NFL 2017 Season

Did I miss the announcement where ESPN declared a search for the worst broadcasting duo in the history of sports? Rex Ryan and a Susan Waldmyn sound-alike? Are you kidding me? I usually "watch" the late game with my eyes closed and the sound up. Not tonight, lol...

ianimal ianimal
Sep '17

Actually that's probably not fair to Susan. The auditory equivalent is probably Kenny Albert undergoing gender reassignment hormone replacement. I'm going to bed, lol

ianimal ianimal
Sep '17

Train wreck! They had no idea what down it was early on.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '17

So Waldman (or her doppleganger) does football now ? And is obviously terrible at it . Can we please have the option to cancel ESPN and lower our cable bills by 6 bucks per month or so ?

97XBAM 97XBAM
Sep '17

I believe the Suzyn (My goodness gracious, he's standing in George's box ) Waldman sound a like is Beth Mowins.

Here's a little Suzyn for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fdtn0Z4o8cM

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Sep '17

Nice shutout for the Ravens' defense. How about that Carson Wentz play for the Eagles? I've seen it at least a dozen times on NFL Network :-D

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '17

Yay Ravens - exciting to watch!!! - and the Chiefs!

rleaf rleaf
Sep '17

Can we change the subject (says the Redskins fan).

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Sep '17

Yeah, Kirk Cousins is just not a good QB.

Tough game for my Beagles this week. If they can beat KC at Arrowhead, they should win the division. Odd are KC -5. Lower than I expected. One can only hope.....

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '17

Kirk Cousins not a good QB? He's easily in the top third, no? Half the teams in the league would love to have Kirk over what they're trotting out there. Not saying he's awesome or anything, but he's solid. In his two full seasons as starter he has a comp pct. in the high 60's and has thrown for over 4000 yds and has a better than 2-1 TD/Int rate.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Sep '17

Eli has to be benched! What's with the sack that the defensive guy whiffed and he still fell down. I know the offensive line is not good but he has no quickness. Time for a change.

BigBlue BigBlue
Sep '17

Time for Reese to go. Never helped the offencive line in 5 years. Haven't had a run game because of the line.

Old Gent Old Gent
Sep '17

"Not saying he's awesome or anything, but he's solid." I am going with gifted but not consistent.....yet. Exciting but also exasperating. We are ever hopeful.

After Sunday's win, just when I thought I was out, they dragged me back in.

“What’s that? What’s that?”

"You want to do Stranger a big favor, take him home. Just get him the hell out of here. Stranger, I’m doing you a favor.”

“Forget it, Stranger, it’s Redskins-town”

Apologies to the movie Chinatown.

Sep '17

The Jets would love to have Kirk Cousins.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '17

Should be an interesting Eagles game this Sunday.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '17

Is Wentz going to throw it 75 times? Is Blount going to get a single carry? I'm on pins and needles, lol.

This is only Doug Pederson's 2nd year as coach but he's already tied for the all-time Eagles record for Super Bowl championships. (-;

ianimal ianimal
Sep '17

I just want to see Eli pounded into the ground by Cox and Co.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '17

I wouldn't wish the beatings he's been taking on anyone... except maybe his horse-faced brother during one of those stupid Nationwide commercials.

ianimal ianimal
Sep '17

LMAO! I just love seeing the "stupid Eli" look on his face.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '17

Why were the Jets playing on Monday night?

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Sep '17

Pardon me while I gloat!

Cowboys lose, Giants are a train wreck, Redskins on a bye and the Eagles kick some serious butt!

4-1 Philadelphia Eagles. Woot!

Note to Garrett: Never, ever, leave Aaron Rodgers that much time on the clock. Mr. Rodgers is a treasure in the NFL. He's the finest QB in the league right now IMO.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '17

Aaron Rodgers... what a heady, precise leader - but he has tools - Adams' catch in the endzone, wow! Also big this week - did you see those Chiefs?

rleaf rleaf
Oct '17

@rleaf - I am happy the Chiefs are doing so well. It would be nice to see a new team from the AFC in the Super Bowl and they are not one of those teams with annoying players or coaches. Hard not to root for them.

@Calico696 - Congrats on the Eagles win and the Cowboys loss. Did you see when they gave Elliott that first down at the end of the game before the Packers got the ball back and won? The announcers do not mention it did not really look like he got the first down there. Looked like the officials were doing everything to hand the game to the Cowboys.

Now I will gloat, though I know it may be short-lived. My Jets are 3-2 while the Giants are 0-5! McAdoo was an awful replacement for Coughlin and should be fired with Reese their GM. And when will Eli Manning get benched? He is an awful QB and he needs to be benched already.

The Jets were supposed to "Suck for Sam" for the Draft next year, but I know they beat a hapless Browns, Dolphins and Jaguars (who looked good yesterday) and face a tough road ahead with the Patriots and Falcons in two of their next three games, but if they can even go 8-8 Todd Bowles has done a better job coaching the team then I give him credit for. McCown is a class act, on and off the field. He is no Aaron Rodgers but he is a good player who is hard not to root for.

As for announcers.... hearing James Lofton call the Jets/Jags game last week was awful. Had to mute my TV as cannot believe he replaced Solomon Wilcots who was a much better announcer. Like Tony Romo in the booth and can someone tell Fox to fix their score box as the graphics are so small and plain and CBS does a much better job producing their broadcasts. Nantz/Romo as the A team is much better than Buck/Aikman. Why Nantz/Romo did not call the Giants game yesterday, to hear Romo comment on his former NFC rival is beyond me, as they were given the weekend off.

hlposter
Oct '17

Romo is awful. He's like the annoying guy at the end of the bar who's always trying to predict what play the offense is going to run and is wrong way more often than not.

