DMV Question

Asking about this due to a recent occurrence to a friend

But if you are already in line, is it normal practice for DMV, upon closing time to just shut down and send everyone waiting back out?

I have never been there up to closing time, but apparently this was the only day my friend could go, he went to the one in Wayne, waited in line for a hour, and never made it to the counter. Upon closing time, they sent him away.

Darrin Darrin
Sep '17

Yes, there is a sign in the Washington DMV that states there is no guarantee of being served the same day due to closing time. I forget the exact wording but remember thinking how pissed i would be

Nosila Nosila
Sep '17

early bird gets the worm

Weedwacker Weedwacker
Sep '17

The early worm has a bird. ;-)

Wayne is a huge facility with enormous backups. They do all the written and road tests including CDL. Getting cut off at closing happens regularly, and like Washington they have a sign up.

If there were a thousand people waiting in line, what then? The DMV workers have families to get home to, as well. It sux to be the one waiting, but that's how it goes.

ChrisisFake ChrisisFake
Sep '17

Things have changed-a long time ago they locked the door 30 minutes prior to the bewitching hour and if you were in-you 'were in'!

info. info.
Sep '17

He took off work this morning to go back, got the title done, but Wayne told him they don't give plates, he has to go to North Bergen for that....

I get it, but I think it would be more efficient for DMV to throttle the amount of people before closing time, knowing what you could get done. I mean my friend waited there for a little over a hour, it's not like he just walked in at the last minute.

Darrin Darrin
Sep '17

Any one remember when the DMV was in Washington at the star plaza and it was run by five women with no computers and a stack of plates and all was hand typed those were the days

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Sep '17

Darrin - Wayne is a little bit of a mess, they have a new building going up so once they move there the logistics should be better - but he should have been able to get plates - that's a little screwy....

trekster3~ trekster3~
Sep '17

I remember when DMV was located where artic foods is now

Bug3
Sep '17

trekster3~

Actually, it depends upon what type of plates he was applying for. If it was Historic plates there are only certain MVC sites that issue them including North Bergen and the Washington location, which is where I went to get my Title reissued and Historic plates. It helps to check the website first so you can do one-stop shopping:

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Vehicle/SpecialVehiclesPlates.htm

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '17

I currently have a NYC non-drivers license and now want to get a NJ non-drivers license. Can you tell me how much this will cost. Can I do this by mail? If so, is there additional information needed. Will the NY license number be enough.

Thank you

JOAN PETRAI JOAN PETRAI
Feb '20

Since the license is a government issued ID you will need all the same items as a normal drivers license, especially with the new Real ID restrictions.

From the NJ MVC website .
https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/license/nondriverid.htm

you need all the normal 6 points of ID proof of address and the form and $24, they accept credit cards.

Also I suggest going to Washington, NJ rather than Wayne. Never taken me moe than 15 minutes to get in and out of that office.

Agust Agust
Feb '20

You can get reservations for Real ID beta test now. Took me just a few minutes; they whisked me through the lines like I had VIP status.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Feb '20

I could not get an appointment for real Id in Washington.

Timmy
Feb '20

They were filling fast; did my wife’s 5 minutes after mine and had to get the next day. As it should be he stupidly said aloud ;-(

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Feb '20

Just curious. What's the difference between getting the Real ID and our routine driver's license. They already require a lot of stuff to prove who we are. What add'l info do they ask for?

Lonesome Dove Lonesome Dove
Feb '20

https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/realid/selector.html

ianimal ianimal
Feb '20

Seemed the same to me; just follow the rules, I bring some extra ones when I can, they say funny things, take some, not others, and we move ahead..... Seemed to like four color bills n such over b&w copies... Names, addresses, important, but my SSN card does not match my Birth Certificate, they both flew.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Feb '20

The address on my license doesn't match that on my tax bill (the street sign for my road has a "W" prefix for West, but the official tax records don't...). I used what was on the street sign when I applied for the address change.

So, they were going to flag me for that, so I had to find a utility bill that DID have the W on it and have it printed out at the locksmith next door for $2...

ianimal ianimal
Feb '20

Fast thinking.....

Turns out my 1960's SSN has the wrong address (even when I lived there), the later ones drop the suffix from my Birth Certificate ---- they said "don't matter." Didn't like my electric bill, b&w, but went gaga over credit card bill --- full color.

For some time, I standardly double-down on documents so I already had both with me --- dealer's choice apparently. Also, as you found out, helps to know what each document is targeting --- name or address or ssn. So, appears name not so important when targeting SSN? Whatever ---- I just have as much as I can get, stand there smiling like an idiot, say yes to whatever, and grin n bear it.

Then you have the thing like bank statements where mine shows full account number......yeah, like I want a copy of that at DMV along with my name, address, SSN, etc. -------> so, be careful ---- I chose to leave that one at home.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Feb '20

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.