either ignore or speed up for.

Agust Agust
Sep '17

However cars park on opposite sides of streets all over town.

really Greg? like where? can't think of any spot in town. well warren st. when there's activities.

scottso scottso
Sep '17

You need to get out walking more in the neighborhood Metsman! LOL.

I have lived here over 26 years and witness speeding on these streets daily.

Actually I have a good idea of how fast 25 mph is. A car travels about 36 feet per second at 25 mph. On average the properties in Kenwood are about 80 feet wide. It should take a car about 2 full seconds to pass a given property. That is a long time, either when you count "1 one thousand, 2 one thousand or use a stopwatch. I have used this over and over and I assert many times a car passes the property before the full two seconds are complete. That clearly means the 25 mph is being exceeded. I have watched cars on my security camera system that are literally a blink on the screen passing my home during play back. I can use the time stamp on the DVR to really demonstrate this.

Absolutely Scottso. Cars park on both sides of the streets in Hackettstown unless prohibited like Water Street for example. Also areas of Mitchell to prohibit high school students from parking there.

I'm doing 30. But patked cars slow me to 25

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Sep '17

I know it's legal to do so, but most residential neighborhoods do not park on both sides to the extent you guys do. You guys take it to the extreme.

scottso scottso
Sep '17

Oh sorry Greg you might have caught me going 28... LOL... It's a non-issue and I've walked the neighborhood plenty of times.

Metsman Metsman
Sep '17

Jeez, the people around here are really getting crotchety. People purposefully blocking the road with their cars because a few people go a little fast through town? Gosh.

Heidi Heidi
Sep '17

Heidi, not crotchety just proactive. Oh and get off my lawn you darn kids.

Agust Agust
Sep '17

Heidi, It's more than "a few people" that go very fast in our neighborhood. It's been a problem that has gotten worse over the years. I wish that the town would put in speed tables so that we can enjoy our neighborhood.

Sep '17

I love to park my 3 cars, RV and motorcycle on both sides of Lawrence Dr and watch everyone crawl through. I also love to drive 25 mph through the entire development (multiple times if I'm bored) from 57 to Quick Check and back, just to slow people down.

If you don't like the narrow streets, stay on Mountain Ave and 57.

Oh but wait, you are trying to save time and why not save more time by speeding through a residential neighborhood. I have lived on Lawrence Dr for 19 years and have witnessed much stupidity, rollover accidents, crashes, skid marks through front lawns, mirrors knocked off cars, texting while speeding in a 25.... it happens all the time.

HPD is out there and they do pull people over, how many tickets are issued is a question I can't answer.

Mike on Lawrence Mike on Lawrence
Sep '17

I've lived on Arthur, my mom is on Mitchell and I'm on Laurie
I purposely do not park my car opposite another car on the street bc my car and other family members cars have been hit and then they run... speeders are everywhere
I teach my children to be careful that's all I can do

H-town Mama H-town Mama
Sep '17

hey, i know! Put up a toll booth, that will restrict traffic volume and flow and earn you a few bucks

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Sep '17

You're busted Metsman! LOL. Actually you would know if I saw you- I yell as loud as I can at speeders when I'm walking. Believe me they hear me.

Mike, you create a great gauntlet on the Autobahn- I mean Lawrence Drive. You would think that is the quarter mile strip at Island Dragway the way people tear down it from 57.

Arthur terrace does not have the sole monopoly on speeders. All of the cut through streets and the main road ways are loaded with them. People are selfish and just don't give a dam.

auntiel auntiel
Sep '17

People parking on the street that live there is a huge pet peeve of mine to begin with....unless it is because you had your driveway paved or something similar. If your driveway does not fit all of your vehicles then get rid of some vehicles or move to a place with enough parking.
For those parking on both sides of the street on purpose....doing so on a street that has two way traffic....insane. That is a huge safety hazard and If I were the cops I'd address that before the speeding.
I have been through there a million times. Sometimes to avoid traffic and sometimes just to visit people that live there and I agree with Metsman lol. Most times I am annoyed because people drive ridicuolously slow through there.
Honestly most everyone that has lived here for any length of time uses side streets all over town to get around. Yours is not the only development that has pass through traffic.
I guess that is something to consider when buying your next house..