Why would CBS send their "A" Team to call a game between two 0-4 teams? Nantz/Romo also didn't have the "weekend" off; they called the Thursday night game. New England/Tampa Bay was apparently deemed the "cherry" AFC CBS network matchup this week.

ianimal ianimal
Oct '17

GO JETS!!

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
Oct '17

I hate Rodgers.

As for Zeke not getting the first down, the call was "overturned." That means that there was conclusive evidence he made the first down.

https://scontent.fphx1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/22366449_10155725827172770_6783382169813034101_n.jpg?oh=cb8281cc121c073fd1d71ad50874e72d&oe=5A731A28

emaxxman emaxxman
Oct '17

As for the "A" team doing a game between 0-4 teams, I think the size of the markets (NY and LA) was a big factor in that one. Welcome back Joe Flacco, that's the first time he looked like his old self all year.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '17

Andy, "The Bird and The Beard" called the Giants/Chargers game; hardly the A-team. The fact that they are the "B-team" shows how thin the CBS lineup actually is.

ianimal ianimal
Oct '17

How can anyone hate Rodgers? SMH He's the smartest QB in the league right now.

I agree with the bad spots in the Cowboys games. Typical though. Was Chris Christie at the game last night? LOL

Romo is horrendous. I'd rather read a StrangerDanger post than listen to him. ;-)

I'm happy for the Jets, but I can't really see them going anywhere. I hope I'm wrong.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '17

I get it ianimal that they called the Thursday Night Games but if Romo does not get the call for his former rival fighting for a win, then it should not have been the God-awful B team of Eagle and Fouts. This game should have been called by the horrendous Catalon and Lofton team then. I just think it would have been hearing Romo call this game as a former Cowboys QB and they usually do the Thursday night and then a Sunday game. I like Romo. Good energy in the booth, like a Collinsworth, Gruden or Charles Davis and he is not Phil Simms. A cadaver over Phil Simms would be an improvement and Jim Nantz seems more energetic without Simms sucking it up each week.

I hope the Jets can at least go 8-8 or 7-9 and if they do Todd Bowles gets more credit than I gave him last season. The team does not have a lot of talent, but McCown is a guy to root for - class act - like Eric Decker (who I wish the Jets kept) was. Hoping they can beat a good team this year as well, especially the fading Patriots.

hlposter
Oct '17

You'd hate Rodgers too if he did that to your Eagles team two times in a row. :-)

As a die-hard Romo fan when he was playing, I have to say, it was really tough to listen to him and Jim. I was constantly thinking, "will you please shut up?! It was like trying to watch a movie with someone constantly talking."

But what do I know? I like Aikman and Buck.

emaxxman emaxxman
Oct '17

@emaxxman - I like Aikman as a commentator but Joe Buck is awful and seems to, I hate to say, be biased in favor of certain teams, like the Cowboys yesterday. He is only there, as is the horrible Kenny Albert, because of who his Dad was.

I like Romo. He does talk a lot but he knows his stuff and he deserves the A team status with Jim Nantz. Nantz did not seem as interested in the games with Simms, so Romo is doing a good job and most the critics like his work as well. He is a good announcer who you can tell likes his job, unlike some of the other announcers. CBS has other good teams that are solid like Gumbel and Green (who should be the B team) and Harlan and Gannon (who should be the C team). Eagle and Fouts are D team-worthy at best. Horrible announcers who are way over-rated.

hlposter
Oct '17

Re: NFL 2017 Season

Some laughs...

hlposter
Oct '17

This put a smile on this Eagles fan's face. Awesome!

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '17

Love it, Calico! Hoping the Eagles beat Cam Newton tonight, as it should be a good one. Here is another one for you to enjoy as an Eagles fan!

hlposter
Oct '17

hiposter - Good one!

Word on the street now is that it's not a blackout tonight. Apparently, the Eagles will be wearing all white. :-(

More good news for Eagles fans! Zeke's suspension will happen. 6 games!

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21003461/court-clears-way-nfl-6-game-suspension-cowboys-ezekiel-elliott

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '17

That is great news, Calico about Zeke's suspension. It is about time! Looks like the Eagles win the NFC East and I am happy if my Jets make it to six wins! Still happy they were able to go 3-2 and hopefully make it a close game against the Patriots.

Here is another one for you, Calico.... sneak peek at OBJ's cleats for this Sunday!

hlposter
Oct '17

Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '17

Jets would have lost anyway, but boy did they get robbed!!!! Disgraceful call, no TD!!

Oct '17

We beat a 0-6 team 26-24 after a week off. Is that a go redskins?

We have the stuff, just can,t out jt together without somebody tripping up. Schedule not in our favor now.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Oct '17

That was the worst video replay decision ever. He had control when he hit the pylon. Like Phil Simms said the rule to overturn a call on the field has to be "Clear and convincing evidence" That was inexplicable! No body tunes in to see refs, and officials decide a game.

Denis Denis
Oct '17

Thank you Redskins for keeping me in my survivor pool this week!

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '17

Ditto that, Calico. 67 left out of 923 battling for the $21,000 prize. Another tough week coming up, though...

ianimal ianimal
Oct '17

Perhaps one of the top game winning sequences I have every seen. The Raiders pull out a spectacular win last night. That Carr is a gamer.

F you, Chiefs...

ianimal ianimal
Oct '17

Oh no! Are you out now ianimal? If so, are you *&^%$#@ nuts taking a divisional game???

Hell of an ending last night. I had the Raiders in my Pick 'em and my money pool. Woot!

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '17

It was a no-brainer, LOL... and it should never have ended the way it did. Oh, well... no biggie.