JRT, it makes me smile knowing that I am a cause your discontent. I park my vehicles legally, do you drive through my neighborhood obeying the speed limit? If so, I have no beef with you.

Mike on Lawrence Mike on Lawrence
Sep '17

Re: Arthur terrace

"If your driveway does not fit all of your vehicles then get rid of some vehicles or move to a place with enough parking".

Wait, what?

So if I raise three children close in age who all drive plus two parents driving totaling 5 cars that don't fit in most driveways I have to move?

LMAO.

I second Mike's thought as well. Use the neighborhood as a cut through, it is what it is. Volume is not the issue, speeding is.

@metsman, your comment is clearly total BS.

@Heidi, crotchety??? I was one of the people who purposely parked my car on the street when my kids were little. As I said I had 3 incidents where speeding cars ended up on my front yard doing damage. The one car that took out the tree in the middle of my front yard would have killed any child who was there at the time. Wanting to protect your children from potential injury or death doesn't make you crotchety in my mind. There was a house that was hit just last year.

@Greg I used to call the police frequently too, and offered my driveway for them to use as it would be an ideal location, never any positive response. Makes you wonder if the powers that be look the other way since it relieves congestion on Mountain ave.

@JRT I'm glad anytime someone is annoyed by cars going slow there.

Denis Denis
Sep '17

JRT no one said ours was the only development with pass thru traffic. That's not even a debate or even worth a discussion. I do not care WHY someone is driving thru our development, I care HOW they drive thru our development. I can and will park my car(s) anywhere I legally please too. If it bothers, you than maybe you should consider that the next time you think about driving thru here.

Sep '17

It makes me laugh that people have so much time in their daily lives that they can play musical vehicles and drive aimlessly around the neighborhood.

IMO Greg ....yes. I own only a certain amount of property and if what I own doesn't fit in my yard or driveway I don't put it out on the public street.
Just the way I see it...

I live on a street that the speed limit is 35 mph. People drive daily between 45-55 mph. Speeding is unsafe and could result in tradgedy...this is not a new concept. I have lived in several different towns and have travelled many roadways in NJ. I have yet to find a place where people ALWAYS abide by the speed limit.
My road has a police officer in the same spot at least a few times each week and I have lived in my home for 16 years...Yep, they still speed.

By the sound of the complaints here it doesn't seem like your car blocking is working all that well either.

Walking girl ...I already stated that I occassionally visit people in your development therefore I do drive there and it was an observation.

Of course nobody wants people speeding through their neighborhood, but it happens all over. That was my point.

@JRT consider yourself fortunate have a police officer sitting in the same spot for years. We certainly are not as fortunate, we haven't had one sitting on Mitchell in years. As far as the effectiveness goes, when in place parking on both sides does make it very hard to speed, as all the bitching about it proves.

Denis Denis
Sep '17

How is my comment BS? I live on Arthur Terrace. I don’t see people speeding when I’m driving or walking outside. I do know when you go around that bend at 25 mph, that may give the look that someone is speeding because that is a little too fast right there to do 25 around the bend. I think some don’t realize how fast 25 is. It’s not like driving through a parking lot where 10-15 is the normal speed. I’m sure you get idiots who really do speed at times, but to suggest it’s some widespread problem is comical at best…

Metsman Metsman
Sep '17

What's comical is for anyone to claim they have never seen anyone speeding on a road they have lived on for 9 years. Any residential road. I wasn't outside when the car ran across my lawn took out a tree, and ended up on my neighbors property about an inch from their house. If I was I do think it might "give the look that someone is speeding"

Denis Denis
Sep '17

JRT, such a ridiculously selfish and unrealistic comment.

positive positive
Sep '17

Parking cars on the curve to slow traffic? Crazy! Chances of your car getting hit is high. Wouldn't want my car hit, trying to be the traffic cop.

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
Sep '17

Car insurance is a wonderful thing. If someone runs into a car parked legally n Mitchell or Arthur or Grand Avenue, the owner of the parked car will get free repairs. The driver speeding through will pay through the nose. Cars slowing down not to hit cars will not get tickets, kids walking on the sidewalk will not have to dodge speeders. JRT will be annoyed.

Sounds like we all win. (Except JRT, he can just stay in his compound and park all his cars on his lawn.)

Agust Agust
Sep '17

Agust,

you said..."Car insurance is a wonderful thing. If someone runs into a car parked legally n Mitchell or Arthur or Grand Avenue, the owner of the parked car will get free repairs. The driver speeding through will pay through the nose"

Not exactly, most of the cars that are side swiped on the curves or anywhere on the street for that matter, are a hit and run. Therefore, the owner has put not only his vehicles at risk of damage but his wallet at risk as well for the deductible / premium increases / out of pocket expenses and over all aggravation. Not worth it at all, believe me.

bgood105 bgood105
Sep '17

Don't people pay a higher insurance premium if they don't park their cars on private property?

Personally I don't understand why someone would want to park their car on the public road, regardless of the reason, if they have a perfectly good driveway or garage, but that's just me.

And I agree that parking on the curves is just dangerous and stupid. So if I'm going the speed limit or slower, approaching a blind curve and another car is approaching me, where are either of us supposed to go when there are cars blocking both sides of the road? One of us now has to back out of the way? It's ridiculous.

I feel for you folks living in this area, but it's not your job to police the speeders. For what you pay in property taxes, I'd start making a much bigger stink to the town and police.

Tracy Tracy
Sep '17

Denis, a drunk probably took out your tree. We have plenty of them getting caught in town.

Metsman Metsman
Sep '17

Free repairs? YOU have a deductible, that YOU are responsible for. And sucks for YOU, not the hit and runner, that your car is now laid up being repaired. And if its hit and run, YOU are paying for your own repairs.
Park your car in your driveway, and stop trying to be the traffic cop. If that's what you want to do, get your degree and become one. SMH

Sep '17

@Metsman, he wasn't drunk just speeding. The police were there, and his car had to be towed away. It was in the middle of the day. He received multiple tickets, and his insurance company wrote a check to me and my neighbor.

@Botheredbyuu2 What part of protecting our children don't you get! I would have much prefer to pay towards my deductible on car insurance, than medical insurance. If the town does nothing about it, then it's up to the people who live here to do as they see fit.

@Tracy it is our job, since the police don't police it. If you are inconvenienced and have to back up, good! Stay on Mountain ave if you don't like it!

Denis Denis
Sep '17

Wow Denis, having a bad week??

Sep '17

This has been an issue for many years. I can remember looking for houses over 20 years ago. Looked over in that neighborhood and I knew back then that it wasn't safe. Everyone is too crowded in and the roads were too narrow. Couldn't imagine living there and bought somewhere else in town. It was that obvious.

So the people that bought houses there did so knowing what the deal is. I don't believe you people are really that dumb or unconscious. Why in the world did you ever buy a house in THAT neighborhood to begin with. From the sounds of it, won't be long before one of you does something stupid and ends up arrested.

scottso scottso
Sep '17

No I just think people who don't live here have a lot of nerve bitching about traffic when they use our neighbood as a shortcut for Mountain ave traffic..

Denis Denis
Sep '17

Do you not take the fastest route when you go somewhere? I always go the fastest way and sometimes it's on a residential street.

If you want to live somewhere without traffic, move to a dead end. Problem solved.

I do MB, and I always drive the speed limit on residential side streets. Again you or anyone else who doesn't like cars parked on the streets here, stay on Mountain ave. Problem solved..

Denis Denis
Sep '17

Actually Denis, I don't use your street, or any other, to cut through. Never have.

Tracy Tracy
Sep '17

5 people, 5 cars, at least the 2 oldest kids should move out :)

I think that parking on the street makes it more likely that a child or pet will be hit by a car that has no chance to see them enter the roadway. The car doesn't need to be speeding. Limited view for all parties.

maja2 maja2
Sep '17

Ok Denis, then the person had to be going way over the speed limit to pull that feat! So besides people going a few mph over, you've seen people going well over it? I drive through there daily. I have yet to see someone going way over. So I think it's more of a perception issue. I told someone to F off in another town because they said I was going too fast when really I was doing the speed limit.