And don't worry... when you get knocked out, I'll be sure to give you a dozen reasons why your final pick was a dumb one (-;

ianimal ianimal
Oct '17

LOL, never said it was dumb, just divisional (meaning risky). I might go out this week. Who knows.....but it won't be on a divisional game. GO VIKINGS!!!! LMAO

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '17

Divisional doesn't necessarily mean risky. Personally, I would never pick any NFC East intra-divisional game, but I have no qualms about picking anyone in the AFC North to beat Cleveland. Or, in past years, for Indy to beat anyone in the AFC South (but not THIS year, obviously). Oakland went 12-4 last year, but lost to KC twice and KC was 7-1 against them over the last 4 seasons. Of course, the one loss was in Oakland on a Thursday night... but that was just a fluke (-;

Minnesota? Ah, yes... the 5-1/2 point home favorite. Good choice. We'll talk Monday (-;

I was torn between KC and Dallas, but I wouldn't touch the Purple Bowl unless there were ZERO other options.

ianimal ianimal
Oct '17

LMAO!

See, and I would never even consider choosing a team that is playing an 0-6 team. Too much of a risk of them getting their first win. After the first win, then pick away! SF has been in some close games too. Scary game for the Cowgirls.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '17

My, my, my Carson Wentz seems to look better and better each week. What a game last night! After starting off with one of the worst opening drives in football history, they made everything work in the end. How the heck do you penalize yourself practically back to the locker room? Yikes!

It was a slow start, but the Eagles proved that they were just too much for Cousins and Co. to handle. Next up San Francisco in Philly.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '17

Peters and Hicks lost for the season. Good but costly win for Philly. Wentz looks like an MVP right now. Good thing they have some wins banked. It will be a tough road without them. I think they lock up a wildcard spot at the very least if not a division win. Injuries and/or Zeke's suspension will decide the division title.

emaxxman emaxxman
Oct '17

I'm very sorry to hear that they are gone for the season, however this will be the test of how good this team really is. Having a successful season is having the "next guy" be able to step up. Not many teams make it through a whole season without at least one key injury.

Kendricks and Bradham should be able to step up on defense, however the loss of Peters on the O-line is concerning. Big V just doesn't seem comfortable. Will have to see how it shakes out.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '17

A left tackle is a right-handed QB's best friend... and Peters was one of the best in the league. A huge setback to be sure.

ianimal ianimal
Oct '17

Carson Wentz, the Dutch Destroyer and a dream come true......

Most football fans have seen this already. If you haven't, it's worth the time to watch. Just make sure you have a tissue handy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dxvc4JFQrNA&feature=share

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '17

Guys and girls keep tissues handy when watching videos for entirely different reasons. I'm thinking I won't be needing one for this particular video (-;

ianimal ianimal
Oct '17

LOL ianimal. As a dad, you may need them for this one.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '17

Said the Raven, never score. Did y'all stay up long enough to see the cat on the field? It'll probably be big on You Tube ...

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '17

Lets see if Alonso gets suspended, Flacco gave himself up but got a helmet-to-helmet hit on the head and a concussion.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '17

I think he'll get fined, but not suspended. Flacco slid way too late; Alonzo had already committed to the tackle and he can't exactly stop himself in mid-air. But driving his shoulder through Joe's cranium and ripping his helmet off in the process will definitely hit him in the wallet.

ianimal ianimal
Oct '17

And how come the dude that hit Shakiko didn't get a flag?

A cat? Will have to wait for the video.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '17

That cat was Miami's leading rusher ... LOL

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '17

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21D_XO1VThk

Here, kitty, kitty ...

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '17

Jay Ajayi to the Eagles for a 4th round pick... wow.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21235750/miami-dolphins-trade-rb-jay-ajayi-philadelphia-eagles

ianimal ianimal
Oct '17

WOW! I never saw that coming. What an awesome price tag for a great player!

Fly Eagles Fly!!!!!!!

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '17

Next they will reincarnate Steve Van Buren :-D

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '17

The Texan's Watson is out for the season. He tore his ACL in practice.

I was talking with a bunch of people at work today and was saying that you could pretty much cross the Texans off of you list to win the SB now that the Astros won the World Series. I guess it's pretty much cemented now.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '17

Baltimore was "City of Champions" when the Orioles and Colts won three months apart. New York and Pittsburgh have also held the distinction ... why not Houston if they get Kaepernick at QB? (pipe dream, eh)

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '17

Go JETS!

Nov '17

Fly Eagles Fly! Wow! Pinch me! 8-1!!!!!

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '17

DONE with the Giants - what a pitiful game today!

Me to Luca. I turned off the Tv at the third quarter. I never did that before. All those millions for a defense,and we got one year out of them.

Old Gent Old Gent
Nov '17

Wentz is amazing, and so is the defense. Ajayi seems to fit right in, too! They didn't even have Ertz today!

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '17

Things may finally be happening within the Giants...wonder how true this is.

gzellf gzellf
Nov '17

I love how the "journalist" says that "he's waiting for a reliable follow up first" AFTER he posts an unsubstantiated rumor on Twitter, lol

ianimal ianimal
Nov '17

I have to agree... JJ Watt would have been a much more deserving recipient.

ianimal ianimal
Nov '17

Watt created a fundraiser of which other people contributed to. It was a great feat and certainly deserving of praise but there was zero risk to Watt's own well-being.

Kap on the other hand took a moral stance with a great risk to his own well-being (financially as well as death threats made towards him.) In addition to that, he has pledged millions of his money, of which he has already given out portions of it, to charities for the cause.

Let's stop acting like all Kap did was kneel down.

emaxxman emaxxman
Nov '17

The state of the current NFL in a nutshell and the most funny article about the sport I've read in awhile ;

https://deadspin.com/the-nfl-cant-stick-to-sports-and-its-all-the-nfls-fault-1820504568

97XBAM 97XBAM
Nov '17

Fly Eagles Fly!!!!

Wow! What a second half performance by the Eagles last night. No kicker? No problem. Just go for two and have a linebacker kickoff.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '17

The receivers made some great catches. They looked like the 2012 Ravens, in fact, one of those guys WAS a Raven, making Jersey Joe Flacco look real good. Big holes and hard running, and those interceptions. Was fun to watch! Skip Bayless was not a happy guy this morning LOL

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '17

Whatever. Screw everyone.

emaxxman emaxxman
Nov '17

"Whatever. Screw everyone."

What crawled up your @ss and died emaxx? LOL

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '17

Looks like it is your turn to smile,Calico. Enjoy the run !!!

Old Gent Old Gent
Nov '17

Nothing. Why? Did I come off as bitter and salty? ;-)

emaxxman emaxxman
Nov '17

Sometimes it appears that the fans care more than the players ...

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '17

Love this Eagles' offense, old school wedge blocks, somewhere Chot Morrison is smiling ...:-D

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '17

Week 12 and the Eagles continue to fly high at 10-1. Two tough west coast road games coming up in Weeks 13 and 14 though.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '17

The Eagles could win the division as early as Thursday night. However, they need to keep winning to expedite their road to the Super Bowl. It's quite a race in the NFC for a first round playoff bye and that's important. You always beat bye.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '17

Fly Eagles Fly
On the road to Victory
Fight Eagles Fight

Score a touchdown 1, 2, 3

Hit'em low
Hit'em high

And watch our Eagles fly!
Fly Eagles Fly

On the Road to Victory !!! E A G L E S EAGLES !!!!!

LittlePiglet LittlePiglet
Nov '17

Well the Eagles really had a stinker last night. Mistakes on offense, defense and by the coaching staff. I figured they would lose one of the west coast games, just figure it would be LA. As bad of a game as Wentz had, he still showed some brilliance. That 4th quarter pass to Agholor when he was practically on his knees was amazing.

Hopefully they get themselves together for next week's game.

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '17

The Eagles got called for an awful lot of penalties ... can't say the refs were calling things the same way for both teams ... home field advantage is often the crowd's influence on the referees and I'm not usually one to get on officials. Russell Wilson is a hard guy to defend against ... when you've got him in trouble, that's usually when he makes his greatest plays!

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Dec '17

Thats the Eagle team you’ll see in playoffs.
Feebles. Lol.

McApoo fired. That and yesterdays loss pobably Eli’s fault, that whole things a joke.

Roywhite Roywhite
Dec '17

"Thats the Eagle team you’ll see in playoffs.
Feebles. Lol."

I wonder how the Giants will do in the playoffs? Oh wait......

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '17

No shame in losing a game in Seattle in December... happens to just about everyone who goes up there this time of year.

The important thing is that, if you face them again, it will be in Philadelphia, barring some kind of major collapse by the Eagles over the next four weeks.

Now, the Vikings, on the other hand... as of this moment, the Eagles would need to take the show on the road to the Twin Cities. That defense is phenomenal; the way they shut down the Dirty Birds yesterday was impressive, to say the least.

ianimal ianimal
Dec '17

Can we just change the subject. It’s time to change our name. And everything else. Everything.

Dec '17

Bit of bad luck with Wentz fumbling at the goal line but really a minor loss just don't lose a game during the playoffs. And who knows maybe the Eagles will finally win a SuperBowl
I think they are the only NFC East team without a SuperBowl win.

That was a potentially awful injury to Pitts Shazer tonight.
Violent injuries, stops in play, reviews, time outs, commercials, more commercials, that catch was not a catch the play is under review, all making this sport hard to watch.

Roywhite Roywhite
Dec '17

Yes, the Eagles are the only NFC East team without a Super Bowl win. In those years the Redskins, Giants, and Cowboys were winning them in the 80s and 90s, the Eagles actually had a team that could have won the AFC a few times ... and they did play very well against the other NFC East teams ... gave them fits, in fact.

The Eagles did not have less talent than Washington, NY/NJ, or Dallas. The Eagles had all-pro players all over the field. What they lacked was solid coaching.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Dec '17

Steelers vs. Ravens was some kind of a wild game. Big Ben and Antonio Brown is some kind of a passing connection, right up there with Bradshaw to Swan and Montana to Rice and Unitas to Mackey!

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Dec '17

For those who are too young to have seen him, meet John Mackey :-D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_vgG0lSZVQ

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Dec '17

That was some kind of crazy roller-coaster ride, huh, Andy? It was almost like there were three different games. I'm glad the Steelers won the last one (-;

I was afraid that the Steelers lost Bell for the season when I saw the replay of that hyperextension of his left knee. When he left the field, I thought that was it... but he came back and played relatively well. The physical resilience of these athletes is amazing. I still half expect to hear that he's going to have an MRI done this week, though. Fingers crossed... the loss of Shazier seems to have made the defense a shell of its former self; I suspect the loss of Bell will once again do the same to the offense.

Tough break for Eagles fans if the reports on Wentz are accurate. I hope not. If so, let's see if Foles can rekindle the magic he had in 2013.

ianimal ianimal
Dec '17

This John Mackey is more impressive than Mr. 331 career receptions John Mackey (doesn't even place in the top 250 in career receptions).

John Mackey
CEO of Whole Foods Market

I almost feel bad for the Eagles! Almost....LOL. He is great young QB, I'm sure he'll have many more great seasons.