Metsman Metsman
Sep '17

Re: Arthur terrace

@scottso, "Why in the world did you ever buy a house in THAT neighborhood to begin with" First I got a good deal on my house. I met the neighbors before I moved in and they were great. I'm still fortunate to be surrounded with great neighbors. The number one thing I liked about it is the Fish Hatchery in the back yard. I have a partial fence, and it's very peaceful, and I love the view every season. I used to live on 6th street which was more residential, but it had a small backyard that looked directly at my neighbors. Like any other home buying choice there are pro's and con's to every purchase.

Denis Denis
Sep '17

Denis, since you want to be the traffic police, why don't you block all the roads on the Rt 57 side and the Mountain Ave side so NO ONE can cut thru YOUR neighborhood?

Sep '17

@Metsman, absolutely I've seen people go way over, especially young kids. Which I get because I did the same when I was young, but it's still unsafe. As I said earlier that one kid who took out the tree in my front yard was clearly speeding, but the big old Maple tree in the front was hit twice also, but that's not going anywhere. 3 incidents where there was an accident on my front lawn is an indication of a problem.

Denis Denis
Sep '17

@Botheredbyuu2 That's one of the dumbest things you have ever said, and that's saying something. Again I don't park on the street anymore since my kids grew up, and again, don't like the cars parked here, stay on Mountain ave or deal with it.

Denis Denis
Sep '17

I've seen signs that say something like "not a thoroughfare". Maybe that would cut down on some traffic. I even lived on a street that lead to a major highway that had a gate and fence, 4 years only opened once.
For what its worth on occasion I drive in that neighborhood, I'm the guy driving responsibly.

Roywhite Roywhite
Sep '17

Oh Denis, you should run for mayor. Lol

Sep '17

Three incidents in 15+ years? Doesn't sound like an epidemic to me.

Tracy Tracy
Sep '17

Tracy 3 accidents on my front lawn, yeah that sounds normal. I'm sure everyone else has had a least a few cars crashs on their property.

Denis Denis
Sep '17

Maybe someone doesn't like you and paid people to do it. LOL

Metsman Metsman
Sep '17

Well it didn't work out too well for the 2 that hit the maple tree. Maple Tree 2 cars 0.

Denis Denis
Sep '17

Denis - I could give a crap about the cars parked on the street. I was responding more to the folks who act all territorial when people drive through the neighborhood. This isn't the first time residents of your neighborhood have complained about people driving through to avoid Mountain Ave.

I actually had two crashes in my yard last winter, so 3 over the course of 15 years isn't that impressive ;)

No one is being "territorial". If you can manage to drive through our neighborhood without speeding than be our guest. If you can't drive the speed limit and/or are bothered by where some park their cars than drive elsewhere. No one is forcing you to drive here and you do not need to drive here to get anywhere. There are main roads that you can take.

No one said 3 crashes were an epidemic but it's definitely pause for concern.

Sep '17

Well this thread is certainly much more productive than complaining to the PD if you have a true problem.

MB, this thread was started by someone complaining about cars parked on the street, not a resident. I myself used to call the police to complain, as have other residents, clearly to no avail as the absence of police cars in the neighborhood can attest.

Denis Denis
Sep '17

wow I've lived on Shelly Drive for over 30 years, yeah of course I'm going through the neighborhood to get to RT 57 to go to shop rite or what ever, but I have noticed over the past couple of years, there are been cars parked on both sides of the road where you have to wave someone on, and stop to be nice But on Lawrence there is a blind spot so if someone is parked there, you can see what is around to the corner

You want to know what a real issue is… all the idiots that blow the stop sign at the intersection of Bells Lane and Washington St. I can’t tell you how many times over the years I’ve almost nailed people turning in front of me as I go straight. The people who go straight have the right of way not the brainless wonders at the stop sign…

Metsman Metsman
Sep '17

"You want to know what a real issue is… all the idiots that blow the stop sign at the intersection of Bells Lane and Washington St."