Out for year.
OK Philly fans, all together now.
If only Wentz didn’t get hurt...

Roywhite Roywhite
Dec '17

Roller coaster ride is a good way to describe last night's game. Injuries are an ever-present part of the game, particularly now. Unfortunately.

At least the Eagles had the smarts to have an experienced back up QB on hand who has played in lots of big games.

I guess Mackey had to be seen to be appreciated, especially since he played in an era when running backs were the big show and when tight ends did more blocking than anything else. Mackey broke that mold and became a big-play guy who was as hard to bring down as anybody has ever been. The rules at the time did not encourage passing the way it is prevalent now. In those days the game was run first, now it is pass, pass, and pass some more.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Dec '17

Tough break for the Eagles.

I'm confident that Foles and the rest of the Eagles team can secure the number one seed and get a first round bye. Three games to go, @ Giants and then the Raiders and the Cowboys at home. After that, it's one game at a time. With a good defense and a good run game anything can happen.

On to the Giants.

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '17

The NY Giants were 11-2 in 1990 when Phil Simms was injured and out for the season. Jeff Hostetler took over at QB. The Giants won SuperBowl XXV.

Mark Bavaro - 126 games - 351 receptions - 39 TDs - 13.5 yds/R
John Mackey - 139 games - 331 receptions - 38 TDs - 15.8 yds/R

Pretty similar players. Have I ever said anything negative about Mark Bavaro, ever? By the time Mark was in the game, throwing to the tight end had become more in vogue and the passing game was opening up throughout the league. Mark had some pretty good people throwing blocks for him, too. The Giants of that era had some marvelous blocking schemes, a real strength of Parcells coached teams.

Many receivers and quarterbacks have surpassed Johnny U and company statistically through the years, it's a differently played game today.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Dec '17

The NFL network seems to have the Rams-Eagles game on a continuous loop tonight instead of their regularly scheduled programming. Can't help but think it's a deliberate tactic to avoid having to dwell on the fallout from the sexual harassment allegations against Marshall Faulk, Ike Taylor and Heath Evans...

ianimal ianimal
Dec '17

Wasn't McNabb mentioned in that too?

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '17

Doesn't someone need to actually be employed to be guilty of sexual harassment?

ianimal ianimal
Dec '17

Apparently not. LOL

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/nfl-network-sexual-harassment-marshall-faulk-donovan-mcnabb-20171212.html

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '17

I'm afraid to even high five people these days.

emaxxman emaxxman
Dec '17

emaxx - It seems you can't do or say anything to anyone anymore without offending someone. It's sad.

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '17

In all fairness, the allegations that have come out so far have been proven true for the most part. I don't think this is a case of increased sensitivity but increased sense of empowerment. Years ago, women didn't report date rape. They are much more willing to now.

As a father to a young woman, I would hate for my daughter to feel like she couldn't report an assault. I'm sure there are plenty of male victims too.

emaxxman emaxxman
Dec '17

New billboard on I-95 in Philly. They believe is Christmas miracles down there.

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '17

Their loser fans once booed Santa Claus and bombarded him with snowballs , NOT HAPPENING ! Karma will not be kind to them .

realitycheek realitycheek
Dec '17

Classic!! Boo Santa. That is some funny stuff. I remember that whole scene well.

I was at Giants game where Charger fans I think it was pelted a Santa with ice balls. Tough crowd!

Greg - You must be mistaken. It's only we loser Philly fans that do things like that. ;-)

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '17

I was at that NY vs SD game too. Day after snow storm, vast majority of the crowd (don't remember many sd fans) throwing snow balls, look for it on line, interesting site. A coach was hit in the head and injured. Of course I didn’t throw any, I was luckly under the upper deck, no snow and couldn't be hit.

Roywhite Roywhite
Dec '17

I seem to recall that it was Giants fans throwing chunks of ice at the Chargers players and coaches. One such moron had his image in flagrante delicto plastered on the front page of the Star Ledger and got fired from his job as a result, I believe.

ianimal ianimal
Dec '17

Pitt wuz robbed. Prime example of whats wrong. Bad rule, replay, BS.

Roywhite Roywhite
Dec '17

Don't blame the refs; they made the right decision. Blame Ben; he didnt...

ianimal ianimal
Dec '17

Didn’t blame refs at all. Blamed the game. Hard to enjoy it, all the flags, reviews, commercials, etc.
I’m not only one.
https://deadspin.com/nfls-worst-rule-robs-pittsburgh-of-a-win-over-new-engla-1821372652

Roywhite Roywhite
Dec '17

I saw most of that infamous Chargers at Giants game on the TV at Sports Scene, the restaurant next to the bowling alley off Route 31 Washington. The bartender was a long-time Packers fan, was fun to talk with.

The snowballs at Santa Claus game in Philly was in 1968 ... the Eagles went 2-12 that year ... fans were not exactly in the holiday spirit ... they were unhappy about getting that second win, which put them in line for the number two draft pick rather than the first. They were upset that the team DID NOT tank that game. That's the poor combination of fans, cold weather, and alcohol for you.

Trivia question --- who was the visiting team when Eagles' fans (it was just a few) threw snowballs at Santa Claus? ..............Minnesota Vikings. It has been said that the booing was directed at the fans throwing snowballs, and not at Santa :-D

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Dec '17

Pitt was robbed. It's time for the replay officials to only see real time replays. Then we will how smart they are over the officials on the field. Even at half speed they would not see the wiggle.

Old Gent Old Gent
Dec '17

The end of the Steelers game at Roywhite's house... (-;

https://www.facebook.com/NFLMemez/videos/1789582721116678/

ianimal ianimal
Dec '17

It's Week 17! These NFL seasons go so fast. Sidney Jones will make his Eagles debut today. I assume that Nate Sudfeld will come in at some point as well, since the game is absolutely meaningless.

Fly Eagles Fly!

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '17

Young players looking good !!!

Fly Eagles Fly !!!!!

Dec '17

The Ravens were a minute away ... now I know how Charlie Brown feels when Lucy pulls away the football. Too many roller coaster games this year (credit to Ian for that description after the crazy game at Pittsburgh) ... back in 2000 the defense simply swallowed up the opposition and you could sit back and enjoy the games ... watch super offense after super offense just get totally smothered ... aaaah those were the days.

Happy New Year everyone ... Steelers/Eagles Super Bowl? Would be fun for the folks in PA :-D

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '18

Go bills

Redskins woll have intetesting off season. Great team, can’t win.

Jan '18

Pitt vs Phl In SB sounds great. A 7th ring, awesome.

Roywhite Roywhite
Jan '18

I am partial Buffalo but reality usually bites me when they lose. I just don't want the Patriots to go far.

I grew up on The Mad Bomber although too young for much else. And Nehi sodas. One flippin cold stadium back then.

Jan '18

Holy crap! Jon Gruden just signed a 10 year, 100 million dollar contract with the Raiders. Yes, that's 100 million dollars......

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '18

Could have got Jay for two donkeys ;-)

Jan '18

This about sums it up.............

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '18

Between the giants going 3-13 and the disrespect shown by the players and owners to the flag and NA, I'm having a hard time caring about the NFL this season. I've been a rabid giants/football fan for 25 years. Not so much these days...

Consigliere
Jan '18

I have been a Raiders fan for more years than you have been a Giants fan and I have never let my team's performance remove my passion for playoff football. The best teams in one game playoffs where I can root for an underdog or favorite is wonderful this time of year. I hope you can look past your disappointment and find something to root for this year. I won't let 20 or 30 players ruin my interest in the other 690 players actually providing me the entertainment I want from a football game.

Two underdog wins today! I had the Falcons, but not the Titans. Some great football. Looking forward to tomorrow's games.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '18

The Saints vs. Panthers today was a thriller. The feathers will fly in Eagles vs. Falcons ... looking forward to it ... a Pennsylvania Super Bowl would be fun ... we're due for it since they've had so many contending teams over the years :-D

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '18

Some good games fer sure. The Titans somehow just kept playing and won. A nail biter for the Saints. but I want a Vikings vs Patriots SB

My job sent an e-mail offering Eagles tickets for about $220 each total.

Vikings vs. Bills would have been fun ... two 0-4 Super Bowl teams ... but not to be.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '18

So Philly is the underdog against Atlanta for Saturday's game. You know what Philly people say to that? LOL

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '18

I'd like to see the Eagles finally do it. Don't care about the remaining teams.

Mr. Resident Mr. Resident
Jan '18

Fly, Eagles, Fly ...

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '18

Wasn't that fun? EAGLES are still flying :-D

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '18

Yes it was. The D held them to 10 points

Old Gent Old Gent
Jan '18

The stats from the 2017 season showed if you can keep the Falcons under 17 points, you will win the game. It worked!

E-A-G-L-E-S.........EAGLES!

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '18

Take a bow. Take a knee. It was lots of fun. For you and me

A very good game.

Jan '18

Eagles have the momentum. This is turning into another great playoff season.

I was amazed at how little respect Nick Foles got in the week leading up to the game. This is a guy who threw SEVEN touchdown passes in a single game, with no interceptions, when he had an opportunity to play in his rhythm. He's certainly a capable quarterback. Very fortunate for the Eagles that Foles and his wife enjoyed the Philly sports scene so much that he wanted to return, even as a backup to a talented young star. The more ego-driven quarterbacks of this era would not have come back to Philly.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '18

People were basing that on the dog crap that Foles looked like in Weeks 16 & 17. Foles isn't going to win them any games, but he certainly can lose them. He needs to keep doing what he did yesterday, keep from turning the ball over.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '18

It was a great Offensive game plan by Coach Peterson to put in the Run Pass Option from Chip Kelly days. Foles is very good with that as he demonstrated in second half. His QB Rating was 100.1 for the game. Ryans QB Rating was 86.6 !! I never expected that at all !! Foles did a great job managing the game and moving the sticks. Defense stepped up with that amazing goal line stand at the end! Eagles O led Falcons in 1st Downs/3rd Down efficiency/4th Down efficiency/Rushing YDs/Passing YDs/Total YDs/Time of Possession
All that with 4 Turnovers by the O !! Exciting Intense Victory!! Fly Eagles Fly !!

Jan '18

This Steelers / Jaguar game is great!

2:00 Minute warning.....

The score should never be this high in a playoff game.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '18

Ben threw over 400 yards and still lost. Watch Now, Tom Coughlin knows how to beat New England.

Old Gent Old Gent
Jan '18

WHAT A FINISH! MInnesota. HOOOOOLY COOOOOW!

Like I said, this is intense. The game is not over till' it is over!

Looking for forum pick em thread but can't remember what it is called Help! Thanks

eapos eapos
Jan '18

I put the Saints loss on Sean Payton. They left too much time on the clock. Hubby not happy. Well, he's an Eagles fan now. ;-)

Fly Eagles Fly!

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '18

Eagles vs Falcons - Matt Ryan is a second tier QB and the Eagles escape with a bit of luck on their side, better good luck than bad luck!!

Vikings vs Saints - We (mostly Marcus Williams) see the difference between a hit and a tackle, amazing ending. oh and it does help if you actually hit the player

Jaguars vs Steelers - The NFL can still surprise me. I would say the Jags have a good defense but they did give up 42 points.