I can't see how anybody can think that the "new" Quick Chek on that block will in ANY way make that intersection and the Arthur & Mitchell Road situation any better. Guaranteed to make it MUCH worse, both there and at the intersection with Mountain Ave. in where the last 3 days I saw very close calls in the AM There was a very close call between 3 vehicles and just behind that another 3 nearly pegged each other trying to get in the slight gap cleared as soon as the first cars from the first near collision got out of the way.

The morning before it was almost a 5 car collision as people behind car at the the stop sign tried to follow the guy in front while others were turning off Mt. Ave from both directions. Insanity

Why Quick Chek has such a ____on over getting that property is beyond me when the former Lukoil property has much better open access and is pretty sizeable.

I used to live on Victoria Lane and since I was considering moving back into Greenview Gardens I've taken those roads on purpose during varying times of the day to see how the neighborhood is currently. I'm always very serious about the speed limits in residential areas, taking special care where things are tight and/or visibility is compromised. I try to ignore the people tailgating me on Grand, High, Willow Grove, Arthur, Mitchell, etc., etc. Between that and the people blowing right through stop signs or through business parking lots to avoid lights it's obvious that people are not at all concerned about hitting someone's child or pet, and heck, pedestrians... . How many people know that if someone stops to let a pedestrian cross, the opposing traffic that's reasonably far enough away to stop in time is supposed to also come to a stop to let the pedestrian finish their crossing?

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '17

One home in the development has 7 or 8 adults living in the house. It is big.. They don't use the driveway and take up many spaces. They do however, pay their taxes and since there is no law about overnight parking, there are six to eight cars out most nites. While it is certainly their right, it is also inconsiderate. They do not care. What does irk me is that when it snows, they do not move their cars off the street so plowing is not good. Alas, they have police decals in their cars so not a word is said. At least they do not speed!!

Dsl1929 Dsl1929
Sep '17

If QuickChek gas station is approved for the corner of Bells Lane and Mountain Ave, do you think traffic will increase in the development? Many drivers already cut through to avoid the 5 corners intersection and the Mountain Ave and Main Street traffic lights. I wonder if more drivers will want to use Lawrence, Mitchell, Arthur to avoid the increased congestion as cars go in and out of the gas station.

htwnnjresident
Sep '17

why can't residents park in their own driveway instead of the street, especialy on the curves and turns of these few roads?

cars park on both sides of the street, then it's a one-lane road.

I skidded once and almost hit a parked car on the curve!

Hacklifer Hacklifer
Sep '17

I could be wrong, but I thought there was a law that stated, "No Parking on Streets when road is snow covered!" .... ????

I could swear I saw some signs to state that,. .... Or did they ( town ) relax that ordinance ?"

Embryodad Embryodad
Sep '17

@Embryodad, that's still the law, and I never see cars parked on the street where I live.

@Hacklifer don't like it, stay on Mountain ave.

Denis Denis
Sep '17

"I skidded once and almost hit a parked car on the curve!"

In a residential neighborhood? Perhaps your speed is what has the local residents concern in the first place? Skidding at 25mph would be a decent feat!

justintime justintime
Sep '17

Skidding at 25mph would be a decent feat!

ummm, you can skid at 5mph on black ice

scottso scottso
Sep '17

ummm, you can skid at 5mph on black ice and hit a telephone pole. The problem in your scenario is the black ice is the issue whether it's a parked car or telephone pole, so irrelevant.

Denis Denis
Sep '17

Don't think that was the point of the post scottso.

justintime justintime
Sep '17

Denis--you got a "great deal " when you bought your house.
The market adjusts for location.
You took the "discount" so enjoy your location.
Or move......

Stymie Stymie
Sep '17

I've lived in that neighborhood for 8 years and I have never had an issue with cars parked on both sides. I obviously drive on those roads multiple times every day, so cannot understand what is upsetting so many people. It's not a big deal that you have to slow down a little at times. I very, very rarely see people parked on either the S-curve on Mitchell or the S-curve on Lawrence.

Rich this is Hackettstown. People blow everything out of proportion here.

Metsman Metsman
Sep '17

@ Stymie thanks for the info, I've sold many houses in the area so I'm well aware how the market works. As I said before I do enjoy the location with my neighbors and the hatchery in the back, so no plans to move.

Denis Denis
Sep '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.