Patriots vs Titans - Patriots are the team to beat and Tom Brady is the best player in the HISTORY of the game.

Eagles/Vikings --- do these guys have the same helmets, just different colors?

This will be a fun one fer sure.

Jan '18

The Eagles got away with some awful blunders ... they'll need to clean up a few things to beat Minnesota.

I can understand Marcus Williams not wanting to be called for pass interference, but the player he hit was his own teammate.

Good commentary on the broadcast, a simple, what was he thinking? All he had to do was make a play.

I would add, YEEESH!

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '18

For Eagles fans to enjoy and for others to hate. ;-)

Carson Wentz's top 10 plays of 2017:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqXXUoHEFXk

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '18

More of the same.
http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/philadelphia-eagles/index.ssf/2018/01/photos_riot_police_on_horses_s.html#incart_river_mobileshort_home

Roywhite Roywhite
Jan '18

The Eagles deserved the win and New England will have to play better than tonight to beat them. The Eagles have the momentum this season.

Well, on the field, did the Eagles get on a roll, or what????

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '18

Stay classy Philthadelphia!

PhillyBlows PhillyBlows
Jan '18

Holy Sh@t!!! Did St. Nick just have a 300+ yd. passing game? Vikings looked like clowns. Bring it Patriots!

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '18

Vikings looked like clowns? Oh heck, the Saints had the better game; there just eas that one series....

I think Nick even closed his eyes on some of those passes. I mean everything worked so, of course, the Vikings looked bad, and unfortunately got worse. I mean the guy pulled off a flea flicker. They could have made the ole statue of liberty play work yesterday.

Congrats. And now get The Brady Bunch. Can’t wait.

Jan '18

The officials in the Patriots/Jaguars game were the true clowns.

Between the BS 40 yard pass interference call with a minute left in the first half that put the Patriots on the 10 yard line or so and the clear fumble by D. Lewis early in the 4th quarter that was going to be returned for a Jags TD that would have put them up 27-10 negated by an "inadvertant whistle", it was pretty obvious that it was 11 on 18 out there... as usual.

ianimal ianimal
Jan '18

Let us hope the officiating is more neutral on a neutral field.

It's up to the Eagles' pass rush. If they can chase Brady around, bang into him a few times, force him into bad throws, the Eagles could beat them the same way the Giants did. Also, the Eagles' running game needs to keep drives going for long stretches of time to keep the Brady bunch off the field. If Brady is allowed to just survey the field from a comfortable pocket and throw darts all over the place, forget it.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '18

yep, should be an interesting game....

rleaf rleaf
Jan '18

This gave me a chuckle.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '18

I don't' really care who wins or loses, but this sounds like pure sour grapes to me.

"The officials in the Patriots/Jaguars game were the true clowns.

Between the BS 40 yard pass interference call with a minute left in the first half that put the Patriots on the 10 yard line or so and the clear fumble by D. Lewis early in the 4th quarter that was going to be returned for a Jags TD that would have put them up 27-10 negated by an "inadvertant whistle", it was pretty obvious that it was 11 on 18 out there... as usual."

Suck it up tough guy

The Man The Man
Jan '18

Sour grapes? It's not like I'm a Jags fan. That's an accurate description of what happened.

"Suck it up tough guy"... LOL, sure thing, princess. Dream big...

ianimal ianimal
Jan '18

Find the clip of the Philly fan running into a I beam, too funny.

Roywhite Roywhite
Jan '18

You mean this one Roywhite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrB7aqfRzyE&feature=player_embedded

LMAO....what an idiot.

countryside
Jan '18

Ooooh! Didn’t see that version of it, he was performing for the crowd before his agony of defeat moment. Classic.

Roywhite Roywhite
Jan '18

Oooof! That's gonna leave a mark. What a maroon! LMAO

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '18

Here's actually a better angle of the idiot. I'm crying....I'm laughing so hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuLH0Hiueho

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '18

ianimal, the defender should have kept his hands down. I agree it didn't look like he interfered too much but his hands were in the wrong place to get the call.

This Super Bowl is a tough one for the Giants' fans who can't bring themselves to cheer for the Eagles. A guy I know who is a fanatical follower of the Giants and Yankees, told me he wants New England to win.

I reminded him about the time, at a Patriots' victory parade, when the fans started chanting "Yankees suck, Yankees suck," of course they were all Red Sox fans, too, over there in wicked Bahs-ton.

Yep, a tough one for the New York loyalists.

When the Ravens are out of the picture, I've had no problem with rooting for Pittsburgh, our big rival. AFC North pride -- you have to be a grown up about it.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '18

I'm actually seeing, on social media, that some Cowboys fans are actually going to root for the Eagles. Their reason is that they don't want the Pats to get a 6th ring. LOL

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '18

From 1984 to 1995, when Baltimore did not have a team, the Eagles were my favorite, plus whoever was playing Indianapolis.

Some folks I talked with in B-more said they also liked the Eagles, because they could not root for Washington, even though the "skins" won a couple of Super Bowls during that period of time and were pretty entertaining with the "hogs" and the "smurfs." The Baltimore folks are subjected to lots of DC talk, because the "Mid-Atlantic" sports cable stations treat the two cities as one market.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '18

Oh come on. Die hard Skins fan for decades and no problem supporting Eagles, Giants, or Dallas in the playoffs if we aint' there (and we ain't for a long, long time). Just teach those other fools what NFC-East Football is all about. Or at least used to be about......

Aaaaaaaadrian!!!!!

Jan '18

I have to give props to the Eagles. They coached and played the pants off of the Vikings. With that said, "ugh". Can't believe they're in the SB.

"'m actually seeing, on social media, that some Cowboys fans are actually going to root for the Eagles. Their reason is that they don't want the Pats to get a 6th ring. LOL"

I can sort of see this point. I rooted against the Steelers when they were playing for their sixth SB win.

I can't cheer for a division rival though. That's where I draw the line. I'll be a Pats' fan this year. I might have to take a shower and wash the gunk off afterwards.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jan '18

"Sour grapes? "
Sour grapes is sour grapes, people see things differently.
Suck it up

The Man The Man
Jan '18

"Sour grapes" is a reference to Aesop's fable "The Fox and the Grapes" in which a fox is unable to reach a bunch of grapes that dangle just beyond his grasp. He consoles himself with the belief that the grapes were probably sour anyway. I'm not sure how the fable applies to this case.

ianimal ianimal
Jan '18

Poor Millie.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '18

" I'm not sure how the fable applies to this case."

Neither do I.
And so we press on.

Peace, love, and a thin crust pizza.

The Man The Man
Jan '18

I know a Steelers fan (name withheld) who rooted against the Ravens even though a 49ers win would have been their sixth (turns out it would have given a Super Bowl championship ring to Colin Kaepernick ... we now know what he became infamous for in upcoming years) ...

the Ravens won at New England to get to that Super Bowl, so if it wasn't for Joe Flacco, Jacoby Jones, Torrey Smith and friends, the Patriots could now be playing for number 7 or the Niners would have six... one of them would have won the Super Bowl that year.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '18

Aww I can see little hearts floating from my computer screen as the Joe Flacco bromance continues.
I knew a guy who grew up in Detroit but is a Chicago Bears fan. A fellow I know lived his entire life in Warren County NJ but is a Chargers fan. A Jets fan I know hates the Giants so much he cheered for the Patriots in two SuperBowls. I remember being the ONLY Eagles fan in a barracks full of Raiders fans as they beat up on me and Philly. I know a dog who wags her tail if she hears Miami Dolphins.
and then I realised all these "I knows" are endless and pointless and nobody cares.

I met Joe Theisman.

Jan '18

Man, some of these Vikings fans are real swift. LMAO

http://www.phillyvoice.com/moron-vikings-fans-are-planning-kidnapping-eagles-fans-week-super-bowl/

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '18

Got a good story for y'all about an old friend, Ed, lifelong Eagles fan, who drove a truck for a living before retiring recently.

Flashback to January 1981, Eagles are playing the Cowboys for the NFC championship. Ed told me he knew it was the day for the big game, but he forgot that he was in Texas ... how do you forget you are in Texas???? It is so BIG ... but, I've never made a living driving a truck (sweatshops on wheels) ... so on with the story ... he sees a place along the road with a sign telling passersby that they have NFL on TV ... this is before DIRECTV NFL Sunday package ... he pulls in, sits down, orders his food, and Wilbert Montgomery scores to give the Eagles an early lead ...

Ed is going wild, cheering the touchdown, and then hears a voice behind him ... "you'd best be going, BOY" (Ed is African American) ... he pays his bill, takes the rest of his food in a brown bag and listens to the Eagles' win on the radio. A day in the life of a trucker ...

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '18

P.S. Thanks to his good judgement, he lived to see another day ...

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '18

Me too BD: I have the remastered version

Our hopes are alive with the sound of Eagles (oooh oooh oooh waaah)
With hopes they have sung for a thousand years
Philli fills my heart with the sound of Eagles
My heart wants to hope every play draws cheers

My heart wants to beat like the wings of the birds
That rise from the bench to the field
My heart wants to sigh like a chime that flies
From a stadium on a breeze
To laugh at a Brady when he trips and falls over
Eagles sack attack
To sing through the night like a Beli-Chick who is learning to pray

I go to Philli when the Redskins make me lonely
I know I will hear what I've heard before
My heart will be blessed with the sound of Eagles
And I´ll not sing "oh damn" once more

Jan '18

Good write up regarding the Eagles defense.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2755758-can-this-eagles-defense-contain-tom-brady-and-patriots-to-pull-off-upset

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '18

Chiefs agree to trade Alex Smith to the Skins.

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/35485/redskins-once-again-swing-big-for-a-quarterback-now-alex-smith-must-deliver

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '18

Colts LB Edwin Jackson was killed by an illegal immigrant, drunk driver. What a shame, he was only 26.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2018/02/05/edwin-jackson-indianapolis-colts-linebacker-was-killed-by-illegal-immigrant-police-say.html

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '18

The 49ers just made a guy with 7 starts to his name the highest paid player in the league. Five years, $137.5M with $90M guaranteed over the first three. Insane... wait until teams get some game film on him.

ianimal ianimal
Feb '18

Garapollo seems to have that hard to pinpoint "it" factor...he came in and led the 9ers to reel off 5 straight wins with the biggest bunch of nobodies in the league. The scary part is that the 49ers have plenty of money to build around him. In a league where great quarterbacks are far and few between, can't blame them for trying to lock him up now. Tag him or sign him to a shorter, cheaper contract, and he'll cost more in the long run. But with 4 years under Belichek and McDaniels, backing up Brady, he'll be ready. The 9ers went all in on him, now they have to be serious about building a real team. Garapollo was going to get a huge contract regardless, the 49ers were smart to just get it done now instead of waiting for Kirk Cousins to even further inflate the quarterback market.

Localchef Localchef
Feb '18

"the scary part is that the 49ers have plenty of money to build around him."

Yeah - second in the NFL in free cap space, even with this contract. Free Agents are going to come calling pretty darn quick.

kingcoriander kingcoriander
Feb '18

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.